Author Topic: Moon Express MX-1  (Read 45749 times)

Online TrevorMonty

Re: Moon Express MX-1
« Reply #40 on: 10/01/2015 10:38 PM »
"In an Oct. 1 interview, Bob Richards, co-founder and chief executive of Moon Express, said that Electron will be able to send “something under” 10 kilograms to the surface of the moon. “That’s good for our purposes in our first missions,” he said. “Call it an entry-level lunar mission.” - See more at: http://spacenews.com/moon-express-buys-rocket-lab-launches-for-lunar-missions/#sthash.pP71rYIo.dpuf "

This lander is about 200kg compared to MX1 at 600kg.

Offline GWH

« Reply #41 on: 10/01/2015 10:45 PM »
They state in the article that they are going for another size reduction now, although there is nothing shown on their site.

Online TrevorMonty

« Reply #42 on: 10/02/2015 12:12 AM »
Here are two more articles on it. We have name for it MX-1E (E for Electron??).
Made up of 2 small (identical??) landers first one acts as booster to get it out of LEO.

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/10/01/moon-express-rockets-closer-to-planned-lunar-landing.html

http://www.nbr.co.nz/opinion/nzs-rocket-lab-signs-contract-company-planning-moonshots-2017

Online TrevorMonty

« Reply #43 on: 10/02/2015 08:08 PM »
In theory the MX1E has enough DV to reach Phobos or Deimos. MoonExpress have considered this as per NBR article quote.

Moon Express co-founder and chairman Naveen Jain adds: “Moon Express is building disruptive technologies that will forever change the cost of access to space, including the asteroids and even the moons of Mars. 

Offline sdsds

• "With peace and hope for all mankind."
  • Seattle
  • Liked: 575
  • Likes Given: 676
« Reply #44 on: 10/02/2015 08:49 PM »
In theory the MX1E has enough DV to reach Phobos or Deimos.

I think you misread that. Jain spoke of the underlying technology, not the particular spacecraft. Or ... do you have another source, or perhaps some calculations you could share?
-- sdsds --

Offline ChrisWilson68

• Sunnyvale, CA
  • Liked: 2040
  • Likes Given: 2378
« Reply #45 on: 10/03/2015 07:51 PM »
"In an Oct. 1 interview, Bob Richards, co-founder and chief executive of Moon Express, said that Electron will be able to send “something under” 10 kilograms to the surface of the moon. “That’s good for our purposes in our first missions,” he said. “Call it an entry-level lunar mission.” - See more at: http://spacenews.com/moon-express-buys-rocket-lab-launches-for-lunar-missions/#sthash.pP71rYIo.dpuf "

This lander is about 200kg compared to MX1 at 600kg.

I wonder whether this is a realistic plan or a product of desperation.

If they could do it in 200kg, why not plan that from the start?  It seems possible that they realized they need a launch contract in three months or they fail entirely, and the only launch contract they could come up with was Electron, so they were forced into 200kg.  If that's their only hope, they might decide to try for it even if an unbiased assessment would say there's no realistic chance they could fit it in 200kg.

Or, it could be that under pressure they realized a way to really do it in 200kg that has a chance of actually working.

There's no way to really tell.

There's also no way to tell whether the launch contract is actually meaningful.  There might be no down payment and RocketLabs might be happy to sign the contract even if Moon Express has demonstrated no capacity or commitment to actually pay, because it is good for RocketLabs to have a customer listed on its manifest.

Online savuporo

• Liked: 901
  • Likes Given: 322
« Reply #46 on: 10/03/2015 08:11 PM »
I thought 200 kg is completely ludicrous for a lunar lander, but there is this : Japanese SLIM lunar lander proposal. They are planning to fly it on Epsilon. JAXA has a (troubled) history of building the relatively tiny systems, if anyone can make this work its them.
Moon Express ? Probably not, i think this is just the way to drag X-Prize out further
Orion - the first and only manned not-too-deep-space craft

Offline Prober

• Save the spin....I'm keeping you honest!
  • Nevada
  • Liked: 700
  • Likes Given: 728
« Reply #47 on: 10/03/2015 10:16 PM »
I thought 200 kg is completely ludicrous for a lunar lander, but there is this : Japanese SLIM lunar lander proposal. They are planning to fly it on Epsilon. JAXA has a (troubled) history of building the relatively tiny systems, if anyone can make this work its them.
Moon Express ? Probably not, i think this is just the way to drag X-Prize out further

had some of the same thoughts about the weight reduction.   If you look at the cube-nano sats a lot has been accomplished.  It all comes down to their engineering ;)
« Last Edit: 10/03/2015 10:34 PM by Prober »
2017 - Everything Old is New Again.
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. ~ by Thomas Alva Edison

Offline notsorandom

• Ohio
  • Liked: 372
  • Likes Given: 87
« Reply #48 on: 10/04/2015 05:05 AM »
In theory the MX1E has enough DV to reach Phobos or Deimos.

I think you misread that. Jain spoke of the underlying technology, not the particular spacecraft. Or ... do you have another source, or perhaps some calculations you could share?
Looks like that might work Delta V wise. From LEO to the lunar surface is about 5.6km/s. LEO to Phobos is about 5.5km/s.

Offline sdsds

• "With peace and hope for all mankind."
  • Seattle
  • Liked: 575
  • Likes Given: 676
« Reply #49 on: 10/04/2015 06:47 AM »
Looks like that might work Delta V wise. From LEO to the lunar surface is about 5.6km/s. LEO to Phobos is about 5.5km/s.

Hmm! Does your 5.6 km/s value take into account use of a Belbruno-Miller style "weak stability boundary" transfer to the lunar vicinity, or does it reflect something more like the Apollo "fast path" approach?
-- sdsds --

Online TrevorMonty

« Reply #50 on: 10/04/2015 09:45 AM »
They said lander was 2 stages with both stages based on same basic design, of course lander stage will be different from booster. This design offers other possibilities, the booster stage could be used as a third stage enabling earth escape or TLI of cubesats. Being able to send a couple of 6U cubesats to Mars for a launch cost of a few million each would be of great interest to planetary science community.

Offline notsorandom

• Ohio
  • Liked: 372
  • Likes Given: 87
« Reply #51 on: 10/05/2015 02:53 PM »

Hmm! Does your 5.6 km/s value take into account use of a Belbruno-Miller style "weak stability boundary" transfer to the lunar vicinity, or does it reflect something more like the Apollo "fast path" approach?
There are a few sources for those figures, none of which agree totally. The 5.6km/s figure was on the low end. Others have it up to 6km/s. At any rate the Delta V is in roughly the same range as needed to get to Phobos. So his statement to that effect does seem reasonable. There are other aspects of the two trips that are quite different. Phobos requires a longer cruise and is much, much father away. Thermal, power, and communications are issues which could require a pretty significant modification.

Online TrevorMonty

« Reply #52 on: 10/05/2015 05:48 PM »

There are a few sources for those figures, none of which agree totally. The 5.6km/s figure was on the low end. Others have it up to 6km/s. At any rate the Delta V is in roughly the same range as needed to get to Phobos. So his statement to that effect does seem reasonable. There are other aspects of the two trips that are quite different. Phobos requires a longer cruise and is much, much father away. Thermal, power, and communications are issues which could require a pretty significant modification.
My statement was more about Electron being capable of delivering a MX1E BASED lander to Phobo. The Phobo lander would require significant changes for long flight, including heating of RP1 when it is required for the high DV burns.
How much useful science can be done with 10kg is another story.

Online TrevorMonty

« Reply #53 on: 12/08/2015 03:44 PM »

WASHINGTON — The X Prize Foundation announced Dec. 8 that it has verified a (RocketLab) launch contract announced in October by Moon Express, making the company the second with an approved deal to participate in the $30 million Google Lunar X Prize competition to land spacecraft on the moon. - See more at: http://spacenews.com/x-prize-verifies-moon-express-launch-contract/#sthash.p1QOljtT.dpuf

http://spacenews.com/x-prize-verifies-moon-express-launch-contract/

Offline Prober

• Save the spin....I'm keeping you honest!
  • Nevada
  • Liked: 700
  • Likes Given: 728
« Reply #54 on: 12/08/2015 05:24 PM »

WASHINGTON — The X Prize Foundation announced Dec. 8 that it has verified a (RocketLab) launch contract announced in October by Moon Express, making the company the second with an approved deal to participate in the $30 million Google Lunar X Prize competition to land spacecraft on the moon. - See more at: http://spacenews.com/x-prize-verifies-moon-express-launch-contract/#sthash.p1QOljtT.dpuf

http://spacenews.com/x-prize-verifies-moon-express-launch-contract/
Debunked
so much for someone's wild conspiracy theory.

2017 - Everything Old is New Again.
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. ~ by Thomas Alva Edison

Offline JamesG123

• USA
  • Liked: 48
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #55 on: 12/24/2015 04:50 PM »
And unproven spacecraft being launched on an unflown booster.  What could possibly go wrong?

Online TrevorMonty

« Reply #56 on: 12/24/2015 05:42 PM »
And unproven spacecraft being launched on an unflown booster.  What could possibly go wrong?
The LV should have a few launches under its belt by the time MX fly.

Offline A_M_Swallow

• Elite Veteran
  • South coast of England
  • Liked: 248
  • Likes Given: 99
« Reply #57 on: 01/29/2016 09:15 PM »
Moon Express is vacating Pad 36 facilities.  Will be moving to LC 17/18 at Canaveral.  James Dean at FL Today is tweeting about it today as well.

I was at the Space Florida Board of Directors meeting yesterday and didn't get the impression that anything was amiss with Moon Express.  It seemed more like they needed to go somewhere else now that Blue Origin is taking over all of Pad 36 under a new lease.

If Rocket Lab will be performing the space launches then Moon Express will not need to lease a Pad.

Offline sghill

• United States
  • Liked: 1416
  • Likes Given: 1945
« Reply #58 on: 01/30/2016 12:27 AM »
Moon Express is vacating Pad 36 facilities.  Will be moving to LC 17/18 at Canaveral.  James Dean at FL Today is tweeting about it today as well.

I was at the Space Florida Board of Directors meeting yesterday and didn't get the impression that anything was amiss with Moon Express.  It seemed more like they needed to go somewhere else now that Blue Origin is taking over all of Pad 36 under a new lease.

If Rocket Lab will be performing the space launches then Moon Express will not need to lease a Pad.

That assumes they are done with testing and ready for flight to the Moon!!! :)
Bring the thunder Elon!

Online TrevorMonty

« Reply #59 on: 04/02/2016 02:15 AM »
Here is there first payload.

I'm sure Jeff Bezos would offer Moon Express a free ride for such an important mission.  If only Blue had an their orbital LV ready.

Moon Express (@MoonEx) tweeted at 6:18 AM on Sat, Apr 02, 2016:
We're proud to announce our newest payload to the Moon. #LLAP #TrumpThat https://t.co/Ao9fNY2lL7
(https://twitter.com/MoonEx/status/715951432407588864)

Tags: