Author Topic: New NSF Feedback Thread  (Read 374564 times)

Offline Andy DC

• Liked: 85
  • Likes Given: 156
Re: New NSF Feedback Thread
« Reply #40 on: 09/09/2013 02:05 am »
I'm trying to see what's different about L2 posts and I don't see it.  L2 looks exactly like the public forums except for the top bar.  Am I missing something?  I expected a different color scheme or something.

L2 is obvious when you're in there anyway with the content, but it's very obvious with the color scheme change. I like it, it deserves that special feel because L2 is awesomeness all over.

Offline edfishel

• Liked: 19
  • Likes Given: 66
« Reply #41 on: 09/09/2013 02:06 am »
Like others, I also miss knowing the hometown or country of the person who is posting.
Otherwise, my first impression is very positive.  Clean. Colorful.

Offline wholmeswa

• Liked: 16
  • Likes Given: 143
« Reply #42 on: 09/09/2013 02:12 am »

Try deleting your account and starting fresh.

Deleted account on two iDevices and added back in via the Search option. Time is still off by 2 hours on Unread and Forums. However I did notice the time stamps in the Notifications item are correct. (Push notifications to the iDevice)

I deleted and reinstalled Tapatalk on one of the devices, and still have the problem. Feels like stale data somewhere. If this does not clear up in the next day or so, I probably go to Tapatalk support and see if they have any ideas.

Wayne

Offline Lee Jay

• Elite Veteran
  • Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3603
  • Likes Given: 327
« Reply #43 on: 09/09/2013 02:20 am »
I'm trying to see what's different about L2 posts and I don't see it.  L2 looks exactly like the public forums except for the top bar.  Am I missing something?  I expected a different color scheme or something.

I've noticed that quoted text is yellow instead of blue.  Or more accurately, has a yellow background.

Okay, I see that.  Without quoted text, they are the same.

Offline go4mars

• Earth
  • Liked: 158
  • Likes Given: 3463
« Reply #44 on: 09/09/2013 02:51 am »
Who ended up designing your new logo?  Do they have comments on the meaning (for example should I read anything into the 3 red backslashes, the swooping e shape of the rocket contrail, or the colors chosen)? 
Elasmotherium; hurlyburly Doggerlandic Jentilak steeds insouciantly gallop in viridescent taiga, eluding deluginal Burckle's abyssal excavation.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #45 on: 09/09/2013 02:52 am »
Who ended up designing your new logo?  Do they have comments on the meaning (for example should I read anything into the 3 red backslashes, the swooping e shape of the rocket contrail, or the colors chosen)? 

http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2013/09/nasaspaceflight-com-completes-site-upgrade/
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Ford Mustang

• Live Coverage Editor
  • Global Moderator
  • Virginia
    • Astro95Media
  • Liked: 375
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #46 on: 09/09/2013 02:59 am »
I am just curious if there's a way to add a little bit of spacing to the parent forum link and the parent forum description, example:

"NASASpaceflight.com and NSF Forum Site Rules/News
Section for site development news, new member help, site rules and questions"

With just a little more spacing between the header and subject - or maybe the subject being in just a slightly smaller font?  To me, my eyes get jumbled between the header and subject for the parent forums.  The old forum font was slightly different and was easier to decipher for me, but maybe I'm just used to it!  You guys tell me.  :)

Also, on the "Click HERE to join L2!" - maybe have that in a different color to separate it out, or space it like it was on the old forum, separating that link to entice people to join.   The L2 Master Forum description looks like one long description the way it is, without too much emphasis on the joining L2 portion.

EDIT:  One other thing, noted on the news site (if that applies here) - on the latest news article for the upgrade, the "The Max-Q Sketch" caption seems like a misplaced piece of the article rather than a caption, I remember the old style was right under the caption and smaller than the main article text as to not distract.  Just another observation.  Overall, very pleased with the new site, and things seem to be running smoother from my end!
« Last Edit: 09/09/2013 03:04 am by Ford Mustang »

Offline rickl

• Pennsylvania, USA
  • Liked: 146
  • Likes Given: 150
« Reply #47 on: 09/09/2013 03:09 am »

http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2013/09/nasaspaceflight-com-completes-site-upgrade/

When I clicked that link, I got a new window with the headings on two lines again. 

I tried quitting Safari and restarting it.  When I go to the home page, the headings are still on two lines and the right sidebar displays below the main section.  As I said before, I can fix it by enlarging the font size in my browser, but it still seems like it's an issue.
« Last Edit: 09/09/2013 03:12 am by rickl »
The Space Age is just starting to get interesting.

Offline tigerade

• Low Earth Orbit
  • Liked: 51
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #48 on: 09/09/2013 03:56 am »
The new logo is beautiful.  I like it a lot.  The new website/forum design itself is really nice too, I like how it sort of feels more colorful/lively compared to the old design.  :)
« Last Edit: 09/09/2013 03:56 am by tigerade »

Offline Borklund

• Sweden
  • Liked: 397
  • Likes Given: 140
« Reply #49 on: 09/09/2013 04:01 am »
I like the visual update but I think some of the text elements are entirely too small, especially the thread names and page links (« 1 2 3 4  All »). I'm young with perfect vision so I can't imagine forum users around my dad's age would like it any better.

The site booster element leaves an unused bit of property running along most of the forum's length. I would suggest moving the site booster over to the L2 ticker where there's a lot of empty space.

Using Chrome, 1920x1080.

Edit: added picture to illustrate site booster suggestion
« Last Edit: 09/09/2013 04:30 am by Borklund »

Offline Joffan

« Reply #50 on: 09/09/2013 04:18 am »
Will we still be getting a "like" or "thanks" button some time?
Getting through max-Q for humanity becoming fully spacefaring

Online Galactic Penguin SST

« Reply #51 on: 09/09/2013 04:21 am »
Just noticed that the default smilies have changed - let's say that I found the new ones funnier than the old set.  ;D
Astronomy & spaceflight geek penguin. In a relationship w/ Space Shuttle Discovery. Current Priority: Chasing the Chinese Spaceflight Wonder Egg & A Certain Chinese Mars Rover

Offline JimP

• Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #52 on: 09/09/2013 04:40 am »
I rarely log in to the Forum, mainly because I kept forgetting the password. :-[

I've been used to seeing posts under the old forum being time stamped with GMT, but now see that the default time zone appears to be Central Daylight Time (US), which makes sense if the server is located in Texas.

I'm thinking that unless the user's time offset setting is adjusted for this change, lot's of forum posters are going to get confused.  Unless the default time zone is going to be reset back to GMT.

Offline ehb

• Liked: 222
  • Likes Given: 557
« Reply #53 on: 09/09/2013 04:42 am »
I think it all looks quite nice. 

One issue though, which may not effect that many people...
and was an issue also with the previous upgrade.

The "active topics" view is gone:
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?action=activetopics

Which I find quite convenient...
I have attached a .png to show you what it looked like before the upgrade.
(Not for the look itself, but for the content)
No rush, but I would appreciate getting this capability back.

Thanks,
-ehb

Offline darkenfast

• Liked: 1828
  • Likes Given: 8710
« Reply #54 on: 09/09/2013 04:56 am »
I don't know if this is the right place, but I just wanted to send a big "Thank you!" to Chris and all you who help him with this site. I joined shortly after it began (so long ago!), and I recommend it to anyone I know as THE place to go for space-related news. Congrats on the new format!
Writer of Book and Lyrics for musicals "SCAR", "Cinderella!", and "Aladdin!". Retired Naval Security Group. "I think SCAR is a winner. Great score, [and] the writing is up there with the very best!"
-- Phil Henderson, Composer of the West End musical "The Far Pavilions".

Offline RocketmanUS

• USA
  • Liked: 71
  • Likes Given: 31
« Reply #55 on: 09/09/2013 05:00 am »

From that link , on that page it shows the new logo with a black background.
I think it would look better with the black background on the top of the site page rather than the grey background. It would better separate it from the stuff to the right of it. Also space is black , not grey.
Just my suggestion.

For the forum.
Now when clicking reply, at the top of the page it no longer shows the thread and section link ( that part was linkable too ). It was a very nice future to have, go back to the thread or the forum section it was in.

And I just got the warning message that another poster had just posted, so review. This is were the link above the reply box would also come in handy.

Edit: browser using Firefox 23.0.1 on Windows XP service pack 3
Recent Post page:
Were it shows 1.2.3.4.....10   ( used to have the word next after the 10 )?
Minor note.
« Last Edit: 09/09/2013 05:42 am by RocketmanUS »

Offline Lars_J

• California
  • Liked: 677
  • Likes Given: 195
« Reply #56 on: 09/09/2013 05:03 am »

Perhaps this has been discussed elsewhere, but can we please have minimal mobile HTML (aka "iPhone") version back? Or something equivalent? It was much easier to read on my iphone 5, whereas now I get the full desktop view.

The WAP2 button at the bottom?

It's not the same, not even close.

An iPhone/Mobile view is on the list. The old package we used was outdated and not usable anymore. Stay tuned!

Thanks! The new version does look very nice and my desktop (chrome), and I look forward to seeing mobile tweaks. :)
« Last Edit: 09/09/2013 05:09 am by Lars_J »

Offline Borklund

• Sweden
  • Liked: 397
  • Likes Given: 140
« Reply #57 on: 09/09/2013 05:14 am »
See attachment, 2nd post down. Seeing this in every thread, is it supposed to look like that?
« Last Edit: 09/09/2013 05:17 am by Borklund »

Offline Antares

• ABO^2
  • Done arguing with amateurs
  • Liked: 371
  • Likes Given: 228
« Reply #58 on: 09/09/2013 05:35 am »
I can't wait to put that white on black logo on something on the cafepress store.  It looks pretty sweet.
If I like something on NSF, it's probably because I know it to be accurate.  Every once in a while, it's just something I agree with.  Facts generally receive the former.

Offline Dappa

• the Netherlands
  • Liked: 62
  • Likes Given: 76
« Reply #59 on: 09/09/2013 06:00 am »
Tapatalk is showing wrong times. Latest posts indicate 4 hours old. Profile is correct on website with EDT -4 correctly showing times.

I just corrected the server time settings, can you take a look at your profile again (http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?action=profile;) and see if the time there is displayed correctly for you ? After that, try again in tapatalk
Please set it back to GMT, living in a +1/+2 time zone and setting +7 in the settings is very confusing. It'll also show times in proper GMT for those not logged in.

I like the new look by the way.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography