Author Topic: LIVE: Endeavour Farewell Tour - KSC to LAX  (Read 267453 times)

Offline Ford Mustang

• Live Coverage Editor
  • Global Moderator
  • Virginia
    • Astro95Media
  • Liked: 375
  • Likes Given: 36
Re: LIVE: Endeavour Farewell Tour - KSC to LAX
« Reply #1060 on: 11/25/2012 10:14 pm »
Not sure when they will make it official, but as it stands at the moment she's sitting at Ellington.  I don't think she'll be going anywhere any time soon, though.

Offline collectSPACE

• The Source for Space History & Artifacts
  • Houston, TX
    • collectSPACE
  • Liked: 287
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #1061 on: 11/25/2012 10:51 pm »
I've basically been sitting on this news for about a month, since before the Wings Over Houston air show, and will be running an adapted and expanded version of the Dryden article on Monday, but I'm not sure the source of the confusion here.

NASA: "...the modified Boeing 747 jetliner [flew] from Dryden to Ellington Airport in southeast Houston Oct. 24, where the big Boeing jet will be retired and eventually placed on public display."

The article's later reference to future use ("a decision on its future use or retirement is still pending") doesn't negate its ultimate retirement and eventual display in Houston as first stated. It just changes the time frame (which is unknown as it is).

I have heard some interesting tidbits about what Houston might do with NASA 905, but those are a tad too preliminary to share.

Offline Overflow

• Space Shuttle Aficonado
  • Tampa, Florida
  • Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #1062 on: 11/25/2012 10:52 pm »
Thanks, guys. I've been out of the loop for awhile. So all this is news to me.

Offline Ronsmytheiii

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1879
  • Likes Given: 1023
« Reply #1063 on: 11/26/2012 03:12 am »
I've basically been sitting on this news for about a month, since before the Wings Over Houston air show, and will be running an adapted and expanded version of the Dryden article on Monday, but I'm not sure the source of the confusion here.

NASA: "...the modified Boeing 747 jetliner [flew] from Dryden to Ellington Airport in southeast Houston Oct. 24, where the big Boeing jet will be retired and eventually placed on public display."

The article's later reference to future use ("a decision on its future use or retirement is still pending") doesn't negate its ultimate retirement and eventual display in Houston as first stated. It just changes the time frame (which is unknown as it is).

I have heard some interesting tidbits about what Houston might do with NASA 905, but those are a tad too preliminary to share.

Wonder if there are any private companies that might need a lift for new UAV prototypes like Phantom Ray.

Offline rdale

• Assistant to the Chief Meteorologist
  • Lansing MI
  • Liked: 1415
  • Likes Given: 171
« Reply #1064 on: 11/26/2012 03:37 pm »

Offline catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8785
  • Likes Given: 7815
« Reply #1065 on: 02/24/2013 05:23 am »
Endeavour's New Home - AIAA LA

Published on Feb 22, 2013
Join Jeff Rudolph as he recounts Endeavour's epic journey to its new home at the California Science Center and shares the institution's ambitious plans to create the Samuel Oschin Air and Space Center, projected to open in 2017.

From Endeavour's memorable ferry flight from Kennedy Space Center to LAX, to its historic 12-mile voyage through the streets of Inglewood and Los Angeles, this national treasure's homecoming received global attention and inspired millions of people across the United States and beyond. Endeavour has attracted record-breaking attendance since going on public display on October 30. Attention is now on the creation of the Samuel Oschin Air and Space Center, the largest component of Phase III of the California Science Center's 25-year Master Plan and the shuttle's permanent home. With immersive experiences that transport guests beyond Earth's limits, hands-on exhibits that encourage active learning, and a unique collection of aircraft and spacecraft, the Samuel Oschin Air and Space Center will be a launch pad for creativity and innovation

David Knight will cover the journey of Endeavour from the start in Florida to her new home in downtown LA, along with special detail about the move. He will describe the extraordinary effort and access required to pull it off, and how the filming of the process became a major activity in itself. This spectacular series of events was experienced by millions of people throughout California, and in particular, during her track across the cityscape. Working closely with Jeff Rudolph who spearheaded the enormous project, Knight and company were able to chronicle the most complex and witnessed movement of an object through an urban area, in history.

Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8785
  • Likes Given: 7815
« Reply #1066 on: 03/08/2013 06:15 pm »
NASA Dryden Highlights 2013: Writing the Stories of the Future Today

Published on Mar 8, 2013
http://www.nasa.gov/centers/dryden/ho...

Prefaced by NASA Dryden Flight Research Center director David McBride's comments at the California Science Center's Space Shuttle Endeavour exhibit grand opening, this fast-paced video highlights some of the unique aircraft, aeronautical research, airborne Earth and space science missions and educational outreach activities conducted by NASA Dryden in 2012 and planned for 2013.

(my note:  Video of Endeavour only during the first minute)

Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline collectSPACE

• The Source for Space History & Artifacts
  • Houston, TX
    • collectSPACE
  • Liked: 287
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #1067 on: 03/11/2013 12:50 pm »
Space shuttle Endeavour's museum move focus of new photo exhibit
http://www.collectspace.com/news/news-031113a.html

Space shuttle Endeavour's final journey to become a museum display last year is now the focus of a new photography exhibit at its Los Angeles home.

The California Science Center opens "Mission 26: The Big Endeavour" on Monday (March 11), an exhibition adding a new experience for guests visiting the retired NASA space shuttle. The more than 80 images in the gallery serve to highlight the scenes that were witnessed by spectators as Endeavour was flown over the Golden State and during its 12-mile, 68-hour journey through city streets.

The new exhibit, which is sponsored by the Los Angeles Times, includes many of the images that the newspaper's photographers took during the unprecedented delivery. A time lapse video, together with contributions from students in the area, complete the gallery, which invites guests to recall what it was like to be part of the historic event.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #1068 on: 08/07/2013 05:45 pm »
NASA Dryden Pilots, Photographers and Videographer from Space Shuttle Endeavour Flyover to Share their Experience with Science Camp Students at the California Science Center
PR Newswire

Aug. 7

What: As the California Science Center prepares to celebrate the one-year anniversary of the Space Shuttle Endeavour's historic flyover and transport from LAX to Exposition Park, NASA Dryden pilots who flew the 747 Shuttle Carrier Aircraft (SCA) and  F-18 chase aircraft, along with the photographers and videographer will share their stories and images with students from Hands-On Science Camp.

When: Friday, August 9, 2013 from 10:00 – 11:00 AM

The NASA Dryden team will also be available to sign autographs for the general public near the Mission 26: The Big Endeavour Photo Exhibit on Saturday, August 10, 2013 from 11 AM – 4:30 PM.

Where: Wallis Annenberg Building, California Science Center
700 Exposition Park Drive, Los Angeles
Enter visitor parking at Figueroa & 39th/Exposition Park Drive
Please show press credential or business card for complimentary parking

*Note: News vans - Please enter from Figueroa Street at State Drive to reach Annenberg Building (DC-8 is on the corner)

Who: William F. Brockett – Shuttle Aircraft Carrier (SCA) pilot
David Nils Larson – F-18 pilot
Troy A. Asher – F-18 pilot
Lori Losey – Videographer responsible for flyover video taken of Southern California
Carla Thomas – Photographer responsible for images taken of Golden Gate Bridge and other Northern California images
Jim Ross – Photographer responsible for Southern California flyover images
1st/2nd graders from Suited for Space class with their astronaut helmets
3rd/4th grade students from Survival Science class                             
5th/6th grade students from Matter in Motion class

Media Contact: Paula Wagner or Kristina Kurasz at (213) 744-7446
Paula's cell phone: (310) 770-5948

/PRNewswire-USNewswire -- Aug. 7, 2013/
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography