Author Topic: NASA oversight of CCDev-2 Partners reveals progress milestones  (Read 22008 times)

Offline grr

• Highlands Ranch, Colorado
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Great article, Chris. One quibble - you mention the BA Sundancer station in the CST-100 section, but Bigelow has cancelled that module. His station now uses the BA-330.

Good note, thanks!

Lack of talking about it != cancelled.

It is possible that he will run the sundancer down the 330 line and have uses for it. For example, it might be interesting for running around in LEO as a real taxi/truck between space stations. It can handle 3 for a long duration, but can handle more for short durations. Likewise, this might be a good way to send water/fuel between moon and earth.

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=15581.msg776733#msg776733

I know. I read it when it first came out.
However, when Galaxy was stopped, it was openly said that it was cancelled and that all work was moving towards sundancer.
Yet, with Sundancer, it has not been directly cancelled. They are saying that they are devoting full effort on BA-330.
Right now, it makes far more sense to do the BA-330, esp. for space stations.

But when sending a mission to the moon, this unit is only 4 tonnes, while the BA-330 is 10-12 tonnes. If you send 4-6 ppl to the moon, then putting a sundancer on the ground as well as doing transport in a sundancer makes good sense.
---------------------- edit ------------
Sorry, the above paragraph is incorrect. Please do not use it.
« Last Edit: 08/07/2011 08:27 am by grr »

Offline A_M_Swallow

• Elite Veteran
  • South coast of England
  • Liked: 500
  • Likes Given: 223
However, when Galaxy was stopped, it was openly said that it was cancelled and that all work was moving towards sundancer.
Yet, with Sundancer, it has not been directly cancelled. They are saying that they are devoting full effort on BA-330.

But when sending a mission to the moon, this unit is only 4 tonnes, while the BA-330 is 10-12 tonnes. If you send 4-6 ppl to the moon, then putting a sundancer on the ground as well as doing transport in a sundancer makes good sense.

According to Wikipedia Sundancer weights 8.6 tonne.  So something weighing 4 tonne would be a different spacecraft.  I will nickname it MoonWaltzer.  The specifications of the MoonWaltzer will need investigating.  Since the journey is short the spacecraft can be smaller.  The capsule (or lifting body) can be used as the control room so the MoonWaltzer may not need navigation hardware.

Offline Wyvern

• Welp here I am
  • Calgary
That CST-100 model has a pretty cool color scheme.

Is that standard?
Darn it where is my Moon base!

Offline erioladastra

• Liked: 222
That CST-100 model has a pretty cool color scheme.

Is that standard?

Standard...in what way?  I think it is just a basic functional scheme.  I am sure it will be modified down the road.

Offline NotGncDude

• Veteran
  • V
  • Liked: 1
It's exciting to see these programs move forward.  I wonder how many ex-NASA (Unite Space Alliance...etc) folks have been absorbed by these firms?

About 10. 

Ow

Offline grr

• Highlands Ranch, Colorado

According to Wikipedia Sundancer weights 8.6 tonne.  So something weighing 4 tonne would be a different spacecraft.  I will nickname it MoonWaltzer.  The specifications of the MoonWaltzer will need investigating.  Since the journey is short the spacecraft can be smaller.  The capsule (or lifting body) can be used as the control room so the MoonWaltzer may not need navigation hardware.

wow.
For some odd reason, I could have SWORN that it was 4 tonnes, not 8. And that WAS from wiki. Yet, when I look at wiki, it is 8 and not edited. Thank you for checking. That was slop on my part. Sorry.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography