Author Topic: New NSF Feedback Thread  (Read 375395 times)

Offline Chris Bergin

Re: New NSF Feedback Thread
« Reply #580 on: 11/20/2015 04:31 pm »
Is the RSS feed down? (My FF's RSS bookmark doesn't load)

We'll check, but a good call would be to follow me on Twitter @nasaspaceflight.com - as that acts like a RSS feed in that I tweet the second I put an article on, with a link.
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #581 on: 11/20/2015 11:35 pm »
Is the RSS feed down? (My FF's RSS bookmark doesn't load)

I think I've fixed it! ;D

I did the error checker for RSS and it found a line in my Cygnus article that had bad formatting (because I copied a line from a PDF I guess). Removed it and wrote it word for word and it seems good now! :)

Let me know!
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Online HVM

• Finland
  • Liked: 1203
  • Likes Given: 596
« Reply #582 on: 11/21/2015 09:03 am »
Fixed, thx.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #583 on: 11/28/2015 02:25 pm »
That minute of downtime just then was just us updating the SSL certificate. :) (In case you happened to be on site at the time).

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 3974
  • Likes Given: 220
« Reply #584 on: 11/29/2015 08:40 am »

That minute of downtime just then was just us updating the SSL certificate. :) (In case you happened to be on site at the time).

It threw me off the site in Tapatalk.

Offline spacedem

• Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 14
« Reply #585 on: 12/04/2015 08:36 pm »
Not sure if this has been brought up yet, but the forums are looking pretty janky in Microsoft's new browser.  See attached for an example.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #586 on: 12/04/2015 09:11 pm »
Not sure if this has been brought up yet, but the forums are looking pretty janky in Microsoft's new browser.  See attached for an example.

It has. Edge is a joke of a browser. I can't use it with most sites.

Best to use a better browser.

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 3974
  • Likes Given: 220
« Reply #587 on: 12/04/2015 10:06 pm »

It has. Edge is a joke of a browser. I can't use it with most sites.

Best to use a better browser.

I mostly don't really have any issues with it compared to how it was when Windows 10 was first properly released.

Offline bilboleo1

« Reply #588 on: 12/22/2015 03:55 pm »
Chris,

Ever had any talk about creating a non-L2 subscription service? Something like my local NPR stations, where I can give a $10 donation (via text) or a sustaining $5/month membership. Idea is a bit more economical than an L2 membership while still supporting the site (call it an L1 membership?). I'm not involved in the industry, just very interested and appreciative of the NSF coverage. Don't think I could handle losing myself in the L2 library and archives (nor would my better half appreciate it), so supporting the site in a smaller way, without the L2 benefit, would still be acceptable.  And with 2 kids in college, disposable income is often nothing more than a pipe dream.
cheers
-SpaceX made the solar system a slightly smaller place tonight, but they also inspired the next generation of engineers to carry on mankinds exploration of space. What a great way to wrap up 2015. [Rifleman]

Offline Martin FL

• Elite Veteran
  • Liked: 137
  • Likes Given: 278
« Reply #589 on: 12/22/2015 05:02 pm »
It's a fair point you make as L2 is massive. I've been here 10 years. I went to a lifetime L2 member seven years ago (great move on my part!) in I'm kept busy by the new stuff, but STILL finding more things. The other day I found a presentation on how they wash out the SRB segments, a massive car wash, with great photos and graphics and I thought I had read all the SRB bibles in L2. Random example, but cool! Astonishing how big L2 is.
« Last Edit: 12/22/2015 05:04 pm by Martin FL »

Offline mtakala24

« Reply #590 on: 12/22/2015 05:34 pm »
You could just get L2 for a month every now and then. There is no mandate to read L2 to support, although I understand the difficulties in handling oneself.... :)

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #591 on: 12/22/2015 10:26 pm »
Chris,

Ever had any talk about creating a non-L2 subscription service? Something like my local NPR stations, where I can give a $10 donation (via text) or a sustaining $5/month membership. Idea is a bit more economical than an L2 membership while still supporting the site (call it an L1 membership?). I'm not involved in the industry, just very interested and appreciative of the NSF coverage. Don't think I could handle losing myself in the L2 library and archives (nor would my better half appreciate it), so supporting the site in a smaller way, without the L2 benefit, would still be acceptable.  And with 2 kids in college, disposable income is often nothing more than a pipe dream.
cheers

The payment page for L2 actually has a blank total box, where people enter the amount to denote their term (say if someone wanted a two month subscription, they'd enter $19.99), so random donations of any amount could be sent. Let's say a billionaire is a fan of the site, he could technically send $100K (HINT, HINT MR. GATES! ;D) However, I'm not a fan of that idea of donations for no L2, as I really do believe that people who support the site get something out of that support. That's why the support is structured into a subscription model.

While we're incredibly proud of L2, no one asks you a pop quiz at the end of the day to test you were in L2 that day, I should add! :)

I do really appreciate the kind words and the reason you're asking about the above, however!

Offline cosmicvoid

• Seattle 'ish
  • Liked: 45
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #592 on: 12/26/2015 05:03 am »
I am already a L2 lifetime member, but I enjoy the site a lot and, from time to time, I think about making additional contributions. I'm not aware that there is any method to do that, and I don't want to confuse my situation by 'joining L2' again to make a payment. So the "L1" idea may be useful.
Infiinity or bust.

Online FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 81676
  • Likes Given: 36941
« Reply #593 on: 12/26/2015 05:57 am »
I am already a L2 lifetime member, but I enjoy the site a lot and, from time to time, I think about making additional contributions.

Absolutely me too. Partly of course it's guilt about how good value the lifetime membership is!

But I imagine that if Chris sees new funds from a lifetime member he would understand what it's for?

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #594 on: 12/26/2015 01:40 pm »
I am already a L2 lifetime member, but I enjoy the site a lot and, from time to time, I think about making additional contributions. I'm not aware that there is any method to do that, and I don't want to confuse my situation by 'joining L2' again to make a payment. So the "L1" idea may be useful.

As FST notes, it wouldn't confuse anything, but you've already done more than enough. However, if anyone wanted to, I get the notification each time and would know what its intention was. Also, you could add "donation" to the "note" in the payment form, or e-mail/PM me if you wanted to be doubly sure.

[email protected] is our paypal address that we use for L2, ads, and even the payments out such as the servers. Keeps everything ringfenced and how L2 directly pays for this site's running.

Offline Dante80

• Athens : Greece
  • Liked: 835
  • Likes Given: 539
« Reply #595 on: 12/29/2015 08:10 am »
The last months I have been having problems viewing embedded youtube videos in posts.

The area where the video box should be showing is empty, but the space for it is taken.

Here is an example below of a post with a youtube video, as I see it in FF.

Adblock and Noscript are disabled on Firefox.

Offline mtakala24

« Reply #596 on: 12/29/2015 08:54 am »
The last months I have been having problems viewing embedded youtube videos in posts.

This is because you are using secured connection (https://) to browse the site and the youtube content is embedded with http:// (not secured).

There are browser settings affecting this; usually loading insecure content on to a secure site is not allowed with default settings, with a good reason.

I think the Forum admins tweaked the code some time ago, maybe something needs tinkering again.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #597 on: 12/29/2015 09:53 am »
Wouldn't want to tinker if it's just one person. Works fine for me and no one else has noted an issue with embedded Youtube. Hopefully the above post will solve Dante's problem.

Offline vapour_nudge

• Australia
  • Liked: 266
  • Likes Given: 338
« Reply #598 on: 12/29/2015 10:01 am »
We've had similar issues with some of our sites as we need to block SSL3 terminations for regulatory compliance and now only allow TLS. It is always good to check your browser settings for this especially if you have an older browser and especially with IE. If you're running IE and having problems with some secure sites not being displayed, try the following settings:

Offline mtakala24

« Reply #599 on: 12/29/2015 11:03 am »
Wouldn't want to tinker if it's just one person. Works fine for me and no one else has noted an issue with embedded Youtube. Hopefully the above post will solve Dante's problem.

I got the same result on Opera, Chrome and Firefox.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography