Author Topic: SpaceX's Autonomous Spaceport Drone Ship Updates and Discussion Thread 3  (Read 1423982 times)

Offline vanoord

• Liked: 450
  • Likes Given: 106
Seems to me that elsbeth III has been released from SpaceX exclusivity and is now free to take other jobs.  Towing the ASDS is apparently enough of a "standard tow" that they can use whatever tug happens to be free.  Seems like a minor operational refinement to save a few bucks.

It does look like SpaceX aren't using Elsbeth III, but it will be interesting to see if they persist with Hawk or switch between tugs depending on availability.

Offline cscott

• Liked: 2867
  • Likes Given: 726
The speculation has always been that eventually the ASDS could self-propel out to the landing zone, so it would only need a harbor tug.  That hasn't happened yet. So there's a spectrum of possible tug requirements ranging from "harbor tug" to "any ocean-going tug which can handle a barge" through "some unique handling requirements and training, so we like to deal with a small number of tugs which have prior experience with ASDS" to "custom SpaceX gear must be installed on the tug and is troublesome to move between tugs".  So, yeah, I'm also interested to see the continued evolution of who gets to tow the ASDS, and how far.
« Last Edit: 12/18/2017 07:33 pm by cscott »

Offline CameronD

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Norton Consultants
  • Liked: 868
  • Likes Given: 548
The speculation has always been that eventually the ASDS could self-propel out to the landing zone, so it would only need a harbor tug.  That hasn't happened yet.

For a myriad of reasons, some technical, some legislative, it ain't ever going to happen. Never.  Not without a complete redesign of the thruster arrangement and a re-classification of the barge to somewhere they (and the barge owners) won't want to go. :)

...still and all, AIUI and IIRC, their main reason for retaining the services of EIII was they had a short-term exclusive lease agreement to use her and her people for this and other support roles.  Perhaps that agreement has now expired and they're free to do as they wish?  After all, apart from the extensive experience of the crew (no doubt necessary during the working-up stage), there's nothing particularly special about that tug...
« Last Edit: 12/18/2017 09:08 pm by CameronD »
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine - however, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are
going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead.

Offline cscott

Looks like Mr Steven is sporting the Guice Offshore logo now.  So is it "GO Mr Steven"?

Go Mr Steven!

Offline geoffc

• New Joisey
  • Liked: 16
  • Likes Given: 9
Looks like Mr Steven is sporting the Guice Offshore logo now.  So is it "GO Mr Steven"?

Wait, GO stands for Guice Offshore?  Does OJ know?   :)

Offline MarekCyzio

Offline MarekCyzio

Offline MarekCyzio

Some interesting modifications of GO Searcher...

Offline dorkmo

• Liked: 338
  • Likes Given: 848
looks like that guy on the new upperdeck is drilling holes through that diamond plate into the cross beams with a mag drill

https://www.grainger.com/product/MILWAUKEE-Magnetic-Drill-Press-4A940

Offline dorkmo

There is a ZF cardboard box sitting there. looks like they make boat thrusters. wonder if they are adding or fixing some for finer dragon recovery control.

edit: looks like they make a whole lot of other stuff for boats too, so could be anything

https://www.zf.com/corporate/en_de/products/further_product_ranges/marine/finder.html#finder=27551_27604

its funny i think they also make the electric motor winding maching for tesla
« Last Edit: 12/22/2017 01:48 am by dorkmo »

Offline Johnnyhinbos

• Boston, MA
  • Liked: 8095
  • Likes Given: 943
ZF is a common marine transmission manufacturer. I have ZF transmissions on my twin Cummins 380 HP QSB 5.9 diesels.
John Hanzl. Author, action / adventure www.johnhanzl.com

Offline Comga

• Liked: 4572
  • Likes Given: 5136
looks like that guy on the new upperdeck is drilling holes through that diamond plate into the cross beams with a mag drill

What guy?
What drill?
Upper deck?
I don’t even recognize the ship.
I think I see two people conversing.
Can you explain more what you see?
What kind of wastrels would dump a perfectly good booster in the ocean after just one use?

Offline dorkmo

What guy?
What drill?
Upper deck?

sorry, in the picture 12-21-2017-003.jpg next to the open door

Offline matthewkantar

• Liked: 2506
  • Likes Given: 2211

What guy?
What drill?
Upper deck?

This guy:

Offline cscott

So... The roof they were building on Go Searcher is complete (and level, not tilted), and there's a plastic wrapped box sitting on top now?

Offline OnWithTheShow

• Philadelphia, PA
  • Liked: 153
  • Likes Given: 27
So... The roof they were building on Go Searcher is complete (and level, not tilted), and there's a plastic wrapped box sitting on top now?

It seems clear to me these are modifications for dragon recovery and either cargo or crew unloading and storage. You can see the cutout on the aft of the new platform where they will slide dragon up to it.

Offline Johnnyhinbos

• Boston, MA
  • Liked: 8095
  • Likes Given: 943
They installed a lifting A Frame on the stern - the kind used to retrieve submersibles. I’d say Dragon recovery is a good bet. But question - what are they using now for D1 recoveries?
John Hanzl. Author, action / adventure www.johnhanzl.com

Offline stcks

• Liked: 266
  • Likes Given: 312
They installed a lifting A Frame on the stern - the kind used to retrieve submersibles. I’d say Dragon recovery is a good bet. But question - what are they using now for D1 recoveries?

NRC Quest, right?

Offline OnWithTheShow

• Philadelphia, PA
  • Liked: 153
  • Likes Given: 27

NRC Quest, right?

Yes. Dragon recovery has migrated through several recovery vessels on the west coast. The most recent being NRC Quest. Seems clear that they are looking for a east coast recovery ship. Either for crew or cargo. If not for primary landings then for aborts or weather contingencies.
« Last Edit: 12/22/2017 09:13 pm by OnWithTheShow »

Offline Comga

• Liked: 4572
  • Likes Given: 5136
I guess the Sea Stallion helicopter went the way of the tractor escape tower.
But aren’t we off topic for this ASDS thread?
What kind of wastrels would dump a perfectly good booster in the ocean after just one use?

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography