Author Topic: SpaceX Reusable Falcon 9 (Grasshopper ONLY) DISCUSSION Thread (3)  (Read 830095 times)

Online LouScheffer

• Liked: 6110
  • Likes Given: 837
Or you do something revolutionary. Use concrete, that has been proven adequate in the Grasshopper tests and is really, really chaeap.

Concrete is really cheap.  Damage to the surrounding engines (which grasshopper does not have) from flying concrete fragments is not.

If grasshopper tests show that *all* concrete fragments (if any) get blown straight to the side, then by all means use a cheap concrete pad.  But if any bounce up and might hit the adjoining engines, you might consider a pit.

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
Absolutely. This landing pad thing keeps going round in circles.

So will GH2's pad be a circle or a square? I thought straight forms are cheaper, but circular pads use less concrete for a given minimum edge distance.

:)

NOTE: this is a silly post ( and the mods can delete it ), merely to illustrate what minutia we actually were avoiding asking
« Last Edit: 05/23/2013 08:22 pm by Lar »
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline simonbp

• Science Guy
  • Liked: 314
  • Likes Given: 183
Everything about how SpaceX is pursuing reusability suggests a philosophy of "try the simplest thing possible and only add complexity if the simplest idea doesn't work". I would only expect them to try something more complex than a concrete pad if they were having serious problems with the concrete...which so don't seem to have any clear evidence for.

Oh yeah, I agree they's never try anything beyond legs an concrete for the initial flights. A cradle only makes sense if you want really quick (<24 hour) turnaround. That's not going to happen for many years, but still fun to think about. Which is the point of discussion threads. ;)

Offline douglas100

• Liked: 227
  • Likes Given: 105
Thank you, all fans of rotating things.  ;D

Funchucks made my point:

The landing pad seems like a total non-issue.  I'm surprised it's being discussed at all.

From simonbp:

Oh yeah, I agree they's never try anything beyond legs an concrete for the initial flights. A cradle only makes sense if you want really quick (<24 hour) turnaround. That's not going to happen for many years, but still fun to think about. Which is the point of discussion threads.

Fair enough, but I think the pad issue has been well covered already.
Douglas Clark

Offline Avron

• Canadian Member
  • Liked: 156
  • Likes Given: 160
bigger question is when will it or the new version fly..

Offline Rocket Surgeon

• Berlin, Germany
  • Liked: 231
  • Likes Given: 78
Anyone know when the next grasshopper test is/ What they will do for it?

Offline kkattula

• Melbourne, Australia
  • Liked: 656
  • Likes Given: 116
Anyone know when the next grasshopper test is/ What they will do for it?

Yes, I'm sure someone at SpaceX knows the answers to both those questions. :)

Based on past history, we won't know when until it happens, and we won't know what until the video is posted.

Offline llanitedave

• Nevada Desert
  • Liked: 1545
  • Likes Given: 2052
It would be cool if the interstage could double as a petal-out air brake/stabilizer structure, although I don't know that it would be feasible.
"I've just abducted an alien -- now what?"

Offline Rocket Surgeon

• Berlin, Germany
  • Liked: 231
It would be cool if the interstage could double as a petal-out air brake/stabilizer structure, although I don't know that it would be feasible.

So something like this?

http://www.google.com/patents?id=zB3wAAAAEBAJ&zoom=4&dq=%22Blue%20Origin%2C%20LLC%22&pg=PA13#v=onepage&q&f=false

Patent-happy Bezos :P

Offline docmordrid

• Michigan
  • Liked: 4207
  • Likes Given: 2
That patent is probably not enforceable. Deployable airfoils & drag devices have been described many times before, including the TGV MICHELLE.
DM

Offline ClaytonBirchenough

• ~ 1 AU
  • Liked: 34
  • Likes Given: 348

Any hope of testing to destruction much more frequent and aggressive testing now that a replacement is on the horizon?

Haha thank you, you gave me a good laugh  :D.
Clayton Birchenough

Offline llanitedave

• Nevada Desert
  • Liked: 1545
  • Likes Given: 2052
That patent is probably not enforceable. Deployable airfoils & drag devices have been described many times before, including the TGV MICHELLE.

There are a lot of ways to implement the concept.  If the Bezos patent is narrow enough, it could probably stand.  If he's trying to patent the entire approach, then he's probably puffing hot air.
"I've just abducted an alien -- now what?"

Offline kch

• Liked: 496
  • Likes Given: 8807

There are a lot of ways to implement the concept.  If the Bezos patent is narrow enough, it could probably stand.  If he's trying to patent the entire approach, then he's probably puffing hot air.

From the sounds of it, hot air might be the next thing he tries to patent ... ;)

Offline rickyramjet

• Killeen, TX
  • Liked: 106
The document; "LAUNCH VEHICLES WITH FIXED AND DEPLOYABLE DECELERATION SURFACES" is not a patent.  It is an application for a patent.  It might not get approved.  Patents take 5 to 6 years to work their through the USPTO, so it will be 2 or 3 years yet that anyone has to worry about it.

Offline Linze

• Liked: 15
  • Likes Given: 9

SpaceX is typically reluctant to file for patents, believing it just provides blueprints for the Chinese, but they have filed for certain patents.  They say the filings were specifically designed to counter the patents from an unnamed competitor.  That competitor is very likely to be Blue Origin. 

If done properly, it creates a patent stalemate that should allow SpaceX to use Blue Origin patents without worry.

Offline krytek

• Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 0
Just saw an interview with Elon. He stated the first stage is 3/4 of the cost of the stack.

Offline hrissan

• Novosibirsk, Russia
  • Liked: 325
  • Likes Given: 2432
Just saw an interview with Elon. He stated the first stage is 3/4 of the cost of the stack.
I noticed that point too. It means Elon should be very serious in making upper stage reusable too, if his goal is at least 10x reduction in launch cost (not price :)).

Offline deltaV

• Change in velocity
  • Liked: 621
  • Likes Given: 2131

Is that figure for F9 or FH?

Offline Thunderbird5

• "How hard could it be?" TM
  • London, Ol' Blighty
  • Liked: 17
  • Likes Given: 21
Which interview? Can you provide a link please?

Offline GalacticIntruder

• Pet Peeve:I hate the word Downcomer. Ban it.
  • Huntsville, AL
  • Liked: 247
  • Likes Given: 70
Which interview? Can you provide a link please?

http://allthingsd.com/20130530/tesla-ceo-and-spacex-founder-elon-musk-the-full-d11-interview-video/

At around the 36 minute mark he mentions first stage recovery.
"And now the Sun will fade, All we are is all we made." Breaking Benjamin

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography