Author Topic: "Space dreams"- how many of you have had them?  (Read 14987 times)

Offline spaceflight101

• Veteran
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: "Space dreams"- how many of you have had them?
« Reply #20 on: 01/23/2007 12:10 am »
Well, Justin Hayward wrote both songs, believe it or not. He was just exercising that subtle British way of telling the story. Perhaps he understood that America would abandon the Moon, as had the Russians.
Maybe I'll see if he'll stop by the board, and comment on his songs???
I dropped him a line at his website, and sent him a link to this thread.

Offline SpaceCat

• Florida
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #21 on: 01/23/2007 01:17 am »
spaceflight101 - 22/1/2007  8:10 PM
Maybe I'll see if he'll stop by the board, and comment on his songs???

Now, that would be an honor!
I think our Brit hosts here would be quick to point out that Justin Hayward- and no doubt other members of the band- have long been fans and supporters of spaceflight.  I know he also did the theme for at least one Brit SF space TV series, maybe more.
For we old-timers who were alive in 1969- it's always been a given that the entire album, "To Our Children's Children's Children" was a salute to the Apollo Program and the optimism we felt for space exploration at the time, not just the opening cut.

Back to dreams.....
I remember an influential dream as a kid of visting another planet populated by fine folks who looked much like us, except their skin was VERY brightly pigmented- some were neon blue or green, some fluorescent red or orange.... and this was long before Peter Max posters were popular. :)

I've had a few horrific nightmares through the years of attending a Shuttle launch where only ONE SRB lit.... not pretty.

-And sometimes I vividly dream of being a youngster back working at the Cape in the early '70's when I was always learning something new, my entire life still ahead of me, going to work every day with a sense of purpose, optimism and pride there on the 'New Frontier.'  It's kind of disappointing to wake up......

Offline Michael Z Freeman

• Regular
  • UK
  • Liked: 11
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #22 on: 01/25/2007 10:23 pm »
Hello...My first post here.

TyMoore....Wow...I find it interesting that your Hotel dream seems so accurate...like you were paying attention to every detail somehow.

I remember having a dream in the early 90's.

I was sitting with someone (that I took to be my "higher self") at a table with my back to the window.

It was suggested that I get up and look outside.

I went outside the room onto a kind of long balcony. I looked over and there was the Universe ! Stars, Nebulae, the lot!

Presented to me as if something was saying "but have you noticed this!?".

That dream still haunts me to this day! (In a good way).

DJBarney
I love NSF!

Offline TyMoore

• Veteran
  • Eureka, CA, USA
  • Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #23 on: 01/26/2007 01:59 am »
There was another one that I had that was more of a 'nightmare' than a real dream. It quite literally woke me up with the sweats!

I am an on again, off again wannabe writer--and I've been exploring a plotline for a story for about fifteen years. Someday I hope to clean it up and publish it--I think it could make some money, but right now I just don't have the time...

Anyways, about seven years ago I was exploring again in this plot line when I had this dream--and it was a doosey...

Let me start by asking a question: What would it be like to be on a planet within about 10 light-years of a powerful supernova?

Well, in the dream I feel I pretty much answered my own question!

In the dream I am crouched in a cave with my family. We know we are the last few survivors...there is the heavy smell of ozone and nitrogen oxides--a kind of heavy, slightly sweet, metalic tang that gets stonger every day. Breathing is becoming increasingly difficult and painful because of the free radicals bleaching the lungs...

I stand in the mouth of the cave looking up into the night sky which is infact as bright if not brighter than day. My hand shields my eyes from the glare, even though there are heavy water vapor clouds in the sky. The glare is a very harsh, arcwelder bright, glaring electric-blue light that fills the sky. It is like a laser-blue melanoma on the sky. With exposure to this false 'sunlight,' I can immediately feel my skin begin to 'crisp' on the backs of my hands and arms with almost instant sunburn.

Every day as the patch gets bigger, more and more hard-UV and soft X-rays reach the surface, every day it gets hotter, windier, and reeks more of ozone.  Every day the search for water becomes more desperate. Food almost non existant.

I fear the end will come very soon. This is the Third Day.

This dream scared the bejeezus out of me when I had it. So I have to use it in my story--whatever else happens, there's got to be a supernova in there somewhere because I want to use the visuals which even after a few years still stun me a little. I just hope we humans never have to experience a nearby supernova--I fear I might have an idea what we'll be in for! I can say with convitction that a nearby supernova explosion would really suck.

Offline spaceflight101

• Veteran
« Reply #24 on: 01/26/2007 07:39 pm »
Barney, welcome aboard.
Moore, that's an interesting premise: what would happen on Earth if Alpha Centauri went up?
Say tomorrow...how long would it be until debris and hard radiation got here? EM radiation would be first, taking 4.5 years to get here, then the clock starts ticking.
I subscribe to the way humanity distinguished itself in ABC Family's show "Three Moons over Milford".
Instead of attempting to figure out ways to adapt, everyone instead decided to explore their inner child.
And we belong out in the galaxy...?
To quote "Shoeless Joe" from "Field of Dreams"...
"I think you'd better stay here, Ray."

Offline TyMoore

• Veteran
  • Eureka, CA, USA
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #25 on: 01/27/2007 01:19 am »
If Alpha Centauri were capable of a Type II supernova (stellar collapse followed by formation of a neutron star) then if it went now, prompt radiation (X-rays and gamma-rays) would of course take only 4.3 years to get here. The rest of the debris composed of the physical material of the massive star would take longer--it would move at anywhere from 1-3% of the speed of light. So say, 400 years or so. Seems like a long time, huh?

Offline spaceflight101

• Veteran
« Reply #26 on: 01/27/2007 11:22 am »
Talk about a wake-up call! Our magnetosphere and atmosphere would protect us from most of the hard rads, but it would certainly tell us that we've got 400 years to develop our space technology...or else!

Last night, I dreamt of being the driver for a busload of schoolkids. We visited a science center in Ohio, and met DeForest Kelley and Leonard Nimoy. Kelley was a tour guide, and he took the kids around. I was in the cafeteria when Nimoy walked over and sat down. He took a folded paper out of his pocket, and handed it to me. I unfolded it, and it was a drawing of the original Enterprise science station, with notations on what was where.

"Look at all of these things that have become reality!", he said. He was right.

Offline Cowsi

RE: "Space dreams"- how many of you have had them?
« Reply #27 on: 01/28/2007 12:00 am »
I dream very often about being in Space and just fly around in the massive area and explore stuff, and its my dream in real life aswell to get out to space, i would be very likely to donate my body for a chance to visit Mars

« Reply #28 on: 01/28/2007 12:26 am »
I don't often dream of space travel, but the other night I had the oddest dream.  I was in college somewhere, and was mixing some chemicals together.  I put a tiny amount into one of those big water jugs - the kind that they deliver water in, and it took off with an enormous dry and hot exhaust, flying up and down the streets on the college.   It was quite impressive.

Offline scienceguy

• Regular
  • Lethbridge, Alberta
  • Liked: 155
  • Likes Given: 279
« Reply #29 on: 01/28/2007 04:04 am »
I have dreamt of going to Mars a couple of times. Both times I am passing through nebula on the way there, which that doesn't make sense, but it's a dream, right?
e^(pi*i) = -1

Offline Dana

• Regular
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #30 on: 01/28/2007 05:52 am »
bhankiii - 27/1/2007  5:26 PM

I don't often dream of space travel, but the other night I had the oddest dream.  I was in college somewhere, and was mixing some chemicals together.  I put a tiny amount into one of those big water jugs - the kind that they deliver water in, and it took off with an enormous dry and hot exhaust, flying up and down the streets on the college.   It was quite impressive.

Those make great water rockets.
"Don't play dumb with me! You're not as good at it as I am!"-Col. Flagg

"'Second Place' is just the first loser."-Bobby Allison

Offline spaceflight101

• Veteran
« Reply #31 on: 02/16/2007 11:17 pm »
Last night was the worst one ever...
I dreamt that I was sitting in a TV room with a group of NASA engineers. We were getting ready to watch a shuttle launch on a TV monitor.
The SSMEs fired, then the SRBs, but instead of leaping off the pad as they usually do, this one crept to a height of maybe 50 feet before stalling. All of us were yelling "go, go, COME ON, GO!!!", and then it began to slowly accelerate again.
The camera never panned off the pad, and a few seconds later, the shuttle and ET fell down onto the MLP, then fell backwards off the MLP and disappeared in a cloud of cryogenic gases!
The TV switched to a NASA PR show. People started getting up and leaving, and no one would speak.
Some important things I remember were these:
The SRBs had been let go from the stack.
The SSMEs were not running, indicating a total failure.
Some fast-thinking individual had turned all of the electrical power to the pad off, thereby removing any electrical ignition sources.
There was no explosion.

Needless to say, I was very upset, to the point of tears.
So now, I ask those of you familiar with the hardware, what failures would have to have happened for this nightmare to be real?

Offline Mark Dave

• Ruined
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #32 on: 02/16/2007 11:27 pm »
I've had a dream of seeing the orbiter flying past in orbit. Sort of like the scene of  the big destroyer ships in Star Wars of this massive thing passing above.

Others are daydreams after a launch of what it would be if a camera was on the back of the ET looking down.

Offline ShuttleDiscovery

• NASA's first teenage astronaut
  • UK
    • Shuttle Discovery's Space Page
« Reply #33 on: 02/17/2007 06:37 pm »
I have had a dream which has actually spread out over a whole week!

I dreamt I was launching onboard Orion on an Ares I on a flight to the ISS. It felt so real floating through all the modules of the completed ISS. I also operated a whole load of equipment like the SSRMS and performed experiments in the labs.  :)  

The only bad part was landing. One of the parachutes failed and it was so bumpy I actually jumped and it woke me up!!!  ;)

Offline Andy USA

• Lead Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Los Angeles, California
  • Liked: 206
  • Likes Given: 255
« Reply #34 on: 05/26/2007 08:20 pm »
I dreamt I had to give the call for Auto Sequence Start last night lol. No idea what I was doing and I remember waking up in a panic as I just gave the call and got some angry looks from other controllers  :)

Offline ShuttleDiscovery

• NASA's first teenage astronaut
  • UK
    • Shuttle Discovery's Space Page
« Reply #35 on: 05/26/2007 08:41 pm »
Andy USA - 26/5/2007  9:20 PM

I dreamt I had to give the call for Auto Sequence Start last night lol. No idea what I was doing and I remember waking up in a panic as I just gave the call and got some angry looks from other controllers  :)

It's amazing how weird people's dreams can be! :)

Offline Naraht

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #36 on: 05/27/2007 08:00 am »
I dreamt last night that I was Wayne Hale...

Offline shuttlepilot

• Regular
  • nearby Warsaw, Poland
« Reply #37 on: 05/27/2007 04:38 pm »
Few days before STS-121 launch I dreamt that Discovery exploded at the end of the first stage ascent :) When I woke up after this terrible dream I realized that in reality Discovery's launch didn't occured yet ;)

Offline Launch Fan

• Veteran
  • Liked: 59
  • Likes Given: 44
« Reply #38 on: 06/17/2007 11:47 pm »
Stupid dream, but I dreamt last night of the problems with the ISS coming from a secret beam from China that started off an international crisis. NASA got a $100 billion budget boost and then I woke up.

Offline Celeritas

• Liked: 1
« Reply #39 on: 06/18/2007 01:38 am »
Launch Fan - 17/6/2007  7:47 PM

NASA got a $100 billion budget boost and then I woke up.

What a beautiful dream.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography