Author Topic: LEGO Saturn V set  (Read 88796 times)

Online FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 81623
  • Likes Given: 36930
Re: LEGO Saturn V set
« Reply #40 on: 05/17/2017 06:59 pm »
We did it! @DaveMosher and I built the Saturn V Apollo 11 rocket in 3.5 hours haha watch the whole thing here: https://www.facebook.com/BusinessInsiderScience/videos/vb.893675634074447/1197685253673482/?type=2&theater

https://twitter.com/harringtonbecca/status/864905468170448896

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
« Reply #41 on: 05/17/2017 07:11 pm »
1969 pieces for 120 USD is a great price. Typical non licensed LEGO sets are running about 10 cents a piece these days (more for many licensed properties)

I'm just trying to decide how many copies to buy. At least 3 but... ?
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline Oersted

• Liked: 4098
  • Likes Given: 2773
« Reply #42 on: 05/17/2017 08:35 pm »
The fan creators even want to do the crawler and service tower...
http://whatsuptoday.free.fr/Saturn-V-Apollo-11/samples/magazine/index.html#page/18

Offline Oersted

« Reply #43 on: 05/17/2017 08:36 pm »
1969 pieces for 120 USD is a great price. Typical non licensed LEGO sets are running about 10 cents a piece these days (more for many licensed properties)

Just remember, Lar, that these models are meant to be built, and not meant to be investment objects. We should invest in young people getting an interest in space flight!

Offline roma847

• Be part of it
  • Germany
  • Liked: 2191
  • Likes Given: 55
« Reply #44 on: 05/20/2017 11:59 pm »
Hello LEGO Fans,

here is still a brief retrospect about the genesis of this great project of the two LEGO Freaks Felix Stiessen & Valérie Roche, (saabfan & whatsuptoday on the LEGO Ideas website), which Felix (Saabfan) described in this e-book.

BTW, it is interesting to find in his approach that he first designed the Lunar Module as small as possible with the Lego Digital Designer (LDD), and then has built the rocket simply around it. 

Although the two LEGO fans have apparently never met personally, it must have been an awesome long-distance cooperation, which has finally led this project to success.

And as one can see, much more details were planned, especially to the interior of the rocket (fuel tanks etc.), which unfortunately have not been realized by the LEGO designers Michael Psiaki & Carl Thomas Mirriam.

Source: shop.lego.com

In addition, the LUT & Mobile Launcher (2902 parts) and Crawler (1373 parts) had also been designed already, which could possibly still come, if the Saturn V might successfully conquer the market ...

Source: flickr.com (saabfan2013)

Although the kit is recommended for children from 14+, I think that my grandson Max (12) could also master this imposing model with the help of the great construction manual (182 pages),

Source: collectspace.com

otherwise the grandpa must help. 

« Last Edit: 05/21/2017 12:13 am by roma847 »
Regards from Germany

Manfred

Under construction:
1:144 Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6

Offline major_clanger

• Birmingham, UK
  • Liked: 7
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #45 on: 05/29/2017 05:42 pm »
Officially this kit isn't out until Thursday, but I heard on Friday that John Lewis (UK department store chain) had it available for online order, with collection in local store branches. Sure enough it showed up as available for £109.99 (the UK RRP) with next-day collection from the JL in town. Ordered it, picked it up Saturday afternoon, and spent about 6 hours that evening and yesterday building it.

I've chronicled my build here, with photos:

http://major-clanger.dreamwidth.org/693539.html

It's an amazing kit. Within the limits of what you can achieve with Lego, it's remarkably accurate. It's also very impressive - not only is it huge (about 1:110 scale) but it's very solid. I like the option of displaying it horizontally, either in one piece or split into stages.

It looks like John Lewis sold out of them in the UK in about two days. The online Lego store should have it later this week, but I'd move quickly if you want one - this is clearly a very popular kit!

Online FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 81623
  • Likes Given: 36930
« Reply #46 on: 05/29/2017 07:16 pm »
Wow, many thanks for sharing. It really is a quality model. I particularly loved the side-by-side photo with the 1:144 Airfix model, which I made a long time ago (over 30 years, yikes!).

Really hope Lego keep this model in production longer than some of the Ideas models. Surely they have their eye on the various 50th anniversaries?

Offline Oersted

« Reply #47 on: 05/31/2017 08:14 pm »
Bought in Antwerp for 129€, selling from today May 31 at the LEGO shop in Wijnegem Shopping.

Offline topsphere

• Liked: 69
  • Likes Given: 159
« Reply #48 on: 05/31/2017 09:27 pm »
Appears to have sold out on the Lego UK store? :o

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
« Reply #49 on: 05/31/2017 10:13 pm »

Just remember, Lar, that these models are meant to be built, and not meant to be investment objects. We should invest in young people getting an interest in space flight!

You do LEGO your way, I'll do it mine... People like me buying some to save and some to build drive demand so LEGO produces more initially. And I build lots of stuff. :)
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline Darren_Hensley

• System Software Engineer, MCTP, NGC, Ft Leavenworth Ks
  • Captian(ret) USS Pabilli, Timefleet, UFP-TIC
  • Alamogordo NM
    • H-10-K Enterprises
  • Liked: 12
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #50 on: 06/01/2017 01:35 am »
Since the crawler and LUT are not available yet, does anyone have the parts list and assembly instructions published?
BSNCM Devry, MAITM Webster, MSSS & MSAP SFA
H-10-K Enterprises Gateway Station

Offline Bubbinski

« Reply #51 on: 06/01/2017 04:10 am »
Will be going to the Lego store in Murray tomorrow (the big mall on State Street). Knock on wood hope its in stock!!
I'll even excitedly look forward to "flags and footprints" and suborbital missions. Just fly...somewhere.

Offline leetdan

• Space Coast
  • Liked: 323
  • Likes Given: 282
« Reply #52 on: 06/01/2017 04:16 am »
The US store shows it as in-stock, but their servers are getting creamed...

Offline Navier–Stokes

• Liked: 720
  • Likes Given: 6766
« Reply #53 on: 06/01/2017 04:20 am »
The US store shows it as in-stock, but their servers are getting creamed...
Indeed, I might have to give up and try again in the morning.

Edit: Got as far as the shipping address but couldn't get any further. Got to get some sleep now or I will be very unproductive at work tomorrow :(.
« Last Edit: 06/01/2017 04:26 am by Navier–Stokes »

Offline EgorBotts

• France
  • Liked: 70
  • Likes Given: 146
« Reply #54 on: 06/01/2017 06:45 am »
I just finished the payment process, Christmas in summer :)

Note that for France deliveries, a 30 days shipment delay is applied.

Offline FishInferno

• Liked: 165
  • Likes Given: 219
« Reply #55 on: 06/01/2017 08:36 am »
Darn, intended to order this right when I woke up; it's already out of stock :(  Think I'm gonna risk a trip to my local Lego store to see if they still have it after school.
Comparing SpaceX and SLS is like comparing paying people to plant fruit trees with merely digging holes and filling them.  - Robotbeat

Online thebartonfox

• UK
  • Liked: 6
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #56 on: 06/01/2017 09:17 am »
Just been to get mine from the local Lego store, there were people queueing waiting for it to open (myself included). It didn't look like they had to many in stock, so I'm glad I went early.

I finished my degree yesterday, so building it this afternoon will be a perfect way to celebrate! We're planning on recording a time-lapse of the build, I'll post it if it turns out any good.
Tom

Offline Oersted

« Reply #57 on: 06/01/2017 10:09 am »

You do LEGO your way, I'll do it mine... People like me buying some to save and some to build drive demand so LEGO produces more initially. And I build lots of stuff. :)

I must humbly admit that I actually bought an extra set myself, so it turns out that I am in no position to pontificate...

For those very desperate I can say that the Antwerp shop seemed to have lots of sets and there wasn't any queuing yesterday evening. You can call and ask about their stock but they don't put sets aside and they don't take reservations.

Offline collectSPACE

• The Source for Space History & Artifacts
  • Houston, TX
    • collectSPACE
  • Liked: 287
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #58 on: 06/01/2017 01:37 pm »
LEGO launches NASA Apollo Saturn V set (time lapse build video)
http://www.collectspace.com/news/news-060117a-lego-nasa-apollo-saturn-v.html

The countdown is finally over — LEGO fans can now build their own towering model of NASA's Apollo Saturn V rocket, thanks to the launch of a new toy set on Thursday (June 1).

...collectSPACE, in collaboration with Ars Technica and Space.com, put the LEGO NASA Saturn V model to test, assembling the set in front of a full-scale mockup of the moon rocket's upper stage at Space Center Houston, the official visitor center for NASA's Johnson Space Center in Texas.

« Last Edit: 06/01/2017 01:38 pm by collectSPACE »

Offline nukie19

• Liked: 990
  • Likes Given: 44
« Reply #59 on: 06/01/2017 02:02 pm »
Was able to complete a backorder payment online. No Lego stores locally so guess I'll be waiting for mine to arrive for a while...

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography