Author Topic: New Forum Sections  (Read 111694 times)

Offline Chris Bergin

New Forum Sections
« on: 05/27/2015 11:28 am »
Suggestions can be posted in the Suggestion Box below. ;D

Already thinking a section for all these space related media like TV shows and movies as we have a lot of threads on that and they are dominating the general section.

And that's the thing. A new forum section needs to have a good number of threads already, otherwise it would be a very bare section that would look out of place in the forum menu.

However, I do like the idea of perhaps a new section we can build for students and aerospace schools.

Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline jacqmans

• Global Moderator
  • Houten, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 8555
  • Likes Given: 320
Re: New Forum Sections
« Reply #1 on: 05/27/2015 01:09 pm »
An ESA (European) section to put in (ESA) European news other that rocket launches. (Other ESA news story's or DLR or CNES news)

So NON Ariane, VEGA news so to say.
Jacques :-)

Offline Hog

• Woodstock
  • Liked: 1700
  • Likes Given: 6867
« Reply #2 on: 05/27/2015 01:36 pm »
There are forty (40) open public sections already.

The students/schools idea is an interesting one.

Still waiting for the Shuttle Dependence Support section.  Coming up on 4 years post-STS and I still have STS-mission cravings.  The launch videos still raise the hair on my arms.  I mean come-on, a twang movement?-Pure awesomeness!

Paul

Offline DatUser14

• Liked: 191
  • Likes Given: 651
« Reply #3 on: 05/27/2015 01:40 pm »
A Topic (at the extreme bottom) for discussion of space games like Orbiter Space Flight Simulator or Kerbal Space Program? probably not right for a forum of this caliber.
Titan IVB was a cool rocket

Offline Space Pete

« Reply #4 on: 05/27/2015 01:47 pm »
A separate ISS Live events section, and ISS General Discussion section, both as sub-forums under the main ISS section heading.

If it was up to Chris we'd have a York City FC section. :D
NASASpaceflight ISS Editor

Offline mhlas7

• Liked: 54
  • Likes Given: 721
« Reply #5 on: 05/27/2015 01:54 pm »
An ESA (European) section to put in (ESA) European news other that rocket launches. (Other ESA news story's or DLR or CNES news)

So NON Ariane, VEGA news so to say.
How about separate sections for ESA and Arianespace

Offline rcoppola

• USA
  • Liked: 1967
  • Likes Given: 968
« Reply #6 on: 05/27/2015 02:14 pm »
You may as well re-architect the main menu while you're at it.

For instance, sacrilege it may be, does it continue to make sense to have "Shuttle" in-between Commercial and SLS/Orion?
Sail the oceans of space and set foot upon new lands!
http://www.stormsurgemedia.com

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #7 on: 05/27/2015 02:33 pm »
A separate ISS Live events section, and ISS General Discussion section, both as sub-forums under the main ISS section heading.

York City FC section going live in an hour!!!!! ;)

I'll be converting Americans, one American at a time. Operation Hearts and Minds! ;D
« Last Edit: 05/27/2015 02:33 pm by Chris Bergin »
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #8 on: 05/27/2015 02:38 pm »
You may as well re-architect the main menu while you're at it.

For instance, sacrilege it may be, does it continue to make sense to have "Shuttle" in-between Commercial and SLS/Orion?

We already moved it down once and that was painful enough. NO! NO NO NO NO!! ;)

Online Galactic Penguin SST

« Reply #9 on: 05/27/2015 02:47 pm »
Not sure if there are that many people who would be interested in these two sections, but I think they are the most glaring missing sections out there:

1. A section dedicated to the business uses of spaceflight that does not touch rockets or new "innovative" technology, such as telecommunications (comsat contracts), GPS usage, commercial Earth imaging etc. There are other websites which specifically targets them, but I think some discussion of these areas might be good and I don't think they will fit in the current "General Commercial Spaceflight" section.

2. Not sure if we can even attract those who are interested, but since we have a Space Science Section why not a dedicated "Earth Observation from Space" section? I don't think there are any forums out there targeting this area, maybe we can get geologists, environmentalists and others who are interested in EO & Spaceflight to here.  ;)
Astronomy & spaceflight geek penguin. In a relationship w/ Space Shuttle Discovery. Current Priority: Chasing the Chinese Spaceflight Wonder Egg & A Certain Chinese Mars Rover

Offline kirghizstan

• Liked: 179
  • Likes Given: 86
« Reply #10 on: 05/27/2015 02:52 pm »

York City FC section going live in an hour!!!!! ;)

I'll be converting Americans, one American at a time. Operation Hearts and Minds! ;D

We, like FIFA, take bribes  ;)

Sorry OT!!!

Offline Eer

• Liked: 460
  • Likes Given: 909
« Reply #11 on: 05/27/2015 03:23 pm »
A Topic (at the extreme bottom) for discussion of space games like Orbiter Space Flight Simulator or Kerbal Space Program? probably not right for a forum of this caliber.

Oh, I don't know - put the modeling and 3d modeling simulation topics with it and call it some sort of hobbyist corner or some such.

games, crafts (paper models, plastic models), amateur (rockets, miniature 3d rocket engines), drones, etc.
From "The Rhetoric of Interstellar Flight", by Paul Gilster, March 10, 2011: We’ll build a future in space one dogged step at a time, and when asked how long humanity will struggle before reaching the stars, we’ll respond, “As long as it takes.”

Offline DatUser14

• Liked: 191
  • Likes Given: 651
« Reply #12 on: 05/27/2015 03:25 pm »

Oh, I don't know - put the modeling and 3d modeling simulation topics with it and call it some sort of hobbyist corner or some such.

games, crafts (paper models, plastic models), amateur (rockets, miniature 3d rocket engines), drones, etc.
better idea, I like this.
Titan IVB was a cool rocket

Offline NovaSilisko

• Liked: 1440
  • Likes Given: 1301
« Reply #13 on: 05/27/2015 03:27 pm »

That'd be nice. Throw in space books as well, fiction and nonfiction (maybe one thread for each? though that could get confusing)

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #14 on: 05/27/2015 04:25 pm »

Interesting!

Good stuff, keep the suggestions coming!

Offline fgonella

• Liked: 11
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #15 on: 05/27/2015 04:47 pm »
I second the ESA / Aroanespace split.
I would also like a stargazing / sky observation section (is it tangent enough to space flight?)

Offline mtakala24

« Reply #16 on: 05/27/2015 04:50 pm »
I think a "Spaceflight Entertainment" would consolidate all relevant book/game/television/movies topics into one forum.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #17 on: 05/27/2015 05:07 pm »
I second the ESA / Aroanespace split.
I would also like a stargazing / sky observation section (is it tangent enough to space flight?)

Errrrrrr, I pulled a bit of a face at the stargazing element. We'd be moving into astronomy and that's not really our bag. Need to stay space flight specific.

Liking the Spaceflight Entertainment idea as a section header.

Offline nadreck

« Reply #18 on: 05/27/2015 05:30 pm »
I think reorganizing the three "Missions" sections in "HLV / SLS / Orion / Constellation" into a new BEO section "Missions Beyond Earth Orbit" would be a logical name and maybe add a couple more categories in there to address main belt asteroids and beyond, and other (Venus, Mercury, and eccentric orbits).

Maybe EM-Drive could be split out of Advanced Concepts into its own category.

And while it is probably to early, someday under commercial space, a stations section.

It is all well and good to quote those things that made it past your confirmation bias that other people wrote, but this is a discussion board damnit! Let us know what you think! And why!

Offline the_other_Doug

• Minneapolis, MN
  • Liked: 2191
  • Likes Given: 4620
« Reply #19 on: 05/27/2015 07:10 pm »
I think a "Spaceflight Entertainment" would consolidate all relevant book/game/television/movies topics into one forum.

Call it "Hobbies & Entertainment" and include space modeling in it.  Maybe even a section intended as a help resource for writers looking for fact and "truthiness" checks for their projects.

I'd love to see a special section in which Jim takes on complex questions and issues.  The challenge is to see in how few words he can respond to, or dismiss, the most complex questions.  I know this is likely to not get approved, but it would be the most fun thread to follow in the entire forum... :D
-Doug  (With my shield, not yet upon it)

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #20 on: 05/27/2015 08:05 pm »
Remember to read the opening post. New sections for large amounts of EXISTING subjects/threads. Not brand new sections for brand new topics. Goodness knows what the factchecking section was about....but no. ;D

And no to EM Drive. That's only about four threads. Let's keep those clever sods in the advanced section.

This Spaceflight Entertainment and Hobbies idea is superb, however. That's going to happen.

Offline mtakala24

« Reply #21 on: 05/27/2015 11:04 pm »
This Spaceflight Entertainment and Hobbies idea is superb, however. That's going to happen.

I feel that there are not enough threads for books, games, movies, modeling, etc. on their own. My previous suggestion was just a forum that would include all of them in one place, and that could be further split up sometime in the future if needed. But you shall make the hard decisions :)

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 3968
  • Likes Given: 220
« Reply #22 on: 05/28/2015 07:53 am »

I feel that there are not enough threads for books, games, movies, modeling, etc. on their own. My previous suggestion was just a forum that would include all of them in one place, and that could be further split up sometime in the future if needed. But you shall make the hard decisions :)

Agree it's probably the most obvious thing to add to this forum. You just know that people will be itching to discuss the new Star Wars film when it's released.:)

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #23 on: 05/28/2015 09:47 am »
Oh yes, I was thinking "one section" per the Spaceflight Entertainment and Hobbies. Not one for books and one for movies and such. One section.

Will set it up at the weekend.
« Last Edit: 05/28/2015 09:47 am by Chris Bergin »

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #24 on: 06/01/2015 12:15 pm »
Spaceflight Entertainment and Hobbies Section now seeing threads moved into it. A lot more to move, but the first 20 pages from the General section has been checked for related threads (and there were a lot of them). We'll move the rest as we go.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #25 on: 06/01/2015 12:16 pm »
So I also saw a fair number of threads about space flight colleges and career options. It wouldn't be a very big section to start with, but it'd be an important one to have. Heck, if we help one student or one person looking at careers then it'd be worth it.

"Aerospace Education, Colleges and Careers Section"?

Offline topsphere

• Liked: 69
  • Likes Given: 159
« Reply #26 on: 06/01/2015 04:25 pm »
So I also saw a fair number of threads about space flight colleges and career options. It wouldn't be a very big section to start with, but it'd be an important one to have. Heck, if we help one student or one person looking at careers then it'd be worth it.

"Aerospace Education, Colleges and Careers Section"?

This is a very good idea.

Offline R7

• Propulsophile
    • Don't worry.. we can still be fans of OSC and SNC
  • Liked: 992
  • Likes Given: 668
« Reply #27 on: 06/07/2015 04:58 pm »
Milspace section for X-37, XS-1, Keyhole speculations etc?
AD·ASTRA·ASTRORVM·GRATIA

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #28 on: 06/21/2015 09:47 pm »
New section:

Aerospace Education/Colleges/Careers
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?board=71.0

There was a lot of threads relating to this, so that's off to a good start.

Offline nadreck

« Reply #29 on: 06/21/2015 10:56 pm »
Hmm in the new education etc section I am not offered the opportunity to like the replies of the thread forming posts:

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=37861.0

I can like the first post but not the replies
It is all well and good to quote those things that made it past your confirmation bias that other people wrote, but this is a discussion board damnit! Let us know what you think! And why!

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #30 on: 06/21/2015 11:16 pm »
Sorry, that was me messing up the permissions. Will work now ;)

Offline Paul451

• Australia
  • Liked: 2514
  • Likes Given: 2177
« Reply #31 on: 07/20/2015 06:35 pm »
Belatedly,

Maybe EM-Drive could be split out of Advanced Concepts into its own category.
[Chris says no]

How about separating out experimental (and fringe) hardware actually being worked on into its own section: "Technology Development" in the General Discussion area, very pointedly placed just above Advanced Concepts.

Threads moved there would be: EmDrive, REL Skylon, VASIMR, Electric thrusters, 3D Printed Engines/Uses, D-Wave, LENR, Focus Fusion, Tethers Unlimited, etc, all from Advanced Concepts section; Depots, Cubesat/Nanosat Missions/Tech, Copenhagen Suborbitals, all from the ISS:In-space Hardware sub-section (actually that whole sub-section needs a spring-clean.) And probably a scattering of other threads that have crufted onto random sections, for want of a more logical home.

Basically, if you can put a company name to the concept, or people are actually bending metal or testing in labs, and it doesn't have its own home already, it goes in Technology Development. If it's just about the idea itself, it goes in Advanced Concepts. If it's already got a launch date, it goes into a suitable mission section.

I think reorganizing the three "Missions" sections in "HLV / SLS / Orion / Constellation" into a new BEO section "Missions Beyond Earth Orbit" would be a logical name and maybe add a couple more categories in there to address main belt asteroids and beyond, and other (Venus, Mercury, and eccentric orbits).

The HLV/SLS/Orion/Constellation area could probably be renamed. "Human Spaceflight Beyond Earth Orbit"?

And while I'm reorganising the site...

Can I suggest renaming the current NASA Shuttle Specific Sections area as "Historical Spaceflight Sections" and adding the Historical Spaceflight section from the General Discussion area, and the Cancelled Ares I and Ares Tests section from HLV/SLS/Orion/Constellation area, to the existing four specific Shuttle section.

Actually, the current Historical Spaceflight section could then be split into two sub-sections, Actual and Never Flown. It's a busy section, so there's plenty of threads to populate two separate sections. (Perhaps called, "Historical Missions" and "Historical Proposed Concepts, Papers & Art"?)
« Last Edit: 07/20/2015 06:41 pm by Paul451 »

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #32 on: 07/20/2015 08:47 pm »
I like the idea of moving the EM Drive and such into another section. Huge interest in it, but not the sort of thing I set the site up to cover.

Offline Star One

• UK
« Reply #33 on: 07/20/2015 09:30 pm »

I like the idea of moving the EM Drive and such into another section. Huge interest in it, but not the sort of thing I set the site up to cover.

What would you call the section though?

Offline Eer

« Reply #34 on: 07/20/2015 09:34 pm »

If you want to encourage more of the same sorts of things, treat it as some sort of Collaborative Efforts section.

If not, then something like "Pragmatic Optimists" section ;-)
From "The Rhetoric of Interstellar Flight", by Paul Gilster, March 10, 2011: We’ll build a future in space one dogged step at a time, and when asked how long humanity will struggle before reaching the stars, we’ll respond, “As long as it takes.”

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #35 on: 07/20/2015 10:55 pm »

"The Q Continuum Section" ;D

« Last Edit: 07/20/2015 10:56 pm by Chris Bergin »

Offline Thorny

• Regular
  • San Angelo, Texas
  • Liked: 300
  • Likes Given: 457
« Reply #36 on: 07/26/2015 03:41 pm »
I know it would be a lot of work, but how about making a "Historical Manned Spaceflight" main section (i.e., like the "General Discussion", "International Space Station (ISS)", etc. headers), and relocating the Space Shuttle section there instead of Shuttle still having its own main section (I still miss the Shuttle, but it is history now.) Vostok, Mercury, Gemini , Soyuz, Apollo, etc. discussions from the Historical Spaceflight section (which is 151 pages and counting) could be relocated there, too. The current Historical Spaceflight forum could be renamed Historical Unmanned Spaceflight or something similar to differentiate.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #37 on: 07/27/2015 12:17 pm »
I know it would be a lot of work, but how about making a "Historical Manned Spaceflight" main section.

Huge amount of work, as you note, and you'd want things like Soyuz in there? The historical Soyuz missions, I'm sure, but then you've got it in several sections. Doesn't work as the main demand areas will be the new items. We have historical areas, but that's not our strengths.

And....moving Shuttle again?

..and relocating the Space Shuttle section there instead of Shuttle still having its own main section (I still miss the Shuttle, but it is history now.)

;) Remember, that is our foundation. Without that we wouldn't have this site. We will forever give Shuttle the honor (as much as we're talking about a forum section...whoopee) of having their own section.
« Last Edit: 07/27/2015 12:22 pm by Chris Bergin »

Offline Thorny

• Regular
  • San Angelo, Texas
  • Liked: 300
  • Likes Given: 457
« Reply #38 on: 07/27/2015 02:32 pm »
We have historical areas, but that's not our strengths.

I understand your point, but I caution against downplaying the historical section. That is why I pay the subscription. The news site info I can get in other places (spaceflightnow, space news, aviation week) albeit maybe a week or two later. But nowhere else is there such a wealth of data like Ed Kyle's classic Atlas and Titan imagery threads. Even classic data from early Shuttle missions is easier to find here than on NASA's own labyrinthian website. I actually consider it this site's greatest strength. That's why I suggested you give it a more prominent position on the front page.

Offline Paul451

• Australia
« Reply #39 on: 07/27/2015 11:15 pm »
We have historical areas, but that's not our strengths.
I understand your point, but I caution against downplaying the historical section. That is why I pay the subscription. The news site info I can get in other places (spaceflightnow, space news, aviation week) albeit maybe a week or two later. But nowhere else is there such a wealth of data like Ed Kyle's classic Atlas and Titan imagery threads. Even classic data from early Shuttle missions is easier to find here than on NASA's own labyrinthian website. I actually consider it this site's greatest strength. That's why I suggested you give it a more prominent position on the front page.

Hence my own suggestion:

Historical Spaceflight Sections
Discovery (Post-STS-133, T&R)
Atlantis (Post STS-135, T&R)
Endeavour (Post-STS-134, T&R)
Shuttle History - Pre-RTF
Cancelled Ares I and Ares Tests
Historical Missions (inc. Documents, Photos & Art)
Historical Proposed Concepts, Papers & Art

The last two being the current "Historical Spaceflight" section (in General Discussion) split into two logical categories.

There might even be enough traffic to also split out "Historical Launchers" and "Cancelled Programs" from the current Historical Spaceflight section. Giving four new sections and a nicely fleshed out group.

In which case...

Historical Spaceflight Sections
Discovery (Post-STS-133, T&R)
Atlantis (Post STS-135, T&R)
Endeavour (Post-STS-134, T&R)
Shuttle History - Pre-RTF
Cancelled Ares I and Ares Tests
Historical Missions (inc. Documents, Photos & Art)
Historical Launchers
Historical Proposed Concepts, Papers & Art
Cancelled Programs

Offline mtakala24

« Reply #40 on: 09/16/2015 09:35 pm »
Now when BO has gone public with its plans, we'll have to carefully monitor if/when there is enough BO threads (launch site dev + NSF "spies", testing, launches) to make it a section of its own.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #41 on: 09/16/2015 09:56 pm »
Now when BO has gone public with its plans, we'll have to carefully monitor if/when there is enough BO threads (launch site dev + NSF "spies", testing, launches) to make it a section of its own.

I was just today saying to one member who asked about this that we'll have a discussion at the weekend on section names, so we'll have a think here now and work out the plan at the weekend.

Remember, needs to be at least 30 threads for a standalone section.

Offline nadreck

« Reply #42 on: 09/16/2015 10:04 pm »
Personally I would rather see 3 commercial sections where we have the two now:

Commercial General
Commercial Sub Orbital (crewed or not)
Commercial HSF to LEO and beyond

I think we have come to the point that the Nasa Commercial Crew program does not need its own segment, but that with 4 real players planning commercial craft that will carry people and that those four already have a number of posts in the Commercial Crew section then keeping them there is easiest but renaming it makes sense.

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25223
  • Likes Given: 12114
« Reply #43 on: 11/11/2015 06:25 pm »
A "new physics" section for advanced concepts relying on phenomenon not compatible with the conventional understanding of physics. EM Drive, in particular, has basically swallowed up the Advanced Concepts section.

Examples:
EM Drive
Woodward Effect
Low Energy Nuclear Reactions
E-Cat

Heck, just an "EM Drive" section would be sufficient. I just checked, and that single EM Drive thread accounts for 10 of the last 40 most recent forum posts (and that includes L2 topics, not just general forum). And this isn't some random outlier.

If a single thread is responsible for 25% of forum posts, then it probably deserves its own section. That would probably make it easier to make new EM Drive threads without them being lost, thus allowing the topic to be easier to digest for newcomers. It may not have quite 30 threads so far, but it certainly has its share of the forum's attention. And if you include all the LENR/E-Cat/Woodward Effect threads, you may do get to 30 threads.
« Last Edit: 11/11/2015 07:31 pm by Robotbeat »
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
« Reply #44 on: 11/11/2015 07:22 pm »
I just checked. There are at least 30 threads that deal with "new physics" type concepts (almost all some sort of propellantless propulsion), plus about a dozen more about FTL communication or travel, which violate causality in a way I think most physicists would consider "new physics" if ever demonstrated. If you want a list, I can provide it. I looked through about 26 out of 38 pages of Advanced concepts thread titles. The density of "new physics" threads seems to be increasing as time goes on (rarer around 2010 than now), which I think is partly due to many of the conventional topics getting their own forum section.

So I think that "New Physics" is certainly a worthwhile section, given there are a good 40 threads with New Physics-like topics (and probably a bunch more that were deleted), and it accounts for 25% of the forum posts as of late.

Topics you'd want to include:
FTL, including transmission of classical information faster than light using quantum entanglement, warp drives, wormholes, etc.
Propellantless propulsion relying on new physics (i.e. either violating conservation of momentum or pushing against the ether or distant stars or quantum soop, etc)
Anti-gravity
cold fusion
etc.
« Last Edit: 11/11/2015 07:27 pm by Robotbeat »
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #45 on: 11/11/2015 08:11 pm »
Yeah, that sounds like an idea. The alternative was something for EM Drive only, but that would be totally at odds to the site's overall menu list.

I'll go with your suggestion (when I get time) ;D

Offline Skyrocket

• Extreme Veteran
  • Frankfurt am Main, Germany
  • Liked: 939
  • Likes Given: 172
« Reply #46 on: 12/14/2015 09:55 am »
I like to suggest to introduce a own subforum for suborbital launches.
Clustering them all in a single thread (http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=11281) inside the "Other Launchers (Korean, Brazilian etc.)"-subforum is rather confusing and makes discussions on a individual mission or sounding rocket really hard to follow. And there are a lot of interesting suborbital missions and vehicles to discuss.

I would suggest to place it inside the "International Space Flight (ESA, Russia, China and others)" section, so that suborbital launches of all countries can be discussed there together.

Offline Skyrocket

• Extreme Veteran
« Reply #47 on: 12/14/2015 10:17 am »
Clustering them all in a single thread (http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=11281) inside the "Other Launchers (Korean, Brazilian etc.)"-subforum is rather confusing and makes discussions on a individual mission or sounding rocket really hard to follow. And there are a lot of interesting suborbital missions and vehicles to discuss.

I would suggest to place it inside the "International Space Flight (ESA, Russia, China and others)" section, so that suborbital launches of all countries can be discussed there together.

Offline TrevorMonty

« Reply #48 on: 12/14/2015 11:46 am »

Might be good place for the small orbital LVs (<=1000kg).

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #49 on: 12/14/2015 01:26 pm »

Copy that.

So a good idea to would be to start some suborbital standalone mission threads from now onwards, so we have a collection to move into the standalone section.

Offline Skyrocket

• Extreme Veteran
« Reply #50 on: 12/14/2015 01:39 pm »

Copy that.

So a good idea to would be to start some suborbital standalone mission threads from now onwards, so we have a collection to move into the standalone section.

Thanks! Perhaps it would be a good idea, to leave an official note at the end of the generic Suborbital thread, that now suborbital mission threads should be started as stand alone threads and not to be added to the generic suborbital thread.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #51 on: 12/14/2015 01:52 pm »
Will do!

Offline Star One

• UK
« Reply #52 on: 12/14/2015 03:18 pm »

Copy that.

Thanks! Perhaps it would be a good idea, to leave an official note at the end of the generic Suborbital thread, that now suborbital mission threads should be started as stand alone threads and not to be added to the generic suborbital thread.

Are you going to differentiate military suborbital flights from civilian ones.

Offline Skyrocket

• Extreme Veteran
« Reply #53 on: 12/14/2015 03:42 pm »

Copy that.

Might be useful, as the purpose of military missile flights and scientific sounding rockets is quite different.
« Last Edit: 12/14/2015 03:44 pm by Skyrocket »

Offline Star One

• UK
« Reply #54 on: 12/14/2015 03:55 pm »

Copy that.

Might be useful, as the purpose of military missile flights and scientific sounding rockets is quite different.

Yes but are you going to lump all the military tests together or divide them by country and are you then going to divide them again between if their a related nuclear missile test or a hypersonic boost glide test for example?

Offline the_other_Doug

• Minneapolis, MN
« Reply #55 on: 12/18/2015 12:19 pm »
I'm beginning to think that the discussions of electromagnetic propulsion models ought not be in a section labeled "New Physics."  We're getting a new flood of amateur, non-physicists coming in and posting their own refutations to General Relativity, along with pages and pages of cut-and-paste illustrations that would do any second-grader proud.  And that have all of the basis in actual physics and mathematics that you would expect of most second-graders.

In other words, nutters trying to insist that, of course, everyone else has been wrong.  And they, with their quite self-obvious Soap Bubble Physics, in which the behavior of the soap bubbles observed as they move when one expels gas in the bathtub, can explain how Einstein was wrong and FTL is quit easy to accomplish, and how they should be honored for their great cosmological insights.

Or worse, we're getting people with some physics backgrounds who have gone off into the hinterlands and can't get their theories taken seriously by other members of their field, so they come here, presenting line after line of dense math equations that are meaningless to all but three or four people who read this forum, and then demand that we either accept their theory or tell them why it's wrong -- when, again, the amateurs (and even the professional engineers) on this forum are in no way capable of even following their equations, much less discussing or refuting them.

First, IMHO this is not the right place to discuss refutations to General Relativity, serious or not.  Second, I think the phrase "New Physics" is attracting nutters who think that's what we do want to discuss here.

As far as I'm concerned, the discussions of EM drive physics, which I do follow somewhat, have to do with trying to reproduce and understand effects that have been reported by serious scientists -- you know, the kind with physics degrees.  Which is valid.  They are not here to try and invent "New Physics" that attempt to circumvent the lightspeed limit, or violate the Second Law of Thermodynamics.

I'm thinking that maybe the EM drive section should be renamed something like "Electromagnetic Propulsion Related to Spaceflight" or something like that.  Just to keep the nutters from thinking that this is a place on the Internet where they can expound on their nutter views.  Otherwise, it's like starting up a section labeled "Space Exploration Hoaxes," with the intent of debunking the nutter conspiracy theories out there, but which actually attracts the nutters who think it's a place to expound on such theories.

I know I'm sort of treading a fine line, here -- but the simple inclusion of discussion of controversial EM drive experiments is what puts the forum on that fine line.  As long as we're going to do that (and I do think that's valid), we need to do something to set the expectation amongst new posters that we're not here for them to show us the dissertation they've written up in their blog and had "debated" on other nutter-friendly websites which, they claim, demonstrate that all prior physics are wrong.  Maybe removing the term "New Physics" would help, since that seems to be the proximate cause of the new attraction.

Offline DMeader

• Liked: 103
  • Likes Given: 48
« Reply #56 on: 12/18/2015 12:35 pm »
We're getting a new flood of amateur, non-physicists coming in and posting their own refutations to General Relativity, along with pages and pages of cut-and-paste illustrations that would do any second-grader proud.  And that have all of the basis in actual physics and mathematics that you would expect of most second-graders.

Or worse, we're getting people with some physics backgrounds who have gone off into the hinterlands and can't get their theories taken seriously by other members of their field, so they come here, presenting line after line of dense math equations that are meaningless to all but three or four people who read this forum, and then demand that we either accept their theory or tell them why it's wrong -- when, again, the amateurs (and even the professional engineers) on this forum are in no way capable of even following their equations, much less discussing or refuting them.

Agree. In fact, I've come to avoid the entire "Advanced Concepts" section for those very reasons.

Offline NovaSilisko

« Reply #57 on: 01/01/2016 02:46 am »
Recently I've been wondering if the special forum section for MSL is really still needed. There are only sporadic posts in there on the update thread and they get even rarer as you go to the other threads. Maybe it would be better to just have all the posts there moved into the Space Science forum. Or maybe a reorganization of the robotic spaceflight section in general. "Robotic exploration of the moon" "Robotic exploration of mars" "Robotic exploration of the outer planets", and so on. May be getting too detailed, but just a thought.

Offline Star One

• UK
« Reply #58 on: 01/01/2016 08:43 am »

Recently I've been wondering if the special forum section for MSL is really still needed. There are only sporadic posts in there on the update thread and they get even rarer as you go to the other threads. Maybe it would be better to just have all the posts there moved into the Space Science forum. Or maybe a reorganization of the robotic spaceflight section in general. "Robotic exploration of the moon" "Robotic exploration of mars" "Robotic exploration of the outer planets", and so on. May be getting too detailed, but just a thought.

I second this there is no real reason now to have a separate MSL section with the paucity of updates.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #59 on: 01/01/2016 12:00 pm »
I think we could move all the Mars robotic threads into there and make it a more general section for those threads?

Offline the_other_Doug

• Minneapolis, MN
« Reply #60 on: 01/01/2016 04:37 pm »
I think we could move all the Mars robotic threads into there and make it a more general section for those threads?

That would actually work well.  Separate threads within a Science category would work fine for all the various planetary probes.  It's fine to have a live thread for the breaking main events, such as landing, orbital insertion, etc., but after that kind of major event, the Science category can be where such threads live -- they don't need their own categories indefinitely, IMHO.

Offline Star One

• UK
« Reply #61 on: 01/01/2016 05:18 pm »
Should earth science missions such as Jason 2 & DSCOVR etc go in there as well?

Offline NovaSilisko

« Reply #62 on: 01/01/2016 08:05 pm »
Should earth science missions such as Jason 2 & DSCOVR etc go in there as well?

This sort of distinction is why I advocate a few different subforums for the Science/Robotic spaceflight section, just so things can have a bit more breathing room and be among threads of similar subjects. Or maybe broader groups "Planetary robotic missions" "Lunar robotic missions" "Earth orbiting science missions", or somesuch.

Offline Paul451

• Australia
« Reply #63 on: 01/02/2016 12:24 pm »
Roll MSL section back into Space Science, then move Space Science under the General Discussion header? (Between Live Events and Historical?) Lose the separate RoboSC section header entirely.

Missions du jour will naturally float to the top anyway.

Offline francesco nicoli

• Amsterdam
    • About Crises
  • Liked: 290
  • Likes Given: 381
« Reply #64 on: 01/02/2016 12:55 pm »
honestly I believe we need  a section on Space Economy, development and colonization.

Offline Star One

• UK
« Reply #65 on: 01/02/2016 03:03 pm »

honestly I believe we need  a section on Space Economy, development and colonization.

You're about five to thirty years down the line with that kind of thing though, surely that would go under advanced concepts.

Offline mheney

• The Next Man on the Moon
  • Global Moderator
  • Silver Spring, MD
  • Liked: 398
  • Likes Given: 199
« Reply #66 on: 01/02/2016 04:47 pm »

You're about five to thirty years down the line with that kind of thing though, surely that would go under advanced concepts.

Well, yes and no.  There are legitimate business and policy issues that can usefully be discussed - I joined the Space Frontier Foundation back in 1995 (and outher advocacy groups before that) to work on things like that.  A lot of the policy work we did laid the groundwork for things like the X prize, "spaceflight participants" (the word "tourists" was strongly discouraged (although if *I* ever get to go, I'm wearing a hawaiian shirt ...)), commercial supply and commercial crew.  Policy work and regulatory regime development need to lead commercial activities by a good bit.

I'm not sure there's enough discussion here to warrant a separate section here ("General Discussion" works for now) - but fransesco is right in that there is currently no obvious section for policy development, regulatory environment, and the business / economic issues facing a permanent move off-planet...

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #67 on: 01/02/2016 05:58 pm »
Yeah, the things to consider are:

1) Is a current section too fat. If so, 2 (like we did when we had one SpaceX section).
2) Is there enough specific threads to start a new section (30+ threads).
3) Is a new section required for a specific topic (thinking Starliner for example, out of Commercial Crew).
4) Not to have the forum menu too long.

4 will be helped by merging MSL into robotic, but that might make the latter a bit fat. Going to have a look at it tonight :)
« Last Edit: 01/02/2016 05:59 pm by Chris Bergin »

Offline jacqmans

• Global Moderator
  • Houten, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 8555
  • Likes Given: 320
« Reply #68 on: 01/04/2016 12:02 pm »

3) Is a new section required for a specific topic (Starliner).

Yes Please... Things will be going fast I think this year leading up to the first crewed flight in late 2017
« Last Edit: 01/04/2016 12:03 pm by jacqmans »
Jacques :-)

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #69 on: 01/04/2016 05:07 pm »

3) Is a new section required for a specific topic (Starliner).

Yes Please... Things will be going fast I think this year leading up to the first crewed flight in late 2017

We have an article to go on this week for Starliner, so I'll get that section sorted before then! :)

Offline TrevorMonty

« Reply #70 on: 01/04/2016 05:45 pm »
Given the number (20+) of Small LV in development how about dedicated section for them.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #71 on: 01/05/2016 02:34 pm »
Given the number (20+) of Small LV in development how about dedicated section for them.

Yeah, there's a lot - thinking 39C....but do we have a lot of threads to require a section?

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #72 on: 01/06/2016 01:25 pm »
CST-100 section is now up and running.

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4660
  • Likes Given: 768
« Reply #73 on: 01/17/2016 02:10 am »
Are there any plans for a completed ULA missions/pre-ULA Legacy missions thread for ULA section as it now has a has a lot of threads and is somewhat messy and hard to find previous threads when people ask questions.
It might be time to move ULA/Legacy to a dedicated section/area like SpaceX. Also the other US launchers section needs to be cleaned out and reorganized better to adapt to the surrounding sections and areas

If yes, what about also adding this for SpaceX, China, Arianespace and Russian sections.
Many thanks RH117
« Last Edit: 01/17/2016 02:16 am by russianhalo117 »

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
« Reply #74 on: 01/17/2016 02:11 am »

Yeah, there's a lot - thinking 39C....but do we have a lot of threads to require a section?
I looked and if you include attempts by previous companies then you have a good ton or so threads that qualify.

Offline rayleighscatter

• Maryland
  • Liked: 565
  • Likes Given: 238
« Reply #75 on: 01/18/2016 12:35 pm »
Polite suggestion for removing a section:

With Dream Chaser now with its own section there is a lot of overlap between the content in the Commercial Space forum and the Commercial Crew Vehicles forum. Those two could probably be rolled together without losing anything.

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
  • Liked: 612
  • Likes Given: 211
« Reply #76 on: 02/25/2016 01:19 pm »
Is it an Idea to make a section for manned suborbital spaceflight:
All Blue Origin, Xcor_Lynx and VirginGalactic can go in this section.
Another idea is to make a separate section for BlueOrigin, or move all threads about blue more to one place.
Good luck organizing this. PS. sorry for the duplicate thread.   

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #77 on: 04/05/2016 11:44 am »
Possible! Let's see how many people like your suggestion as a test of that! :)

Offline the_other_Doug

• Minneapolis, MN
« Reply #78 on: 04/05/2016 01:52 pm »
Don't like it so much.  I agree, we get into some real diversions, here.  But that makes it fun.  As long as the forum is moderated to the extent it is, to avoid really bad off-ramps and personal attacks, etc., we can manage the way it is.

This reminds me of the old argument that some things shouldn't be shown on TV, when the ultimate argument is that if a discussion doesn't interest you, or has diverged to where you're frustrated or bored by it -- just change the channel.  Don't insist that, just because something is boring or non-useful to you, that no one else can have it, either.

Implement this kind of limitation and it's a first step down the road to a nice, controlled discussion -- where only four or five people make their points and have driven everyone else out to a forum where they can initiate their own thoughts and discussions without asking Mother-may-I...

Offline mtakala24

« Reply #79 on: 04/05/2016 02:30 pm »
Initially I was tempted to like Mr. Scott's post, but....

Maintainance of such thread-to-start-a-thread system would not be simple task either.

If the topic is not suitable or does not fit under the forum name, then it should not be posted. There are corner cases, for which this system could work.

A two-week no new topics ban for new users would work against outright chinese spammers and other unwanted commercial stuff.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #80 on: 04/05/2016 02:32 pm »
Ok and based on the lack of likes for his post, let's place that idea in the locked cupboard next to the Liberty Rocket ;)

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
« Reply #81 on: 04/05/2016 09:09 pm »
Mr Scott's idea has some slashdot-ish/karma aspects to it. I don't know about needing enough activation energy to start a thread but maybe some sort of "call the question" idea to close down threads that have run their course might be interesting.  (if someone posts 'call the question' and it gets 10 likes, and that person then posts a key summary of the cogent points to date, and THAT gets 10 likes, the thread is closed?  .... naa... )

I like the tangential idea of not letting newbies start new threads for a while.  But spammers just will wait. Wikipedia saw every variant on ideas to throttle spammers. Actively banning them and blocking their IP addresses for a while tends to work better than throttles
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #82 on: 04/05/2016 09:38 pm »
Already said no to the idea two posts above. Although I think some people misread the idea. We'll never restrict new thread postings.
« Last Edit: 04/05/2016 09:39 pm by Chris Bergin »

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
« Reply #83 on: 04/05/2016 09:41 pm »
wasn't disagreeing, just throwing more data into the soup and perhaps validating your conclusions...
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline nadreck

« Reply #84 on: 04/05/2016 09:55 pm »

A cage match here and there might be a healthy way to keep the wildebeasts in a certain play area (mud pit pipeline).  Then the rest of us (the meek) can then inherit the rest of the Earth!

There are always PM's which can be sent to multiple participants.

Offline QuantumG

• Australia
  • Liked: 4477
  • Likes Given: 1108
« Reply #85 on: 04/05/2016 10:45 pm »
You just described the difference between a book club where people actually read the book and every book club I've ever been to.
Human spaceflight is basically just LARPing now.

Offline mtakala24

« Reply #86 on: 04/05/2016 11:05 pm »
I can understand the difficulty of starting a topic. For obvious cases its a no-brainer - for example a new launch or space related movie news - but for the corner cases, not so much. For example, I would bet there is more scientific stuff to be discussed about certain barge stability things... and very quickly, there might be a naval technology discussion forum elsewhere in the Internet to discuss that.

That being said, there were some topics back in the day, that seemed to just disappear, never to be seen again. Being a mod now (albeit, not very active because of intent of graduation this June), I eyed the topic graveyard to see if there would be topics similar to each other there. Perhaps we could augment the Terms and Conditions thread ( http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=36479.0 ) with types of topics or a few actual examples that have been deemed off-topic or otherwise not appropriate for this forum? Would that be helpful? Just throwing this out for discussion.

Offline nadreck

« Reply #87 on: 04/05/2016 11:21 pm »
Mr Scott, I like tangents, guacamole and the chaos that the 2nd law of thermodynamics condemns us to. So I do like things the way they are now as opposed to the orderly fashion you see the world in. I would be fine with less moderation than we have here, but am willing, though not perfect at it, to abide by the rules of our environment here as it is seen as a need by others whom I respect and would chose to do what is necessary to interact with.

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
« Reply #88 on: 04/06/2016 12:56 am »
I'm just thinking of the about plight of being a moderator.  In someways to them, being a janitor might be a step up or two versus being a moderator.  Like, I've seen people handing out towels in airport bathrooms that are more uplifting than what I've seen recently.

Don't worry about moderators. We have our own reasons for contributing.

Offline the_other_Doug

• Minneapolis, MN
« Reply #89 on: 04/06/2016 04:36 pm »
I like the forum the way it is.  I would respectfully suggest to Mr. Scott that if he wishes to find a cage match, there are likely sites out there that can satisfy that desire.

I just don't see this forum as in any way a competition.  It's a means to express yourself and to gain/distribute information.  Any such "cage match" mentality would turn it into a competition (by definition).

So, please don't.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #90 on: 04/06/2016 04:56 pm »
Cage match isn't happening. That sounds like a terrrrrrible idea ;D
« Last Edit: 04/06/2016 04:58 pm by Chris Bergin »

Offline mheney

• The Next Man on the Moon
  • Global Moderator
  • Silver Spring, MD
  • Liked: 398
  • Likes Given: 199
« Reply #91 on: 04/06/2016 05:27 pm »
Cage match isn't happening. That sounds like a terrrrrrible idea ;D

Too late.

Offline Star One

• UK
« Reply #92 on: 04/06/2016 05:45 pm »
I like the forum the way it is.  I would respectfully suggest to Mr. Scott that if he wishes to find a cage match, there are likely sites out there that can satisfy that desire.

I just don't see this forum as in any way a competition.  It's a means to express yourself and to gain/distribute information.  Any such "cage match" mentality would turn it into a competition (by definition).

So, please don't.

Completely agree. I could only look on with horror at the suggestions recently being made in this thread that seemed to utterly miss the spirit of this forum.

Offline MIKKELH

• Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #93 on: 04/07/2016 09:22 am »
Just a question on formatting... Would it be possible to organise sub-forums in this site? I see that frequently the topics get too broad spectrum, which makes it difficult to follow a specific discussion, or to find what you are looking for. However, just throwing the things into their own forums often removes the inherent associations they have with each other. It would be nice if things could be more conveniently grouped heirarchically.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #94 on: 05/30/2017 09:40 pm »
Yearly check to see if we have enough threads to warrant a new section for something.

Remember, needs to be a section required. Can't start a new section for 10 threads.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #95 on: 05/31/2017 10:23 pm »
PS Suggestions should be posted here, not PM'ed to me. I want to see what the community thinks of suggestions ;)

Offline Paul451

• Australia
« Reply #96 on: 06/01/2017 08:27 am »
1) Interstellar missions / project starshot type of discussions
2) Colonization technology
3) International missions (collaborative international cross-agency missions to the moon, etc).
4) Astronauts
5) Space Phenomena. When there's a comet in town, people want to know where to check it out. Mira tends to vary.  And there is always a star emitting some sort of signal that gets the fake news starting their covfefe.
6) Fusion Power
7) Nihilistic Data, Common Discussions of Doom, Planetary Extinction, A Global Warming Dashboard/Metrics Scoreboard, Total Global Catastrophe / Survival Management, Steven Hawking's Fear of the Week.  Could get a lot of commentary, certainly will keep the fire burning. At the dumpsters will be located in one spot.

Can't see that any of these have enough threads to require there own section.

1, 2, 6, & space-related 7 all typically end up in Advanced Concepts, and I can't see that there's so many threads to split any of them out. (Most of your suggestions for 7 that aren't space-related don't seem like healthy additions to NSF.) Speculative 5 goes in AC, mundane reporting goes in Space Science Coverage. 4 is usually mission related (previously Shuttle sections, currently ISS sections.) 3 goes in whatever section is appropriate: ISS, Missions-To-X, International Spaceflight, etc. If there were a major international manned mission to the moon or Mars, it would quickly pick up not only a section, but its own group of sections. But there's no reason to anticipate it.

I would suggest that the Space Science Coverage section could be expanded in scope and renamed "Astronomy, Planetology and Space Science", and not be limited to spacecraft-based science reporting/discussion, but to any space science (including ground-based results, theoretical science, and amateur astronomy). But that depends on whether Chris wants to expand the site from "Spaceflight" to "Space".

Offline Paul451

• Australia
« Reply #97 on: 06/01/2017 08:32 am »
Not sure how it would work in practice, but it would be handy to have a way of sorting threads (especially update threads) on upcoming launches chronologically by expected launch date (or launch order).

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 13845
  • Likes Given: 5915
« Reply #98 on: 06/01/2017 01:56 pm »
It probably wouldn't get too many threads but a place to put information about future payloads (satellite constellations, DoD competitions, etc.) that haven't been assigned to a launcher yet could be handy.

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
« Reply #99 on: 06/01/2017 02:33 pm »
It probably wouldn't get too many threads but a place to put information about future payloads (satellite constellations, DoD competitions, etc.) that haven't been assigned to a launcher yet could be handy.
Section. for launched Satellites with launch threads staying in their current sections.

Offline Paul451

• Australia
« Reply #100 on: 06/02/2017 09:15 am »
If there is an asteroid that is discovered heading toward earth,

...it would not only get its own section, but its own group of sections. Chris might even bump the L2 forums from the top of the main page.

Offline mtakala24

« Reply #101 on: 09/03/2017 09:16 pm »
I wonder whether we could have something live "Space Coast Life" -section, where hurricane threads and other similar event threads could be moved, and more easily located.

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
« Reply #102 on: 04/05/2018 11:37 pm »
I suggest we rename “HLV / SLS / Orion / Constellation” to include “Beyond-LEO HSF” as there are 3 such subsection (HSF NEA, Moon, Mars) that aren’t explicitly included in the old title. This does cause some confusion as everyone just puts anything General HSF Mars related in the SpaceX Mars section.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #103 on: 04/06/2018 05:44 pm »
I suggest we rename “HLV / SLS / Orion / Constellation” to include “Beyond-LEO HSF” as there are 3 such subsection (HSF NEA, Moon, Mars) that aren’t explicitly included in the old title. This does cause some confusion as everyone just puts anything General HSF Mars related in the SpaceX Mars section.

Yep. Let me see what fits.
« Last Edit: 04/06/2018 05:44 pm by Chris Bergin »

Offline Paul451

• Australia
« Reply #104 on: 04/06/2018 10:28 pm »
Speaking of renaming sections: "NSF 2017 - Taking NSF into the next era". Ahem.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #105 on: 04/08/2018 09:18 pm »
All done.

Wondering if we could merge NEA into SLS general and move change the NEA section to the Lunar Gateway stuff. Maybe in the future when we've got more threads on the latter.

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
« Reply #106 on: 04/09/2018 05:23 am »
All done.

Wondering if we could merge NEA into SLS general and move change the NEA section to the Lunar Gateway stuff. Maybe in the future when we've got more threads on the latter.
Maybe create a shelved projects section to hold all cancelled projects so they dont clog current sections and subsection with unrelated threads.

Offline rayleighscatter

• Maryland
  • Liked: 565
  • Likes Given: 238
« Reply #107 on: 04/12/2018 09:18 pm »
Polite suggestion for removing a section:

With Dream Chaser now with its own section there is a lot of overlap between the content in the Commercial Space forum and the Commercial Crew Vehicles forum. Those two could probably be rolled together without losing anything.

A little redundant perhaps, but I wanted to bring this suggestion forward again.

I still think these two could merge very easily, especially when you consider that the first page in the commercial crew forum goes back 3 years.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #108 on: 06/14/2018 03:43 pm »
We're going to start a new Virgin Galatic/Virgin Orbit section next.

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
« Reply #109 on: 06/14/2018 04:45 pm »
Maybe a new dedicated section for US Commercial Launchers in the Commercial and US Government Launch Vehicles Board to separate Firefly (FAI), Astra, Rocket Lab, VSS et al from the other international content in the existing Commercial Space Flight General section as these launch companies are gaining contracts and launches. To emphasize the US part of the board name better Commercial should be relocated after US Government to become US Commercial and Government Launch Vehicles. I recommend moving the existing Commercial Space Flight General section down to the International Space Flight (ESA, Russia, China and others) Board.

A separate set of corrections to make to emphasis better clarification:
Other Launchers (Korean, Brazilian etc.) Section Description was not updated when the newer Suborbital Missions section was added and no longer accurately reflects to the fullest the current uses of these sections:

Current text:
Other Launchers (Korean, Brazilian etc.)
Coverage of all other launches, ranging Korean to suborbital etc.

Proposed text (Changes in red):
Other Orbital Launchers (Korean, Brazilian etc.)
Coverage of all other orbital launches, ranging Korean to Brazil etc.

Current text:
Suborbital Missions
A New board for Suborbital missions - such as Wallops sounding rocket missions through to Copenhagen Suborbitals, etc.

Proposed text (Changes in red):
Scientific | Civilian | Military Suborbital Missions
A New board for Scientific | Civilian | Military Suborbital missions - such as Wallops sounding rocket missions through to Copenhagen Suborbitals, etc.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #110 on: 06/19/2018 12:42 pm »
Virgin section set up.
https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?board=81.0

Looking at the amount of threads and interest, I think we need one for Rocket Lab too! Will get on that while I'm in the admin office ;D

Offline Eer

« Reply #111 on: 04/28/2020 01:39 pm »
Along the lines of the Hobbies and Science Fiction section, I wonder if a Wailing and Gnashing of teeth section may be in order. It could work as a place to create threads into which series of kvetching posts are exiled instead of leaving them in the misbegotten threads where they are born.

Case in point are the posts fretting over whether one company or another are wasting time/capital/resources developing new capabilities using new or old or novel methodologies.

Some people just can’t help themselves.

Maybe this post is another example that should be exiled to such a section.

Offline tommy099431

• Liked: 100
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #112 on: 07/01/2020 07:10 pm »
The concern was that on a 150 page thread. So we started a new update thread to solve that.

Hi Chris,
Considering this entire forum(NASASpaceFlight) doesn’t have any type of suggestion/feedback area in any section, the only spot to put it is in other threads/where people will see it. As we know sending a PM is private, and not public, thus doesn't allow the community to respond, have feedback and make suggestions to hopefully create a better community. (Additionally PMs don't seem to do very much) As you know, the posts that you have deleted that voiced these concerns had a good amount of likes, showing you that maybe the community likes an idea and maybe YOU(NSF) should try and implement it and not ignore it. Creating a new update thread does not solve problems, but eventually turn into another 185page thread. The fact that members have been asking for separate threads for awhile and many seem to agree, but with no community implementation from the mods seems like you are ignoring us, thus problems will arise, including off topic discussions, and 180 page threads.

We are simply asking for 3 threads instead of 1, to make the place more organized.

1) A Main thread for Photos and Updates (Already Have)
2) A Main thread for Road Closure Updates
3) A Main thread for Testing Campaign Updates (Before every test, a mod can post something similar to below, maybe center and bigger lettering)

Cryo Proof Testing
Monday July 1, 2020
Road Closures 7pm-7am EST
Updates will be posted below

« Last Edit: 07/01/2020 08:06 pm by zubenelgenubi »

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
« Reply #113 on: 07/29/2020 09:30 pm »
The following is a proposed draft of changes to existiing boards and sections:

I would like to expand the Robotic Spacecraft (Astronomy, Planetary, Earth, Solar/Heliophysics) board and redfine it and its sections. The board should be renamed to Commercial and Government Robotic Science Spacecraft. Motivation to redefine the Mars Science Laboratory (MSL) and Mars 2020 Rover Section is due to the fact that this section foreign Mars planetary missions and other active NASA missions other than the two rovers. The section title should be changed to the Mars Missions Section. The current section description should be changed to Mars planetary mission coverage and discussion. Mars planetary spacecraft threads currently exist in both the Space Science Coverage Section and the Mars Science Laboratory (MSL) and Mars 2020 Rover Section. The Space Science Coverage section will be split up expanded as shown below while also absorbing and renaming the Mars Science Laboratory (MSL) and Mars 2020 Rover section.

Proposed Sections of the redefined Commercial and Government Robotic Science Spacecraft board:
Inner Solar System:
-Mercury Missions
-Venus Missions
-Earth/Lunar Missions (EO, Lunar Science Etc)
-Mars Missions
-Asteroid and Comet Missions

Outer Solar System:
-Jupiter Missions
-Saturn Missions
-Uranus, Neptune and Beyond
Interplanetary and Beyond Missions
Astronomy (List types)
Physics (List Types)
Biology (List Types)
Theory Probes
Other

As a separate proposition I also propose to add a separate post launch mission updates and discussion board for commercial communications satellites that are defined into section either by operator or nation/block. In addition I also propose to add a separate mission updates and discussion board for government satellites such as GPS/NAVSTAR that are defined into section either by operator or nation/block. That way launch threads remain launch threads remain launch threads and construction, testing, and mission updates and discussion remains separate. They can either be separate boards or can be a combined board. It can be difficult to locate a thread when you forget which company launched the payload you are looking for.

EDIT: updated text for section names.
« Last Edit: 07/30/2020 12:29 am by russianhalo117 »

Offline leovinus

• Porto, Portugal
  • Liked: 864
  • Likes Given: 1725
« Reply #114 on: 07/29/2020 09:40 pm »
Sounds reasonable but no section for probes to Comets, like Giotto/Halley?
Maybe something like
-Asteroid Missions  (no Belt, as there as asters outside of the Belt :)
-Comet Missions

Offline intelati

« Reply #115 on: 07/30/2020 02:02 pm »
I don't see enough need for the individual forum sections.

I could see something like

1. Inner planets (Sun, Mercury, Venus, Earth, asteroid belt)
2. Mars (Already enough threads for its own section)
3. Deep space (Gaseous planets, comets, Voyager Probes...)

Splits the science into one more section. I think that's all it needs at this point
Starships are meant to fly

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography