Author Topic: Who should be the next NASA Administrator?  (Read 310921 times)

Offline SkipMorrow

Re: Who should be the next NASA Administrator?
« Reply #640 on: 12/12/2017 06:22 pm »
Remind me, who votes? House? Senate? And how many votes does it take to pass? I would think there would be enough republican votes there to make it without any concern. But you are right, they may be delaying until they get a better feel for whether or not they have the votes.

Offline incoming

• washington, DC
  • Liked: 106
  • Likes Given: 45
« Reply #641 on: 12/12/2017 07:01 pm »
Just the Senate confirms nominees.  It now only requires a majority vote to confirm an executive branch nominee.  This was the controversial "nuclear option" that was originally invoked for executive branch nominees by then Democratic Leader Harry Reid, and extended by the current regime to Supreme Court nominees as well.  It used to be that 60 votes were required to advance a nominee to the floor for a vote, which meant (except in rare circumstances when one party had a supermajority in the Senate) executive branch nominees needed to get at least some support from the minority party.

Since the rules were changed, and now that you have the same party controlling both the White House and the Senate, the nominees have tended to be much more partisan.

Based on the current ratios in the Senate, the Republicans can only afford to have a couple of members vote against the nominee assuming they can't attract a few democrats.

Offline yg1968

• Liked: 7123
  • Likes Given: 3064
« Reply #642 on: 12/12/2017 07:33 pm »
If they knew he would be confirmed, they would put him up for a vote. Obviously they don't think they have the votes yet.

That's not true. Many Trump nominees have been held up for months by Democrats but are still expected to pass prior to the Chrismas break. NW says that Rubio and McCain might vote against Bridenstine. Rubio is trying to distance himself from Trump and there is a bit of sour grapes with Rubio because Bridenstine supported Cruz and Trump over Rubio during the primaries. I am not sure why McCain would vote against Bridenstine.
« Last Edit: 12/12/2017 08:00 pm by yg1968 »

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 4548
  • Likes Given: 13523
« Reply #643 on: 12/12/2017 07:51 pm »
If they knew he would be confirmed, they would put him up for a vote. Obviously they don't think they have the votes yet.

That's not true. Many Trump nominees have been held up for months by Democrats but are still expected to pass prior to the Chrismas break. NW says that Rubio and McCain might vote against Bridenstine. Rubio is trying to distance himself from Trump and there is a bit of sour grapes between Rubio and Bridenstine because Bridenstine supported Cruz and Trump over Rubio during the primaries. I am not sure why McCain would vote against Bridenstine.
He is on record about what he thinks of the Tea Party/Freedom Caucus members for starters...
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator

Offline MATTBLAK

• Elite Veteran & 'J.A.F.A'
  • 'Space Cadets' Let us; UNITE!! (crickets chirping)
  • New Zealand
  • Liked: 2239
  • Likes Given: 3883
« Reply #644 on: 12/12/2017 08:09 pm »
I think Mr McCain wants to inflict one of 'a thousand stings' against Trump - just because he can. But as for Bridenstine; yes it's possible that there may be somebody better for the job than him. But do they want the job? Are they even in public service or politics? Have they even left college yet?
"Those who can't, Blog".   'Space Cadets' of the World - Let us UNITE!! (crickets chirping)

Offline MATTBLAK

• New Zealand
« Reply #645 on: 12/12/2017 08:10 pm »
...I think that for the immediate future; Bridenstine is the best we're going to get.
"Those who can't, Blog".   'Space Cadets' of the World - Let us UNITE!! (crickets chirping)

Online Blackstar

• Veteran
  • Liked: 7823
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #646 on: 12/13/2017 01:52 am »

That's not true.

Yes, it is true.

Offline SkipMorrow

« Reply #647 on: 12/13/2017 03:31 am »
...I think that for the immediate future; Bridenstine is the best we're going to get.

Mr. Lightfoot has almost a full year of experience running NASA. Nominate him. There are definitely better options available.

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
« Reply #648 on: 12/13/2017 07:08 am »

Mr. Lightfoot has almost a full year of experience running NASA. Nominate him. There are definitely better options available.

My read of the posts in this thread and other tea leaves is that he's not palatable to the current administration, regardless of competence. Competence is apparently not the only criterion, there is also political alignment. Best not to discuss exactly why that is.
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline SkipMorrow

« Reply #649 on: 12/13/2017 09:57 am »
I have come to the same conclusion, Lar. Grrr.....

Offline MATTBLAK

• New Zealand
« Reply #650 on: 12/13/2017 10:18 am »
I did say that although Bridenstine may not be the best person for the job; he may be the best we're going to get...

Offline yg1968

« Reply #651 on: 12/13/2017 05:26 pm »

That's not true.

Yes, it is true.

OK, thanks. I will take your word for it. It wasn't clear if you know this for a fact or if you were reading tea leaves.

Yesterday's Alabama result won't help Bridenstine unless Republicans can get their act together before the new Democratic Senator gets sworn in (likely on December 26th).
« Last Edit: 12/13/2017 05:27 pm by yg1968 »

Online Blackstar

• Veteran
« Reply #652 on: 12/13/2017 11:07 pm »

That's not true.

Yes, it is true.

OK, thanks. I will take your word for it. It wasn't clear if you know this for a fact or if you were reading tea leaves.

Yesterday's Alabama result won't help Bridenstine unless Republicans can get their act together before the new Democratic Senator gets sworn in (likely on December 26th).

I do. They were working behind the scenes to get enough support. I don't know anything beyond that.

"Getting their act together" has not been high on the Republican list of priorities lately.

Online Blackstar

• Veteran
« Reply #653 on: 12/14/2017 07:18 pm »
Allow me to be so bold as to suggest that now that Jones has been elected to the Senate, if there was a narrow margin of support for Bridenstine before, it is either more narrow or nonexistent. One possibility is that he could be privately encouraged to withdraw his nomination. Or he could ask for a vote and see where the cards fall.

Offline yg1968

« Reply #654 on: 12/15/2017 01:47 am »
This is somewhat related but the Senate is considering reducing the hours of debate for executive nominees (from the current 30 hours to 8 hours for high ranking nominees):
http://www.rollcall.com/news/politics/108451-2
« Last Edit: 12/15/2017 01:49 am by yg1968 »

Offline Coastal Ron

• I live... along the coast
  • Liked: 10199
  • Likes Given: 11927
« Reply #655 on: 12/15/2017 02:07 am »
I did say that although Bridenstine may not be the best person for the job; he may be the best we're going to get...

I don't like to reward bad behavior, nor do I want to reward mediocracy.

The U.S. has over 100,000,000 adults in the age range to be NASA Administrator, and Bridenstine is just one of them. I have no doubt that there are thousands of qualified people to choose from.

Of course it is assumed that many qualified people would be unlikely to consider the job because of Trump and his policies, but I have no doubt that there are still thousands of potential candidates that would consider working for Trump, and would be more qualified than Bridenstine - especially considering that Bridenstine's overarching qualification was that he is a politician that was on a NASA committee, but otherwise doesn't have big government or complex project management experience.

So if Bridenstine is not made NASA Administrator, we don't have to settle for someone even less qualified than he is.
If we don't continuously lower the cost to access space, how are we ever going to afford to expand humanity out into space?

Offline incoming

• washington, DC
  • Liked: 106
  • Likes Given: 45
« Reply #656 on: 12/15/2017 02:25 am »

So if Bridenstine is not made NASA Administrator, we don't have to settle for someone even less qualified than he is.

This is a valid point. I think there have to be hundreds if not thousands of business executives, public officials, former military leaders, perhaps heads of nonprofits, etc who are never even considered, even though they may have a lot of relevant experience and would meet the administration’s “standards,” just because they don’t know someone on the “inside” who will put their name forward.

Seems like social media has democratized so much (for better or worse) yet the good ol boys network still rules this process.

Maybe we need another thread for it but I think it’s worthwile for folks to throw some “plan b” names around and see if we can come up with anyone new. A few pages back there was a brief discussion but it kind of died off. Unless bridenstine hits a buzzer beater at the very end of this year he faces even bleaker prospects next year when the republicans have one less vote.

Offline MATTBLAK

• New Zealand
« Reply #657 on: 12/15/2017 02:51 am »

I don't like to reward bad behavior, nor do I want to reward mediocracy.

The U.S. has over 100,000,000 adults in the age range to be NASA Administrator, and Bridenstine is just one of them. I have no doubt that there are thousands of qualified people to choose from.

Of course it is assumed that many qualified people would be unlikely to consider the job because of Trump and his policies, but I have no doubt that there are still thousands of potential candidates that would consider working for Trump, and would be more qualified than Bridenstine - especially considering that Bridenstine's overarching qualification was that he is a politician that was on a NASA committee, but otherwise doesn't have big government or complex project management experience.

Well... Yes, you may be correct. But do you have a list of people? I'd love to see it. And are we/you going to have to settle for someone less qualified? It's not my taxes that are going to pay his salary after all...

I make some points - some that are focused and singular; and then some other folks just want to go against them because... Well; just because. Was never trying to open back-and-forth claims/counter claims or points/counterpoints.

EDIT:
Didn't someone once advocate Rear Adm. Craig E. Steidle? He certainly seems qualified. But does he want the job? Does he need the job? Would he be able to be a 'James Webb' type, able to get on well with politicians from both sides of the House and be a superlative manager and figurehead? Would he be good articulating plans and budget plans and breakdowns before Congress and/or the Senate? Would Bridenstine, for that matter?
« Last Edit: 12/15/2017 02:55 am by MATTBLAK »

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
« Reply #658 on: 12/15/2017 03:40 am »
I can think of many people more qualified, but as stated before, just being qualified isn't the only part of the rubric. I think posts that don't take that into account might not be adding a lot of value.
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline MATTBLAK

• New Zealand
« Reply #659 on: 12/15/2017 06:19 am »
There is actually probably no hurry to get James Bridenstine into the position while Lightfoot is doing a good job of 'placeholding'. You are probably right in that it may happen after the mid-term elections. Many of us have our own idea of what makes a 'suitable and qualified' NASA Administrator. And I've seen - even on this thread - some people struggling to contain their irritation that someone might have a different opinion than their own?! But that's what passes for discourse these days, out in the 'real world' beyond this polite and actually adult forum.

This is a very tricky subject matter - for thread contributors and moderators. The balance is almost impossible to maintain between those who are trying to explain their reasons for liking/not liking/wanting someone and those who are being partisan for probably private, political reasons. For instance; I'm a rather liberal sort in real life, who actually thinks Bridenstine - a conservative - would probably do a reasonable job. It remains to be seen whether Democrat forces will oppose him just because he's one of 'Trump's Guys' or whether they think he's unqualified for another reason. And also don't forget:

I've followed the opinions about previous NASA Administrators by the smart folk and the comedians here among my peers on this fine website. I've never seen - or don't remember - cheer leading for Dan Goldin, O'Keefe, Griffin or Bolden. So essentially, many guys here are saying there is probably no one suitable for NASA. I can almost put money on the fact that you guys will not like anyone. We've become jaded and impatient. Me too, at times.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography