Author Topic: Docking/Berthing Q&A  (Read 41260 times)

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 699
  • Likes Given: 723
Re: Docking/Berthing Q&A
« Reply #60 on: 09/22/2016 05:47 pm »
Is there a difference in size or design between big berthing ports for cargo, and berthing ports intended to permanently attach new modules? And are those differences design choices or dictated by the size and mass of the attached vehicle?

I don't know for USOS, but for Russian Segment there is a difference between Zvezda's three front ports and other Russian docking ports.

On Mir, all the docking ports were SSVP type. But, after fifteen years of experience, they realized that docking ports of the large modules were enduring big efforts over the years. So, when they built Zvezda, they changed these docking ports, which became SSVP-M. It has larger hatches, but the main difference is that they can endure stronger efforts.

The rationale for the 1100mm hybrid ports were for permanent docking of large modules to Zvezda. As a happy side benefit, it's  easier to move cargo through those ports than the old 800mm ports.

Online DaveS

• Shuttle program observer
  • Sweden
  • Liked: 1199
  • Likes Given: 65
« Reply #61 on: 09/22/2016 05:55 pm »
Does anyone have any information on the APDS Switching System that was used on shuttle missions STS-74 and STS-88? From what I have researched, it was used to provide TM as well as C&C for the APAS'es on the Docking Module (STS-74) and ISS PMA-1 for successful docking to Mir and the FGB respecitively.

Are you asking about the relays in the Docking Module? AFAIK, all newer APAS require use of relays.
Well, I want to know about the switching system used on 74 and 88 that allowed the shuttle crews to operate the active APDS units (upper APAS on the DM and PMA-1 APAS) on those flights other than the ODS itself.
« Last Edit: 09/22/2016 05:56 pm by DaveS »
"For Sardines, space is no problem!"
-1996 Astronaut class slogan

"We're rolling in the wrong direction but for the right reasons"
-USA engineer about the rollback of Discovery prior to the STS-114 Return To Flight mission

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 699
  • Likes Given: 723
« Reply #62 on: 09/22/2016 09:35 pm »
Your question is a little confusing because you are referencing the APAS procurement spec, which was developed after the Mir program was basically complete. So, the STS-74 mission may have used a different switch box than the ISS switching unit referenced in your document. Note that your document also references ICM, which never flew.

Which reminds me, what happened to the ICM?

Online DaveS

• Sweden
« Reply #63 on: 09/22/2016 09:46 pm »
Your question is a little confusing because you are referencing the APAS procurement spec, which was developed after the Mir program was basically complete. So, the STS-74 mission may have used a different switch box than the ISS switching unit referenced in your document. Note that your document also references ICM, which never flew.

Which reminds me, what happened to the ICM?

The reason why I included the ICM page was due to the fact that it was going to use an active APAS much like PMA-1 and the DM. I just want to know how the switching system worked, if it involved any crew actions.

-USA engineer about the rollback of Discovery prior to the STS-114 Return To Flight mission

Online DaveS

• Sweden
« Reply #64 on: 02/25/2020 10:48 pm »
Well, back to the APDS Switching System: I just can't wrap my head around how it actually worked. Did it bypass the normal PMA-2 controls or how did it work? How did it communicate with the A7U APDS Control Panel once the APAS unit on PMA-1 had been mated to the orbiter APAS unit?

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography