Author Topic: New Forum Sections  (Read 111814 times)

Online Chris Bergin

Re: New Forum Sections
« Reply #20 on: 05/27/2015 08:05 pm »
Remember to read the opening post. New sections for large amounts of EXISTING subjects/threads. Not brand new sections for brand new topics. Goodness knows what the factchecking section was about....but no. ;D

And no to EM Drive. That's only about four threads. Let's keep those clever sods in the advanced section.

This Spaceflight Entertainment and Hobbies idea is superb, however. That's going to happen.
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline mtakala24

« Reply #21 on: 05/27/2015 11:04 pm »
This Spaceflight Entertainment and Hobbies idea is superb, however. That's going to happen.

I feel that there are not enough threads for books, games, movies, modeling, etc. on their own. My previous suggestion was just a forum that would include all of them in one place, and that could be further split up sometime in the future if needed. But you shall make the hard decisions :)

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 3974
  • Likes Given: 220
« Reply #22 on: 05/28/2015 07:53 am »

I feel that there are not enough threads for books, games, movies, modeling, etc. on their own. My previous suggestion was just a forum that would include all of them in one place, and that could be further split up sometime in the future if needed. But you shall make the hard decisions :)

Agree it's probably the most obvious thing to add to this forum. You just know that people will be itching to discuss the new Star Wars film when it's released.:)

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #23 on: 05/28/2015 09:47 am »
Oh yes, I was thinking "one section" per the Spaceflight Entertainment and Hobbies. Not one for books and one for movies and such. One section.

Will set it up at the weekend.
« Last Edit: 05/28/2015 09:47 am by Chris Bergin »
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #24 on: 06/01/2015 12:15 pm »
Spaceflight Entertainment and Hobbies Section now seeing threads moved into it. A lot more to move, but the first 20 pages from the General section has been checked for related threads (and there were a lot of them). We'll move the rest as we go.

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #25 on: 06/01/2015 12:16 pm »
So I also saw a fair number of threads about space flight colleges and career options. It wouldn't be a very big section to start with, but it'd be an important one to have. Heck, if we help one student or one person looking at careers then it'd be worth it.

"Aerospace Education, Colleges and Careers Section"?

Offline topsphere

• Liked: 69
  • Likes Given: 159
« Reply #26 on: 06/01/2015 04:25 pm »
So I also saw a fair number of threads about space flight colleges and career options. It wouldn't be a very big section to start with, but it'd be an important one to have. Heck, if we help one student or one person looking at careers then it'd be worth it.

"Aerospace Education, Colleges and Careers Section"?

This is a very good idea.

Offline R7

• Propulsophile
    • Don't worry.. we can still be fans of OSC and SNC
  • Liked: 992
  • Likes Given: 668
« Reply #27 on: 06/07/2015 04:58 pm »
Milspace section for X-37, XS-1, Keyhole speculations etc?
AD·ASTRA·ASTRORVM·GRATIA

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #28 on: 06/21/2015 09:47 pm »
New section:

Aerospace Education/Colleges/Careers
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?board=71.0

There was a lot of threads relating to this, so that's off to a good start.

Offline nadreck

« Reply #29 on: 06/21/2015 10:56 pm »
Hmm in the new education etc section I am not offered the opportunity to like the replies of the thread forming posts:

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=37861.0

I can like the first post but not the replies
It is all well and good to quote those things that made it past your confirmation bias that other people wrote, but this is a discussion board damnit! Let us know what you think! And why!

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #30 on: 06/21/2015 11:16 pm »
Sorry, that was me messing up the permissions. Will work now ;)

Offline Paul451

• Australia
  • Liked: 2518
  • Likes Given: 2180
« Reply #31 on: 07/20/2015 06:35 pm »
Belatedly,

Maybe EM-Drive could be split out of Advanced Concepts into its own category.
[Chris says no]

How about separating out experimental (and fringe) hardware actually being worked on into its own section: "Technology Development" in the General Discussion area, very pointedly placed just above Advanced Concepts.

Threads moved there would be: EmDrive, REL Skylon, VASIMR, Electric thrusters, 3D Printed Engines/Uses, D-Wave, LENR, Focus Fusion, Tethers Unlimited, etc, all from Advanced Concepts section; Depots, Cubesat/Nanosat Missions/Tech, Copenhagen Suborbitals, all from the ISS:In-space Hardware sub-section (actually that whole sub-section needs a spring-clean.) And probably a scattering of other threads that have crufted onto random sections, for want of a more logical home.

Basically, if you can put a company name to the concept, or people are actually bending metal or testing in labs, and it doesn't have its own home already, it goes in Technology Development. If it's just about the idea itself, it goes in Advanced Concepts. If it's already got a launch date, it goes into a suitable mission section.

I think reorganizing the three "Missions" sections in "HLV / SLS / Orion / Constellation" into a new BEO section "Missions Beyond Earth Orbit" would be a logical name and maybe add a couple more categories in there to address main belt asteroids and beyond, and other (Venus, Mercury, and eccentric orbits).

The HLV/SLS/Orion/Constellation area could probably be renamed. "Human Spaceflight Beyond Earth Orbit"?

And while I'm reorganising the site...

Can I suggest renaming the current NASA Shuttle Specific Sections area as "Historical Spaceflight Sections" and adding the Historical Spaceflight section from the General Discussion area, and the Cancelled Ares I and Ares Tests section from HLV/SLS/Orion/Constellation area, to the existing four specific Shuttle section.

Actually, the current Historical Spaceflight section could then be split into two sub-sections, Actual and Never Flown. It's a busy section, so there's plenty of threads to populate two separate sections. (Perhaps called, "Historical Missions" and "Historical Proposed Concepts, Papers & Art"?)
« Last Edit: 07/20/2015 06:41 pm by Paul451 »

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #32 on: 07/20/2015 08:47 pm »
I like the idea of moving the EM Drive and such into another section. Huge interest in it, but not the sort of thing I set the site up to cover.

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 3974
  • Likes Given: 220
« Reply #33 on: 07/20/2015 09:30 pm »

I like the idea of moving the EM Drive and such into another section. Huge interest in it, but not the sort of thing I set the site up to cover.

What would you call the section though?

Offline Eer

• Liked: 466
  • Likes Given: 913
« Reply #34 on: 07/20/2015 09:34 pm »

If you want to encourage more of the same sorts of things, treat it as some sort of Collaborative Efforts section.

If not, then something like "Pragmatic Optimists" section ;-)
From "The Rhetoric of Interstellar Flight", by Paul Gilster, March 10, 2011: We’ll build a future in space one dogged step at a time, and when asked how long humanity will struggle before reaching the stars, we’ll respond, “As long as it takes.”

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #35 on: 07/20/2015 10:55 pm »

"The Q Continuum Section" ;D

« Last Edit: 07/20/2015 10:56 pm by Chris Bergin »

Offline Thorny

• Regular
  • San Angelo, Texas
  • Liked: 300
  • Likes Given: 457
« Reply #36 on: 07/26/2015 03:41 pm »
I know it would be a lot of work, but how about making a "Historical Manned Spaceflight" main section (i.e., like the "General Discussion", "International Space Station (ISS)", etc. headers), and relocating the Space Shuttle section there instead of Shuttle still having its own main section (I still miss the Shuttle, but it is history now.) Vostok, Mercury, Gemini , Soyuz, Apollo, etc. discussions from the Historical Spaceflight section (which is 151 pages and counting) could be relocated there, too. The current Historical Spaceflight forum could be renamed Historical Unmanned Spaceflight or something similar to differentiate.

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #37 on: 07/27/2015 12:17 pm »
I know it would be a lot of work, but how about making a "Historical Manned Spaceflight" main section.

Huge amount of work, as you note, and you'd want things like Soyuz in there? The historical Soyuz missions, I'm sure, but then you've got it in several sections. Doesn't work as the main demand areas will be the new items. We have historical areas, but that's not our strengths.

And....moving Shuttle again?

..and relocating the Space Shuttle section there instead of Shuttle still having its own main section (I still miss the Shuttle, but it is history now.)

;) Remember, that is our foundation. Without that we wouldn't have this site. We will forever give Shuttle the honor (as much as we're talking about a forum section...whoopee) of having their own section.
« Last Edit: 07/27/2015 12:22 pm by Chris Bergin »

Offline Thorny

• Regular
  • San Angelo, Texas
  • Liked: 300
  • Likes Given: 457
« Reply #38 on: 07/27/2015 02:32 pm »
We have historical areas, but that's not our strengths.

I understand your point, but I caution against downplaying the historical section. That is why I pay the subscription. The news site info I can get in other places (spaceflightnow, space news, aviation week) albeit maybe a week or two later. But nowhere else is there such a wealth of data like Ed Kyle's classic Atlas and Titan imagery threads. Even classic data from early Shuttle missions is easier to find here than on NASA's own labyrinthian website. I actually consider it this site's greatest strength. That's why I suggested you give it a more prominent position on the front page.

Offline Paul451

• Australia
  • Liked: 2518
  • Likes Given: 2180
« Reply #39 on: 07/27/2015 11:15 pm »
We have historical areas, but that's not our strengths.
I understand your point, but I caution against downplaying the historical section. That is why I pay the subscription. The news site info I can get in other places (spaceflightnow, space news, aviation week) albeit maybe a week or two later. But nowhere else is there such a wealth of data like Ed Kyle's classic Atlas and Titan imagery threads. Even classic data from early Shuttle missions is easier to find here than on NASA's own labyrinthian website. I actually consider it this site's greatest strength. That's why I suggested you give it a more prominent position on the front page.

Hence my own suggestion:

Historical Spaceflight Sections
Discovery (Post-STS-133, T&R)
Atlantis (Post STS-135, T&R)
Endeavour (Post-STS-134, T&R)
Shuttle History - Pre-RTF
Cancelled Ares I and Ares Tests
Historical Missions (inc. Documents, Photos & Art)
Historical Proposed Concepts, Papers & Art

The last two being the current "Historical Spaceflight" section (in General Discussion) split into two logical categories.

There might even be enough traffic to also split out "Historical Launchers" and "Cancelled Programs" from the current Historical Spaceflight section. Giving four new sections and a nicely fleshed out group.

In which case...

Historical Spaceflight Sections
Discovery (Post-STS-133, T&R)
Atlantis (Post STS-135, T&R)
Endeavour (Post-STS-134, T&R)
Shuttle History - Pre-RTF
Cancelled Ares I and Ares Tests
Historical Missions (inc. Documents, Photos & Art)
Historical Launchers
Historical Proposed Concepts, Papers & Art
Cancelled Programs

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography