Author Topic: Semyorka Bloks B V G and D  (Read 2819 times)

Offline Phillip Clark

• Hastings, England
  • Liked: 557
  • Likes Given: 1078
Semyorka Bloks B V G and D
« on: 11/11/2017 01:53 pm »
I have often wondered whether there is any physical dofference between the Bloks B, V, G and D strap-ons of the Semyorka-derived launch vehicles.   Or is there the designator showing on each strap-on?

Has anyone got any ideas?

Many thanks.
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane - WJ.

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4660
  • Likes Given: 768
Re: Semyorka Bloks B V G and D
« Reply #1 on: 11/11/2017 04:49 pm »
I have often wondered whether there is any physical dofference between the Bloks B, V, G and D strap-ons of the Semyorka-derived launch vehicles.   Or is there the designator showing on each strap-on?

Has anyone got any ideas?

Many thanks.
anik can probably answer better but I think that it dates back to the analog versions because in launch preparation documents it lists a certain blok when rotating and aligning the launchers azimuth. Their may be other reasons.
« Last Edit: 11/11/2017 08:11 pm by russianhalo117 »

Offline Phillip Clark

• Hastings, England
« Reply #2 on: 11/11/2017 08:43 pm »
I had wondered if the Blok designators might be something to do with the orientation of the launch vehicle as it sat on the pad.   I asked Sergei Krikalev when he guested at the British Interplanetary Society in 2016, but he waffled without providing an answer.

Offline nsn

• Moscow, Russia
  • Liked: 22
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #3 on: 11/12/2017 04:23 am »
The letters themselves is obviously just an alphabetic enumeration, an equivalent of 2,3,4,5 and the central Block A is 1. There are Roman numerals, I am not sure whether they correspond to booster designations:

Offline koroljow

• Rees - Germany
  • Liked: 52
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #4 on: 11/12/2017 08:05 am »
B = Boris (Борис) - 2nd letter of russian alphabet
V = Vladimir (Владимир) - 3rd letter of russian alphabet
G = Grigori (Григорий) - 4th letter of russian alphabet
D = Dmitry (Дмитрий) - 5th letter of russian alphabet
derived from russian spelling alphabet - equivalent to Bravo, Charlie, Delta, Echo (when used for enumeration purposes). I recently came across this video where the foreman is talking about the nomenclature (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNyqjAti0JY?t=474). Interestingly Vladimir is the semi official variant for Vasiliy.

Edit: removed some nasty tags
« Last Edit: 11/12/2017 11:52 am by koroljow »
Geschichte und Geschichten aus mehr als sechseinhalb Jahrzehnten Raumfahrt:
http://www.raumfahrtkalender.de

Offline Alter Sachse

• Near Heidelberg
  • Liked: 1475
  • Likes Given: 1772
« Reply #5 on: 11/12/2017 08:40 am »
One day you're a hero  next day you're a clown  there's nothing that is in between
        Jeff Lynne - "21century man"

Offline Phillip Clark

• Hastings, England
« Reply #6 on: 11/12/2017 10:27 am »
Thank ou Koroljow for that information.   I had known about the Blok designators on the Semyorka variants since a 1986 Russian book about Gagarin gave the details, but I had not known the phonetic equivalents before.   For other stages - Bloks A, Ye (E), I, L and variants of these - I assume that there are similar phonetic equivalents.

Offline Nicolas PILLET

• Gien, France
    • Kosmonavtika
  • Liked: 668
  • Likes Given: 132
« Reply #7 on: 11/13/2017 06:49 am »
For other stages - Bloks A, Ye (E), I, L and variants of these - I assume that there are similar phonetic equivalents.

No. "Phonetics variants" are not official names, they are only mnemonic names used by workers in Russian Space industry.

Please note also that A, B, V, G, D, E are alphabetical order, but L has a specific meaning ("ликвидируя невесомость" = "suppression of weightless")
Nicolas PILLET
Kosmonavtika : The French site on Russian Space

Offline Phillip Clark

• Hastings, England
« Reply #8 on: 11/13/2017 08:25 am »
For other stages - Bloks A, Ye (E), I, L and variants of these - I assume that there are similar phonetic equivalents.
No. "Phonetics variants" are not official names, they are only mnemonic names used by workers in Russian Space industry.
Please note also that A, B, V, G, D, E are alphabetical order, but L has a specific meaning ("ликвидируя невесомость" = "suppression of weightless")

I had realised that the phonetic names were not official ones.   However the derivation of the Blok L designator was new to me - thank you!

I seem to remember reading that there was a Blok Zh proposed but it wasn't developed/flown and to complete the Cyrillic sequence through to Blok I I assume that there is a Blok Z also laying on the "proposed but not flown upper stages" floor.   The meaning of Blok L means that there need not be a Blok K lurking somewhere in deepest history.

Offline asmi

• Ontario, Canada
  • Liked: 170
  • Likes Given: 128
« Reply #9 on: 11/13/2017 03:41 pm »
Good to know. I thought that "L" from from "Luna" aka "The Moon" in Russian.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography