Author Topic: Rapper B.o.B. raising funds to launch satellites to check if Earth is flat  (Read 46952 times)

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 3974
  • Likes Given: 220
Oh the irony!

Can’t help feeling he knows very well it isn’t flat and this is just attention seeking

But US rapper B.o.B. is crowd-funding the launch of satellites to see if he can get some evidence to the contrary.

The rapper, whose real name is Bobby Ray Simmons Jr, has been a vocal proponent of the Flat Earth theory - the claim the Earth is, in fact, a disc and not spherical.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-41399164

Offline Svetoslav

• Veteran
  • Bulgaria
  • Liked: 1184
  • Likes Given: 114
I'd ask the moderators not to delete this thread because it's an actual space mission :)

https://www.gofundme.com/showBoBthecurve

Meanwhile the Ashay Doshi's comment is hilarious:

Bro. I am totally with you on this. But we cannot trust anything but our senses. The technology you're using will make it appear that the earth is round because of the curvature of the lenses mounted on your satellite. The only way to find out if the earth is flat is by going to outer soace yourself and ejecting yourself from the spacecraft, because the window glass would also have a slight curvature making the earth look round. Then you have to get out of your space suit, becayse the glass on your space suit will curve the appearance of the earth. So onky then you will see that the earth is in fact, flat.

Offline topo334

• California
  • Liked: 40
  • Likes Given: 50
About time we had a Monty Python thread, the endless Spacex debates are getting Boring Co. boring.

Offline Star One

• UK
I put it in here because it seems like a fine bit of comedy.

Offline Nomadd

• Lower 48
  • Liked: 60430
  • Likes Given: 1305
 So, it isn't turtles all the way down?
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.

He's Going to fund a satellite launch to prove his "theory"? Ok what happens when the results come back saying the Earth is in fact round. Won't he just say it's cgi or photoshopped and thus fake. Oh the irony indeed.

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 4548
  • Likes Given: 13523
I guess he must have fallen of the edge one night too many...
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator

Offline eric z

• Liked: 475
  • Likes Given: 2127
 Yeah, Baby! If the earth is really flat, and I suspect it is- since we ain't too sharp, maybe they could use auto-tune to adjust the climate? 8)

Offline Ronsmytheiii

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1879
  • Likes Given: 1023

Offline Svetoslav

• Veteran
  • Bulgaria
  • Liked: 1184
  • Likes Given: 114
He's Going to fund a satellite launch to prove his "theory"? Ok what happens when the results come back saying the Earth is in fact round. Won't he just say it's cgi or photoshopped and thus fake. Oh the irony indeed.

The same thing would happen when anti-vaxxers fund research and it proves them wrong :) They will deny the results :)

I am personally frustrated. I have several friends who're flat earthers. Which is curious. I am a researcher myself and I constantly meet and talk to people who're involved in the space programme - real people with real experiments in space. When those friends of mine tell me that the Earth is flat, it's almost like calling me a liar.
« Last Edit: 09/26/2017 08:33 pm by Svetoslav »

Offline Star One

• UK

The same thing would happen when anti-vaxxers fund research and it proves them wrong They will deny the results

I am personally frustrated. I have several friends who're flat earthers. Which is curious. I am a researcher myself and I constantly meet and talk to people who're involved in the space programme - real people with real experiments in space. When those friends of mine tell me that the Earth is flat, it's almost like calling me a liar.

I don’t understand how intelligent people can hold this belief in this day and age. After all and contrary to popular belief a lot of people even in the Middle Ages knew the Earth was a globe.

I can go to the seaside and using one of the telescopes on the front see ships out to sea pop up over the horizon due to the curvature of the Earth.
« Last Edit: 09/26/2017 09:48 pm by Star One »

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
(fan) I just want to know what his bird will have that all the birds in orbit already do not have.
(mod) this is probably off topic and in need of  being closed but I am laughing too hard to find the delete button. Let's not get TOO carried away or Chris will notice.
« Last Edit: 09/26/2017 10:00 pm by Lar »
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline Tomness

• Into the abyss will I run
  • Liked: 289
  • Likes Given: 737
This is your thirty-fifth attempt to elicit an emotional response from me.
-Young Spock

Offline eric z

In the immortal words of Pete and Roger: "It's just a put-on, put-on" {'Eminence Front'} :o

Offline savuporo

• Liked: 1002
  • Likes Given: 342
Isn't buying a round-the-world plane ticket a whole lot easier and way cheaper ?
Orion - the first and only manned not-too-deep-space craft

Offline Star One

• UK
Isn't buying a round-the-world plane ticket a whole lot easier and way cheaper ?

Wouldn’t going up in hot air balloon be even cheaper still to see what you needed to see it?

Offline spacenut

• East Alabama
  • Liked: 2587
  • Likes Given: 2895
Maybe he can pay for a Soyuz ride or a Dragon ride next year and he can see for himself.  These are the same people who do not believe we went to the moon.  They definitely do not need to be Martian colonists early on.

Offline MATTBLAK

• Elite Veteran & 'J.A.F.A'
  • 'Space Cadets' Let us; UNITE!! (crickets chirping)
  • New Zealand
  • Liked: 2239
  • Likes Given: 3883
Fools and their money are easily parted.

I know on some level this is funny stuff - but I've been warning people for years about these clowns, and I've rarely been taken seriously. I've even been told more than once on this website that there is no such thing as a mainstream presence for these people. Well; this thread and the link is proof positive that it has been in the 'mainstream' for awhile. I was at a show by Dr Neil Degrasse-Tyson here in Auckland, New Zealand a couple months back. When Dr Tyson mentioned the achievement of the Apollo lunar missions - a Hoaxtard idiot started screaming at him from the auditorium until Security evicted him.

Over the last 20 plus years, I have done Space Exploration history and science demonstrations for Expos and museums and I've lost count the number of times I've been taken to task - sometimes bullied - by people who are 'Hoaxtards' or even Flat Earthers. I have even had death threats on Facebook and other social media - I can quote the exact wording of the worst threat from memory - but cannot point to it because the threat was removed long ago from online. I have fought these d1ckheads online and sometimes in person for more years than I can count. There was even a heated exchange I had only yesterday on Facebook with a religious extremist about the Big Bang. You may think I go out of my way to invoke these encounters - I do not. Because if you are a passionate advocate of Space Exploration and Astronomy and are very active online on mainstream websites - they will find you. Space Geeks beware - these subhumans will threaten you one day soon. Do not back down; but don't try to escalate it, either.
"Those who can't, Blog".   'Space Cadets' of the World - Let us UNITE!! (crickets chirping)

Offline eric z

I agree almost 100% with Matt on the [bad word!]-- nonsense going on now; but in this particular case I really think these guys are just trying to attract attention to themselves and create "Hits" and $$$. "There's no such thing as bad publicity in show biz" and it has now been taken to a new level. That is different than the "Moon Landing Is Fake" or MLIF's crowd, which Matt is totally correct in using the term "Dangerous" to describe. I know a noted musician, world-class, who you would never believe could have bought into this... what do we even call it? Words seem inadequate.
 All the more reason to push ASAP for the Moon Base; it will hopefully put an end to at least this particular malarkey. ::)
« Last Edit: 09/27/2017 01:21 am by eric z »

Offline GWH

• Canada
  • Liked: 1929
  • Likes Given: 1277
What I find particularly special about this is that he acknowledges that rockets actually go to space, but somehow everything else is faked.  Most flat-earthers seem to be of the opinion that its impossible to go to space.

I just can't wrap my head around that kind of logic and partial denial.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography