Author Topic: WorldView-4 - Atlas V 401 - November 11, 2016 (18:30 UTC)  (Read 165630 times)

Offline jacqmans

• Global Moderator
  • Houten, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 8562
  • Likes Given: 320
Re: WorldView-4 - Atlas V 401 - November 11, 2016 (18:30 UTC)
« Reply #340 on: 11/12/2016 09:05 am »
ULA photos:
Jacques :-)

Offline Semmel

• Germany
  • Liked: 2433
  • Likes Given: 11916
« Reply #341 on: 11/12/2016 10:04 am »
Congratulations everyone and thanks for the coverage! Love the information on screen and video feed from the rocket. Also the movement of the fairing shadow (or camera cover shadow or whatever) during pitch control was very nice to see.

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
  • Overlooking the path Mary's little Lamb took..
  • Liked: 1318
  • Likes Given: 306
« Reply #342 on: 11/12/2016 11:56 am »
Centaur blow down spotted in Sweden, apparently put on a very nice show.

http://www.spaceweather.com/archive.php?view=1&day=12&month=11&year=2016

ROCKET PHOTOBOMBS AURORA OUTBURST: Last night in Sweden, aurora tour guide Oliver Wright led a group of 8 under the starry skies of Abisko National Park hoping for a glimpse of the aurora borealis. "Suddenly," says Wright, "one of the guests shouted what's that? "I grabbed my binoculars and saw this amazing crescent-shaped thing moving slowly across the sky."  It was not the aurora borealis:

"I had never seen anything like it," says Wright, "so I called Chad Blakley of Lights over Lapland, and he confirmed that his live webcam saw it too." A four-frame animation shows it moving slowly across the sky for more than 20 minutes.

What was it?  Mystery solved: Earlier in the day, an Atlas V rocket blasted off from Vandenberg Air Force Base in California carrying the Worldview 4 satellite to orbit.  Later, the rocket's Centaur upper stage vented its excess fuel, creating the ghostly cloud over Sweden.
For Wright and his guests, the show was far from over. "A huge aurora started to develop around the Moon and became a magnificent corona above our heads," he says. This is a 1/2 second exposure:

"It was moving super fast--the fastest corona I've seen in 3 years of guiding," says Wright. "In the end we had some super happy guests and a super happy guide!"

Link full resolution image: http://spaceweathergallery.com/full_image.php?image_name=Oliver-Wright-D09A0263_1478906177.jpg
« Last Edit: 11/12/2016 11:58 am by kevin-rf »
If you're happy and you know it,
It's your med's!

Offline psloss

• Veteran armchair spectator
  • Liked: 4047
  • Likes Given: 2089
« Reply #343 on: 11/12/2016 03:53 pm »
I also stopped in at SpaceX to view the booster and learned the hard way, just how <multiple expletives> LA traffic is.
You didn't like that?  :)

(Me neither, but I need the reps to get through the learning curve on Vandenberg round-trips.  Three-day weekend getaway traffic on the 405, not so fun.)

First Atlas launch from SLC-3 for me, first visible Vandenberg launch (i.e., without fog)...the sound of ignition was the thing that jumped out at me.  When it reached us, I associated it with the sound of the Antares RD-181s watching OA-5 on TV.

Comparing to the couple of Atlas 5 401s I saw launch from SLC-41 at CCAFS, much louder from Ocean and Renwick.  Not sure all of that was the weather.  I don't remember hearing "that sound" of ignition from the Kennedy Press Site.

Offline Gliderflyer

I managed to get some pictures and video from Ocean and Renwick. I didn't focus too much on the video, so the rocket quickly goes out of frame. For the first couple pictures, I had the camera stopped way down in the hopes of getting shock diamonds in the notoriously bright kerosene plumes. It didn't work as well as I hoped, but they still look interesting.

I tried it at home

Offline WheelsStop

Here are some aerial views of the launch today.  These are approximately L-8 min, T=0, T+6s, T+8s.

Do you also have the High Res. versions ??  can you post them also (if you do not want to do it in the public, then perhaps in L2)
Thanks

Full res versions are available in L2: http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=41618.0

Online catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8822
  • Likes Given: 7825
« Reply #346 on: 11/14/2016 08:59 pm »
WorldView-4 Launch Highlights

LockheedMartinVideos

Published on Nov 14, 2016
The Lockheed Martin-built WorldView-4 satellite was launched for DigitalGlobe on Nov. 11, 2016. The satellite will take high resolution photos of our world to aid city planners, disaster relief workers and governments in making critical decisions. Video provided by Lockheed Martin and United Launch Alliance.

Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Online catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8822
  • Likes Given: 7825
« Reply #347 on: 11/17/2016 01:04 am »
Atlas V WorldView-4 Rocket Cam

United Launch Alliance

Published on Nov 16, 2016

Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline input~2

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1540
  • Likes Given: 567
« Reply #348 on: 12/02/2016 06:56 pm »
First public image: Yoyogi National Gymnasium in Shibuya, Tokyo

Seen from space by WV-2

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 13885
  • Likes Given: 5933
« Reply #350 on: 01/07/2019 12:20 pm »
Maxar Technologies Reports Failure of its WorldView-4 Imaging Satellite
January 07, 2019
WESTMINSTER, CO, Jan. 7, 2019 /PRNewswire/ - Maxar Technologies Inc. (NYSE:MAXR) (TSX:MAXR) ("Maxar" or the "Company"), a global technology innovator powering the new space economy, today reported that its WorldView-4 satellite experienced a failure in its control moment gyros ("CMGs"), preventing the satellite from collecting imagery due to the loss of an axis of stability.

Efforts are ongoing in conjunction with its suppliers in an attempt to restore satellite functionality, but thus far these efforts have been unsuccessful. At this time, Maxar believes that WorldView-4 will likely not be recoverable and will no longer produce usable imagery. Maxar operations has put the WorldView-4 satellite in a safe configuration and will continue to monitor the satellite's location and health. The satellite was built by Lockheed Martin and the CMGs were provided by Honeywell.

WorldView-4 was acquired by GeoEye prior to its merger with DigitalGlobe in 2013. It was launched in November 2016 and generated revenues of approximately $85 million in fiscal year 2018. The satellite had a net book value of approximately $155 million, including related assets, as of December 31, 2018. If the satellite is not recoverable, then the net book value will be written off in Q4-2018. Contingency planning and mitigation efforts are underway to assess the use of the Company's other satellites and outside resources to replace imagery collected by WorldView-4 and meet as much of the existing customer commitments and obligations as possible. The Company currently believes it will be able to offset $10 to 15 million of the annual revenue from WorldView-4 and will work to minimize the potential impact on Maxar's financial results in future years.

The WorldView-4 satellite is insured for $183 million, and Maxar intends to seek full recovery for the loss of WorldView-4 under its insurance policies. The Company will provide further updates on this matter as new information becomes available.

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 3974
  • Likes Given: 220
« Reply #351 on: 01/07/2019 07:53 pm »
Looks like it’s a total loss judging by this updated article.

https://spacenews.com/digitalglobe-loses-worldview-4-satellite-to-gyro-failure/

Offline Joseph Peterson

• Pittsburgh, PA
  • Liked: 578
  • Likes Given: 14356
« Reply #352 on: 01/07/2019 11:50 pm »
January 07, 2019
WESTMINSTER, CO, Jan. 7, 2019 /PRNewswire/ - Maxar Technologies Inc. (NYSE:MAXR) (TSX:MAXR) ("Maxar" or the "Company"), a global technology innovator powering the new space economy, today reported that its WorldView-4 satellite experienced a failure in its control moment gyros ("CMGs"), preventing the satellite from collecting imagery due to the loss of an axis of stability.

Efforts are ongoing in conjunction with its suppliers in an attempt to restore satellite functionality, but thus far these efforts have been unsuccessful. At this time, Maxar believes that WorldView-4 will likely not be recoverable and will no longer produce usable imagery. Maxar operations has put the WorldView-4 satellite in a safe configuration and will continue to monitor the satellite's location and health. The satellite was built by Lockheed Martin and the CMGs were provided by Honeywell.

WorldView-4 was acquired by GeoEye prior to its merger with DigitalGlobe in 2013. It was launched in November 2016 and generated revenues of approximately $85 million in fiscal year 2018. The satellite had a net book value of approximately $155 million, including related assets, as of December 31, 2018. If the satellite is not recoverable, then the net book value will be written off in Q4-2018. Contingency planning and mitigation efforts are underway to assess the use of the Company's other satellites and outside resources to replace imagery collected by WorldView-4 and meet as much of the existing customer commitments and obligations as possible. The Company currently believes it will be able to offset $10 to 15 million of the annual revenue from WorldView-4 and will work to minimize the potential impact on Maxar's financial results in future years.

The WorldView-4 satellite is insured for $183 million, and Maxar intends to seek full recovery for the loss of WorldView-4 under its insurance policies. The Company will provide further updates on this matter as new information becomes available.

http://investor.maxar.com/investor-news/press-release-details/2019/Maxar-Technologies-Reports-Failure-of-its-WorldView-4-Imaging-Satellite/default.aspx

Link to loads of helpful details about WorldView-4:

https://directory.eoportal.org/web/eoportal/satellite-missions/v-w-x-y-z/worldview-4

From the comments in the SpaceNews article:

Anonymouse • an hour ago
Does anyone know what type of bearings were used in the CMGs that failed?

https://spacenews.com/digitalglobe-loses-worldview-4-satellite-to-gyro-failure/

I'd love to know what bearing Lockmart might have used on a satellite launched in 2016.  The now-known welding issue with metal bearings is easy enough to engineer around.  Is there any chance this loss is that simple?

Offline jongoff

• Recovering Rocket Plumber/Space Entrepreneur
  • Lafayette/Broomfield, CO
  • Liked: 3987
  • Likes Given: 1684
« Reply #353 on: 01/08/2019 03:11 am »
Is it poor taste to point out that this is exactly the kind of equipment failure we're trying to make a thing of the past by our MagTag plug and play interfaces?

~Jon
« Last Edit: 01/08/2019 03:12 am by jongoff »

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
  • Arc to Arcturus, then Spike to Spica
  • Sometimes it feels like Trantor in the time of Hari Seldon
  • Liked: 7405
  • Likes Given: 72501
« Reply #354 on: 01/08/2019 07:05 pm »
Is it poor taste to point out that this is exactly the kind of equipment failure we're trying to make a thing of the past by our MagTag plug and play interfaces?

~Jon

No, this is a fair mention, IMHO.

It sparks questions: Could this s/c be restored with the use of an NGIS Mission Extension Vehicle (MEV)?
https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=45214.0
First launch is a paired payload mission on Proton with Eutelsat 5 West B: https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=41418.0

The market is stated to be in GEO, but could not MEV be deployed in SSO?

Does Lockheed-Martin have a similar product in development--or would they have to go outside the corporation to NGIS?  (WV-4 is built on a L-M s/c bus.)
« Last Edit: 01/08/2019 07:37 pm by zubenelgenubi »
Support your local planetarium! (COVID-panic and forward: Now more than ever.) My current avatar is saying "i wants to go uppies!" Yes, there are God-given rights. Do you wish to gainsay the Declaration of Independence?

Offline Joseph Peterson

• Pittsburgh, PA
  • Liked: 578
  • Likes Given: 14356
« Reply #355 on: 01/08/2019 11:19 pm »

Does Lockheed-Martin have a similar product in development--or would they have to go outside the corporation to NGIS?  (WV-4 is built on a L-M s/c bus.)

As far as I know Maxar Technologies(DigitalGlobe's parent company) purchasing a satellite servicing solution from Lockmart is also going outside the corporation.  Is there something special about the LM-900 bus that would prevent an MEV from attaching?

The in-house solution would come from the team that is building Restore-L's bus for NASA.   Restore-L is based on the SLL(Space Systems Loral, a Maxar subsidiary) 1300 bus.  Maxar has announced the intention to exit the large satellite manufacturing market, so we have reason to question whether the supply chain exists to build a servicing satellite in a timely manner.

I do agree that WorldView-4 appears to be an ideal candidate for either MEV or Restore-L.  Getting into the history books as the first commercial satellite serviced by a commercial satellite servicing platform is worth the effort in my opinion.  The revenue earned from years of additional images only helps the case.

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4673
  • Likes Given: 768
« Reply #356 on: 01/09/2019 02:30 am »

As far as I know Maxar Technologies(DigitalGlobe's parent company) purchasing a satellite servicing solution from Lockmart is also going outside the corporation.  Is there something special about the LM-900 bus that would prevent an MEV from attaching?

The in-house solution would come from the team that is building Restore-L's bus for NASA.   Restore-L is based on the SLL(Space Systems Loral, a Maxar subsidiary) 1300 bus.  Maxar has announced the intention to exit the large satellite manufacturing market, so we have reason to question whether the supply chain exists to build a servicing satellite in a timely manner.

I do agree that WorldView-4 appears to be an ideal candidate for either MEV or Restore-L.  Getting into the history books as the first commercial satellite serviced by a commercial satellite servicing platform is worth the effort in my opinion.  The revenue earned from years of additional images only helps the case.
Firstly WV-4 started out as GeoEye-2 (GE-2) and was designated WV-4 upon DG buying GE. Secondly Maxar Technology bought Digital Globe so the company and sat are completely unconnected.
« Last Edit: 01/09/2019 02:34 am by russianhalo117 »

Offline launchwatcher

• Liked: 726
  • Likes Given: 988
« Reply #357 on: 01/09/2019 04:12 pm »
How well does this work when (as in this case) the vehicle has lost some degree of attitude control?

(or is this a "only mostly dead" situation where the spacecraft can't do its job but can hold itself still enough to be grabbed by a servicing spacecraft?)

Offline primer_black

• Virginia
  • Liked: 176
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #358 on: 01/09/2019 05:43 pm »

MEV1 is launching to the GEO belt this year to begin comsat life extension, same place MEV2 will be utilized. It's a hard sell to commission the construction and launch of an MEV to SSO unless you're preparing to buy the entire service life for your satellite... plane changes use up an atrocious amount of dV.

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4673
  • Likes Given: 768
« Reply #359 on: 01/09/2019 06:52 pm »

MEV1 is launching to the GEO belt this year to begin comsat life extension, same place MEV2 will be utilized. It's a hard sell to commission the construction and launch of an MEV to SSO unless you're preparing to buy the entire service life for your satellite... plane changes use up an atrocious amount of dV.
Long lead items for manufacture of the first 10 MEV's were signed for. While GEO and HEO were primary target audience there exists in design versions for all orbit types. The PFM of each version would take longer than all other FM built thereafter.
« Last Edit: 01/09/2019 10:08 pm by russianhalo117 »

Tags: wv-4 

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography