Author Topic: SpaceX Falcon 9 : Merah Putih (Telkom 4) : August 7, 2018 - DISCUSSION  (Read 76453 times)

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 13885
  • Likes Given: 5933
Discussion Thread for launch of Merah Putih (Telkom 4)

NSF Threads for Telkom 4 : Discussion / Updates

NSF Articles for Telkom 4 :

Successful launch August 7, 2018 at 01:18 EDT (05:18 UTC) on Falcon 9 booster 1046.2 (previously used for Bangabandhu-1 mission) to GTO.  ASDS landing was successful.  Satellite mass is 5800kg.

I guess I should start a mission thread for this one soon (although it's still 20+ spots down the manifest):

Tweet from SSL:
Thumbs up! TELKOM-4 is progressing through SSL’s Palo Alto factory on schedule.

Telkom 4 has a C-Band payload with 60 transponders, 36 for the Southeast Asia market and 24 for the Indian market.  It is using the SSL 1300 bus and will be positioned at 108 degrees.  Telkom 4 is a replacement for Telkom 1, which failed on August 25, 2017 before its planned retirement in 2022.

SSL SELECTED AS WINNER OF PROCUREMENT FOR COMMUNICATIONS SATELLITE TO TELKOM, INDONESIA’S LARGEST TELECOMMUNICATIONS AND NETWORK PROVIDER

PALO ALTO, Calif. – December 30, 2015 — Space Systems Loral (SSL), a leading provider of commercial satellites, today announced that it was selected to provide a communications satellite to PT Telkom Indonesia (Persero) Tbk, the largest telecommunication and network provider in Indonesia. SSL was informed last week that it is the winner of the procurement of the TELKOM-4 satellite, which will be used for fixed satellite services in Indonesia, India, and Southeast Asia.

“Satellite services are particularly important in regions such as Indonesia where the population is spread over thousands of islands,” said John Celli, president of SSL. “For SSL, this is the third satellite for Indonesia that we will add to our backlog and we are honored to play such an important role in expanding the telecommunications infrastructure for the nation and the region.”

"Because our country consists of thousands of islands, Indonesia needs satellite technology,” said Alex J Sinaga, president director and chief operating officer of Telkom. “Satellite complements our other technologies, such as submarine cable, as the backbone that connects the islands of Indonesia.”

The satellite will be based on the highly reliable SSL 1300 platform, which provides the flexibility to support a broad range of applications and technology advances. It is designed to provide service for 15 years or more.

[detikInet Feb 16, 2017] SpaceX Launches Still Trust Telkom 4

Telkom still high reliance on Elon Musk's SpaceX owned satellite launch Telkom 4, despite a little incident on a satellite explosion Facebook.
As planned, Telkom 4 later when it was launched with estimates in June 2018, will occupy the orbital slot 108 degrees longitude (BT). This satellite will replace one whose term Telkom remained active until 2022.

[detikInet Sep 11, 2017] Buyarnya Telkom 4 Satellite Plan on August 17, 2018

Telkom 4 satellite is planned to be launched on special day. Precisely on August 17, 2018. However, due to Telkom 1 satellite anomaly, the launch schedule may change.
"Specifically for Telkom 4, we have coordinated with the satellite manufacturer to be able to advance 60 days, but the manufacturing itself, the launch itself, we coordinate with the launcher, whether the queue can be advanced, if it can succeed, then Telkom 4 can go early," continued Alex .

Telkom 4 on Gunter's Space Page

Other SpaceX resources on NASASpaceflight:
   SpaceX News Articles (Recent)
   SpaceX News Articles from 2006 (Including numerous exclusive Elon interviews)
   SpaceX Dragon Articles
   SpaceX Missions Section (with Launch Manifest and info on past and future missions)

L2 SpaceX Section
« Last Edit: 08/11/2018 07:26 am by input~2 »

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
20 down isn't as (conceptually) far away as it was in 2013. or even 2016...
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Online Johnnyhinbos

• Boston, MA
  • Liked: 8095
  • Likes Given: 943
I guess I should start a mission thread for this one soon (although it's still 20+ spots down the manifest):

Tweet from SSL:
Thumbs up! TELKOM-4 is progressing through SSL’s Palo Alto factory on schedule.

Whew - I had to blow that photo up. For a minute there I thought some dude was hanging on to the upper right-hand edge of that bird with his butt protruding out...
John Hanzl. Author, action / adventure www.johnhanzl.com

Offline shooter6947

• Idaho
  • Liked: 115
  • Likes Given: 891

Whew - I had to blow that photo up. For a minute there I thought some dude was hanging on to the upper right-hand edge of that bird with his butt protruding out...
And now that you've made me see that, I can no longer un-see it . . .

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
I split some posts from the Manifest thread to start this mission thread.

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
An article mentions them trying to move the launch up to May.  Given the state of the SpaceX manifest that seems unlikely unless they're jumping in front of some other payloads, but maybe it will happen.

[CNN Indonesia] Telkom 4 Satellite Targeted to Launch in May 2018

Offline envy887

• Liked: 6801
  • Likes Given: 2965
An article mentions them trying to move the launch up to May.  Given the state of the SpaceX manifest that seems unlikely unless they're jumping in front of some other payloads, but maybe it will happen.

Hard to tell context from Google Translate, but maybe they are trying to get on a used booster to launch sooner...

It is possible thanks to the Falcon 9 rocket that can fly repeatedly.

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US

Hard to tell context from Google Translate, but maybe they are trying to get on a used booster to launch sooner...

It is possible thanks to the Falcon 9 rocket that can fly repeatedly.

They've had statements like that in many stories when talking about SpaceX, it doesn't necessarily mean anything for this flight.  (They could very well be reusing a booster to accelerate the schedule, I just wouldn't assume it from that line in the article.)

Offline oldAtlas_Eguy

• Florida
  • Liked: 5005
  • Likes Given: 1444
Hmmm...

If the sat shows up at the cape by mid March then a launch in May is highly likely.

Think of SpaceX launch processing and launch at the Cape/KSC as a FIFO buffer. Launch dates are assigned once the sat reaches the local area for the beginning of launch processing. If it reaches the area before others that had prospective dates before it, it would launch before them. In the words of the AF 45th SW commander that SpaceX is all about go when ready. If Telkom 4 is the next sat ready then it would be the next sat launched.

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
Hmmm...

If the sat shows up at the cape by mid March then a launch in May is highly likely.

Think of SpaceX launch processing and launch at the Cape/KSC as a FIFO buffer. Launch dates are assigned once the sat reaches the local area for the beginning of launch processing. If it reaches the area before others that had prospective dates before it, it would launch before them. In the words of the AF 45th SW commander that SpaceX is all about go when ready. If Telkom 4 is the next sat ready then it would be the next sat launched.

No.  That is not true.  Until SpaceX catches up on their manifest (which will be another year) it can't become true.

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
[Antara News] Telkom 4 Satellite is launched May-August 2018
Telkom 4 satellite will be launched mid-May to August 2018 with SpaceX's Falcon 9 rocket SpaceX space company from the United States.

Director of Network and IT Solution of PT Telkom Indonesia Tbk Zulhefi Abidin said in Jakarta on Thursday (18/1), Telkom 4 Satellite is targeted to be assembled and tested in March 2018.

"The launch has slots, schedule, schedule between May and August 2018, that's our slot, "he said.

This is the Google Translate version, so I wouldn't read too much into any particular word  ;)
« Last Edit: 01/18/2018 08:16 pm by gongora »

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
Hmmm...

No.  That is not true.  Until SpaceX catches up on their manifest (which will be another year) it can't become true.

If a satellite isn't ready, it can't be launched... so there is SOME truth to this, any satellites that are ready to be launched would presumably go ahead of satellites that aren't even at the cape yet....
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline sewebster

• British Columbia
  • Liked: 190
  • Likes Given: 155
Hmmm...

If a satellite isn't ready, it can't be launched... so there is SOME truth to this, any satellites that are ready to be launched would presumably go ahead of satellites that aren't even at the cape yet....

But wouldn't they purposefully not ship to the cape too far in advance?

Offline Ragmar

• Space is the Place
  • Liked: 18
  • Likes Given: 87
Have we heard anything else from Telkom on if they've agreed to launch on a reused booster?

Have we heard anything else from Telkom on if they've agreed to launch on a reused booster?
Yes and they announced that way back in May 2017.
''President Director of Telkom, Alex J. Sinaga mentioned to CNN, “Investment in Telkom-4 will be cheaper as we use a reusable orbital rocket from SpaceX''
https://seasia.co/2017/05/01/indonesia-to-use-spacex-to-launch-next-satellite

Offline PDZiemer

''President Director of Telkom, Alex J. Sinaga mentioned to CNN, “Investment in Telkom-4 will be cheaper as we use a reusable orbital rocket from SpaceX''

That sounds to me like they are talking about the economics of Falcon 9 being reusable, not that they have agreed to fly on a reused core.  I don't think that this means that they won't, but this statement does not indicate to me that they will necessarily be on a flight proven booster.

Offline AncientU

• Liked: 4164
  • Likes Given: 6078

That sounds to me like they are talking about the economics of Falcon 9 being reusable, not that they have agreed to fly on a reused core.  I don't think that this means that they won't, but this statement does not indicate to me that they will necessarily be on a flight proven booster.

Text seems to me like they are planning to use the reflown booster and discussing the savings realized.  May just be a translation/parsing issue of the word 'as.'  'If' would have been they are still deciding; 'since' would have been definitive in American English.  I think the message was the latter.
« Last Edit: 01/29/2018 08:23 pm by AncientU »
"If we shared everything [we are working on] people would think we are insane!"
-- SpaceX friend of mlindner

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
A bunch of Indonesian articles today give the launch window as mid-July to August, which fits nicely with the late-July target reported by Ben Cooper.

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
A couple of articles today mention mid-August as the current date, citing comments from Finance Director of Telkom Indonesia Harry M. Zen.

http://industri.bisnis.com/read/20180428/101/789598/telkom-luncurkan-satelit-telkom-4-pada-agustus-2018
http://www.en.netralnews.com/news/business/read/20647/pt.telkom
..tlkm..prepares.capex.of.idr30.tln.to.strengthen.broadband.business
« Last Edit: 07/31/2018 06:08 pm by Chris Bergin »

Offline AlphaAdhito

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
So, thats gonna be Block 5?

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island