Author Topic: Mobile version of NSF  (Read 112999 times)

Offline BrianNH

• Liked: 142
  • Likes Given: 653
Re: Mobile version of NSF
« Reply #40 on: 12/01/2013 02:13 pm »
I think I'd rather use the full version, especially on my ipad. Any way to select which one you want to use?

Yes, you can always switch back to the full site (button on bottom right), but I'm going to set the default for 'tablets' to the full site as soon as possible.

Tablets still default to the mobil version.  Is the plan still to change the default to the full version?

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #41 on: 12/01/2013 03:40 pm »
I think I'd rather use the full version, especially on my ipad. Any way to select which one you want to use?

Yes, you can always switch back to the full site (button on bottom right), but I'm going to set the default for 'tablets' to the full site as soon as possible.

Tablets still default to the mobil version.  Is the plan still to change the default to the full version?

I'll remind Mark and report back.
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline MP99

« Reply #42 on: 12/01/2013 03:44 pm »

Please, no-o-o-o!

There is a button on the mobile version to switch to desktop.

Cheers, Martin

Offline MP99

« Reply #43 on: 12/01/2013 04:43 pm »
Also, and even more to the point, Android's *browser* has a "request desktop version of this site" option, IE switch to a different identifying string.

Why not use that if you want NSF to give you the desktop version on your tablet?

Cheers, Martin

Offline BrianNH

« Reply #44 on: 12/01/2013 06:09 pm »
I have an iPad.  The desktop version is a VAST improvement over the Mobil version for this platform.  Using the button to switch is only a minor annoyance, but it's hard to imagine someone preferring the version that was designed for a tiny screen when you have a full tablet.

Offline MP99

« Reply #45 on: 12/01/2013 06:29 pm »
I have an iPad.  The desktop version is a VAST improvement over the Mobil version for this platform.  Using the button to switch is only a minor annoyance, but it's hard to imagine someone preferring the version that was designed for a tiny screen when you have a full tablet.

Is it an iPad mini?

If not, please try that (non HD version if those are available yet), then report back.  ;)

I have a 7" tablet with 1024x768 screen. Mobile version is a *vast* improvement on that.

According to the user agent options available to my Android browser, my user agent is separate from that for iPad. Maybe OK to switch the experience for iPad users - (though not sure if that might annoy iPad mini users!!)

cheers, Martin

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #46 on: 12/01/2013 09:18 pm »
Whatever happened to the days where people browsed the internet on a nice meaty PC? Kinda funny as when I go the train, everyone's got a iPad or such. Not me, out comes the trusty Dell brick! ;D

(PS If someone buys me an iPad I'll say it's the greatest thing ever ;))
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline BrianNH

« Reply #47 on: 12/02/2013 02:39 am »
Laying in bed with a keyboard, mouse and monitor would not be fun.   ;)   I took a chance on buying an iPad for fear that it would end up joining my dust collecting laptop, but I'm totally addicted.  That's probably not a good thing.

PS.  I have a third gen full iPad.  I don't get what the point of the mini is.

Offline Lee Jay

• Elite Veteran
  • Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3603
  • Likes Given: 327
« Reply #48 on: 12/02/2013 04:19 am »
A 7" tablet can fit into a woman's purse.  A 10" cannot.

Personally I don't get tablets at all.  Both my wife and I use our phones as tablets.  They're more flexible since they have cell connections and can be used as phones and they can be with you all the time.  Two less things for me to buy, maintain and upgrade.  And when I need more than I can do on my phone, a tablet wouldn't work either, so I use the laptop a lot.

NSF is fine either way on my phone.  Still miss a "my topics" function but it's not on either version anyway.

Offline MP99

« Reply #49 on: 12/02/2013 07:43 am »
Personally I don't get tablets at all.  Both my wife and I use our phones as tablets.  They're more flexible since they have cell connections and can be used as phones and they can be with you all the time.  Two less things for me to buy, maintain and upgrade.

My tablet has 3G and full voice calling. It's basically a 7" phone / phablet. No separate phone so "one less thing for me to buy and maintain", too.

While I usually use a Bluetooth headset for the actual calls, it will do the 80's "brick to the side of the head" in an emergency.

This feature is available on Galaxy Tabs and Notes, and Asus Fonepad.

Cheers, Martin

PS Part of the reason you don't get tablets may be the experience of trying to use desktop websites on a screen which is too small, and designed for precise mouse clicking instead of pudgy finger tapping. ;)
« Last Edit: 12/02/2013 07:44 am by MP99 »

Offline pippin

• Regular
  • Liked: 312
  • Likes Given: 45
« Reply #50 on: 12/02/2013 08:40 am »
Nobody, myself included, gets tablets until you have one.
Then you find out that they are better to read stuff than your full-scale computer which is definitely not true for a phone, no matter of the size, and all of the sudden your perspective on how you use stuff starts to change.

I bought my first iPad for development only and thought "he, I'm never really going to use this thing myself". Biggest misconception ever.

Offline rdale

• Assistant to the Chief Meteorologist
  • Lansing MI
  • Liked: 1414
  • Likes Given: 171
« Reply #51 on: 01/01/2014 05:24 pm »
L2 bug... In the mobile browser, when you're on the last page in a public thread at the bottom you'll see the back arrow to the left of the page number selector. When you're on the last page in an L2 thread, you'll see the back arrow, the page number selector, and then the forward arrow. Pressing forward takes you to page 1. I like the first style better as you'll know it's the end of the thread.

Offline rdale

• Assistant to the Chief Meteorologist
  • Lansing MI
  • Liked: 1414
  • Likes Given: 171
« Reply #52 on: 01/20/2014 09:35 pm »
The bug still exists, and only in L2... Public side is fine.

Offline obi-wan

• Liked: 691
  • Likes Given: 30
« Reply #53 on: 03/13/2014 05:32 am »
I have been using, and greatly enjoying, the mobile version on my iPad - but you've evidently reverted to the desktop version as default for tablets. If there is a place to request the mobile version, it is incredibly well hidden! Please, how about a large and obvious button (like the one that said "use desktop version" when in mobile format) that lets us choose to default to the (vastly superior, IMHO) mobile version?

Offline MP99

« Reply #54 on: 03/13/2014 07:50 am »
I have been using, and greatly enjoying, the mobile version on my iPad - but you've evidently reverted to the desktop version as default for tablets. If there is a place to request the mobile version, it is incredibly well hidden! Please, how about a large and obvious button (like the one that said "use desktop version" when in mobile format) that lets us choose to default to the (vastly superior, IMHO) mobile version?

It's a small link at the *very* bottom of the page (one of 4, IIRC).

Cheers, Martin

Offline baldusi

• Buenos Aires, Argentina
  • Liked: 2539
  • Likes Given: 8267
« Reply #55 on: 03/13/2014 10:51 am »
I'm using Tapatalk and in many cases quotes are broken. The oute most opening quote is replaced with a "dummyquote" word.

Offline MP99

« Reply #56 on: 03/13/2014 12:10 pm »
I'm using Tapatalk and in many cases quotes are broken. The oute most opening quote is replaced with a "dummyquote" word.

BTW, there is a separate thread for Tapatalk.

Cheers, Martin

Offline MP99

« Reply #57 on: 12/15/2014 09:12 am »
I'm having an issue with the mobile version of the site via Android Chrome (39.0.2171.93) on a Galaxy Note 8.0 (N5120) running Android 4.4.2 . If I try to reply to a thread, the text box is greyed out, and not editable. This makes it impossible to post from the mobile theme. It's been like this for some time, TBH.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7d3jzidvi7vaq3t/2014-12-15%2009.48.50.png?dl=0

It seems to work from Firefox Android (34.0) on this device.

It also seems to work OK on my phone (Galaxy Grand Duos, I9082), on Android 4.2.2. This is running exactly the same version of Chrome, so my first hunch is this is somehow related to Android 4.4 over 4.2.

I'm not really sure that the text box looks right when it's greyed out. I'd perhaps expect this to have a white background if it can take user input. Not sure if this is related in some way to the issue I'm having?

Cheers, Martin

Offline Chandonn

• Extreme Veteran
  • "Pudding!!! UNLIMITED Rice Pudding!!!"
  • Lexington, Ky
  • Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #58 on: 12/15/2014 02:08 pm »
My problem is more of an annoyance:

My Android tablet stays logged on and I have no problems.
My Android phone requires me to log on every time (even though I click the "stay logged on" switch)

Offline mtakala24

« Reply #59 on: 12/15/2014 08:09 pm »
You should always remember to mention what browser you are using. Remember that Google isn't supporting the default Android Browser anymore (the one which can be named as Internet or Browser by hardware vendor).  Use whatever works, I recommend Opera.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography