Author Topic: SpaceX Falcon 9 FT - ORBCOMM-2 - Dec. 21, 2015 (Return To Flight) DISCUSSION  (Read 1341028 times)

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
Tweet from Jeff Foust
Shotwell: going to the media too soon after a failure is dangerous: the failure’s cause is rarely what you think it is at first. #satshow

So... What about the collet in the leg that they announced pretty quickly? Did they later discover they were wrong about that?

Or are they just flat out unsure what caused this? Which seems unlikely to me, given that it was unlikely to be successful anyway...

Assuming this is about the recent landing attempt, this raises more questions than it answers.

Based on the ... admittedly thin ... context from Jeff's tweets, I would guess that refers to the CRS-7 failure, not the landing attempt that went kaboom.
It's hard to say but it feels like it. This is the thread where we discussed return to flight efforts so I moved it here. Wow am I overthinking this.
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline Mader Levap

• Liked: 447
  • Likes Given: 561
According to this, it was about launch failures in general.
Be successful.  Then tell the haters to (BLEEP) off. - deruch
...and if you have failure, tell it anyway.

Offline dorkmo

• Liked: 338
  • Likes Given: 848
from my memory it felt like musk pretty quickly tweeted some possibilites/conclusions about what went wrong. i think most everybody appreciated the rapid trasnparency. but im assume shotwell and the pr department would have rather spacex been more measured in the disclosures/statements. my persective on the shotwells comment.

Offline Johnnyhinbos

• Boston, MA
  • Liked: 8095
  • Likes Given: 943

Tweet from Jeff Foust
Shotwell: going to the media too soon after a failure is dangerous: the failure’s cause is rarely what you think it is at first. #satshow

So... What about the collet in the leg that they announced pretty quickly? Did they later discover they were wrong about that?

Or are they just flat out unsure what caused this? Which seems unlikely to me, given that it was unlikely to be successful anyway...

Assuming this is about the recent landing attempt, this raises more questions than it answers.

Based on the ... admittedly thin ... context from Jeff's tweets, I would guess that refers to the CRS-7 failure, not the landing attempt that went kaboom.
Kabloona...
John Hanzl. Author, action / adventure www.johnhanzl.com

Offline OxCartMark

• Former barge watcher now into water towers
  • Michigan
  • Liked: 2072
  • Likes Given: 1555
Does anyone know the current disposition of the recovered gadget?
Actulus Ferociter!

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
Does anyone know the current disposition of the recovered gadget?
Do you mean the stage? It's kinda big to be a "gadget" :) 

I was wondering that myself. We seem to have lost track of it?
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline Berkut

• Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 4
Did anyone happen to have downloaded this FAA document before it dissappeared?

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/ast/licenses_permits/media/LLS%2014-089%20Rev_1%20ORBCOMM-2%20-%20License%20and%20Orders%20-%20Signed.pdf

If so, could anyone please upload it here? Thanks.

Offline Flying Beaver

Made a music video using some of Space's Youtube uploads.  Its really about the past year of amazing landings, but mainly about Orbcomm-2.

Enjoy  :)

« Last Edit: 12/14/2016 08:31 pm by Flying Beaver »
Watched B1019 land in person 21/12/2015.

Offline Kansan52

• Hutchinson, KS
  • Liked: 570
  • Likes Given: 539
Steely eyed missile guys and gals!

Offline FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 81684
  • Likes Given: 36941
Fantastic National Geographic video of SpaceX employees and Elon watching the Orbcomm launch and landing:

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
Did anyone happen to have downloaded this FAA document before it dissappeared?

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/ast/licenses_permits/media/LLS%2014-089%20Rev_1%20ORBCOMM-2%20-%20License%20and%20Orders%20-%20Signed.pdf

If so, could anyone please upload it here? Thanks.

Attached - apologies for the long delay I'd stopped reading this thread before your post!

Offline Comga

• Liked: 4572
  • Likes Given: 5136
Fantastic National Geographic video of SpaceX employees and Elon watching the Orbcomm launch and landing:

This may be the wrong thread for this, but it's really cool.
(Apologies to those who thought a new post in the RTF discussion meant news about the RTF, only to find general discussion. Mods: Please move both if warranted.)

At 2:01, after stage separation, Musk is saying "This is bad."  Can you imagine the pressure and tension of watching you own multimillion dollar hardware autonomously executing something so audacious and keeping your comments G-rated?
What kind of wastrels would dump a perfectly good booster in the ocean after just one use?

Offline beck

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 1

This may be the wrong thread for this, but it's really cool.
(Apologies to those who thought a new post in the RTF discussion meant news about the RTF, only to find general discussion. Mods: Please move both if warranted.)

At 2:01, after stage separation, Musk is saying "This is bad."  Can you imagine the pressure and tension of watching you own multimillion dollar hardware autonomously executing something so audacious and keeping your comments G-rated?

I would have used more swear words, especially when they get back in and see it standing there.

There are some more SpaceX and Elon parts in the series, especially in the beginning and in the last episode.
« Last Edit: 12/21/2016 06:36 pm by beck »

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
This video (which IS awesome) has its own thread now..

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=41884.msg1622040#msg1622040

Please continue discussion there.  Thanks
« Last Edit: 12/21/2016 08:04 pm by Lar »

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 13885
  • Likes Given: 5933
[SpaceNews] Three Orbcomm OG2 satellites malfunctioning, fate to be determined
Three satellites in Orbcomm’s recently launched fleet of low-Earth orbit satellites have ceased communicating...With only 12 of 18 satellites now operating as planned, Eisenberg said Orbcomm is planning a smaller batch of third-generation satellites coined OG3 that will serve as a gapfiller.

Offline Skyrocket

• Extreme Veteran
  • Frankfurt am Main, Germany
  • Liked: 940
  • Likes Given: 172
Three satellites in Orbcomm’s recently launched fleet of low-Earth orbit satellites have ceased communicating...With only 12 of 18 satellites now operating as planned, Eisenberg said Orbcomm is planning a smaller batch of third-generation satellites coined OG3 that will serve as a gapfiller.

Orbcomm is apparently not so lucky with their replacement satellites. The QL satellites were a complete disaster and the OG2 sats have already more losses than expected.

Offline Nomadd

• Lower 48
  • Liked: 60431
  • Likes Given: 1305

Orbcomm is apparently not so lucky with their replacement satellites. The QL satellites were a complete disaster and the OG2 sats have already more losses than expected.
1 or 2 could be bad luck. 6 is something else.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.

Offline Tomness

• Into the abyss will I run
  • Liked: 289
  • Likes Given: 737

From the artical it's says they are teaming up with Inmarsat for possible solution, could they host a payload on Iridium Next sats?

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
Too bad we don't yet have our space truck to get one and bring it somewhere to be examined closely to determine what the flaw is. Fixing based on ground based data is not as likely to be the correct fix as fixes based on bench testing.

I am sad for Orbcomm but hope it had nothing to do with the launch ...

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
Bumping for 5th anniversary of the first ever successful F9 landing

https://twitter.com/astro_g_dogg/status/1341021282637373446

5 years ago today @SpaceX successfully landed a Falcon 9 rocket for the first time! It's hard to describe the energy that was in that building that day, personally - once it sank in that this really happened I totally freaked out!

Edit to add:

https://twitter.com/johnkrausphotos/status/1341109429664624641
« Last Edit: 12/21/2020 07:25 pm by FutureSpaceTourist »

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography