Author Topic: Modelling Mars  (Read 221419 times)

Re: Modelling Mars
« Reply #300 on: 03/21/2015 07:02 am »
Had to make an account to share this with ya guys  ;)

Been following the thread for a couple months now after finishing the book.  I decided to give a video/recreation of the mission a shot for the 30th anniversary.

« Last Edit: 03/21/2015 07:16 am by ChrisPBacon »

Offline Archibald

• Liked: 500
  • Likes Given: 1096
« Reply #301 on: 03/21/2015 08:54 am »
Oh that's really an amazing work ! Kudos, now Voyage has been done in both Orbiter and Kerbal space simulators.  ;D
« Last Edit: 03/21/2015 08:56 am by Archibald »
Han shot first and Gwynne Shotwell !

Offline MATTBLAK

• Elite Veteran & 'J.A.F.A'
  • 'Space Cadets' Let us; UNITE!! (crickets chirping)
  • New Zealand
  • Liked: 2239
  • Likes Given: 3883
« Reply #302 on: 03/21/2015 09:38 am »
That's really good!
"Those who can't, Blog".   'Space Cadets' of the World - Let us UNITE!! (crickets chirping)

Offline Ronpur50

• Brandon, FL
  • Liked: 1028
  • Likes Given: 1884
« Reply #303 on: 03/21/2015 11:53 am »
Chris P, that is fantastic!  What a treat to wake up to!   You have done what I dreamed of and put the models into motion!!  I am truly thrilled to see them come to life.  When I saw the NASA worm and flag on the silver Mission Module looking exactly like my model, I was so excited.  And the same when I saw the booster stack in orbit, with the same markings on the MS-II. 

I really hope Stephen Baxter gets to read my email someday, and finds his way here to see what a few dedicated fans of his book have done.  We want a manned mission to Mars so bad, we had to recreate history to have had one.

To quote Buzz Aldrin "Get your ass to Mars!"

Or would that be Joe Muldoon?  ;)

Offline Ronpur50

• Brandon, FL
« Reply #304 on: 03/21/2015 01:13 pm »
Here is a better photo of Ares in spotlight.  I didn't not even realize the first Apollo 11 photo I downloaded as the base was in reverse!

Offline Ronpur50

• Brandon, FL
« Reply #305 on: 03/21/2015 01:46 pm »
"Mission Elapsed Time [Day/Hr:Min:Sec] Plus 001/13:45:57
“You are go for TOI,” Capcom Bob Crippen said. “One minute thirty.”
“Thank you,” Gershon replied.
Stone said, “Go for ET hydrogen pressurization.”
“Confirm.”
York began closing switches that would raise the temperature inside the booster’s two great External Tanks. Liquid hydrogen would boil and evaporate, and the resulting gas would force liquid propellant through the feed pipes and into the combustion chambers of the MS-II.
“Ares, you are go for the burn,” Crippen said.
Stone set the “master arm” switch to ON, and York could see him checking over the rest of the instrument panel. Guidance control was set to primary; thrust control was on automatic; the craft was in the correct attitude; the engine gimbals were enabled, so that the nozzles could swivel like eyeballs in their sockets to direct the craft.
Eight seconds before ignition, York felt a push at her back. Ullage: small rockets firing around the base of the stack, settling the propellants before the main burn.
There was a small button marked PROCEED under the screen. Stone reached out a gloved finger, and pressed the button.
Gershon counted down: “Five. Four…”
York braced herself.
There was a distant rumble, carried through the stack, as the MS-II’s four huge engines ignited, three hundred feet away from her. The acceleration was low, almost gentle, pushing her into her couch with a soft pressure across her chest and limbs."

Offline Ronpur50

• Brandon, FL
« Reply #306 on: 03/21/2015 01:49 pm »
"“ETs depleted,” York reported. “Ready for sep.”
“Roger,” Stone said.
More than two million pounds of fuel, a treasure that had taken five launches to haul up to Earth orbit, had burned off in sixteen minutes.
“Three, two, one. Fire.”
Outside, pyrotechnics would be severing the securing bolts and frames at the top and bottom of each tank, and guillotines should be slicing across the wide feed pipes which had carried fuel from the tanks into the MS-II’s belly. York half expected to hear a rattle of bolts, muffled clangs, like the staging during the Saturn VB launch, but she heard and felt nothing.
“ET sep is good,” she said.
“Confirm ET sep,” said Crippen.
“Hey, how about that.” Gershon was looking out of his window. “I can see a tank.”"

Offline Ronpur50

• Brandon, FL
« Reply #307 on: 03/21/2015 01:53 pm »
Next up for Ares, as it climbed from Earth's gravity well, would be the transposition and redocking of the CSM to the Mission Module.

The Moon was a New Moon on March 21, so I showed it that way, with the farside visible as Ares flies past it, heading towards it's flyby of Venus.

Offline Ronpur50

• Brandon, FL
« Reply #308 on: 03/21/2015 02:34 pm »
Once inside the Mission Module, Endeavour, the crew quickly set up the spacecraft for the long voyage to Mars.  Solar panels and high gain antenna were extended.  They would see nothing but stars out the tiny picture window until their flyby of Venus, September 8, 1985.
« Last Edit: 03/21/2015 02:57 pm by Ronpur50 »

Offline mike robel

• Extreme Veteran
  • Merritt Island, FL
  • Liked: 369
  • Likes Given: 260
« Reply #309 on: 03/21/2015 06:42 pm »
Nice job Ron

Offline Ronpur50

• Brandon, FL
« Reply #310 on: 03/22/2015 03:12 am »

Offline roma847

• Be part of it
  • Germany
  • Liked: 2191
  • Likes Given: 55
« Reply #311 on: 03/22/2015 05:59 am »
Hey Ron, that looks really cool!

Regards from Germany

Manfred

Under construction:
1:144 Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6

Offline Ronpur50

• Brandon, FL
« Reply #312 on: 03/22/2015 10:43 am »
Hey Ron, that looks really cool!

Thanks, Manfred! :)

Offline Ronpur50

• Brandon, FL
« Reply #313 on: 03/25/2015 10:50 pm »
 "Mission Elapsed Time [Day/Hr:Min:Sec] Plus 005/01:42:11
“Ares, Houston, thank you. Ah, Ralph, Phil, Natalie, could we get you all in one shot for a moment, please?”
Stone looked puzzled. “Say again, Houston.”
“If we can have you all in the camera’s field of view for a couple of minutes.”
Stone drifted close to York, who stayed by the table; and Gershon floated down behind them, facing the camera.
“Ares, Houston,” Crippen said. “Just about now, ah, at five plus one plus forty-two” — one hour into the mission’s fifth day — “you are passing a significant boundary. Although you may not feel it. It’s something you might like to think about as you eat your meal today.”
“We look forward to hearing about it, Bob.”
“…Maybe one of you could tell us what you can see out of your picture window right now.”
York turned. The “picture window” was a two-foot-wide viewport set in the wall of the wardroom, big enough to have to curve to follow the concavity of the pressure hull; it was triple-paned, with the thick, tough feel about it of an airplane window.
“I see Earth and Moon,” she reported. “They’re both pretty much full, although I can see a thin slice of shadow down the right-hand limb of each of them.” Earth was so distant, its sphericity wasn’t obvious; it was reduced to a flat blue bowl of light, with its pale, shrunken companion close by its limb. “The Earthlight is still bright,” she said. “Strong enough to read a book by, I’d say. But…”
“Go ahead, Natalie.”
“Something is different.” She peered into the window to see better. “The sky is just like a clear night on Earth. And — my God — it’s full of stars. Earlier in the flight the glare of Earth was so bright it blacked out everything else. Now, I can see the stars. I can recognize the constellations again, for the first time on the trip.”
“Ares, I guess you’ve really gone up into night.”
“Yes, we have. A huge, empty, cold night at that.”
“Ares, Houston. Thank you, Natalie. Ares, here’s the significance. You’re now almost exactly five hundred and sixty-two thousand statute miles from the Earth. That’s twice as far as any human has traveled before. And you’re now passing out of the Earth’s sphere of influence.”
Sphere of influence — an imaginary bubble in space centered on Earth, an almost perfect sphere where the gravitational potential of Earth and sun were in balance. Inside the sphere of influence, Ares had essentially been in an orbit dominated by Earth; beyond that point, however, the craft had escaped from Earth and was in solar orbit, a new planet."
« Last Edit: 03/25/2015 10:54 pm by Ronpur50 »

Online Bob Shaw

• Liked: 727
  • Likes Given: 676
« Reply #314 on: 03/28/2015 12:47 am »
Great work, guys! Keep it up!

Offline Ronpur50

• Brandon, FL
« Reply #315 on: 03/28/2015 12:59 am »
Great work, guys! Keep it up!

I am afraid there is a bit of a gap until the next milestone.  LOL.

But I am going to resume work on my other Mars project next week.

But from Baxter's Universe, I am working on a wet workshop Skylab.  A Saturn 1B with workshop on top.  I will be able to add solar panels and a telescope LM when I get around to it.   

Offline mike robel

• Extreme Veteran
  • Merritt Island, FL
  • Liked: 369
  • Likes Given: 260
« Reply #316 on: 03/28/2015 01:17 am »
I like all the docking ports.  Load that baby up with a Soyuz, a logistics module, two Apollo's, and the ATM

Offline Ronpur50

• Brandon, FL
« Reply #317 on: 03/29/2015 04:55 am »
I decided to re-do Moonlab's Apollo Telescope Mount's solar array to the windmill configuration.  It just makes it seam more like a Skylab wet workshop.  I have a few more photos in work to also show the reworked S-IVB thrust structure.

Offline Ronpur50

• Brandon, FL
« Reply #318 on: 03/29/2015 10:04 pm »
Here are a couple of other angles of Moonlab/Soyuz.

Offline Ronpur50

• Brandon, FL
« Reply #319 on: 03/30/2015 02:41 am »
Back in Earth orbit, I added a few decals to the Skylab Saturn 1B, SA-206.  Which in this universe, took the first Skylab crew to orbit. 

Although not technically part of the Baxter Earth, I have also been building Apollo 8's Saturn V and Saturn 1B SA-203.  A few more items to do on all 3 launch vehicles.

The Saturn V features batted F1 engines that I whipped up using metal plumbers tape.  It is a new idea I decided to try and I like the result.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography