Author Topic: The Saturn V thread  (Read 172173 times)

Offline 00rs250

• Where Space Is Golden!
  • Winter Park, FL
  • Liked: 34
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: The Saturn V thread
« Reply #280 on: 07/01/2012 01:04 pm »
Has anyone attempted to find out what happen to the QR’s that are missing?  I have not checked to see if the numbers on YouTube match the ones that are on the Spacecraft Films DVDs.
Half hour away from the best place to leave earth!

Offline zerm

• Hypergolic cartoonist
    • GWS Books dot com
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #281 on: 07/01/2012 02:53 pm »
These QR videos were, it appears, taken directly from the SCF DVD. This is not to say that they are bad, in fact you can learn a lot from sitting and watching them. The holes are likely due to the way they were researched. Each is the product of visits by the owner of SCF to the National Archives (et.al.) and actually "digging out" the individual films. It is a back-breaking process that takes A LOT of time and effort and often one finds that the next reel is simply not there. No reason, it is just not there. Happens in all archive hunts no matter what facility you go to. We're lucky he found what he found.
« Last Edit: 07/01/2012 02:54 pm by zerm »

Offline grakenverb

• New York
  • Liked: 31
  • Likes Given: 27
« Reply #282 on: 07/01/2012 08:43 pm »
It is amazing how quickly the Saturn V went from design to completion, considering how the entire infrastructure had to be built for it at the same time.   Interesting QR's, but if these were taken from the Spacecraft Films DVDs,  should we be watching them on youtube?  Copyright infringement?

Offline zerm

• Hypergolic cartoonist
    • GWS Books dot com
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #283 on: 07/01/2012 09:29 pm »
Depends on if Mark wants to press the issue. To over-simplify somewhat, he does not hold copyright to the material, just to the DVDs that he processed that contain the material. Now, if you were to start burning off copies of his disks and selling them, then he would be clearly infringed upon. However, someone who rips the material from his disk and posts it for free... well, you and I would find it as a violation, the court may not. By all rights he should contact YouTube and complain, but he's so overloaded with his own tar pit of projects, I doubt he'd take the time.

Offline Art LeBrun

• Photo freak
  • Orange, California
  • Liked: 35
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #284 on: 07/01/2012 10:29 pm »
One YouTuber had 4 episodes from Mark's LIFTOFF DVD (Atlas) that have disappeared this year. So something transpired............
1958 launch vehicle highlights: Vanguard TV-4 and Atlas 12B

Offline simonbp

• Science Guy
  • Liked: 314
  • Likes Given: 183
« Reply #285 on: 07/03/2012 06:53 pm »
The original QRs were NASA produced and therefore public domain and should be safe for youtube. Any original content that Spaceflight Films added, though, would subject to copyright.

Offline Ben the Space Brit

• A spaceflight fan
  • London, UK
  • Liked: 806
  • Likes Given: 900
« Reply #286 on: 10/25/2012 12:10 pm »
I'm sorry if I'm posting on the wrong thread here; please feel free to redirect me if I am.

I'm wondering if there were ever any plans to use Saturn V for anything other than human spaceflight applications of various kinds? This question arises from a documentary the I read last night of the limitations on energy that required the use of gravitational sling-shots to get the Voyager probes to the outer solar system in a reasonable time-frame.

Now, IIRC, the Saturn-V could insert about 70,000kg into LEO.  Even assuming that the J-2 was very inefficient, the third stage should have been able to push tens of tonnes through TMI or even TJI, which might have allowed for much more powerful probes (possibly even with a very small-scale NEP main thruster).  Was the Saturn ever considered as a launcher for flagship robotic missions like the Grand Tour and the Mars lander?

EDIT
I've just looked at the Titan-IIIE figures.  J-2 can't have been as efficient as the Centaur's RL-10 and they only managed to send about 1/5 of the IMLEO mass into a heliocentric orbit, so 5-10 tonnes tops for S-V through TMI.  Still would have given the engineers something extra to play with.
« Last Edit: 10/25/2012 12:18 pm by Ben the Space Brit »
"Oops! I left the silly thing in reverse!" - Duck Dodgers

~*~*~*~

The Space Shuttle Program - 1981-2011

The time for words has passed; The time has come to put up or shut up!
DON'T PROPAGANDISE, FLY!!!

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21450
  • Likes Given: 428
« Reply #287 on: 10/25/2012 12:17 pm »
I'm sorry if I'm posting on the wrong thread here; please feel free to redirect me if I am.

I'm wondering if there were ever any plans to use Saturn V for anything other than human spaceflight applications of various kinds? This question arises from a documentary the I read last night of the limitations on energy that required the use of gravitational sling-shots to get the Voyager probes to the outer solar system in a reasonable time-frame.

Now, IIRC, the Saturn-V could insert about 70,000kg into LEO.  Even assuming that the J-2 was very inefficient, the third stage should have been able to push tens of tonnes through TMI or even TJI, which might have allowed for much more powerful probes (possibly even with a very small-scale NEP main thruster).  Was the Saturn ever considered as a launcher for flagship robotic missions like the Grand Tour and the Mars lander?

See Voyager (the Mars version which existed before Viking)

Offline go4mars

• Earth
  • Liked: 158
  • Likes Given: 3463
« Reply #288 on: 10/25/2012 03:51 pm »
I'm wondering if there were ever any plans to use Saturn V for anything other than human spaceflight applications of various kinds?
http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2012/09/what-is-beyond-apollo-2/

I couldn't find it with a brief search, but there used to be a wikipedia page outlining follow-on projects for the Saturn V, many of which were unmanned.  Apollo was part of the title IIRC.  Big telescopes, etc.

Edit:  Here it is.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_Applications_Program
« Last Edit: 10/25/2012 03:54 pm by go4mars »
Elasmotherium; hurlyburly Doggerlandic Jentilak steeds insouciantly gallop in viridescent taiga, eluding deluginal Burckle's abyssal excavation.

Offline douglas100

• Liked: 227
  • Likes Given: 105
« Reply #289 on: 10/25/2012 04:30 pm »
Douglas Clark

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston