Author Topic: Live NASA TV/Camera Audio/Video Links  (Read 311305 times)

Offline wb2uzr

• Melbourne, Florida
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Live NASA TV/Camera Audio/Video Links
« Reply #140 on: 04/14/2013 04:16 pm »
Is the audio only ISS feed still up and working? I hear audio from the ISS Ustream channel, but not from the "ISS Audio only" link from the NASA page.

Thanks!

Scott

Offline rdale

• Assistant to the Chief Meteorologist
  • Lansing MI
  • Liked: 1415
  • Likes Given: 171
« Reply #141 on: 04/14/2013 05:30 pm »
No, it's been down since last year. NASA keeps saying it will be back soon, but I've literally heard that since the fall.

Offline wb2uzr

• Melbourne, Florida
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #142 on: 04/14/2013 05:48 pm »
Thanks! I guess there are no other audio only feeds?

Online catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8802
  • Likes Given: 7820
« Reply #143 on: 05/07/2013 08:08 pm »
Starting today NASA is providing live streamed TV coverage now on You Tube on these two links:

NASA TV's PUBLIC, EDUCATION CHANNELS NOW IN HD
NASA Television's Public (101) and Media (103) channels are now transmitting in high definition.

NASA PUBLIC: 

NASA EDUCATION:

Update May 8th: The links are no longer reliable, only last less than one minute before ending.
« Last Edit: 05/08/2013 08:38 pm by catdlr »
Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline Frandolf

• Germany
  • Liked: 14
  • Likes Given: 110
« Reply #144 on: 05/08/2013 06:38 pm »
"Dieses Video ist nicht verfügbar" - This video is not available.

So, it's at this time US only.

Online catdlr

« Reply #145 on: 05/08/2013 07:04 pm »
Your link to the NASA Media channel shows up as NASA Education channel?

Your right Rdale, that was what NASA published originally.  I'll correct the post above.
Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline rdale

• Lansing MI
« Reply #146 on: 05/08/2013 08:26 pm »
Looks like they died... Both play for about a minute then stop. When I restart, they stop at the same spot. And Education is not offered in HD.

Online catdlr

« Reply #147 on: 05/08/2013 08:36 pm »
Yep, not very reliable.  I would abandon this means and go back to the older (more reliable) methods.  I've updated the original post.
« Last Edit: 05/08/2013 08:39 pm by catdlr »

Offline Michael Z Freeman

• Regular
  • UK
  • Liked: 11
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #148 on: 12/07/2013 11:24 am »
What's the news here ? Everything seems to be through UStream now. Seems like a good service but on my medium spec computer using Chrome my CPU is at 100% when streaming making it difficult to do other tasks. The available streams through an IP seem to be at low resolution. Ironically I never had the bandwidth for theYahoo 1200 kbps stream until I recently updated to BT broadband at 19 meg. Now the yahoo stream seems to be no longer available. I think UStream is supposed to be HD but it's player is very CPU intensive, that's why I always stream using a separate player application.

EDIT: Found the problem. Flash player does not hardware accelerate in Linux using Chrome. Started playing NASA TV on my Windows machine.

On another issue, it still astounds me, seeing as my country the UK is funding the ESA that ...

1. There is no NASA TV or ESA TV on UK Freeview.

2. ESA do not rebroadcast NASA TV or even any of their own programming as a stream.

For agencies that bang on about public outreach this just seems extraordinary. I can imagine so many examples that people unaware of what is going on up there might encounter NASA/ESA TV. I know there are some sat channels but I'm not sure how accessible they are even with Sky or something like that (which I can't afford). This makes the lack of streaming options doubly frustrating. I should launch my own sat, or fund my own Freeview channel :D
« Last Edit: 12/07/2013 07:02 pm by DJ Barney »
I love NSF!

Offline Mapperuo

• Assistant Webmaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Yorkshire
  • Liked: 533
  • Likes Given: 68
« Reply #149 on: 12/08/2013 10:39 am »

1. There is no NASA TV or ESA TV on UK Freeview.

2. ESA do not rebroadcast NASA TV or even any of their own programming as a stream.

For agencies that bang on about public outreach this just seems extraordinary. I can imagine so many examples that people unaware of what is going on up there might encounter NASA/ESA TV. I know there are some sat channels but I'm not sure how accessible they are even with Sky or something like that (which I can't afford). This makes the lack of streaming options doubly frustrating. I should launch my own sat, or fund my own Freeview channel :D

ESA stream can be found here: http://spaceinvideos.esa.int/esalive . It's also on a satellite on 9 east usually.

NASA TV is sometimes rebroadcast on Reuters which is on 22 west when there is a launch. But if your expecting it on UK Freeview or Sky UK it just is never going to happen. Not enough demand, and especially with Freeview, not the capacity to carry such channel that would get very little viewers.
- Aaron

• Regular
  • UK
« Reply #150 on: 12/08/2013 01:38 pm »
Thanks for the info there  ;D

Is there evidence for lack of interest ? I wonder if any studies have been done on this to investigate the possible level of interest and viewers ? I'll do some digging around and possibly start another thread if there isn't already one as this is OT. If it were broadcast it would need funding from the UK Space Agency, similar to the way BBC Parliament is funded by the BBC via the license fee, although it the case of the UK Space it would be the British tax payer.

EDIT: We're caught in a paradox. There's no demand for NASA/ESA TV on Freeview because in the UK very few actually know that ESA even exists according to this survey ...

A pilot survey of attitudes to space sciences and exploration among British school children

"Of those surveyed, 33% were interested in space to 'discover a new planet', and 24% to find life on another planet. When asked to list space exploration organisations 77% listed NASA. Six of those surveyed listed ESA (<0.5%). The data bring starkly to light, despite the Huygens landing on Titan and Mars Express, the lack of awareness of the existence of ESA among a new generation of European school children."

I'll make further posts about this on this thread.
« Last Edit: 12/12/2013 02:02 pm by DJ Barney »
I love NSF!

• Regular
  • UK
« Reply #151 on: 12/15/2013 05:47 pm »
Back on topic. Does anyone get the HD UStream on both the Ustream page and NASA page glitching every few minutes ? It actually skips back and plays the last couple of seconds audio and then continues.
I love NSF!

Offline rdale

• Lansing MI
« Reply #152 on: 12/15/2013 09:16 pm »
Happening on the WMA stream as well, the ISS audio archives are full of jumps.

• Regular
  • UK
« Reply #153 on: 12/17/2013 12:05 pm »
I put in a UStream support request. What's the correct NASA address for feedback on their NASA TV stream ?
I love NSF!

Offline rdale

• Lansing MI
« Reply #154 on: 12/17/2013 02:09 pm »
I haven't had any problems since then - are you still glitching? I don't know if they have a specific address.

• Regular
  • UK
« Reply #155 on: 12/17/2013 04:59 pm »
Yes. Still getting the skip back every few minutes. The last few seconds of audio repeats.

EDIT: So is everyone else getting HD streaming that does NOT drop every so often to a black screen ? If its just me then I need to look at possible system problem or potential problems with my network and/or ISP.
« Last Edit: 12/19/2013 12:38 pm by DJ Barney »
I love NSF!

Offline Jester

• Administrator
  • Earth
  • Liked: 6533
  • Likes Given: 157
« Reply #156 on: 01/11/2014 01:45 pm »
Anybody know why VAB/etc. webcams at KSC have been dark since several weeks ?

http://science.ksc.nasa.gov/shuttle/countdown/video/

Offline Jester

• Administrator
  • Earth
  • Liked: 6533
  • Likes Given: 157
« Reply #157 on: 01/14/2014 04:40 pm »
Anybody know why VAB/etc. webcams at KSC have been dark since several weeks ?

http://science.ksc.nasa.gov/shuttle/countdown/video/

EDIT:

got an answer, feeds will come back, KSC is doing upgrades to their video distro systems.

Offline Hog

• Woodstock
  • Liked: 1700
  • Likes Given: 6866
« Reply #158 on: 03/10/2014 03:33 pm »
I'm trying to figure out the time frame when my interest in spaceflight originated.  As an avid C-Band satellite TV viewer of the late 70's early 80's, NASA Select TV came on the air sometime during this period in time.
I do remember the early STS- single digit flight designations, then the alphanumeric mission coding change due to the upcoming SLC-6 polar orbit launches via Discovery.

I have watched via an analog C-band reciever and dish mover. The NASA TV channels have always been over on the Satcom satellites, namely Satcom F1 originally then Satcome F1-R, and as of Jan 28, 2014 the following C-Band and newer Ku-Band ifferings are available.

NASA TV is available in continental North America, Alaska and Hawaii on AMC-18C. A Digital Video Broadcast (DVB) compliant Integrated Receiver Decoder (IRD) is needed for reception. Below are parameters for each channel:

Uplink provider = AMC 18 C
Transponder = 3C
105 degrees W
C-Band
Downlink Frequency: 3760 MHz
Downlink Polarity: Vertical
Transmission Format = DVB-S, 4:2:0
FEC = ¾
Data Rate = 38.80 Mbps
Symbol Rate = 28.0681
Modulation: QPSK/DVB-S

Public Channel" Programming:
HD Program = 101 (HQ1)
Compression Format = MPEG-2
Video PID = 0x111 hex / 273 decimal
AC-3 PID = 0x115 hex / 277 decimal
MPEG I Layer II Audio PID = 0x114 hex / 276decimal

Education Channel" Programming:
SD Program = 102 (HQ2)
Compression Format = MPEG-2
Video PID = 0x121 hex / 289 decimal
AC-3 Audio PID = 0x124 hex /292 decimal
MPEG I Layer II Audio PID = 0x125 /293 decimal

Media Channel" Programming:
HD Program = 103 (HQ3)
Compression Format = MPEG-4
Video PID = 0x1031 hex / 4145 decimal
AC-3 Audio PID = 0x1035 hex /4149 decimal
MPEG I Layer II Audio PID = 0x1034 hex /4148 decimal

NASA LIMS (Live Satellite Interviews) Now KU-Band*

NASA’s Live Interactive Media Service (LIMS) has moved to KU-Band service. KU-Band parameters are provided prior to each event. NASA will schedule each LIMS event on a satellite in proximity of AMC18 whenever possible.

Uplink provider = TBD
Transponder = TBD
KU-Band

Bandwidth = 18 MHz
Transmission Format = DVB-S, 4:2:0
Data Rate = 12 Mbps
Modulation: QPSK/DVB-S
MPEG-4 encoding (MPEG-2 available upon request)
HD 16x9
*C-Band LIMS service is not available.

Source NASA website: http://www.nasa.gov/content/nasa-tv-on-satellite-amc-18c/

I am about to get the old 10 ft mesh BUD(Big Ugly Dish) back into service with a newer digital receiver.

Does anyone know exactly when NASA Select began transmitting via C-Band?  And would anyone happen to have a screenshot of the test colourbars with the time, Satellite and Transponder info along with NASA Select TV text on the screen?  That would be a gem for my collection.

I'm getting ready for the upcomming SLS launches to accompany the NSF threads titled SLS-5 Update thread-Day 10.

Thank you in advance!
Paul

Offline Waddy John

« Reply #159 on: 04/26/2014 11:39 pm »
Would any one know what happened to the Live feed of the viewing of the Earth from the ISS? There seem to be a great number of wondering why the view of the Earth has been replaced with the map in Mission Control showing the position of the ISS. This is just wrong. Allow so many of to see life on board the ISS and be able to listen in to Mission Control and the crews aboard the ISS. If any know please let me know. wc
« Last Edit: 04/27/2014 10:55 am by Chris Bergin »

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography