Author Topic: EXOS aerospace  (Read 120119 times)

Offline Solo

• Liked: 31
  • Likes Given: 3
EXOS aerospace
« on: 05/13/2014 03:28 am »
Phil Eaton of Armadillo Aerospace fame has announced a new aerospace company http://www.exosaero.com/
They have evidently purchased some or all of Armadillo Aerospace's equipment and facility and have an ambitious plan to build 4 suborbital rockets within the year, and begin development of a manned rocket during that time frame.  Development of an orbital rocket is also planned.  Keep your ears to the ground, this is going to be fun!

Offline jongoff

• Recovering Rocket Plumber/Space Entrepreneur
  • Lafayette/Broomfield, CO
  • Liked: 3987
  • Likes Given: 1684
Re: EXOS aerospace
« Reply #1 on: 05/13/2014 03:56 am »
Phil Eaton of Armadillo Aerospace fame has announced a new aerospace company http://www.exosaero.com/
They have evidently purchased some or all of Armadillo Aerospace's equipment and facility and have an ambitious plan to build 4 suborbital rockets within the year, and begin development of a manned rocket during that time frame.  Development of an orbital rocket is also planned.  Keep your ears to the ground, this is going to be fun!

I had heard that John had sold off the Armadillo Aerospace IP to one of the team members (maybe it was Phil). Here's to hoping he's both found the resources he needs, and can pull back together a team with the right skill balance. I wish them all the luck in the world. Hopefully I can make it down to Dallas one of these days to check out what they're up to.

~Jon

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25240
  • Likes Given: 12115
« Reply #2 on: 05/13/2014 05:55 am »
Woot.
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline Elmar Moelzer

• Liked: 849
  • Likes Given: 1062
« Reply #3 on: 05/13/2014 01:21 pm »
Cool!
Lets hope they can get things going again!

Offline BrightLight

• Northern New Mexico
  • Liked: 312
  • Likes Given: 924
« Reply #4 on: 05/13/2014 01:59 pm »
Sometimes good ideas are too good to die, lets hope this new company can make a go of it!

Offline A_M_Swallow

• Elite Veteran
  • South coast of England
  • Liked: 500
  • Likes Given: 223
« Reply #5 on: 05/13/2014 09:33 pm »
I hope they ask and answer the question "How do we make money out of this?" before starting a project.

Offline simonbp

• Science Guy
  • Liked: 314
  • Likes Given: 183
« Reply #6 on: 05/13/2014 10:45 pm »
I hope they ask and answer the question "How do we make money out of this?" before starting a project.

That may be the point of the manned launch. At the rate things are going, they might be able to catch up to VG...

Offline Silmfeanor

• Utrecht, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 403
  • Likes Given: 722
« Reply #7 on: 05/13/2014 11:11 pm »

That may be the point of the manned launch. At the rate things are going, they might be able to catch up to VG...
eh, I think that market is XCOR's.
I hope they build and fly some stuff - was saddened to see them going into hibernation, so I wish this new version (or atleast this new company with some of the same foundations) the best of luck. Hope NASA gets them do a few paid flights to test some ALHAT implementation or the like.

Offline ClaytonBirchenough

• ~ 1 AU
  • Liked: 34
  • Likes Given: 348
« Reply #8 on: 05/14/2014 12:15 am »
Oooohhhh... will be following this one!
Clayton Birchenough

Offline Dr. Strangelove

• Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #9 on: 05/15/2014 09:15 am »
Ribbon-cutting at Caddo Mills Airport for the launch of a new company called Exos Aerospace. Exos Aerospace is your expedited space delivery expert. By developing state-of-the-art reusable vehicles and efficient operations, and due to expeditious payload integration, Exos provides you with affordable, repeatable, and reliable commercial spaceflight with accelerated turnaround. If you need to fly “now,” rather than a year from now, and you need minutes of zero G time, and immediate access to your payload, Exos is your space flight solution.

Source:
https://www.klty.com/family_fun_calendar_details.php?id=48700

Offline jongoff

« Reply #10 on: 05/15/2014 09:28 pm »
They now have up some team bios. A few are AA alumni, but several are new faces.

~Jon

Offline Dr. Strangelove

• Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #11 on: 05/16/2014 04:10 am »
No LV unveil ? Not even a render ? Hope they have some tech to show or is this just a "soft" launch ?

Offline Barrie

• Planets are a waste of space
  • Liked: 242
  • Likes Given: 3815
« Reply #12 on: 05/16/2014 05:35 am »

This gives Branson more choice when he realizes he needs to go out and buy something different.   ;D

Offline R7

• Propulsophile
    • Don't worry.. we can still be fans of OSC and SNC
  • Liked: 992
  • Likes Given: 668
« Reply #13 on: 05/16/2014 09:19 am »
No LV unveil ? Not even a render ? Hope they have some tech to show or is this just a "soft" launch ?

AA IP gives them the STIG which gives the advertized few minutes of zero G for small payloads. I hope they pursue that realistic avenue with full force and put any manned ambitions on the back burner.
AD·ASTRA·ASTRORVM·GRATIA

Offline jongoff

« Reply #14 on: 05/17/2014 01:03 am »
Some excerpts from their bios page (http://exosaero.com/team-bio):

David Mitchell MBA: Co-founder and President

Looks like he's a serial entrepreneur with ties to the oil and gas industry in west Texas (among other things).

"In 2014 David became a co-founder, and President of Exos Aerospace, Inc. He and his family will provide the funding and business management of the company."

Russ Blink (An Armadillo Aerospace Alumnus): Co-founder and Lead Design Engineer

Phil Eaton (also an Armadillo Alumnus): Co-founder and Operations Manager

~Jon
« Last Edit: 05/17/2014 01:03 am by jongoff »

Offline Thanley

• Dallas
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #15 on: 05/20/2014 10:07 pm »
Virgin made several mistakes. Branson came in and changed the company along with purchase by Grumman. They capitalized on their notoriety by putting the spaceship one right into the Smithsonian. They should have flown it a few more times to iron out any rough edges. Once satisfied the should have built two or three and started flying customers with that bird. A pilot and two passengers per flight starting immediately is miles better than not flying (pilot and copilot with 5 passengers) years later with not date in sight. They also should not have let Rutan go. His vision and eagerness were worth far more than any young engineer.
I am very excited for Exos. I was a long time supporter of Armadillo. Perhaps they should begin their business plan using Stig B and its precision recovery system to provide the quick integration, launch, and retrieval business plan they have stated to begin cash flow. After that is in place, begin full research on the manned plans.  Good luck, we will be watching.

Offline baldusi

• Buenos Aires, Argentina
  • Liked: 2539
  • Likes Given: 8273
« Reply #16 on: 05/22/2014 02:11 pm »

Virgin made several mistakes. Branson came in and changed the company along with purchase by Grumman. They capitalized on their notoriety by putting the spaceship one right into the Smithsonian. They should have flown it a few more times to iron out any rough edges. Once satisfied the should have built two or three and started flying customers with that bird. A pilot and two passengers per flight starting immediately is miles better than not flying (pilot and copilot with 5 passengers) years later with not date in sight. They also should not have let Rutan go. His vision and eagerness were worth far more than any young engineer.
I am very excited for Exos. I was a long time supporter of Armadillo. Perhaps they should begin their business plan using Stig B and its precision recovery system to provide the quick integration, launch, and retrieval business plan they have stated to begin cash flow. After that is in place, begin full research on the manned plans.  Good luck, we will be watching.
Spaceship One donation allowed the tax break-off that closed the whole business. Besides, no way FAA would have allowed customer on it since it was designed and licensed as a on-off design. SS1 was designed to win the prize within the budget and schedule limit. The next step would have always required a new ship. If they couldn't accept the laws of crewed launchers that propulsion is always the critical item, that their issue.

Offline Garrett

• France
  • Liked: 128
  • Likes Given: 113
« Reply #17 on: 05/22/2014 04:12 pm »
There is another thread for VG/Scaled discussion folks.

From the Exos bio page: http://exosaero.com/team
David Mitchell, M.B.A.  Co-Founder and President
David has also been in the ministry for more than thirty-five years.

...Dr. W. A. Criswell, said of him, "Mitchell, you are the best writer I have ever read."

... though he felt the de-funding of NASA by President Obama was saddening, it presented an opportunity for private commercial space flight.
ahem. a bit too much personal info there for my liking. Though I suppose if he's financing the project and proud of his personal path, he can say what he likes. And it's probably best that he sets the record straight from the get-go, instead of such info trickling out as rumours (like, "such and such a person told me that Mitchell blames Obama for NASA de-funding" and so on).

Still, I prefer it when spaceflight bios stick to science, engineering and business achievements. Call me an idealist.

Edit: oh, and I forgot to say: Go Exos Aerospace!! :)
« Last Edit: 05/22/2014 04:14 pm by Garrett »
- "Nothing shocks me. I'm a scientist." - Indiana Jones

Offline Elmar Moelzer

• Liked: 849
  • Likes Given: 1062
« Reply #18 on: 05/22/2014 04:28 pm »

...Dr. W. A. Criswell, said of him, "Mitchell, you are the best writer I have ever read."

... though he felt the de-funding of NASA by President Obama was saddening, it presented an opportunity for private commercial space flight.
ahem. a bit too much personal info there for my liking. Though I suppose if he's financing the project and proud of his personal path, he can say what he likes. And it's probably best that he sets the record straight from the get-go, instead of such info trickling out as rumours (like, "such and such a person told me that Mitchell blames Obama for NASA de-funding" and so on).

Still, I prefer it when spaceflight bios stick to science, engineering and business achievements. Call me an idealist.

Especially since it is not factual. Obama never defunded NASA.
Still, Go Exos!

Offline jongoff

« Reply #19 on: 05/22/2014 08:42 pm »

Especially since it is not factual. Obama never defunded NASA.
Still, Go Exos!

I cringed a bit when I read that part (which is why I skipped it in my excerpt). I figure that as he engages with this industry, he'll saavy-up in a hurry.

~Jon

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography