Author Topic: Shuttle Workers Final Thoughts/Farewell thread  (Read 13177 times)

Offline padrat

• Payload Packer and Dragon tamer...
  • Where Dragons roam....
  • Liked: 861
  • Likes Given: 12
Shuttle Workers Final Thoughts/Farewell thread
« on: 07/08/2011 12:31 am »
Thought it might be a nice idea to open a thread for Shuttle Workers, past and present, to share any final thoughts on the end of the Shuttle Program and for those of us whose Shuttle careers are coming, or already have come, to an end to offer a farewell of sorts. Public comments, congrats, and well-wishes are also welcome but I'd like to not turn this into a Shuttle program discussion thread with differing opinions, since there's plenty of other threads for that. Well then...

Some of what I'm going to say I've already said in other posts to bear with me, but I feel it's worth repeating. So, how did I get to work with these incredible ships? I've watched Shuttle launches on TV since the beginning when I was growing up in the great white north in the 80's. (hey, then, Shuttle launches were actually national news, go figure..) In the late 90's while in the military I had the pleasure of dating a lovely young woman and after dating for a while, met some of her family and found out that she has an uncle who works at the space center, what a coincidence! After leaving the Army at the turn of the century I decided to get my A&P license to work on planes and was offered a job by her uncle working out here. Turn that down? Yeah,right!! Well, little did I know, I was about to be tossed into a shop, at the pad no less, with some of the biggest bunch of rednecks I'd ever seen. Well being somewhat of a country boy myself I fit right in, but you can ask pretty much any shuttle worker and they'll tell ya, there's a definite, um, "personnel change" from the OPF to the VAB to the Pads (I think HQ figures its much easier to hide us from the public eye out there. They don't let us out much....) The first few months I kept saying to myself, "these guys launch Space Shuttles?"

Well, of course, the answer is yes, they do, and do it well. Ordinary, everyday, average men and women launch these Birds into space. People who if you ran into them in downtown Orlando, you'd never know any different. We're not celebrities or rock stars, we're just ordinary"average joes". Joes who were lucky enough to get the opportunity to work in the U.S. Space program. In my opinion,that embodies the very essence of the United States of America and the American Dream. You don't have to be born of the elite to do extraordinary things. There's a saying that's on a lot of memorabilia around here that the workers can get: "The Space Shuttle Team: Doing What Others Dream" And it absolutely rings true. I’ve never worked a more dedicated bunch of workers except maybe in the military. And just like the military, their careers are full of sacrifice. Ask any worker who’s been here any decent amount of time and you’ll hear of missed birthday parties, cancelled vacations, missed little league games, etc. that were put on hold to do the job.

Soon the Orbiters will begin dispersing to their permanent homes throughout the country. And you, the general public, will be able to get up close and personal with these lovely ladies that, previously, only us Techs have been able to. Please, soak it up as much as you can. Take it all in. But, unfortunately, there is one thing that you will probably never know as we do....their personalities. Whether you are one who believes that inanimate objects can have a soul or you aren't, I can't think of any better example than an Orbiter. Each one has quirks, personalities, and attitudes as differing as any human being. Things that you just can't experience from one sitting on display, unpowered, for all eternity. There are some who say that the Shuttle was a failure, that it never accomplished what it was designed to do. This just infuriates me and I can not disagree enough. Yes, it never materialized into low-cost, routine, safe access to space. But that's just gravy. What was the Shuttle designed to do, first and foremost, at its very core? As safe as possible, carry humans into space, protect them, and bring them home. If the Shuttle was truly a failure, it would never have survived the first launch, or even launched at all. However, there was 2 times where the SYSTEM failed. Missed or needed procedures, bad decisions, etc. caused 2 accidents that cost 14 lives. However, data from both events shows that even then, the Shuttle fought, to its very end, to do what its core mission was: protect its human cargo. But alas, product limitations cannot overpower the laws of physics.

There are those who say the Shuttle is too complex and that it's a miracle that it can even fly at all. Well, yeah, you're right. And I believe that the fact it is so complex and yet continues to perform admirably should be another testament to its success. Nowadays, we have become risk adverse as a society, hence the shift to simpler, older, or backwards if you will. So, here comes the big dumb capsule. Simpler, yes. Safer, well, that's yet to be determined. But for me, it will never have the sexiness that the Orbiters do. Now, cost. Well unfortunately, that is our biggest obstacle to flying the Shuttle. And in a way, we've shot ourselves in the foot with this by not being able to adapt as a program quickly enough to more efficient, lean ways of doing business. However, this isn't just a NASA/Space program problem, but a problem we have as a nation. You don't need to look any further than the US Auto industry to see a prime example of this.

So anyways, I think I've rambled on long enough. As of right now I still do not know what direction my future lies. Hopefully I can stay somewhat local and possibly be back into the aerospace industry somehow, but we'll see. I'll still be on the forums so this isn't really a good bye for me. I'll just be on the outside looking in this time. For all of my fellow Shuttle workers, those I've known, agreed with, disagreed with, haven't known, and all of you fellow space geeks, excuse me, fans, I wish the best for you and hope to be able to share a drink with all of you someday. Good luck and Godspeed. It's been a hell of a trip, thanks for letting me come along for the ride!

Drew
aka. Padrat
If the neighbors think you're the rebel of the neighborhood, embrace it and be the rebel. It keeps them wondering what you'll do next...

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 4548
  • Likes Given: 13523
Re: Shuttle Workers Final Thoughts/Farewell thread
« Reply #1 on: 07/08/2011 12:40 am »
Excellent piece of writing padrat. Thank you and all your colleagues for the excellent work. We are pound of you. Music  “Fanfare for the Common Man”.
Best To You All
Robert

« Last Edit: 07/08/2011 12:46 am by Rocket Science »
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator

Online Jeff Lerner

• Toronto, Canada
  • Liked: 270
  • Likes Given: 240
« Reply #2 on: 07/08/2011 12:46 am »
<lump in throat/>.......

Uh...I just want to say thank you..for everything you, your colleagues and EVERYONE involve in any fashion with the Shuttle program has done over  the last 30 years...history is always the final judge in things and I am confident that the Shuttle Program and everyone involved, especially folks like yourself, will be looked upon in the most positive of lights....

...Best of luck in the future....
« Last Edit: 07/08/2011 12:47 am by Wildthing »

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #3 on: 07/08/2011 12:59 am »
Damn, that's an excellent bit of writing there.

I hope everyone reads it and others contribute.
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline cycleroadie

• Launches: 131, 133, Curiosity, ORB-2, EFT-1
  • Apalachin, NY , Doug Hurley's from here :-)
  • Liked: 6
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #4 on: 07/08/2011 01:12 am »
Drew,

Nicely said and thank you for your and your coworkers dedication to these wonderful spacecraft. The best of luck to you all !!
Lloyd
"As we leave the Moon at Taurus-Littrow, we leave as we came, and God willing, as we shall return, with peace and hope for all mankind. God bless the crew of Apollo 17." - Commander Gene Cernan , Apollo 17

Offline Gene DiGennaro

• Armchair Astronaut
  • Baltimore, Md
    • Glenn L. Martin Maryland Aviation Museum
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #5 on: 07/08/2011 06:56 pm »
Scout Salute to you and your team Padrat from Boy Scout Troops 26 and 146...

Offline BenB5150

• Austin Texas
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #6 on: 07/08/2011 07:28 pm »
My thanks to you and all who worked in the Space Shuttle Program.  Thanks For The Ride!

Ben

Offline Stardust9906

• Global Moderator
  • Durham, UK
  • Liked: 57
  • Likes Given: 1369
« Reply #7 on: 07/08/2011 07:33 pm »
Great post Padrat and thank you for what you and the rest of the Shuttle workforce did.  All the best for the future.

Offline clongton

• Expert
  • Connecticut
    • Direct Launcher
  • Liked: 7348
  • Likes Given: 3749
« Reply #8 on: 07/08/2011 07:44 pm »
When I heard John Shannon say at the Augustine hearing in Washington DC that the professionalism of the Shuttle workforce would not be affected by knowing they were launching the last Shuttle, I knew it would be true. Guys like you Drew, Carl, Ted, Andy, Steve, Greg and Mike and all the other STS workers that I personally know have shown the world what it means to be a professional. Even knowing that your jobs were coming to a close did not keep you from exerting every ounce of energy, thought and care humanly possible to make sure that the Orbiter got off the pad safely so that she could get to the station and perform her assigned mission. Your dedication to your assigned tasks has been exemplary. I cannot even begin to express how so very proud of all of you that I am. Thank you – from the bottom of my heart for 29 years of exemplary and dedicated service to the country and the cause that we all love so very much.
Chuck - DIRECT co-founder
I started my career on the Saturn-V F-1A engine

Offline Cherokee43v6

• Garner, NC
  • Liked: 935
  • Likes Given: 236
« Reply #9 on: 07/08/2011 10:11 pm »
After reading one of the many articles posted about today's launch, I had thought to hop on here and start a 'Thank you' thread.  Looks like this might be the better place for it so...

To Padrat and all your colleagues past and present.  This 42 year old (certified macadamia) space nut thanks you for your dedication, your hard work and for the inspiration your efforts have incubated out here in the wilds.  May all your futures hare closer to the bright dreams we all share.

Max
"I didn't open the can of worms...
        ...I just pointed at it and laughed a little too loudly."

Offline jesssicar

« Reply #10 on: 07/09/2011 12:19 am »
Thanks for starting this thread! I think you guys are awesome. Mostly because you're living every kid's dream (which is also what's got me down about this being the last space shuttle launch). It's really honestly inspiring to know that people work on going into space every day, and that it was so possible. Who didn't want to be an astronaut when they were a kid? But yeah.. sad day. If commercial space travel doesn't pick up... then I dont think the world has ever taken something OFF the 'possible's list. sad!

Anyways.. I compiled some epic space quotes that I feel capture the inspiration felt by all from the space programs.
http://1000memories.com/nasa-space-shuttle

I've sent this to some guys at nasaspaceflight.com and they like it too! Props to Chris Bergin for the feedback.

Thought it might be a nice idea to open a thread for Shuttle Workers, past and present, to share any final thoughts on the end of the Shuttle Program and for those of us whose Shuttle careers are coming, or already have come, to an end to offer a farewell of sorts. Public comments, congrats, and well-wishes are also welcome but I'd like to not turn this into a Shuttle program discussion thread with differing opinions, since there's plenty of other threads for that. Well then...

Some of what I'm going to say I've already said in other posts to bear with me, but I feel it's worth repeating. So, how did I get to work with these incredible ships? I've watched Shuttle launches on TV since the beginning when I was growing up in the great white north in the 80's. (hey, then, Shuttle launches were actually national news, go figure..) In the late 90's while in the military I had the pleasure of dating a lovely young woman and after dating for a while, met some of her family and found out that she has an uncle who works at the space center, what a coincidence! After leaving the Army at the turn of the century I decided to get my A&P license to work on planes and was offered a job by her uncle working out here. Turn that down? Yeah,right!! Well, little did I know, I was about to be tossed into a shop, at the pad no less, with some of the biggest bunch of rednecks I'd ever seen. Well being somewhat of a country boy myself I fit right in, but you can ask pretty much any shuttle worker and they'll tell ya, there's a definite, um, "personnel change" from the OPF to the VAB to the Pads (I think HQ figures its much easier to hide us from the public eye out there. They don't let us out much....) The first few months I kept saying to myself, "these guys launch Space Shuttles?"

Well, of course, the answer is yes, they do, and do it well. Ordinary, everyday, average men and women launch these Birds into space. People who if you ran into them in downtown Orlando, you'd never know any different. We're not celebrities or rock stars, we're just ordinary"average joes". Joes who were lucky enough to get the opportunity to work in the U.S. Space program. In my opinion,that embodies the very essence of the United States of America and the American Dream. You don't have to be born of the elite to do extraordinary things. There's a saying that's on a lot of memorabilia around here that the workers can get: "The Space Shuttle Team: Doing What Others Dream" And it absolutely rings true. I’ve never worked a more dedicated bunch of workers except maybe in the military. And just like the military, their careers are full of sacrifice. Ask any worker who’s been here any decent amount of time and you’ll hear of missed birthday parties, cancelled vacations, missed little league games, etc. that were put on hold to do the job.

Soon the Orbiters will begin dispersing to their permanent homes throughout the country. And you, the general public, will be able to get up close and personal with these lovely ladies that, previously, only us Techs have been able to. Please, soak it up as much as you can. Take it all in. But, unfortunately, there is one thing that you will probably never know as we do....their personalities. Whether you are one who believes that inanimate objects can have a soul or you aren't, I can't think of any better example than an Orbiter. Each one has quirks, personalities, and attitudes as differing as any human being. Things that you just can't experience from one sitting on display, unpowered, for all eternity. There are some who say that the Shuttle was a failure, that it never accomplished what it was designed to do. This just infuriates me and I can not disagree enough. Yes, it never materialized into low-cost, routine, safe access to space. But that's just gravy. What was the Shuttle designed to do, first and foremost, at its very core? As safe as possible, carry humans into space, protect them, and bring them home. If the Shuttle was truly a failure, it would never have survived the first launch, or even launched at all. However, there was 2 times where the SYSTEM failed. Missed or needed procedures, bad decisions, etc. caused 2 accidents that cost 14 lives. However, data from both events shows that even then, the Shuttle fought, to its very end, to do what its core mission was: protect its human cargo. But alas, product limitations cannot overpower the laws of physics.

There are those who say the Shuttle is too complex and that it's a miracle that it can even fly at all. Well, yeah, you're right. And I believe that the fact it is so complex and yet continues to perform admirably should be another testament to its success. Nowadays, we have become risk adverse as a society, hence the shift to simpler, older, or backwards if you will. So, here comes the big dumb capsule. Simpler, yes. Safer, well, that's yet to be determined. But for me, it will never have the sexiness that the Orbiters do. Now, cost. Well unfortunately, that is our biggest obstacle to flying the Shuttle. And in a way, we've shot ourselves in the foot with this by not being able to adapt as a program quickly enough to more efficient, lean ways of doing business. However, this isn't just a NASA/Space program problem, but a problem we have as a nation. You don't need to look any further than the US Auto industry to see a prime example of this.

So anyways, I think I've rambled on long enough. As of right now I still do not know what direction my future lies. Hopefully I can stay somewhat local and possibly be back into the aerospace industry somehow, but we'll see. I'll still be on the forums so this isn't really a good bye for me. I'll just be on the outside looking in this time. For all of my fellow Shuttle workers, those I've known, agreed with, disagreed with, haven't known, and all of you fellow space geeks, excuse me, fans, I wish the best for you and hope to be able to share a drink with all of you someday. Good luck and Godspeed. It's been a hell of a trip, thanks for letting me come along for the ride!

Drew
aka. Padrat
« Last Edit: 07/09/2011 12:38 pm by Chris Bergin »

Offline Pheogh

• Liked: 153
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #11 on: 07/09/2011 12:26 am »
To all of you In the Shuttle Program you have my most sincere thanks and appreciation. You have been and will always be at the center of my dreams and inspiration. Thank You

Offline astrobrian

• NSF Photographer
  • Austin Texas
  • Liked: 23
  • Likes Given: 112
« Reply #12 on: 07/09/2011 01:30 am »

I am bookmarking this thread, excellent idea for it, and hope that many more follow suit with stories as good as that.

Offline Bubbinski

« Reply #13 on: 07/09/2011 01:30 am »
Thank you Padrat and all other shuttle workers.  You can be justifiably proud over what you have accomplished, building, maintaining, and flying the world's most remarkable flying machine.
I'll even excitedly look forward to "flags and footprints" and suborbital missions. Just fly...somewhere.

Offline Hog

• Woodstock
  • Liked: 1700
  • Likes Given: 6866
« Reply #14 on: 07/09/2011 02:05 am »
Is this thread for Shuttle workers to give their final thoughts and say farewell? or for us "civilians" to share our final thoughts/farewells to them? or both A + B?
Paul

Offline DDG40

• Slidell LA.
  • Liked: 30
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #15 on: 07/09/2011 02:31 am »
 I have worked on the program for 30 years. I was handling this last flight with little emotion until this morning. I woke up at one thirty in the morning
 and logged into NSF and started following Chris's updates.
Seeing the pad lit up it hit me hard that this is the last time. Emotions finally got the best of me. I decided I would stay home and watch the launch.
You do reflect on the things you have seen the people you met along the way. I feel for all at KSC and I am sadden by the thought of the stand down of this Space Port. Will it return again to what it was in the Apollo and Shuttle days? Michoud is now a ghost town with all it's tooling and buildings mostly sitting idle. There is a small crew working on MPCV.
To those that have belittled our efforts as "pork" and a "jobs program",
without any doubt we did live up to our motto and "Finished Strong".

Offline Max-q

• SSM2007 CDR
  • Space Shuttle Mission Simulator
  • Eternally on Orbit
    • Space Shuttle Mission Simulator
« Reply #16 on: 07/09/2011 07:03 am »
Hats off to all of you people!

You have been the inspiration behind our simulator (#SSMS)and you certainly are the inspiration for all those who are looking forward to the next NASA manned Space Program - whenever it will happen.

Thank you!
Max-q
Space Shuttle Mission Simulator Crew
http://www.space-shuttle-mission.com

Offline Paul Adams

• Veteran
  • United Kingdom and USA
  • Liked: 37
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #17 on: 07/09/2011 07:54 am »
To ‘Padrat’ and all the others who work and worked on the Space Shuttle program, I would like to add a sincere ‘thank you’ for all of the hard work and sacrifices you have made to keep the fleet flying.

The Space Shuttle program was one of the few enterprises that continued to inspire on a global scale, and the world is a poorer place without it.

I wish you and all the other program workers only the very best for the future.
« Last Edit: 07/09/2011 12:12 pm by Paul Adams »
It's all in the data.

Offline TFGQ

« Reply #18 on: 07/09/2011 10:16 am »
thanks to all the folks that worked hard for america's shuttle program
Life is a magical thing -- Laurel Clark

Offline padrat

• Payload Packer and Dragon tamer...
  • Where Dragons roam....
  • Liked: 861
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #19 on: 07/09/2011 12:05 pm »
Is this thread for Shuttle workers to give their final thoughts and say farewell? or for us "civilians" to share our final thoughts/farewells to them? or both A + B?

It's for both. And I would definitely encourage other shuttle workers to share their thoughts.....
If the neighbors think you're the rebel of the neighborhood, embrace it and be the rebel. It keeps them wondering what you'll do next...

Offline jjnodice

« Reply #20 on: 07/09/2011 12:08 pm »
My sincere thanks and respect for all who worked on the shuttle. 

Offline aquanaut99

• Liked: 33
« Reply #21 on: 07/09/2011 12:10 pm »
My eternal gratitude and very best wishes to all who worked on these magnificent birds.

Offline stargazerken73

• NGC891
  • Fort Meade, Florida, USA
« Reply #22 on: 07/09/2011 06:26 pm »
This is directed to the engineers, scientists, astronauts, and other NASA employees who work in the Shuttle program that visit this site.

A big thank you from my friends and myself for an incredable thirty years! We are going to miss standing along the river in Titusville watching, cheering, and holding our breath during launches. Thanks for all of the wonderful memories.

Looking forward to making more when the next program takes to the sky.

Offline RamjetFDO

• Space Cadet
  • Flight FDO... burn complete, no further trim reqd.
  • Austin, TX
    • -t h e t r e n c h-
  • Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #23 on: 07/09/2011 10:05 pm »
I've wanted to let the past day's emotions settle down a bit before I posted...

My love affair with spaceflight began in July of 1969, when a 5 year old boy sat glued to the black-and-white television watching grainy pictures from the Moon.  My favorite cartoon (and my FDO callsign origin) "Roger Ramjet" was a big hit at the time... and that year at Christmas, I received one of my favorite gifts ever - a silver astronaut's suit and helmet.  I still have a picture of me in that, grinning like there's no tomorrow.  :)

I never made it to space (darned color-blindness disqualification!!), but was honored to have spent 12 years in Mission Control.  26 flights as a Flight Dynamics Officer - deploying satellites, rendezvousing with Mir (multiple times!), helping work new and interesting trajectory techniques... but more importantly, being a part of the greatest group of people I've ever had the honor and privilege of knowing.

The entire Mission Operations Directorate were more than co-workers... we were family.  We looked out for each other.  There were marriages, births, divorces, deaths, graduations... we were there.  Happy times and sad.  Ups and downs. 

Softball games, chili cook-offs, pre-flight tamale parties, certification beer busts, post-flight parties at The Outpost... great times with fantastic people.

We just also happened to control Space Shuttle missions.   ;)

So - for me, there's the obvious loss of national prestige and the lead in Manned Spaceflight with the end of the Shuttle Program without a *focused* and fully charged/funded follow-on program.  But, more importantly, it's the impact to the *people* that I feel the most.

Knowing friends of mine that are still with the program, who have given most, if not all, of their professional lives, are being let loose for no reason that I can fathom, other than poor politics...  pains me.

They deserve better.  This country owes them more. 

So, for the rest of my NASA family, I salute you - and will raise one in your honor tonight.

I am *honored* to have been part of that family... and will always feel proud of the time that we spent together... including flying a few Shuttle missions.   8)
Roger Balettie
former Flight Dynamics Officer
Space Shuttle Mission Control Center
http://space.balettie.com/

Offline edkyle99

• Expert
    • Space Launch Report
  • Liked: 8566
  • Likes Given: 1356
« Reply #24 on: 07/09/2011 10:50 pm »
I am far removed from working at KSC.  My time was during the mid-1980s, until a few months after Challenger.  I worked payload processing, back when "payloads" meant commercial communication satellites and the like, and have some nice memories of the people and the place. 

I too am impressed by the professionalism shown right to the end, right to the last T-31 seconds(!), by the final STS team at KSC.  There was a lump in my throat when I realized that the well-oiled launch crew was too good to let Atlantis sit there for another go on another day.

I can attest that there is life after the launch business.  I've engineered my way into all kinds of trouble since KSC.  But, as my presence on this forum attests, it was not possible, for me at least, to let go of the "business" altogether. 

Thanks and good luck to all!

- Ed Kyle
« Last Edit: 07/09/2011 10:51 pm by edkyle99 »

Offline saturnsky

• Houston, TX
  • Liked: 17
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #25 on: 07/10/2011 01:07 pm »
During the early years of the Shuttle program I had the opportunity to be a reporter for the National Space Society's Dial a Shuttle program.  DAS, as it was known, was a phone line that those interested would call for updates on flights, and live coverage of significant events, broadcasting NASA com on a 24 hour basis..DAS was available before widespread NASA TV, and the internet.  We worked out of JSC, and I had the opportunity of meeting many who helped behind the scenes to make the Shuttle fly..From controllers to crew trainers, for an armchair astronaut, it was great!  Friendships were made,  and opportunities in aerospace were offered...To all who have worked in the Program, past and present, I say thank you for your service to this country, and the world, and best of luck in the future...Peter

Offline gatormaxx

« Reply #26 on: 07/10/2011 02:50 pm »
During the early years of the Shuttle program I had the opportunity to be a reporter for the National Space Society's Dial a Shuttle program.  DAS, as it was known, was a phone line that those interested would call for updates on flights, and live coverage of significant events, broadcasting NASA com on a 24 hour basis..DAS was available before widespread NASA TV, and the internet.  We worked out of JSC, and I had the opportunity of meeting many who helped behind the scenes to make the Shuttle fly..From controllers to crew trainers, for an armchair astronaut, it was great!  Friendships were made,  and opportunities in aerospace were offered...To all who have worked in the Program, past and present, I say thank you for your service to this country, and the world, and best of luck in the future...Peter

Well... it's over, we lit the big candle for the last time, Atlantis ascended with the thunder and brute force we all came to know and love. I feel very empty today and I'm not the only one, a lot of very strong folks had a tough time when the engines shut down for the last time. We finished strong, as a 26 yr member of the PWR team at KSC I've never been more proud to have been a part of this. It is like a second family, we always prepared well and brought our best stuff on launch day. I pray this country has the will to re-enter the HSF arena with same dedication and commitment as Apollo, to reduce our legacy in space to that of a has been in the history books would be beyond shameful. Goodspeed to the shuttle team and God Bless to all that endeavour to make this country strong and free

Offline Quindar

• Upper California
  • Liked: 33
  • Likes Given: 63
« Reply #27 on: 07/10/2011 04:54 pm »
Drew, thank you and all your fellow workers for all the great service you have given to the care and feeding of our beloved Orbiters. I wish you well and hope you find something space related in your future.

It is hard for me to put into words my admiration for the whole program and those to whom it was more than just a job. And then there is your contribution to this forum, if you posted it I read it, thanks for that scarce commodity, hands on insight. Knowledge from a subject matter expert as yourself is what makes these forums so noteworthy.   

Fair Winds, and Following Seas my Friend!
Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...

Offline chksix

• Veteran
  • Sweden
« Reply #28 on: 07/11/2011 06:13 pm »
Thank you from a Swedish shuttle fanatic for making it possible to have a Swede in space twice. :)

I would write more but all previous posts reflect my feelings in better wording than I can accomplish.

All the best for your future line of work.

/Pierre in Sweden
Hoping for a future of NASA manned spaceflight

Offline BeanEstimator

• Pray for Mojo
  • Taxation without Representation
  • Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #29 on: 07/11/2011 09:14 pm »
Pad,

Just wanted to say thank you, and hang in there.  Agency is full of good men and women like yourself.  We're all fighters.

-Bean

and now a cliche, because I enjoy it:

"Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." -C. Coolidge
Note:  My posts are meant to discuss matters of public concern.  Posts and opinions are entirely my own and do not represent NASA, the government, or anyone else.

"Balancing Act: Public Employees and Free Speech"
http://bit.ly/Nfy3ke

Offline FinalFrontier

• Space Watcher
  • Liked: 1332
  • Likes Given: 173
« Reply #30 on: 07/11/2011 09:24 pm »
Pad and STS workers:

You guys have made your country proud, you may not be aware of it but alot more people, and I mean ALOT more people than I think anyone expected are watching this final launch and they do care, they really do, and many more than you think think this is a damn shame that the program couldn't continue to support the station or at the very least be extended.

People really do care, the American people are still watching and they do still care, hope is not lost for the future.

You guys have out done yourselves all these years constantly pushing forward in the face of political upheaval, technical challenge, and tragedy and you have made your country proud, congratulations on a successful program and godspeed in your future endeavors!
« Last Edit: 07/11/2011 09:24 pm by FinalFrontier »
3-30-2017: The start of a great future
"Live Long and Prosper"

Offline trunk

« Reply #31 on: 07/13/2011 08:05 am »
Hi nasaspaceflight readers, here is a short film about Titusville, its people and the Shuttle program. Hope you like it.

Feel free to comment or post elsewhere. It was a self funded project and with no financial gain in the making of this film.

« Last Edit: 07/13/2011 08:07 am by trunk »

Offline astronut7

« Reply #32 on: 07/17/2011 12:23 pm »
I would like to say thank you to EVERY PERSON that has worked on our space shuttle program from the very beginning up until the very end.  "THANK YOU".  You have made us all proud!!  YOU are the best!!!

Offline Johnnyd

« Reply #33 on: 07/17/2011 09:48 pm »
to all the men and women involved in the most impressive human undertaking during the course of my life.

In 1981, I watched the first launch from the east lawn of my middle school (science class of course) and have watched in awe every time the shuttle launched or returned home. While I never worked on or near the program, I was a simple working class citizen who was always overwhelmed with pride (read: tears of joy) of what my fellow countrymen (and women) could accomplish.

In 1986, by sheer happenstance,  I made an eastbound turn on a street that ended up pointing directly Titusville. By the time we "see" the shuttle on the west coast of Florida I believe she was already 30 or 40 seconds or so into her flight. It was merely seconds into seeing the plume and the tail of fire so clearly before I was in tears, pulled over hearing rocket man playing on the radio.

In 2003, 1 day before my birthday I was was awoke to my wife telling em they had lost contact with Columbia. I was sleeping in, it was just one of those Saturdays. I again cried, along with all of you. I felt like I was there with you all and lost someone close.

What amazed me most to this day, was that I was so emotional, so proud like a father who sees his son kick his first soccer goal or get his first touchdown. I felt this way every single time, yet I had no direct contact with the shuttle or it's people...

That is how you all affected my life as a citizen of this wonderful country. You all should be very proud. And while I choke up now, knowing that amazing sight will never be seen again, I only wish now I had furthered my education and gotten involved in a program like this that has changed history and our everyday lives.

God Bless and God Speed to all of you in your ensuing endeavors, whatever they may be. Thanks again from an average everyday guy, who got to enjoy your triumphs and weep in your tragedy... from afar.

Offline manlymatt83

« Reply #34 on: 07/18/2011 11:29 am »
A big, warm thanks to everyone involved in the Space Shuttle Program.

Offline Saturnian

« Reply #35 on: 07/21/2011 05:58 pm »
*I'm newly registered here, and I joined today specifically to open with this post... been planning to for a while now, bearing in mind so many of you here are NASA and contractor workers.

I don't claim to speak for everyone in the U.S., there are those who for whatever their reason, don't care for space exploration...but I'm not one of them.  From early childhood, visiting KSC days before Skylab was launched, I've watched with awe, fascination, and respect for the efforts and results that NASA has achieved.  Despite setbacks and loss, there is no denying your skills and determination have made the U.S. space program the envy of the world.... from the moment Shepard left the pad, to the Eagle touching down at Tranquility... from looking thru the eyes of Voyager, Hubble and the rovers, to the last wheels stop on Atlantis this morning. 

Despite my hopes as a youth, I wound up not working in your industry. (Maybe one day-- but only if they'd be open to hire somebody with 40 in their rearview mirror )  Yet as a very interested observer, I can say that you-- all of you, like our military, give America much of its pride.  Like before, in the mid-70's, we face a transition in space.  But I don't doubt at all that we will venture further before too long, hopefully with many of you being part of that process; your expertise is too valuable not to apply to another program in some way.

Please accept this salute today - With the thanks of a grateful nation, for all of the inspiration...

There's even a song that I'm reminded of on this day, and words to carry with you, wherever life takes you after today....
"We Can ( Do The Impossible ) "

Thank you, again!

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography