Author Topic: Trump speech at joint session of Congress  (Read 3743 times)

Offline Endeavour_01

• Physics Professor in SC, USA
  • Liked: 399
  • Likes Given: 405
Re: Trump speech at joint session of Congress
« Reply #20 on: 03/04/2017 12:25 AM »
More of my response to the LA Times article:

Pt. 3:

Finally the article contains a number of tired old arguments against human spaceflight that can be easily refuted.

1. Nobody knows the names of the astronauts so nobody is inspired by HSF anymore.

From the article, "Today few can summon up the names of shuttle astronauts with the exception of Christa McAuliffe"

If someone's importance was directly proportional to how many people knew their name then Beyoncé would be the leader of the world.

A lot of people have no clue who is on the Supreme Court. Does that make them useless?

Mr. Hiltzik though refutes his own argument right before this line by saying, "as a kid I knew the names and personal stories of all the original seven Mercury pilots." The author admits that HSF has an inspirational value. Just because he doesn't personally find it inspirational doesn't mean it can't be inspirational to others.

I personally was inspired by NASA and HSF to go into a STEM field. I am now teaching the next generation of scientists. We are human beings, not robots. We need inspiration in order to move forward and HSF has inspired a ton of people to go into STEM fields and revolutionize our world.

2. Humans are unnecessarily for space exploration.

To answer this argument allow me to quote Steve Squyres, the PI for the Spirit and Opportunity Rovers.

"I'm actually a very strong supporter of human spaceflight. I believe that the most successful exploration is going to be carried out by humans, not by robots. What Spirit and Opportunity have done in 5 1/2 years on Mars, you and I could have done in a good week. "

3. HSF and curing cancer are mutually exclusive

See the above comment for a counter-argument.

4. The Hubble repair missions were useless because we could have just built another one.

This is a flawed argument. It took about 13 years from the time of initial funding to the point that Hubble launched. It would probably take less time the second time around but it would still cost years of valuable observation time.

Having Hubble back up and running quickly and continuously has been a major boon to astronomers.
I cheer for both NASA and commercial space. For SLS, Orion, Falcon 9, Falcon Heavy, Dragon, Starliner, Cygnus and all the rest!
I was blessed to see the launch of Space Shuttle Endeavour on STS-99. The launch was beyond amazing. My 8-year old mind was blown. I remember the noise and seeing the exhaust pour out of the shuttle as it lifted off. I remember staring and watching it soar while it was visible in the clear blue sky. It was one of the greatest moments of my life and I will never forget it.

Offline Tea Party Space Czar

• TEA Party in Space Czar
  • Washington DC
    • TEA Party in Space
  • Liked: 155
  • Likes Given: 250
« Reply #21 on: 03/04/2017 02:44 AM »
My .02 cents:

Americans really do not give a flip about HSF.  They don't.  They want their internet and phones.  They want weather and technology.  I have done a lot, (a lot), of surveys, campaigning, and retail politics over the past 18 months and NASA is never in the top 10.

Now we get a screamer of an asteroid or comet things might change.  So with that why would Donald J. Trump talk about space when all of his other issues, which he ran and won on, needed more time?

NASA is not a priority for the people right now.  I know I am in the minority here but frankly we should be pushing the commercial option.  Commercial Rockets to LEO, assemble, and go.  $2 billion a launch is a lousy way to go.  I honestly thought we would have hit the tipping point but I guess it will be 2018.

It is what it is.

Fly the Donald to JSC for a speech where we will use ULA, Spacex, and Bigelow to do some neat things in CIS Lunar.
President, TEA Party in Space

What we want and what we can afford are two very different things.

Demanding space policy that is fiscally responsible and utilizing the free market system.

Offline vulture4

• Liked: 305
  • Likes Given: 89
« Reply #22 on: 03/04/2017 04:20 AM »
I agree with TPSZ on this. The SLS and Orion are simply too expensive to be practical, and the single-payload capacity the SLS provides is not essential for any anticipated mission.

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 6778
  • Likes Given: 4807
« Reply #23 on: 03/04/2017 06:02 AM »
My .02 cents:

Americans really do not give a flip about HSF.  They don't.  They want their internet and phones.  They want weather and technology.  I have done a lot, (a lot), of surveys, campaigning, and retail politics over the past 18 months and NASA is never in the top 10.

Now we get a screamer of an asteroid or comet things might change.  So with that why would Donald J. Trump talk about space when all of his other issues, which he ran and won on, needed more time?

NASA is not a priority for the people right now.  I know I am in the minority here but frankly we should be pushing the commercial option.  Commercial Rockets to LEO, assemble, and go.  $2 billion a launch is a lousy way to go.  I honestly thought we would have hit the tipping point but I guess it will be 2018.

It is what it is.

Fly the Donald to JSC for a speech where we will use ULA, Spacex, and Bigelow to do some neat things in CIS Lunar.
China is a lot closer to landing people on the Moon than most people realize. Look at this, which they'll fly in AUGUST of this year, and tell me it's not a dwarf Apollo:

They already have a well-tested crewed capsule, and they recently did an around-the-Moon test with a subscale version of it.

They also have autonomous docking capability and hypergolic space tugs. They just need to scale up Chang'e 5 by a factor of four in mass. Then, 4 launches of Long March 5 later, they could be standing on the Moon.

That could change the tune.
« Last Edit: 03/04/2017 06:02 AM by Robotbeat »
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline guckyfan

• Germany
  • Liked: 1577
  • Likes Given: 1385
« Reply #24 on: 03/04/2017 08:07 AM »
They have recently announced building a launch vehicle that will match the Saturn V in capacity, both LEO and beyond by 2021. The only thing they need for manned moon landings before 2024 is the will and they may have that.

Tags: