Author Topic: Viewing Delta IV launch  (Read 14770 times)

Offline Nickolai

• Liked: 22
  • Likes Given: 4
Viewing Delta IV launch
« on: 07/14/2011 12:08 am »
What would be the best spot to view the upcoming DIV launch from Cape Canaveral? Is Jetty Park any good? Probably worth mentioning that it's a night launch (3am).
« Last Edit: 07/14/2011 01:15 am by Chris Bergin »

Offline mike robel

• Extreme Veteran
  • Merritt Island, FL
  • Liked: 369
  • Likes Given: 260
Re: Viewing Delta IV launch
« Reply #1 on: 07/14/2011 01:03 am »
Either the SR 528 causeway between Merritt Island and Cocoa Beach (off of Bannana River drive) or get off 528 at Port Canavery/the sign for CCAFS and stop somewhere short of the gate.

Online TJL

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 94
  • Likes Given: 159
« Reply #2 on: 07/14/2011 01:05 am »
The best view would be from Rt 401 in Port Canaveral.

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #3 on: 07/14/2011 01:15 am »
Heh! We've got ourselves a Shuttle-style viewing thread!

We'll have to start thinking of these things when we revamp the forum post 135.
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline ChrisGebhardt

• Assistant Managing Editor
  • ad astra scientia
  • ~1 AU
  • Liked: 7877
  • Likes Given: 853
« Reply #4 on: 07/14/2011 01:27 am »
Wow. Thought "solaria" and I from site were going to be the only two NSFers there.

OK. Who wants to have an NSF viewing PARTY for Delta IV!

PM on here. I'll coordinate!

Cheers,
Chris G

Offline Albireo

• Reutlingen, Germany
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #5 on: 07/14/2011 01:30 am »
We will try to be there too :) We thought of going to Jetty Park...

Offline Rocket Guy

• Liked: 7
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #6 on: 07/14/2011 01:44 am »
Jetty Park offers no view of the launch pad, do not go there. You exit right before that, for route 401 (blue sign that says "Terminal A/North Terminals") and view from the bend in the road, in the grass. Perfect view and closest you will be able to get for this launch.

Offline solaria

« Reply #7 on: 07/14/2011 02:06 am »
ntrgc89 is already co-ordinated ;-) Along with me, Kevin from Australia and Amjad from London, UK. Also a family from Ireland. And Dan & Phyllis Black from Canada. Fraid they might not quite be NSF-ers yet but they will be before they're allowed to go home ;-)
I think Joe (sorry can't remember his NSF name) might also be along? I'll text him....and hopefully others will find this thread.

Was proposing food somewhere in Port Canaveral and finding somewhere that'll be open until late (our hotel bar goes to 2am if there is nowhere else). If you have venue suggestions that would be great, everyone keeps asking me :-)

As far as viewing goes, when I said I'd heard the end of the bridge from Merritt Island to Port Canaveral was the spot, one of the controllers working the launch (ex shuttle controller) recommended:
"I prefer the pier (Jetty Park) for this one because the trajectory takes it over the ocean and you can see it make the full arc/orbit and watch it cross over the horizon into the ocean. The view you mentioned is good for daytime launches."

Wow. Thought "solaria" and I from site were going to be the only two NSFers there.
Cheers,
Chris G

Offline kraisee

• Expert
  • Liked: 807
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #8 on: 07/14/2011 02:07 am »
Kars Park 1 at the end of Hall Road in Merritt Island might not be open to the public at this unearthly hour of the morning, but if it is it offers the very, very best off-base view of the Delta pad.

http://maps.google.com/?ll=28.435846,-80.660355&spn=0.004915,0.010568&t=h&z=17

Actually, given that it is a camp ground as well, it probably will be open...

PS - You can't see the Pad from Jetty Park -- the earth berm is in the way.   TJL is right in saying that SR-401 (the road into the south of the Cape, from the West end of the Port) is a better viewing site if you want to be down around the Port.

Ross.
« Last Edit: 07/14/2011 02:12 am by kraisee »
"The meek shall inherit the Earth -- the rest of us will go to the stars"
-Robert A. Heinlein

Offline MarekCyzio

« Reply #9 on: 07/14/2011 08:16 pm »
What would be the best spot to view the upcoming DIV launch from Cape Canaveral? Is Jetty Park any good? Probably worth mentioning that it's a night launch (3am).

The best publicly available spot would be the top of the Port Canaveral multilevel parking lot, but I am not sure if you can get there at 2 AM.

Offline Albireo

• Reutlingen, Germany
« Reply #10 on: 07/14/2011 10:28 pm »
Thanks very much for your advice for better viewing spots - always appreciated :) let's see to when the launch will be rescheduled...

Online PahTo

• Port Angeles
  • Liked: 271
  • Likes Given: 1194
« Reply #11 on: 07/14/2011 10:34 pm »

Nice call Chris.

We won't be down for this one, but you can bet we'll be down for a D-IVH at some point (hopefully CST100 or MPCV test flight or sooner) and hope to tag up.

Cheers,
Chris G

Offline solaria

« Reply #12 on: 07/16/2011 03:05 am »
Thanks Chris!
6 of us in Dennys in Titusville, with 7 more (inc ChrisG en route), in case anyone wants to join us. Look for the table of coffee drinkers...!

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #13 on: 07/16/2011 03:16 am »
Thanks Chris!
6 of us in Dennys in Titusville, with 7 more (inc ChrisG en route), in case anyone wants to join us. Look for the table of coffee drinkers...!

Nice! EELV viewing parties!
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline kraisee

• Expert
« Reply #14 on: 07/16/2011 03:17 am »
Thanks Chris!

Are you guys going to be staying there until shortly before the launch?

I might come and join y'all.

The Denny's just at I-95/SR-50/SR-405 right?

Ross.
« Last Edit: 07/16/2011 03:24 am by kraisee »
-Robert A. Heinlein

Offline HailColumbia

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 23
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #15 on: 07/16/2011 03:24 am »
never watched a Delta IV before, best to watch from titusville or port Canaveral?
-Steve

Offline kraisee

• Expert
« Reply #16 on: 07/16/2011 03:26 am »
I'd watch from Port Canaveral normally, but there's a gathering in Titusville this time, so that's where I'm going this time...

Ross.
-Robert A. Heinlein

Offline Journeyman

• Liked: 39
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #17 on: 07/16/2011 03:31 am »
I´m going to Port Canaveral with two friends. So who else are going there? Would be nice to meet some members there :)

Offline solaria

« Reply #18 on: 07/16/2011 03:34 am »
We are drinking coffee at Dennys in Titusville near I95, to help break peoples long journey from Orlando. we are planning to move to the last bridge on 528 before cocoa near Port Canaveral for the actual launch. Have 8 here now, and 5 en route.

Offline HailColumbia

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 23
« Reply #19 on: 07/16/2011 03:36 am »
well I think i'm gonna roll down there.... I haven't seen NASA turn night into day with fire and math in about 15 years....
-Steve

Offline kraisee

• Expert
« Reply #20 on: 07/16/2011 03:45 am »
Drat, looks like I'm not coming out to play tonight.

Enjoy the show guys!

Ross.
-Robert A. Heinlein

Offline lucspace

• Hilversum, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 179
« Reply #21 on: 07/16/2011 04:15 am »
I'm in Titusville with two friends. Heading out around 1.30 for the end of the bridge from Merritt Island to Port Canaveral.
Of course, we're cut off from internet there... guess there's no wireless web there...anyone got an idea how to keep up with the countdown?

Offline solaria

« Reply #22 on: 07/16/2011 04:25 am »
I'm in Titusville with two friends. Heading out around 1.30 for the end of the bridge from Merritt Island to Port Canaveral.
Of course, we're cut off from internet there... guess there's no wireless web there...anyone got an idea how to keep up with the countdown?

come join us in Dennys? we have laptop, wireless and several internet phones. 8 people here, 6 en route, meeting another at 528 viewing.

Offline lucspace

« Reply #23 on: 07/16/2011 04:32 am »
The others decided to get some sleep before heading out straight to our viewing spot, Im monitoring the countdown ;o)... Is there some radio station we could use for updates?

Offline Nickolai

« Reply #24 on: 07/16/2011 04:33 am »
Latest update from spaceflightnow.com :

0415 GMT (12:15 a.m. EDT)
The first stage liquid hydrogen tank has entered the topping phase after the post-fueling tests were accomplished. That puts all four cryogenic fuel tanks aboard the Delta 4 rocket in topping mode.

Head to the SFN site for latest details.

Offline bguillot

• Seattle WA USA
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #25 on: 07/16/2011 04:35 am »
Does anyone know if I would be able to see anything from Fort Lauderdale, or is it simply too far away?

Offline mahannd

• Cincinnati, OH
  • Liked: 5
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #26 on: 07/16/2011 04:44 am »

come join us in Dennys? we have laptop, wireless and several internet phones. 8 people here, 6 en route, meeting another at 528 viewing.

how long will you be there?

Offline solaria

« Reply #27 on: 07/16/2011 04:48 am »

prob moving on 1.15-1.30 ish. 5 people due to arrive about 1.15, will move once they've met us.

going to last bridge on 528 before cocoa for viewing.

Offline mahannd

• Cincinnati, OH
« Reply #28 on: 07/16/2011 04:56 am »

prob moving on 1.15-1.30 ish. 5 people due to arrive about 1.15, will move once they've met us.

hmm, im about 20 minutes away now so i guess ill just go to the bridge, and this is the bridge before the port which is actually A1A at this point correct? The bridge is not very wide, are you all planning on standing at the very top or towards the bottom?

Offline Nickolai

« Reply #29 on: 07/16/2011 05:04 am »

hmm, im about 20 minutes away now so i guess ill just go to the bridge, and this is the bridge before the port which is actually A1A at this point correct? The bridge is not very wide, are you all planning on standing at the very top or towards the bottom?

Yes it's the A1A bridge (I'm with solaria at Dennys) right before the port. I'm told you go past the cruise terminal exits, make a u-turn and then there's a space to pull off right before the bridge. The important part is you don't get off A1A. Hopefully you'll see a bunch of cars near the site in question!

Offline lucspace

« Reply #30 on: 07/16/2011 05:09 am »
Not sure that's the spot I will end up, but it would be nice to meet some other NSF-ers!

Offline mahannd

• Cincinnati, OH
« Reply #31 on: 07/16/2011 05:11 am »

Yes it's the A1A bridge (I'm with solaria at Dennys) right before the port. I'm told you go past the cruise terminal exits, make a u-turn and then there's a space to pull off right before the bridge. The important part is you don't get off A1A. Hopefully you'll see a bunch of cars near the site in question!
20 questions i know, sorry. Is this coming from the east or west at the bridge? i cant picture where you can make a u-turn here. I just know of the place you can pull off right before the bridge where you can fish, etc.

Offline Nickolai

« Reply #32 on: 07/16/2011 05:14 am »

20 questions i know, sorry. Is this coming from the east or west at the bridge? i cant picture where you can make a u-turn here. I just know of the place you can pull off right before the bridge where you can fish, etc.

This is coming from the 'mainland,' i.e. you will be crossing the bridge going east the first time. It might be easier to get off the highway and get back on instead of making a uey.

Offline kraisee

• Expert
-Robert A. Heinlein

Offline kraisee

• Expert
« Reply #34 on: 07/16/2011 08:21 am »
Well, I did finally get out to meet the gang at the 528 causeway around 1:30am and together we watched a great launch!

Special thanks to Jane for doing a lot of the organizing, but it was a pleasure to meet everyone there tonight.   It was a real multi-national turnout with Brits, Irish, Canadians Norwegians, Australians, New Zealanders and of course, a few Americans too!

Good to meet everyone and I hope those of you leaving tomorrow have a safe trip home, while the rest stick around to see Atlantis come home!

Ross.
-Robert A. Heinlein

Offline mahannd

• Cincinnati, OH
« Reply #35 on: 07/16/2011 11:34 am »
yes, thank you all for a great experience.

Offline stargazerken73

• NGC891
  • Fort Meade, Florida, USA
« Reply #36 on: 07/16/2011 04:54 pm »
Question for a future launch: are folks allowed to view Delta or Atlas launches from Playalinda Beach?

Offline Rocket Guy

• Liked: 7
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #37 on: 07/16/2011 05:32 pm »
Playalinda is only open from sunrise to sunset. Atlas launches, yes, it is the closest public area (though occasionally, it can be closed for launches, like the MSL launch most likely, and perhaps Juno too). For Delta IV, Playalinda has no view and is not closer than Port Canaveral.

Offline janmb

• Regular
« Reply #38 on: 07/16/2011 06:26 pm »
Well, I did finally get out to meet the gang at the 528 causeway around 1:30am and together we watched a great launch!

Special thanks to Jane for doing a lot of the organizing, but it was a pleasure to meet everyone there tonight.   It was a real multi-national turnout with Brits, Irish, Canadians Norwegians, Australians, New Zealanders and of course, a few Americans too!

Good to meet everyone and I hope those of you leaving tomorrow have a safe trip home, while the rest stick around to see Atlantis come home!

Ross.

Delighted to meet you guys - quite a show it was too (the rocket that is)
Jan M Berg
Software Engineer
Kongsberg Defense and Aerospace
Norway

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography