Author Topic: Apollo 11 coffee table  (Read 2323 times)

Offline Hockeymum

• Wigan UK
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 0
Apollo 11 coffee table
« on: 10/23/2017 12:13 pm »
Hello

I am not sure if this is the right place for my discussion - so please move if not.

I live in the UK and picked up a chrome and glass coffee table depicting the Apollo 11 mission and moon landing.

Its appears to be foil painting on glass.

However when I looked closely the 'foil' seemed very unusual.

So after a bit of research we came up with 2 possible answers.  It was either gold leaf or a very outside chance given the connection with the flight Kapton Myler??

I attached some close up photos of the table and would welcome your views.

Discussion open
« Last Edit: 10/24/2017 06:56 am by Hockeymum »

Offline eric z

• Liked: 475
  • Likes Given: 2127
Re: Apollo 11 coffee table
« Reply #1 on: 10/23/2017 12:42 pm »
 Welcome to the site... Whatever it is, it's completely cool!
« Last Edit: 10/23/2017 12:43 pm by eric z »

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #2 on: 10/23/2017 06:51 pm »
Welcome to the site.

That is very cool! Never seen that before.

Where did you get it from?
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Hockeymum

• Wigan UK
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: 10/24/2017 07:14 am »
Hi Everyone

I picked it up at a local vintage and retro market in Manchester, England, the dealer said it came from an estate auction.  The moon landing was a massive event in my young life (I was 9) so it had to come to my home.

It is very well made with a good quality chrome stand, the black line image if very precise but its the foil that intrigues me. 

I have looked at images on the internet of Kapton and the finish under the glass is remarkably similar.

I would love to have it sampled to see if it is but do not know were to start.  Du Pont only have an office in the UK no labs.

Would love to confirm its Kapton as clearly who ever had this made had good contacts either to NASA or one of its suppliers.

Your views are welcome good or bad :-)

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #4 on: 10/24/2017 01:54 pm »
Hi Everyone

I picked it up at a local vintage and retro market in Manchester, England, the dealer said it came from an estate auction.  The moon landing was a massive event in my young life (I was 9) so it had to come to my home.

It is very well made with a good quality chrome stand, the black line image if very precise but its the foil that intrigues me. 

I have looked at images on the internet of Kapton and the finish under the glass is remarkably similar.

I would love to have it sampled to see if it is but do not know were to start.  Du Pont only have an office in the UK no labs.

Would love to confirm its Kapton as clearly who ever had this made had good contacts either to NASA or one of its suppliers.

Your views are welcome good or bad :-)

Oooh, don't know about the Kapton - someone here will know. I'm from York, so I'm glad you saw it before me, otherwise that would be in my home right now! ;D
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline nrubin

• Liked: 10
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #5 on: 10/25/2017 04:30 am »

Cool looking table.  From the photos, it certainly looks as though the foil could be Kapton (or other brand of polyimide film).  But, I wouldn't necessarily take this as evidence of any special relationship between the maker of the table and NASA or its contractors.  Kapton (DuPont's brand name) and similar polyimide films have been widely used for decades in the aerospace and electronics industries.  You can buy rolls of the stuff inexpensively online.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography