Author Topic: The CRS-5/SpX-5 - Godspeed, Rocket CATS - Party Thread  (Read 278068 times)

Offline AndrewM

• Global Moderator
  • United States
  • Liked: 256
  • Likes Given: 751
Re: The CRS-5/SpX-5 - Godspeed, Rocket CATS - Party Thread
« Reply #180 on: 12/18/2014 02:03 pm »
Sad for the delay but now Jan.6 is an even better day. CRS-5 and 2 hour premiere of Agent Carter! :)

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 4548
  • Likes Given: 13523
« Reply #181 on: 12/18/2014 02:19 pm »
Our equal opportunity hater-friend is back after the ULA scrub to air an opinion...
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator

Offline The Amazing Catstronaut

• Arsia Mons, Mars, Sol IV, Inner Solar Solar System, Sol system.
  • Liked: 759
  • Likes Given: 626
« Reply #182 on: 12/18/2014 02:59 pm »
Hang on a moment....

January the sixth...

....This monster is going to launch on my freakin' eighteenth birthday. :D Whelp!

PleaseLandSuccessfullyPleaseLandSuccessfullyPlease... -pleading-
Resident feline spaceflight expert. Knows nothing of value about human spaceflight.

Offline Prober

• Save the spin....I'm keeping you honest!
  • Nevada
  • Liked: 721
  • Likes Given: 729
« Reply #183 on: 12/18/2014 05:04 pm »
Well, that means only one thing for the CATS. Hibernation mode.

think the experiment sent up to the ISS a while back might be the way to go.   They sent up ants.  Maybe someone should send over a few rounds of fire ants to join the xmas party.   ;D

That should fire things up :P
2017 - Everything Old is New Again.
"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant..." --Isoroku Yamamoto

Offline Ronpur50

• Brandon, FL
  • Liked: 1028
  • Likes Given: 1884
« Reply #184 on: 12/19/2014 12:00 am »
Well, that means only one thing for the CATS. Hibernation mode.

Isn't that CATS normal mode of operation?  Hibernation?

I have also noted eating mode, poopin' mode and waking you up 4 hours early mode.

Offline cro-magnon gramps

• Very Ancient Martian National
  • Ontario, Canada
  • Liked: 843
  • Likes Given: 10995
« Reply #185 on: 12/19/2014 12:37 am »
Party on hold until January.  :'(

Rats!  This slip is totally wasting the many minutes I spent working in MS Paint to document the new "in-line" engine configuration SpaceX was going to test in this flight.  The best thing about this particular configuration is that even though you only load enough RP-1 for 1 mission, the engines can actually complete 8 full missions before running to depletion.  But now the timing won't match up anymore.   :'(

hope you don't mind, but I used the picture as my Hannukah Card on Facebook, and will be sending it to a special friend in SA... she will definitely understand  ;D thx
Gramps "Earthling by Birth, Martian by the grace of The Elon." ~ "Hate, it has caused a lot of problems in the world, but it has not solved one yet." Maya Angelou ~ Tony Benn: "Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself."

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 4548
  • Likes Given: 13523
« Reply #186 on: 12/19/2014 12:42 am »

Rats!  This slip is totally wasting the many minutes I spent working in MS Paint to document the new "in-line" engine configuration SpaceX was going to test in this flight.  The best thing about this particular configuration is that even though you only load enough RP-1 for 1 mission, the engines can actually complete 8 full missions before running to depletion.  But now the timing won't match up anymore.   :'(

hope you don't mind, but I used the picture as my Hannukah Card on Facebook, and will be sending it to a special friend in SA... she will definitely understand  ;D thx
It's time to light the candle gramps!! ;D
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator

• Ontario, Canada
« Reply #187 on: 12/19/2014 12:44 am »
HEY!!! All is not lost!!! Doesn't anyone know what day January 6th is???
   On the 12th day of Christmas my SpaceX gave to me,
     (2 days late for my BD  :o )
      A Successful Launch of the Falcon 9,
        A Dragon Berthing to the ISS,
          and a center shot landing on the ASDS ;D
            No Pressure Elon / Padrat / and SpaceX-MS
                JUST DO IT!!! BWG

Gramps
Gramps "Earthling by Birth, Martian by the grace of The Elon." ~ "Hate, it has caused a lot of problems in the world, but it has not solved one yet." Maya Angelou ~ Tony Benn: "Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself."

Offline deruch

• California
  • Liked: 2006
  • Likes Given: 5634
« Reply #188 on: 12/19/2014 12:45 am »

Enjoy.  Fair game for all.  I considered trying to replace the Dragon capsule with a dreidel as well, but too quickly hit the wall of my photo editing patience.  An alternate idea was to crop and flip the rocket+exhaust over and then use it to replace the candles in a hannukiah.

edit: Attaching festive CRS-5 mission patch wallpaper created by reddit user JauXin, though the slip sort of Grinches that one up a bit too.
« Last Edit: 12/19/2014 12:52 am by deruch »
Shouldn't reality posts be in "Advanced concepts"?  --Nomadd

• Ontario, Canada
« Reply #189 on: 12/19/2014 12:49 am »

Enjoy.  Fair game for all.  I considered trying to replace the Dragon capsule with a dreidel as well, but too quickly hit the wall of my photo editing patience.  An alternate idea was to crop and flip the rocket+exhaust over and then use it to replace the candles in a hannukiah.

My Brother (who converted) would have gone bananas over the dreidel... Thx for what you could do...

• Ontario, Canada
« Reply #190 on: 12/19/2014 01:15 am »
OK, someone suggested that leaving the four leaf clover off the Christmas Card was bad mojo... so taking due cognizance of the situation, and shifting my eye page a bit to get comfy, and after a couple of drams of rp-1 (aka grog) I came up with this...  :D

Offline deruch

• California
  • Liked: 2006
  • Likes Given: 5634
« Reply #191 on: 12/19/2014 01:42 am »
OK, someone suggested that leaving the four leaf clover off the Christmas Card was bad mojo... so taking due cognizance of the situation, and shifting my eye page a bit to get comfy, and after a couple of drams of rp-1 (aka grog) I came up with this...  :D

It took me a bit to see the addition (on the rocket, underneath the X in SpaceX).  Nice.
« Last Edit: 12/19/2014 01:42 am by deruch »
Shouldn't reality posts be in "Advanced concepts"?  --Nomadd

Offline darkenfast

• Liked: 1829
  • Likes Given: 8739
« Reply #192 on: 12/19/2014 02:51 am »
It'll be in orbit for the Russian Orthodox Christmas.
Writer of Book and Lyrics for musicals "SCAR", "Cinderella!", and "Aladdin!". Retired Naval Security Group. "I think SCAR is a winner. Great score, [and] the writing is up there with the very best!"
-- Phil Henderson, Composer of the West End musical "The Far Pavilions".

Offline Semmel

• Germany
  • Liked: 2433
  • Likes Given: 11916
« Reply #193 on: 12/19/2014 10:01 am »
after a couple of drams of rp-1 (aka grog)

grog? THAT Grog?:
Rum must,  sugar can, water may (ruin it).

Offline Endeavour_01

• Hazards & Risk Analyst in SC, USA
  • Liked: 759
  • Likes Given: 580
« Reply #194 on: 12/19/2014 06:26 pm »

Dag nab it. At least my wife and I will be back home and not on the road for the new date as well. So far we have a perfect launch viewing record for the CRS flights (and EFT-1).  :)
I cheer for both NASA and commercial space. For SLS, Orion, Falcon 9, Falcon Heavy, Dragon, Starship/SH, Starliner, Cygnus and all the rest!
I was blessed to see the launch of Space Shuttle Endeavour on STS-99. The launch was beyond amazing. My 8-year old mind was blown. I remember the noise and seeing the exhaust pour out of the shuttle as it lifted off. I remember staring and watching it soar while it was visible in the clear blue sky. It was one of the greatest moments of my life and I will never forget it.

Offline Galactic Penguin SST

In other news, this is the make-shift party thread for the first flight of one of FH's enemies, the new Russian Monster Rocket (TM), now under 3 days away: http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=35807.0  ;)
Astronomy & spaceflight geek penguin. In a relationship w/ Space Shuttle Discovery. Current Priority: Chasing the Chinese Spaceflight Wonder Egg & A Certain Chinese Mars Rover

Offline mme

• Santa Barbara, CA, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Supercluster
  • Liked: 2034
  • Likes Given: 5381
« Reply #196 on: 12/20/2014 07:00 pm »
In other news, this is the make-shift party thread for the first flight of one of FH's enemies, the new Russian Monster Rocket (TM), now under 3 days away: http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=35807.0  ;)
Few things are more motivating than a worthy competitor.  When Roger Bannister broke the four minute mile, everyone else discovered it was possible to run faster, and they had to.  Russia, India and China will help keep SpaceX driving hard for reusability.  Let the games begin! [1] :)

[1] I believe that SpaceX is intrinsically motivated so at this point in history need the external motivation less than most companies.  But still, a little insurance doesn't hurt.
Space is not Highlander.  There can, and will, be more than one.

Offline DecoLV

• Boston, MA, USA
  • Liked: 205
  • Likes Given: 72
« Reply #197 on: 12/20/2014 11:01 pm »

There goes the meme of Li'l mVac Saves Christmas, as well.

Offline Joffan

If all goes according to the new plan, the barge landing will be an Epiphany event. Magi-cal.
Getting through max-Q for humanity becoming fully spacefaring

Offline theebag

• Netherlands
  • Liked: 29
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #199 on: 12/21/2014 10:21 am »
If all goes according to the new plan, the barge landing will be an Epiphany event. Magi-cal.

Hopefully all goes to plan, no need for a hoover slammed cat :D

« Last Edit: 12/21/2014 10:28 am by theebag »
Floating around the globe.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography