Author Topic: The CRS-4/SpX-4 - So Long, and Thanks for All the Cheese - Party Thread  (Read 118101 times)

Online meekGee

• N. California
  • Liked: 4297
  • Likes Given: 859
Anyone else want to play, guess the launch date?

I going to pick Sep 29.

How about Sept. 19?

That will make it a very short party :(
ABCD - Always Be Counting Down

Offline punder

• Liked: 350
  • Likes Given: 222

I going to pick Sep 29.

How about Sept. 19?

"Life is just a party-and-parties aren't meant to last."

8)

P.S. Love the Biker Mice from Mars.
« Last Edit: 09/08/2014 08:02 PM by punder »

Offline MTom

• EU / Hungary
  • Liked: 107
  • Likes Given: 435

I going to pick Sep 29.

How about Sept. 19?

About short parties (after discussing about it long-long in the movie...)   ;D
(Say goodbye to the finger...)
« Last Edit: 09/08/2014 08:32 PM by MTom »

Offline CraigLieb

• Dallas Fort Worth
  • Liked: 755
  • Likes Given: 870
Guess the launch date:

Sept 19th is my birthday, but I would prefer a shift earlier because I will be at NASA on Sunday Sept 14th.

BTW: Any recommendations on the tour I should take?
Colonize Mars!

Offline thebluemarble

• Warsaw, Poland
  • Liked: 12
  • Likes Given: 29
BTW: Any recommendations on the tour I should take?
I guess that by NASA you mean KSC ;)
Last summer the choice was quite obvious to me. They had those up-close tours of both the VAB and the pads. I was lucky enough to be on one of those. But they also had a tour of the LCC which is probably equally satisfying for a spaceflight enthusiast. You still might have an opportunity to check this one out as it is still available :) If I were you, I would definitely take a stroll around the workplace of Mike Leinbach and the rest of the team.

Online S.Paulissen

• Boston
  • Liked: 285
  • Likes Given: 431
I, unlike what would seem to be the majority of people here, am 31 and not old enough to have experienced the moon landings and what led up to them.  It truly must have been amazing, and a little surreal to think that another human being was now on a celestial object so far away and so alien that ancient peoples invented stories to explain its existence let alone imagine it as being something humans could walk on. 

Until recently I was merely tangentially interested in space and astronomy.  I always felt like we should be DOING things like actually working to go to Mars.  I was pleased when I heard that Bush Jr. wanted NASA to go to Mars and hoped that he'd actually do something to make that happen (which he didn't, save stopping the shuttle).  Quite frankly felt that our country was more interested in weapons than exploration and so far that opinion has been borne out by reality.  Then commercial space came along and my first knee-jerk reaction was that turning over spaceflight to a non-NASA entity was the death-knell for our country and likely the world's human spaceflight, potentially forever. 

It took a while, but once I started to understand what was different about SpaceX and companies like it, was that they truly are what I am, space-lovers who want what I want and aren't newly spawned profit-mongers (make no mistake they want profit but it's not the same).  They want space exploration, they too, watched the moon landings like I did.  SpaceX got me excited in space again.  I remember being a grown adult, almost 30 years old, getting teary-eyed at Saturn V launches and listening to a TV reporter in complete awe over the
.  I lamented that idiotic things like wars distract us from such wonderous accomplishments and ultimately what needed to be done, and still remains to be done. I share Elon's view that we as a species are doomed to live and die here on Earth, it's just a matter of time. 

SpaceX has given me hope that I too may reach the stars.  To put boots on Mars.  To believe that the best days of humans are to come, not gone past.

Thanks SpaceX and others.  Thanks Chris for this website.  It's been fun lurking and then finally posting here and following the next chapters of spaceflight with others like me.
"An expert is a person who has found out by his own painful experience all the mistakes that one can make in a very narrow field." -Niels Bohr
Poster previously known as Exclavion going by his real name now.

Offline StealerofSuns

• Liked: 38
  • Likes Given: 86
I lamented that idiotic things like wars distract us from such wonderous accomplishments and ultimately what needed to be done, and still remains to be done. I share Elon's view that we as a species are doomed to live and die here on Earth, it's just a matter of time. 

SpaceX has given me hope that I too may reach the stars.  To put boots on Mars.  To believe that the best days of humans are to come, not gone past.

Thanks SpaceX and others.  Thanks Chris for this website.  It's been fun lurking and then finally posting here and following the next chapters of spaceflight with others like me.

"They will love [Earth] no less for its obscurity and fragility. They will marvel at how vulnerable the repository of all our potential once was, how perilous our infancy, how humble our beginnings, how many rivers we had to cross before we found our way." -Carl Sagan

Carl Sagan line brings tears to my eyes every time I hear it, and your post brought it to mind. (And Pale Blue Dot is displayed prominently on the shelf of my college dorm!)

We have many more rivers to cross, but, I like to think and have devoted my life and future career to the belief, that we are finally on our way.
« Last Edit: 09/09/2014 01:03 AM by StealerofSuns »
Our remote descendants, safely arrayed on many worlds throughout the Solar System and beyond, will be unified by their common heritage, by their regard for their home planet, and by the knowledge that, whatever other life may be, the only humans in all the Universe come from Earth. -Sagan

Online wannamoonbase

• Elite Veteran
  • Denver, CO
    • U.S. Metric Association
  • Liked: 658
  • Likes Given: 1063

I going to pick Sep 29.

How about Sept. 19?

If that happens I'll buy you a craft beef of your choice.  I don't see SpaceX going to a 12 day turnaround just yet.

Edit: but I'd love to see it!
« Last Edit: 09/09/2014 01:06 AM by wannamoonbase »
SpaceX, just a few things planned for 2018: FH, Starlink Prototypes, Block 5, Dragon 2, Increased launch rate.

Offline friendly3

• Liege. BELGIUM.
  • Liked: 124
  • Likes Given: 2776
I, unlike what would seem to be the majority of people here, am 31 and not old enough to have experienced the moon landings and what led up to them.

Thats is statistically impossible, it is not possible that the majority of folks here are over 50.

Online guckyfan

• Germany
  • Liked: 1680
  • Likes Given: 1589

How about Sept. 19?

If that happens I'll buy you a craft beef of your choice.  I don't see SpaceX going to a 12 day turnaround just yet.

I was refering to this. But I too can hardly believe it.

https://twitter.com/flatoday_jdean/status/509033209552990208

NASA: Date for next SpaceX launch to ISS likely to be confirmed tomorrow. Sept. 19 still possible, as are several days after that.

Online wannamoonbase

• Elite Veteran
  • Denver, CO
    • U.S. Metric Association
  • Liked: 658
  • Likes Given: 1063
Thanks gucky,

That would mean a static fire in about 4-5 days.

That would be something.
SpaceX, just a few things planned for 2018: FH, Starlink Prototypes, Block 5, Dragon 2, Increased launch rate.

Offline Avron

• Canadian Member
  • Liked: 150
  • Likes Given: 152
Some really great comments in here. I really appreciate them all!

Would so like Elon to have the time to read this tread.. it just supercharges his efforts in accelerating the human journey ..  and a confirmation of that desire

Go Cheese
« Last Edit: 09/09/2014 03:18 AM by Avron »

Offline daveklingler

• Liked: 137
  • Likes Given: 13
Thanks gucky,

That would be something.

I have no idea where SpaceX's current bottlenecks are.  I'm sure integration plays a big part - anybody have information on what their integration/assembly capabilities are?  How many vehicles can SpaceX prepare in parallel?

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 6728
  • Likes Given: 4522
Cheese will have to wait. Elon is on a ramen pilgrimage.

Elon is a secret FSM worshipper? 8)

If he ever decides to get married again, I'm available to officiate ... (yes, I am an ordained minister in the Church of the FSM)
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline Coastal Ron

• I live... along the coast
  • Liked: 2423
  • Likes Given: 3093
Thanks gucky,

That would be something.

I have no idea where SpaceX's current bottlenecks are.  I'm sure integration plays a big part - anybody have information on what their integration/assembly capabilities are?  How many vehicles can SpaceX prepare in parallel?

Their manufacturing plan was to be able to produce 40 cores and 400 engines by the end of this year, but I think that was described as 10ea Falcon 9 and 10ea Falcon Heavy, for a total of 20 launches per year.  No idea how many launch sites that assumes, and they obviously are only scheduled for 2ea Falcon Heavy flights in 2015.

So far they seem to be attempting 3 week turnarounds at just one launch site, but obviously they are still not consistent at it yet.  But my uneducated guess would be they have planned to be able to launch every 3 weeks, if need be.
If we don't continuously lower the cost to access space, how are we ever going to afford to expand humanity out into space?

Offline TripD

• E. Clampus Launchus
  • Liked: 470
  • Likes Given: 344

Got beer?  ...... ok that was funnier in my head.

Online Swoopert

How about Sept. 19?

Mmmmmm...craft beef...why am I imagining some sort of long marinated fillet at 7 in the morning?!?

Clearly the craft beef must be eaten during the CRS-4 lunch! ;)

Offline kch

• Liked: 486
  • Likes Given: 8662
How about Sept. 19?

Mmmmmm...craft beef...why am I imagining some sort of long marinated fillet at 7 in the morning?!?

Clearly the craft beef must be eaten during the CRS-4 lunch! ;)

Sounds crafty (and tasty)!   ;D

Offline Helodriver

• Liked: 5401
  • Likes Given: 567
This CRS-IV Party thread needed a mission poster, so I made one.   May the cheese be with you.

Offline Bob Shaw

• Liked: 409
  • Likes Given: 365
Cheese will have to wait. Elon is on a ramen pilgrimage.

Elon is a secret FSM worshipper? 8)

If he ever decides to get married again, I'm available to officiate ... (yes, I am an ordained minister in the Church of the FSM)

Lar:

A Minister in TCoTFSM? I thought I was the only one here! I wonder how many of *us* there are here, anyway?

Tags: