Author Topic: New Forum Sections  (Read 111835 times)

Offline Chris Bergin

Re: New Forum Sections
« Reply #80 on: 04/05/2016 02:32 pm »
Ok and based on the lack of likes for his post, let's place that idea in the locked cupboard next to the Liberty Rocket ;)
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
« Reply #81 on: 04/05/2016 09:09 pm »
Mr Scott's idea has some slashdot-ish/karma aspects to it. I don't know about needing enough activation energy to start a thread but maybe some sort of "call the question" idea to close down threads that have run their course might be interesting.  (if someone posts 'call the question' and it gets 10 likes, and that person then posts a key summary of the cogent points to date, and THAT gets 10 likes, the thread is closed?  .... naa... )

I like the tangential idea of not letting newbies start new threads for a while.  But spammers just will wait. Wikipedia saw every variant on ideas to throttle spammers. Actively banning them and blocking their IP addresses for a while tends to work better than throttles
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #82 on: 04/05/2016 09:38 pm »
Already said no to the idea two posts above. Although I think some people misread the idea. We'll never restrict new thread postings.
« Last Edit: 04/05/2016 09:39 pm by Chris Bergin »
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
« Reply #83 on: 04/05/2016 09:41 pm »
wasn't disagreeing, just throwing more data into the soup and perhaps validating your conclusions...
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline nadreck

« Reply #84 on: 04/05/2016 09:55 pm »

A cage match here and there might be a healthy way to keep the wildebeasts in a certain play area (mud pit pipeline).  Then the rest of us (the meek) can then inherit the rest of the Earth!

There are always PM's which can be sent to multiple participants.
It is all well and good to quote those things that made it past your confirmation bias that other people wrote, but this is a discussion board damnit! Let us know what you think! And why!

Offline QuantumG

• Australia
  • Liked: 4477
  • Likes Given: 1108
« Reply #85 on: 04/05/2016 10:45 pm »
You just described the difference between a book club where people actually read the book and every book club I've ever been to.
Human spaceflight is basically just LARPing now.

Offline mtakala24

« Reply #86 on: 04/05/2016 11:05 pm »
I can understand the difficulty of starting a topic. For obvious cases its a no-brainer - for example a new launch or space related movie news - but for the corner cases, not so much. For example, I would bet there is more scientific stuff to be discussed about certain barge stability things... and very quickly, there might be a naval technology discussion forum elsewhere in the Internet to discuss that.

That being said, there were some topics back in the day, that seemed to just disappear, never to be seen again. Being a mod now (albeit, not very active because of intent of graduation this June), I eyed the topic graveyard to see if there would be topics similar to each other there. Perhaps we could augment the Terms and Conditions thread ( http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=36479.0 ) with types of topics or a few actual examples that have been deemed off-topic or otherwise not appropriate for this forum? Would that be helpful? Just throwing this out for discussion.

Offline nadreck

« Reply #87 on: 04/05/2016 11:21 pm »
Mr Scott, I like tangents, guacamole and the chaos that the 2nd law of thermodynamics condemns us to. So I do like things the way they are now as opposed to the orderly fashion you see the world in. I would be fine with less moderation than we have here, but am willing, though not perfect at it, to abide by the rules of our environment here as it is seen as a need by others whom I respect and would chose to do what is necessary to interact with.
It is all well and good to quote those things that made it past your confirmation bias that other people wrote, but this is a discussion board damnit! Let us know what you think! And why!

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
« Reply #88 on: 04/06/2016 12:56 am »
I'm just thinking of the about plight of being a moderator.  In someways to them, being a janitor might be a step up or two versus being a moderator.  Like, I've seen people handing out towels in airport bathrooms that are more uplifting than what I've seen recently.

Don't worry about moderators. We have our own reasons for contributing.

Offline the_other_Doug

• Minneapolis, MN
  • Liked: 2191
  • Likes Given: 4620
« Reply #89 on: 04/06/2016 04:36 pm »
I like the forum the way it is.  I would respectfully suggest to Mr. Scott that if he wishes to find a cage match, there are likely sites out there that can satisfy that desire.

I just don't see this forum as in any way a competition.  It's a means to express yourself and to gain/distribute information.  Any such "cage match" mentality would turn it into a competition (by definition).

So, please don't.
-Doug  (With my shield, not yet upon it)

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #90 on: 04/06/2016 04:56 pm »
Cage match isn't happening. That sounds like a terrrrrrible idea ;D
« Last Edit: 04/06/2016 04:58 pm by Chris Bergin »

Offline mheney

• The Next Man on the Moon
  • Global Moderator
  • Silver Spring, MD
  • Liked: 398
  • Likes Given: 199
« Reply #91 on: 04/06/2016 05:27 pm »
Cage match isn't happening. That sounds like a terrrrrrible idea ;D

Too late.

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 3974
  • Likes Given: 220
« Reply #92 on: 04/06/2016 05:45 pm »
I like the forum the way it is.  I would respectfully suggest to Mr. Scott that if he wishes to find a cage match, there are likely sites out there that can satisfy that desire.

I just don't see this forum as in any way a competition.  It's a means to express yourself and to gain/distribute information.  Any such "cage match" mentality would turn it into a competition (by definition).

So, please don't.

Completely agree. I could only look on with horror at the suggestions recently being made in this thread that seemed to utterly miss the spirit of this forum.

Offline MIKKELH

• Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #93 on: 04/07/2016 09:22 am »
Just a question on formatting... Would it be possible to organise sub-forums in this site? I see that frequently the topics get too broad spectrum, which makes it difficult to follow a specific discussion, or to find what you are looking for. However, just throwing the things into their own forums often removes the inherent associations they have with each other. It would be nice if things could be more conveniently grouped heirarchically.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #94 on: 05/30/2017 09:40 pm »
Yearly check to see if we have enough threads to warrant a new section for something.

Remember, needs to be a section required. Can't start a new section for 10 threads.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #95 on: 05/31/2017 10:23 pm »
PS Suggestions should be posted here, not PM'ed to me. I want to see what the community thinks of suggestions ;)

Offline Paul451

• Australia
  • Liked: 2518
  • Likes Given: 2181
« Reply #96 on: 06/01/2017 08:27 am »
1) Interstellar missions / project starshot type of discussions
2) Colonization technology
3) International missions (collaborative international cross-agency missions to the moon, etc).
4) Astronauts
5) Space Phenomena. When there's a comet in town, people want to know where to check it out. Mira tends to vary.  And there is always a star emitting some sort of signal that gets the fake news starting their covfefe.
6) Fusion Power
7) Nihilistic Data, Common Discussions of Doom, Planetary Extinction, A Global Warming Dashboard/Metrics Scoreboard, Total Global Catastrophe / Survival Management, Steven Hawking's Fear of the Week.  Could get a lot of commentary, certainly will keep the fire burning. At the dumpsters will be located in one spot.

Can't see that any of these have enough threads to require there own section.

1, 2, 6, & space-related 7 all typically end up in Advanced Concepts, and I can't see that there's so many threads to split any of them out. (Most of your suggestions for 7 that aren't space-related don't seem like healthy additions to NSF.) Speculative 5 goes in AC, mundane reporting goes in Space Science Coverage. 4 is usually mission related (previously Shuttle sections, currently ISS sections.) 3 goes in whatever section is appropriate: ISS, Missions-To-X, International Spaceflight, etc. If there were a major international manned mission to the moon or Mars, it would quickly pick up not only a section, but its own group of sections. But there's no reason to anticipate it.

I would suggest that the Space Science Coverage section could be expanded in scope and renamed "Astronomy, Planetology and Space Science", and not be limited to spacecraft-based science reporting/discussion, but to any space science (including ground-based results, theoretical science, and amateur astronomy). But that depends on whether Chris wants to expand the site from "Spaceflight" to "Space".

Offline Paul451

• Australia
  • Liked: 2518
  • Likes Given: 2181
« Reply #97 on: 06/01/2017 08:32 am »
Not sure how it would work in practice, but it would be handy to have a way of sorting threads (especially update threads) on upcoming launches chronologically by expected launch date (or launch order).

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 13885
  • Likes Given: 5933
« Reply #98 on: 06/01/2017 01:56 pm »
It probably wouldn't get too many threads but a place to put information about future payloads (satellite constellations, DoD competitions, etc.) that haven't been assigned to a launcher yet could be handy.

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4673
  • Likes Given: 768
« Reply #99 on: 06/01/2017 02:33 pm »
It probably wouldn't get too many threads but a place to put information about future payloads (satellite constellations, DoD competitions, etc.) that haven't been assigned to a launcher yet could be handy.
Section. for launched Satellites with launch threads staying in their current sections.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography