Author Topic: Mobile version of NSF  (Read 113001 times)

Offline Chris Bergin

Re: Mobile version of NSF
« Reply #80 on: 06/03/2017 12:10 pm »
Not sure. I logged in on my iphone 6 in safari without issue. Could be some external tapatalk issue? I did notice that for once I didn't get that annoying "do you want tapatalk" message. If it is, it's to do with tapatalk not us and out of our control.

What I'd say for this thread is anyone having issues, always add their device/OS and Browser - so there's an ability (based on others having the same) to try and duplicate an issue.
« Last Edit: 06/03/2017 12:13 pm by Chris Bergin »
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4660
  • Likes Given: 768
« Reply #81 on: 06/03/2017 07:27 pm »
Not sure. I logged in on my iphone 6 in safari without issue. Could be some external tapatalk issue? I did notice that for once I didn't get that annoying "do you want tapatalk" message. If it is, it's to do with tapatalk not us and out of our control.

What I'd say for this thread is anyone having issues, always add their device/OS and Browser - so there's an ability (based on others having the same) to try and duplicate an issue.
Chris to add: it really helps to also know version and build of device operating system and browser app version because based on experience, versions will display different problems that may not exist on another version.

Offline Tomness

• Into the abyss will I run
  • Liked: 289
  • Likes Given: 737
« Reply #82 on: 06/04/2017 02:29 am »
No problem,  if this helps any one
Here's yours: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 6.0.1; SAMSUNG-SM-J320A Build/MMB29K) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/58.0.3029.83 Mobile Safari/537.36

Offline Jimmy_C

• Liked: 200
  • Likes Given: 6589
« Reply #83 on: 06/04/2017 09:44 am »
I just got an Android tablet (Galaxy Tab S2 8.0). I noticed the same issue logging in with both Chrome and Samsung's browser. The error message is "Your session timed out while posting. Please go back and try again." The problem happens even with a clean cache and cleared off cookies. I had to request the desktop site to log in. From there, I could switch back to the mobile site.

Offline set321go

• Vancouver, Canada
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 305
« Reply #84 on: 06/04/2017 03:19 pm »
I'm having the same issue logging in on my mobile. Android 7.1.2 Chrome 58.0.3029.83

I have tried:
1. logging in as normal
2. deleting browser history
3. incognito mode
4. request as desktop site

All of the above fail with the same error reported above.

I have just been to europe and did notice my browse still showing me cookie banners and wondered if that was relevant. I mention this because when I went to bloomberg it took me to the europe subsite even though I am back in canada.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #85 on: 06/04/2017 03:19 pm »
So that's rounding it down to Android/Chrome it seems? All tapatalk, or not, by the way?

I wonder if there's actually anything Mark can do (they always say if you change something it could impact on everyone else).

Good temp solution with the full site and back to mobile. Nicely noted.

And of course we are going to have a new (proper) mobile site before long, which will be beta tested on all devices/OS and browsers.

---

I have made Mark aware in case there is something he can do.
« Last Edit: 06/05/2017 08:34 pm by Chris Bergin »
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline leovinus

• Porto, Portugal
  • Liked: 864
  • Likes Given: 1725
« Reply #86 on: 06/06/2017 03:12 am »
Good temp solution with the full site and back to mobile. Nicely noted.

Based on discussion with Chris today, I can confirm that works for me as well.

Maybe I am just dense but it took me a while to figure out how to go back to "mobile theme" from the full site. Therefore, in case it helps someone else who is stuck with this, here are the more detailed steps. If it is obvious to you then just ignore this post please.

Issue: Using the mobile theme on your phone and on login, you see
> An Error has occured! Your session timed out while posting. Please go back and try again.

Steps:
- on the mobile themed error page, select the "full site" button, lower right, to go to "full site"
- select "login" on the full site,  and login as usual. It is option #5, row #2 from the top.
- I did confirm the "this site uses cookies" popup as well.
- after login, go to forum home page again
- scroll down to the very bottom and look for the very very last line on the page.
- in tiny tiny letters, it says "mobile" as 3rd link.
- select the "mobile" and voila, you are in the mobile theme again, logged in and ready to go!

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #87 on: 06/06/2017 05:57 pm »
OK, Mark's done some coding. Can you all check it's back to normal mobile log in for all?

Offline mn

• United States
  • Liked: 865
  • Likes Given: 332
« Reply #88 on: 06/06/2017 07:28 pm »
I can confirm that logging in works from the mobile page now.

Offline Tomness

• Into the abyss will I run
  • Liked: 289
  • Likes Given: 737
« Reply #89 on: 06/06/2017 07:57 pm »
OK, Mark's done some coding. Can you all check it's back to normal mobile log in for all?

It now works now, thanks Mark & Chris

Offline GWH

• Canada
  • Liked: 1925
  • Likes Given: 1277
« Reply #90 on: 06/24/2017 10:04 pm »
Question: when I use the in browser feature  (white blue and grey interface) it suffers from this feature where when typing long messages it scrolls back up to the top of message EVERY key I press. Is there a way to disable this? Would happily not use tapatalk if there was a way around this.

Offline mtakala24

« Reply #91 on: 06/25/2017 12:18 am »
Tested that on my phone, Android 7.something,latest Opera and Chrome. Couldn't make that happen. How long message would it have to be?

Offline GWH

• Canada
  • Liked: 1925
  • Likes Given: 1277
« Reply #92 on: 06/25/2017 12:34 am »
Enough to take up the entire region above the keyboard, like what you would see with a few nested quotes.
I'm on a Samaung Galaxy S5 Neo with Android 6.0.1. Chrome 58.0.3029.83

Offline mn

• United States
« Reply #93 on: 01/31/2018 03:33 pm »
When I click on an image in the mobile page and then hit 'back' to return to the thread the page goes to the top of the page instead of returning to where I was in the page. Very annoying.

I checked the code and there is a setting Hide Url Bar ($.mobile ... hideUrlBar: true), if I change that to false it behaves correctly (it returns to the correct place on the page).

I didn't manage to figure out what that setting does, but if it can be turned off it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

EDIT: I did some research and the code is there because apparently this trick causes the address bar to hide in some mobile browsers which gives the user a larger usable space. But it creates the issue I mentioned and other issues as mentioned here: https://www.hesslerdesign.com/blog/user-experience-2/why-window-scrollto-is-harmful-for-mobile-websites/

The solution is a slight update to the code to first check if the is already scrolled to anywhere besides the absolute top (0,0) before issuing the scroll to command.
« Last Edit: 01/31/2018 04:01 pm by mn »

Offline sewebster

• British Columbia
  • Liked: 190
  • Likes Given: 155
« Reply #94 on: 02/08/2018 03:22 am »
Something that has confused me for a while... umm, not sure if I've even noticed this super recently, so maybe it is already "fixed"...

Let's say you're on the last page of a thread. At the bottom of the page there will be a drop down with the page number, with a "back" arrow on the left. On some threads there is nothing on the right. I guess this makes sense, you can't go further forward than the last page. However, on other threads there is a "forward" arrow. If you click it, it takes you to the "All" view where you see all the posts for the entire thread on one page.

I prefer when there is no forward arrow on the last page, then I know when I'm done and I can go "up" instead of forward. Regardless of my preference though... is there some logic behind the difference between threads?

Offline mn

• United States
« Reply #95 on: 02/08/2018 03:58 pm »
Something that has confused me for a while... umm, not sure if I've even noticed this super recently, so maybe it is already "fixed"...

Let's say you're on the last page of a thread. At the bottom of the page there will be a drop down with the page number, with a "back" arrow on the left. On some threads there is nothing on the right. I guess this makes sense, you can't go further forward than the last page. However, on other threads there is a "forward" arrow. If you click it, it takes you to the "All" view where you see all the posts for the entire thread on one page.

I prefer when there is no forward arrow on the last page, then I know when I'm done and I can go "up" instead of forward. Regardless of my preference though... is there some logic behind the difference between threads?

This happens when the thread has 10 or fewer (I think that's the magic number) pages and there is a 'all' option. (you can see it on the non mobile site, where the 'all' option will appear after the individual page links for threads with 10 or fewer pages.

See this post from back in 2015

https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=32918.msg1365722#msg1365722

Let's call this an upvote in the issue tracker ;)

Offline docmordrid

• Michigan
  • Liked: 4204
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #96 on: 02/24/2018 07:53 am »
ZTE Trek 2 tablet (hey, it was "free"!) and an LG phone using Chrome, both Android. Using Chrome, if I select Post Actions it does nothing - no list of actions such as Like, etc. Zip.

Unimplemented?
« Last Edit: 02/24/2018 07:54 am by docmordrid »
DM

Offline Johnnyhinbos

• Boston, MA
  • Liked: 8095
  • Likes Given: 943
« Reply #97 on: 05/01/2018 02:47 pm »
I have a suggestion for the mobile view of news articles. When viewing articles on a mobile device the reader is presented with a "SEE ALSO" bar and related links (see attached for an example) in the middle of the article. This makes it look like the end of the article. I suggest adding something to the effect of, "[article continues below]" to above this "SEE ALSO" bar, so the reader knows to keep scrolling.

It's a small thing, but would help readability on smartphones. 
John Hanzl. Author, action / adventure www.johnhanzl.com

Offline Michael Baylor

• NSF Reporter
  • Liked: 4868
  • Likes Given: 865
« Reply #98 on: 05/01/2018 05:51 pm »
I have a suggestion for the mobile view of news articles. When viewing articles on a mobile device the reader is presented with a "SEE ALSO" bar and related links (see attached for an example) in the middle of the article. This makes it look like the end of the article. I suggest adding something to the effect of, "[article continues below]" to above this "SEE ALSO" bar, so the reader knows to keep scrolling.

It's a small thing, but would help readability on smartphones.
I've noticed that issue as well. My solution would be to scrap the "See Also" bar. I don't think it's needed.

Edit: Well, maybe it is useful. Not sure if people use it or not. Is there a way to measure the clicks from it?  :P
« Last Edit: 05/01/2018 05:54 pm by Michael Baylor »

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #99 on: 05/01/2018 10:35 pm »

I've noticed that issue as well. My solution would be to scrap the "See Also" bar. I don't think it's needed.

Edit: Well, maybe it is useful. Not sure if people use it or not. Is there a way to measure the clicks from it?  :P

:-X That's up there with "get rid of the Shuttle forum section! ;)

It's very popular and there would be riots of we got rid of it. People need help finding the forum section that shows where the discussions on that subject take place.

Looks great in desktop. :P

#DesktopTillIDie
« Last Edit: 05/01/2018 10:35 pm by Chris Bergin »

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography