Author Topic: SCRUB: Orbital Antares A-ONE LAUNCH ATTEMPT 1 UPDATE THREAD  (Read 96471 times)

Online Lee Jay

• Elite Veteran
  • Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3603
  • Likes Given: 327
Re: SCRUB: Orbital Antares A-ONE LAUNCH ATTEMPT 1 UPDATE THREAD
« Reply #160 on: 04/17/2013 09:06 pm »
Since Antonio had nothing to do (aside from kick shins), I wonder if he was playing the "what's this button do?" game.   ;D

Kidding aside, best of luck to the team for the coming diagnosis, and please keep us informed if time allows!

Offline Garrett

• France
  • Liked: 128
  • Likes Given: 113
« Reply #161 on: 04/17/2013 09:11 pm »
Looks to me like it did, the entire thing seems to twist. The side we can't see moved back.
Yes, a twist.  The nearest part did not move.  The furthest part did.  Interesting.

- Ed Kyle
You can see part of the structure on the near side, just above the "Orbital" tag on the first stage, move.
- "Nothing shocks me. I'm a scientist." - Indiana Jones

Offline Big Al

• Liked: 5
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #162 on: 04/17/2013 09:14 pm »
Was the first stage trying to vent? Too much force?
Something slipped out of place.

Offline bastro

• bastro is go!
  • NL
  • Liked: 12
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #163 on: 04/17/2013 09:15 pm »
I may hope that any motion is normal.
But anyway, a good moment to show that they have control over the proces.
Time to go to sleep (like the ISS crew) and see you in 48 hours!

Offline king1999

• F-Niner Fan
  • Atlanta, GA
  • Liked: 306
  • Likes Given: 1280
« Reply #164 on: 04/17/2013 09:17 pm »
One part in the middle was moving away from the rocket. You can see it between the letters A and N.

Offline robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia
  • Liked: 659
  • Likes Given: 7688
« Reply #165 on: 04/17/2013 09:21 pm »
Was the first stage trying to vent? Too much force?
Something slipped out of place.

From what I see in the animation, the twist in the strongback added tension to the lanyards attached to the umbilicals to the second stage. It's possible that the force was great enough on one of them was enough to dislodge its connector from the socket, breaking electrical contact.

Offline ugordan

• My mainly Cassini image gallery
  • Liked: 3543
  • Likes Given: 759
« Reply #166 on: 04/17/2013 09:25 pm »
Was the strongback twisting back and forth or was this just a gradual thing that eventually pulled the QD out?

Offline meekGee

• N. California
  • Liked: 14046
  • Likes Given: 1392
« Reply #167 on: 04/17/2013 09:26 pm »
Did anyone confirm it was the wind-induced motion?  For what we know it was acceptable behavior.  After all, the thing stood in wind for many hours, and popped out only 10 minutes before launch.
ABCD - Always Be Counting Down

Offline Kim Keller

• Not OldSpace, Not NewSpace - I'm ALLSpace
  • Liked: 2419
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #168 on: 04/17/2013 09:30 pm »
The team is viewing video replays of a specific camera now.

Offline docmordrid

• Michigan
  • Liked: 4207
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #169 on: 04/17/2013 09:32 pm »
Are we looking at a wind limitation pending a strengthening or redesign?
« Last Edit: 04/17/2013 09:33 pm by docmordrid »
DM

Online Confusador

• Liked: 191
  • Likes Given: 381
« Reply #170 on: 04/17/2013 09:34 pm »
Can we take the questions/analysis to the Discussion Thread, and just have official statements actual updates here?
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=31662

Edit: Point taken, I didn't mean to exclude any new information.
« Last Edit: 04/17/2013 11:51 pm by Confusador »

Offline mtakala24

I think any new finds (even by amateurs) constitute as an update, as this thread is bound to be less hectic now that the scrub has been called. But of course its up to the mods to move posts if they decide to do so.

Offline Chris Bergin

Still going with 48 hours at the moment:

Orbital Sciences ‏@OrbitalSciences 2m
The teams are still gathering data. Most probable next attempt will be Friday, April 19 at 1700 EDT. We will provide confirmation soon.
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Kim Keller

• Not OldSpace, Not NewSpace - I'm ALLSpace
  • Liked: 2419
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #173 on: 04/17/2013 10:37 pm »
Just before I left I heard net discussion about what I believe was one of two hydraulic cylinders being lower than the other. Something tells me that would cause the strong back to twist as we saw (I'm an electrical, not a mechanical).

I'm also hearing that mgmt will abide by the wx forecast and not try on Friday (if they even could, system-wise).

Offline Chris Bergin

Just before I left I heard net discussion about what I believe was one of two hydraulic cylinders being lower than the other. Something tells me that would cause the strong back to twist as we saw (I'm an electrical, not a mechanical).

I'm also hearing that mgmt will abide by the wx forecast and not try on Friday (if they even could, system-wise).

Another interesting note, thanks!

And an update:

Orbital Sciences ‏@OrbitalSciences 11m
The mission management team will meet again at 8am EDT to review all known data. We are expecting a weather briefing at 4pm tomorrow.

NASA Wallops ‏@NASA_Wallops 56s
The MARS (the Mid-Atlantic Regional Spaceport) here @NASA_Wallops is available for #Antares up to and including April 29
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Chris Bergin

Orbital Sciences ‏@OrbitalSciences

We may know by 5pm tmrw if we will continue toward a 5pm launch attempt on Friday. Evaluating weather and data.

De-fueling will conclude this evening. Then it will be safe for the team to go in and start working on the turnaround.

The team was phenomenal, especially the way the team worked together. Big thanks to all who worked today's #Antares launch attempt.

The umbilical was a data cable connected to the upper stage. The #Antares team recorded the disconnect at 4:44:20 EDT.

Offline Chris Bergin

Right, so the plan is we'll keep this thread going for updates through tonight and tomorrow (at least). When we get a new launch target, we'll have a new thread started for that day's attempt.

Full article with updated scrub info:
http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2013/04/orbital-antares-debut-launch-attempt/

Offline jsmjr

• Washington, DC
  • Liked: 31
  • Likes Given: 28
« Reply #177 on: 04/17/2013 11:11 pm »
Orbital Sciences ‏@OrbitalSciences

We may know by 5pm tmrw if we will continue toward a 5pm launch attempt on Friday. Evaluating weather and data.

De-fueling will conclude this evening. Then it will be safe for the team to go in and start working on the turnaround.

The team was phenomenal, especially the way the team worked together. Big thanks to all who worked today's #Antares launch attempt.

The umbilical was a data cable connected to the upper stage. The #Antares team recorded the disconnect at 4:44:20 EDT.

On a side note, Orbital's Twitter feed really has been a great resource for this launch attempt.  Informative and current, as it should be.  Keep up the good work!

Offline Chris Bergin

Yep. PAO Barry (I assume) did very well with the twitter feed today.

Statement:

Orbital announced that a premature separation of a launch pad umbilical connection to the Antares upper stage used for data communications halted today's countdown of the Antares test launch at the Mid-Atlantic Regional Spaceport at NASA's Wallops Flight Facility on Wallops Island, Va. Engineers are currently analyzing what occurred to determine what measures will be taken to resolve the issue.

During a launch countdown, safeguards are put in place to periodically verify that all systems are functioning as planned. With twelve minutes left in the count, the launch team identified the anomaly and called a scrub of today's test launch attempt.

The next launch attempt is tentatively set for no earlier than Friday, April 19, pending final resolution of the issue and acceptable weather conditions.

"We are still examining all of the data, but it appears that the issue is fairly straightforward," said Mr. Frank Culbertson, Orbital's Executive Vice President and Mission Director for the Antares Test Flight. "With this being the first launch of the new system from a new launch facility we have taken prudent steps to ensure a safe and successful outcome. Today, our scrub procedures were exercised and worked as planned. We are looking forward to a successful launch on Friday."

Offline yg1968

• Liked: 7123
  • Likes Given: 3064
« Reply #179 on: 04/18/2013 03:10 am »
Here is the archived video of the scrubbed launch:

Part I:
http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/31591017
Part II:
http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/31596289

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech