Author Topic: Passengers on the Heart of Gold  (Read 2651 times)

Offline guckyfan

• Germany
  • Liked: 2332
  • Likes Given: 2891
Passengers on the Heart of Gold
« on: 03/14/2017 04:49 pm »
Another mad idea, we had already plenty of those.  :)

What if someone came along putting $ 500m on the table, proposing to go on the very first cargo ship to Mars? Mabe 2 persons like Inspiration Mars.

This is assuming that the pressurized space would already be there with temperature control and the solar panels. Inspiration Mars was proposed with the FH 13t to Mars including Dragon and habitat. Assuming 15t for a similar ECLSS including supplies should be on the safe side for the needs until the second ship with crew arrives.

Maybe the assumption is wrong that pressure and temperature would continue to be controlled during the stay on Mars. That would require a pressurized volume for that period. A closed volume for the ECLSS to maintain breathable atmosphere might be needed anyway. They could go around the whole pressurized space with a simple oxygen mask or a system that recycles the breathing air while outside.

Any chance at all that Elon could be convinced to agree?

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
Re: Passengers on the Heart of Gold
« Reply #1 on: 03/14/2017 04:54 pm »
Low probability, not incremental enough. I don't think you just pickup Dragon ECLSS and move it to a pressurised space in a much larger ship and have it work.

I think it better that the first ship be robotic, that it deploys rovers and cells and starts mining propellant feedstocks and making CH4 and LOX
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline guckyfan

• Germany
« Reply #2 on: 03/14/2017 05:06 pm »
Low probability, not incremental enough. I don't think you just pickup Dragon ECLSS and move it to a pressurised space in a much larger ship and have it work.

I did not think of them as useful crew but as passengers who pay, similar to the moon shot. Though they might do a few useful things. For ECLSS I was thinking of what was worked on for Inspiration Mars. Simple and kept going with lots of manual work. Slightly less risky because of more supplies.

15t for the passengers would probably not cut too much into the cargo for the planned use. I agree that Elon Musk would not agree if it interferes with the tasks of the planned mission.

Offline Fan Boi

• Here
  • Liked: 27
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #3 on: 03/14/2017 05:11 pm »
The first person to put boots on Mars will be famous forever. Perhaps there is a billionaire willing to pay for the priveledge? If a bidding war was started I wouldn't be surprised if SpaceX could get several billion for the first flight...

Offline jpo234

• Liked: 2280
  • Likes Given: 2184
« Reply #4 on: 03/14/2017 08:28 pm »
The first person to put boots on Mars will be famous forever. Perhaps there is a billionaire willing to pay for the priveledge? If a bidding war was started I wouldn't be surprised if SpaceX could get several billion for the first flight...
And if something goes wrong, said billionaire could still get a brand new martian crater named after himself. A glorious memorial for ages to come.
You want to be inspired by things. You want to wake up in the morning and think the future is going to be great. That's what being a spacefaring civilization is all about. It's about believing in the future and believing the future will be better than the past. And I can't think of anything more exciting than being out there among the stars.

Offline geoffrooooo

• australia
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #5 on: 03/15/2017 02:00 am »
The 'Heart of gold' is supposed to not come back isn't it? So any passengers would be stuck there till the next ITS landed a few years later and then another long wait to go home?

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25240
  • Likes Given: 12115
« Reply #6 on: 03/15/2017 02:08 am »
I think $500m is too low. SpaceX probably wants a good ECLSS and that'd take money to accelerate. There would need to be tests done to ensure the rocket is safe enough for people. Can't be just a 50:50 chance like they might get away with otherwise.
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline guckyfan

• Germany
« Reply #7 on: 03/15/2017 07:24 am »
I think $500m is too low.

Probably yes. But $500m could be enough to send two ships to Mars if money is a limiting factor. They land the unmanned ship first and apply any experience gained a month later for the manned landing.

True they could not come back for at least two synods. But the second synod they would have company and an advanced ECLSS on the crewed ship.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography