Author Topic: New Forum Sections  (Read 111691 times)

Offline Chris Bergin

New Forum Sections
« on: 05/27/2015 11:28 am »
Suggestions can be posted in the Suggestion Box below. ;D

Already thinking a section for all these space related media like TV shows and movies as we have a lot of threads on that and they are dominating the general section.

And that's the thing. A new forum section needs to have a good number of threads already, otherwise it would be a very bare section that would look out of place in the forum menu.

However, I do like the idea of perhaps a new section we can build for students and aerospace schools.

Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline jacqmans

• Global Moderator
  • Houten, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 8555
  • Likes Given: 320
Re: New Forum Sections
« Reply #1 on: 05/27/2015 01:09 pm »
An ESA (European) section to put in (ESA) European news other that rocket launches. (Other ESA news story's or DLR or CNES news)

So NON Ariane, VEGA news so to say.
Jacques :-)

Offline Hog

• Woodstock
  • Liked: 1700
  • Likes Given: 6867
« Reply #2 on: 05/27/2015 01:36 pm »
There are forty (40) open public sections already.

The students/schools idea is an interesting one.

Still waiting for the Shuttle Dependence Support section.  Coming up on 4 years post-STS and I still have STS-mission cravings.  The launch videos still raise the hair on my arms.  I mean come-on, a twang movement?-Pure awesomeness!

Paul

Offline DatUser14

• Liked: 191
  • Likes Given: 651
« Reply #3 on: 05/27/2015 01:40 pm »
A Topic (at the extreme bottom) for discussion of space games like Orbiter Space Flight Simulator or Kerbal Space Program? probably not right for a forum of this caliber.
Titan IVB was a cool rocket

Offline Space Pete

« Reply #4 on: 05/27/2015 01:47 pm »
A separate ISS Live events section, and ISS General Discussion section, both as sub-forums under the main ISS section heading.

If it was up to Chris we'd have a York City FC section. :D
NASASpaceflight ISS Editor

Offline mhlas7

• Liked: 54
  • Likes Given: 721
« Reply #5 on: 05/27/2015 01:54 pm »
An ESA (European) section to put in (ESA) European news other that rocket launches. (Other ESA news story's or DLR or CNES news)

So NON Ariane, VEGA news so to say.
How about separate sections for ESA and Arianespace

Offline rcoppola

• USA
  • Liked: 1967
  • Likes Given: 968
« Reply #6 on: 05/27/2015 02:14 pm »
You may as well re-architect the main menu while you're at it.

For instance, sacrilege it may be, does it continue to make sense to have "Shuttle" in-between Commercial and SLS/Orion?
Sail the oceans of space and set foot upon new lands!
http://www.stormsurgemedia.com

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #7 on: 05/27/2015 02:33 pm »
A separate ISS Live events section, and ISS General Discussion section, both as sub-forums under the main ISS section heading.

York City FC section going live in an hour!!!!! ;)

I'll be converting Americans, one American at a time. Operation Hearts and Minds! ;D
« Last Edit: 05/27/2015 02:33 pm by Chris Bergin »
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #8 on: 05/27/2015 02:38 pm »
You may as well re-architect the main menu while you're at it.

For instance, sacrilege it may be, does it continue to make sense to have "Shuttle" in-between Commercial and SLS/Orion?

We already moved it down once and that was painful enough. NO! NO NO NO NO!! ;)

Online Galactic Penguin SST

« Reply #9 on: 05/27/2015 02:47 pm »
Not sure if there are that many people who would be interested in these two sections, but I think they are the most glaring missing sections out there:

1. A section dedicated to the business uses of spaceflight that does not touch rockets or new "innovative" technology, such as telecommunications (comsat contracts), GPS usage, commercial Earth imaging etc. There are other websites which specifically targets them, but I think some discussion of these areas might be good and I don't think they will fit in the current "General Commercial Spaceflight" section.

2. Not sure if we can even attract those who are interested, but since we have a Space Science Section why not a dedicated "Earth Observation from Space" section? I don't think there are any forums out there targeting this area, maybe we can get geologists, environmentalists and others who are interested in EO & Spaceflight to here.  ;)
Astronomy & spaceflight geek penguin. In a relationship w/ Space Shuttle Discovery. Current Priority: Chasing the Chinese Spaceflight Wonder Egg & A Certain Chinese Mars Rover

Offline kirghizstan

• Liked: 179
  • Likes Given: 86
« Reply #10 on: 05/27/2015 02:52 pm »

York City FC section going live in an hour!!!!! ;)

I'll be converting Americans, one American at a time. Operation Hearts and Minds! ;D

We, like FIFA, take bribes  ;)

Sorry OT!!!

Offline Eer

• Liked: 460
  • Likes Given: 909
« Reply #11 on: 05/27/2015 03:23 pm »
A Topic (at the extreme bottom) for discussion of space games like Orbiter Space Flight Simulator or Kerbal Space Program? probably not right for a forum of this caliber.

Oh, I don't know - put the modeling and 3d modeling simulation topics with it and call it some sort of hobbyist corner or some such.

games, crafts (paper models, plastic models), amateur (rockets, miniature 3d rocket engines), drones, etc.
From "The Rhetoric of Interstellar Flight", by Paul Gilster, March 10, 2011: We’ll build a future in space one dogged step at a time, and when asked how long humanity will struggle before reaching the stars, we’ll respond, “As long as it takes.”

Offline DatUser14

• Liked: 191
  • Likes Given: 651
« Reply #12 on: 05/27/2015 03:25 pm »

Oh, I don't know - put the modeling and 3d modeling simulation topics with it and call it some sort of hobbyist corner or some such.

games, crafts (paper models, plastic models), amateur (rockets, miniature 3d rocket engines), drones, etc.
better idea, I like this.
Titan IVB was a cool rocket

Offline NovaSilisko

• Liked: 1440
  • Likes Given: 1301
« Reply #13 on: 05/27/2015 03:27 pm »

That'd be nice. Throw in space books as well, fiction and nonfiction (maybe one thread for each? though that could get confusing)

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #14 on: 05/27/2015 04:25 pm »

Interesting!

Good stuff, keep the suggestions coming!

Offline fgonella

• Liked: 11
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #15 on: 05/27/2015 04:47 pm »
I second the ESA / Aroanespace split.
I would also like a stargazing / sky observation section (is it tangent enough to space flight?)

Offline mtakala24

« Reply #16 on: 05/27/2015 04:50 pm »
I think a "Spaceflight Entertainment" would consolidate all relevant book/game/television/movies topics into one forum.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #17 on: 05/27/2015 05:07 pm »
I second the ESA / Aroanespace split.
I would also like a stargazing / sky observation section (is it tangent enough to space flight?)

Errrrrrr, I pulled a bit of a face at the stargazing element. We'd be moving into astronomy and that's not really our bag. Need to stay space flight specific.

Liking the Spaceflight Entertainment idea as a section header.

Offline nadreck

« Reply #18 on: 05/27/2015 05:30 pm »
I think reorganizing the three "Missions" sections in "HLV / SLS / Orion / Constellation" into a new BEO section "Missions Beyond Earth Orbit" would be a logical name and maybe add a couple more categories in there to address main belt asteroids and beyond, and other (Venus, Mercury, and eccentric orbits).

Maybe EM-Drive could be split out of Advanced Concepts into its own category.

And while it is probably to early, someday under commercial space, a stations section.

It is all well and good to quote those things that made it past your confirmation bias that other people wrote, but this is a discussion board damnit! Let us know what you think! And why!

Offline the_other_Doug

• Minneapolis, MN
  • Liked: 2191
  • Likes Given: 4620
« Reply #19 on: 05/27/2015 07:10 pm »
I think a "Spaceflight Entertainment" would consolidate all relevant book/game/television/movies topics into one forum.

Call it "Hobbies & Entertainment" and include space modeling in it.  Maybe even a section intended as a help resource for writers looking for fact and "truthiness" checks for their projects.

I'd love to see a special section in which Jim takes on complex questions and issues.  The challenge is to see in how few words he can respond to, or dismiss, the most complex questions.  I know this is likely to not get approved, but it would be the most fun thread to follow in the entire forum... :D
-Doug  (With my shield, not yet upon it)

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography