Author Topic: Elon The Boring Company  (Read 1623704 times)

Offline woods170

• IRAS fan
  • IRAS fan
  • The Netherlands
  • Liked: 18181
  • Likes Given: 12139
Re: Elon The Boring Company
« Reply #560 on: 09/09/2017 04:32 pm »
Seeing all the damage, including particularly flood damage, from hurricanes like Harvey and Irma, I was just wondering whether any technology improvements from The Boring Company might be used for drilling bigger/better/more-extensive water drainage systems. Are there any possibilities there?

Cannot 'drain' when surrounding area is at or near sea level, tunnels or no.
Erm, polder. Just requires pumping and input of energy.
Naturally I will agree with you given that I live in one. This one in fact: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flevopolder

And how many 4m tunnels does it use?
One. And it is in fact larger than 4 meters in diameter. It is however not used for drainage but for running a railway to the other side of the Veluwemeer (Lake Veluwe).

But strictly looking at drainage: the Flevopolder uses several tens-of-thousands of drainage tubes (approx 4 inches in diameter) to carry away excess water into ditches. Those ditches dump their water into canals. The water from the canals is pumped out of the polder into the surrounding lakes by a number of pumping stations.

Offline Ludus

• Liked: 1255
  • Likes Given: 1016
« Reply #561 on: 09/09/2017 06:36 pm »
« Last Edit: 09/09/2017 06:37 pm by Ludus »

Offline RedLineTrain

• Liked: 2401
  • Likes Given: 10203
« Reply #562 on: 09/09/2017 06:41 pm »
11 jobs open

Senior Tunnel Design Engineer
Civil Engineer or Drafter (familiar with Civil3D)
Software Engineer (familiar with LabView)
Electrical Engineer
Harness Technician
Aerodynamics Engineer
Firmware Engineer with experience in CANbus, C++, and embedded Linux
TBM Operator & Mechanic (combined position; previously was separated)
Safety Representative and Gas Tester
Mechanical Engineer/Designer
California Professional Geologist and Certified Engineering Geologist

8 jobs filled/removed

Tunnel Design Engineer
Facilities Technician
Concrete Batch Plant Operator
TBM Superintendent
Certified Crane Operator for 110-ton Crawler Crane
TBM Segment Installer
Concrete Field Testing Technician
In-House Counsel with Transactional Experience (Transportation Law Experience Preferred)

Offline RedLineTrain

« Reply #563 on: 09/09/2017 06:45 pm »
The Hawthorne City Council 9/12 council meeting agenda includes...

Closed Session - Conference with Real Property Negotiator, Arnold Shadbehr pursuant to California Government Code Section 54956.8:  Property: Granting of an easement for a tunnel project under 120th Street located approximately between Crenshaw Blvd and Hawthorne Blvd in the City of Hawthorne. Agency Negotiator, City Manager; Negotiating Parties: The Boring Company: Under Negotiation: Price and Terms for City’s Grant of Easement.

http://hawthorne-ca.granicus.com/GeneratedAgendaViewer.php?event_id=74e1f502-77a0-4c24-8cb5-5e937579386c
« Last Edit: 09/09/2017 06:45 pm by RedLineTrain »

Offline ariek

• Liked: 55
  • Likes Given: 37
« Reply #564 on: 09/22/2017 01:09 pm »

Offline RedLineTrain

« Reply #565 on: 09/22/2017 09:22 pm »
The September 26 Hawthorne City Council @ 6 pm meeting (streaming available) agenda includes...

12.  Appointment of Acting City Manager Robert Fager as City’s real property negotiator with respect to the granting of an easement under 120th Street between Crenshaw Blvd and Hawthorne Blvd in the City of Hawthorne. 
RECOMMENDED MOTION: That the City Council approve the Appointment of Acting City Manager Robert Fager as City’s real property negotiator with respect to the granting of an easement under 120th Street between Crenshaw Blvd and Hawthorne Blvd in the City of Hawthorne. 
15.  Closed Session: Conference with Real Property Negotiator, Robert Fager pursuant to California Government Code Section 54956.8:  Property: Granting of an easement for a tunnel project under 120th Street located approximately between Crenshaw Blvd and Hawthorne Blvd in the City of Hawthorne. Agency Negotiator, City Manager; Negotiating Parties: The Boring Company: Under Negotiation: Price and Terms for City’s Grant of Easement.
16.  Closed Session: Conference with Legal Counsel – Anticipated Litigation - Significant exposure to litigation pursuant to paragraph (2) of subdivision (d) of Section 54956.9: (one case) 
Subject - Confirmation and Approval of The Boring Company’s Guaranty, Insurance Coverage and Payment for a Portion of a Previously Approved Subsurface Easement
Recommendation - Confirm and Approve The Boring Company’s Guaranty, Insurance Coverage and Payment for a Portion of a Previously Approved Subsurface Easement.

http://hawthorne-ca.granicus.com/GeneratedAgendaViewer.php?event_id=0e77078a-39dd-4fd9-b92c-d2e2439bf1ea

Offline KelvinZero

• Liked: 887
  • Likes Given: 201
« Reply #566 on: 09/24/2017 08:08 am »
Anyone mentioned boring mall space to attach to the transportation system? Or just to create more city space in general? Just a fanciful idea that all the bits and pieces, including pressure tight access to the hyperloop and aesthetics to avoid claustrophobia, could grow to look more and more like a mars city.

Offline docmordrid

• Michigan
  • Liked: 4204
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #567 on: 09/24/2017 09:26 am »
IMO, there is nothing accidental about it.

{Cue Heath Ledger}
DM

Offline john smith 19

• Everyplaceelse
  • Liked: 2426
  • Likes Given: 13596
« Reply #568 on: 09/24/2017 09:44 am »
11 jobs open

8 jobs filled/removed

TBM Superintendent
TBM Segment Installer
In case anyone didn't know this "TBM" is standard for "Tunnel Boring Machine," the generic term for these things,regardless of how they operate.

Although I quite like "Musks Mole" myself.  :)
One. And it is in fact larger than 4 meters in diameter. It is however not used for drainage but for running a railway to the other side of the Veluwemeer (Lake Veluwe).

But strictly looking at drainage: the Flevopolder uses several tens-of-thousands of drainage tubes (approx 4 inches in diameter) to carry away excess water into ditches. Those ditches dump their water into canals. The water from the canals is pumped out of the polder into the surrounding lakes by a number of pumping stations.
Fascinating. A nice example of a "fractal plumbing" system, gradually collecting water.

It's also interesting from the mars settlement perspective of "making" land. I'm not sure how many other countries in the world do this.
MCT ITS BFR SS. The worlds first Methane fueled FFSC engined CFRP SS structure A380 sized aerospaceplane tail sitter capable of Earth & Mars atmospheric flight.First flight to Mars by end of 2022 TBC. T&C apply. Trust nothing. Run your own #s "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof" R. Simberg."Competitve" means cheaper ¬cheap SCramjet proposed 1956. First +ve thrust 2004. US R&D spend to date > $10Bn. #deployed designs. Zero.

Offline JamesH65

• Liked: 1737
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #569 on: 09/25/2017 09:07 am »
11 jobs open

8 jobs filled/removed

TBM Superintendent
TBM Segment Installer
In case anyone didn't know this "TBM" is standard for "Tunnel Boring Machine," the generic term for these things,regardless of how they operate.

Although I quite like "Musks Mole" myself.  :)

Fascinating. A nice example of a "fractal plumbing" system, gradually collecting water.

It's also interesting from the mars settlement perspective of "making" land. I'm not sure how many other countries in the world do this.

Cambridgeshire fens (and other areas) in the UK use a similar mechanism.

Offline Ludus

• Liked: 1255
  • Likes Given: 1016
« Reply #570 on: 09/25/2017 11:59 am »
Anyone mentioned boring mall space to attach to the transportation system? Or just to create more city space in general? Just a fanciful idea that all the bits and pieces, including pressure tight access to the hyperloop and aesthetics to avoid claustrophobia, could grow to look more and more like a mars city.

I think the similarity is there. It seems like there’s a system coming together from different proposals. Transport pods like depicted in the Boring Co video could also fit inside Hyperloop pods as depicted in the Dubai Hyperloop video or Musks original white paper that mentioned Hyperloop carrying cars. Hyperloop stations could then be entirely automated spaces underground where vehicles in the air filled tube/electric skate system enter/exit Hyperloop pods and they then enter/exit air locks. So a single passenger container travels on surface streets to final destinations (or maybe even in buildings in a Thyssen-Krupp style horizontal/vertical elevator) as well as in tunnels for longer trips or Hyperloop between cities. Direct connections to underground shopping/office space/commercial underground fits well with this. Apparently Houston had a system of underground passages with shops like this that flooded in the hurricane. It would be a lot like an underground city on Mars.

Offline rsdavis9

« Reply #571 on: 09/25/2017 12:58 pm »

I think the similarity is there. It seems like there’s a system coming together from different proposals. Transport pods like depicted in the Boring Co video could also fit inside Hyperloop pods as depicted in the Dubai Hyperloop video or Musks original white paper that mentioned Hyperloop carrying cars. Hyperloop stations could then be entirely automated spaces underground where vehicles in the air filled tube/electric skate system enter/exit Hyperloop pods and they then enter/exit air locks. So a single passenger container travels on surface streets to final destinations (or maybe even in buildings in a Thyssen-Krupp style horizontal/vertical elevator) as well as in tunnels for longer trips or Hyperloop between cities. Direct connections to underground shopping/office space/commercial underground fits well with this. Apparently Houston had a system of underground passages with shops like this that flooded in the hurricane. It would be a lot like an underground city on Mars.

rochester mn also has a similar "subway" that is a bunch of walking tunnels with shops.
With ELV best efficiency was the paradigm. The new paradigm is reusable, good enough, and commonality of design.
Same engines. Design once. Same vehicle. Design once. Reusable. Build once.

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25222
  • Likes Given: 12114
« Reply #572 on: 09/25/2017 01:04 pm »
In Minnesota, the universities usually have either tunnels or skyways connecting all the major buildings. Downtowns of both Minneapolis and Saint Paul both have extensive skyway systems connecting almost all the downtown buildings. There's a light rail from the airport to the Mall of America to downtown Minneapolis. It's possible to visit Minneapolis from another country, go on roller coasters, walk among trees and sharks and the entirety of the downtown buildings and leave again without ever seeing the sky directly above except through glass.
« Last Edit: 09/25/2017 01:06 pm by Robotbeat »
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline DanielW

• L-22
  • Liked: 577
  • Likes Given: 85
« Reply #573 on: 09/25/2017 04:09 pm »
In Minnesota, the universities usually have either tunnels or skyways connecting all the major buildings. Downtowns of both Minneapolis and Saint Paul both have extensive skyway systems connecting almost all the downtown buildings. There's a light rail from the airport to the Mall of America to downtown Minneapolis. It's possible to visit Minneapolis from another country, go on roller coasters, walk among trees and sharks and the entirety of the downtown buildings and leave again without ever seeing the sky directly above except through glass.

And I have lived in the area for 6 years and never used any of that because there is no effective mass transit outside of buses unless you happen to live on one of two light rail corridors. I would not mind a decent tunnel system connecting outlying areas. Driving in is enough of a pain that I don't do it.

Offline Steve D

• Liked: 127
« Reply #574 on: 09/25/2017 05:33 pm »
I am assuming each hyper loop pod has a life support system? What happens in a power failure? What happens if a pod loses pressure?

Offline Coastal Ron

• I live... along the coast
  • Liked: 10186
  • Likes Given: 11915
« Reply #575 on: 09/25/2017 05:59 pm »
I am assuming each hyper loop pod has a life support system? What happens in a power failure? What happens if a pod loses pressure?

For Hyperloop, where the transport tube is normally evacuated of air, if the system stops they could flood the transport tubes with normal air and then move the transport pods along at slower speeds to the next station so they can reset the system. That would be my guess.
If we don't continuously lower the cost to access space, how are we ever going to afford to expand humanity out into space?

Offline Steve D

« Reply #576 on: 09/25/2017 06:02 pm »

For Hyperloop, where the transport tube is normally evacuated of air, if the system stops they could flood the transport tubes with normal air and then move the transport pods along at slower speeds to the next station so they can reset the system. That would be my guess.

But pressurizing the tube will take a long time.......

Offline envy887

• Liked: 6799
  • Likes Given: 2963
« Reply #577 on: 09/25/2017 06:48 pm »

Depends how big your air flooding system is and how often it vents into the tube.

Offline Steve D

« Reply #578 on: 09/25/2017 07:02 pm »

Depends how big your air flooding system is and how often it vents into the tube.

If a pod loses pressure you only have seconds before permanent damage is done to the passengers. Only a minute or 2 before they are dead. You wont be able to pressurize a tube like that that quickly.

Offline envy887

• Liked: 6799
  • Likes Given: 2963
« Reply #579 on: 09/25/2017 07:26 pm »

If a pod loses pressure you only have seconds before permanent damage is done to the passengers. Only a minute or 2 before they are dead. You wont be able to pressurize a tube like that that quickly.

Leaks are inevitable, even in normal operation, so every pod will need a pressurization system that can maintain internal pressure for some time against a small leak.

It would take a large hole to depressurize a pod very quickly. Not sure there's a whole lot that can be done in that event though.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography