Author Topic: Trump speech at joint session of Congress  (Read 5178 times)

Offline Tea Party Space Czar

• President, Tea Party in Space
  • TEA Party in Space Czar
  • Washington DC
  • Liked: 213
  • Likes Given: 256
Re: Trump speech at joint session of Congress
« Reply #20 on: 03/04/2017 02:44 AM »
My .02 cents:

Americans really do not give a flip about HSF.  They don't.  They want their internet and phones.  They want weather and technology.  I have done a lot, (a lot), of surveys, campaigning, and retail politics over the past 18 months and NASA is never in the top 10.

Now we get a screamer of an asteroid or comet things might change.  So with that why would Donald J. Trump talk about space when all of his other issues, which he ran and won on, needed more time?

NASA is not a priority for the people right now.  I know I am in the minority here but frankly we should be pushing the commercial option.  Commercial Rockets to LEO, assemble, and go.  $2 billion a launch is a lousy way to go.  I honestly thought we would have hit the tipping point but I guess it will be 2018.

It is what it is.

Fly the Donald to JSC for a speech where we will use ULA, Spacex, and Bigelow to do some neat things in CIS Lunar.

Offline vulture4

• Liked: 307
  • Likes Given: 89
« Reply #21 on: 03/04/2017 04:20 AM »
I agree with TPSZ on this. The SLS and Orion are simply too expensive to be practical, and the single-payload capacity the SLS provides is not essential for any anticipated mission.

Online Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 7856
  • Likes Given: 5231
« Reply #22 on: 03/04/2017 06:02 AM »
My .02 cents:

Americans really do not give a flip about HSF.  They don't.  They want their internet and phones.  They want weather and technology.  I have done a lot, (a lot), of surveys, campaigning, and retail politics over the past 18 months and NASA is never in the top 10.

Now we get a screamer of an asteroid or comet things might change.  So with that why would Donald J. Trump talk about space when all of his other issues, which he ran and won on, needed more time?

NASA is not a priority for the people right now.  I know I am in the minority here but frankly we should be pushing the commercial option.  Commercial Rockets to LEO, assemble, and go.  $2 billion a launch is a lousy way to go.  I honestly thought we would have hit the tipping point but I guess it will be 2018.

It is what it is.

Fly the Donald to JSC for a speech where we will use ULA, Spacex, and Bigelow to do some neat things in CIS Lunar.
China is a lot closer to landing people on the Moon than most people realize. Look at this, which they'll fly in AUGUST of this year, and tell me it's not a dwarf Apollo:

They already have a well-tested crewed capsule, and they recently did an around-the-Moon test with a subscale version of it.

They also have autonomous docking capability and hypergolic space tugs. They just need to scale up Chang'e 5 by a factor of four in mass. Then, 4 launches of Long March 5 later, they could be standing on the Moon.

That could change the tune.
« Last Edit: 03/04/2017 06:02 AM by Robotbeat »
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline guckyfan

• Germany
  • Liked: 1721
  • Likes Given: 1665
« Reply #23 on: 03/04/2017 08:07 AM »
They have recently announced building a launch vehicle that will match the Saturn V in capacity, both LEO and beyond by 2021. The only thing they need for manned moon landings before 2024 is the will and they may have that.

Tags: