Author Topic: Elon The Boring Company  (Read 1623707 times)

Offline raketa

• Liked: 147
  • Likes Given: 59
Elon The Boring Company
« on: 01/26/2017 07:14 pm »
I think SpaceX was already working on the boring device for Mars and then he has  an idea, that technology could be used here on earth too.
I think this is spin off his Mars program.
« Last Edit: 03/29/2019 09:11 pm by raketa »

Offline Stan-1967

• Denver, Colorado
  • Liked: 1171
  • Likes Given: 612
Re: Elon The Boring Company
« Reply #1 on: 01/26/2017 07:34 pm »
It's possible that it may be Mars related.  Alternately, he has grown to hate I-405 from his home in Bel Air driving south to SpaceX/Hawthorne. That stretch of lovely LA freeway can drive anyone insane.

Offline Coastal Ron

• I live... along the coast
  • Liked: 10186
  • Likes Given: 11915
« Reply #2 on: 01/26/2017 07:37 pm »
Almost everything Musk is involved with today on a public level has the ability to be used & useful for Mars colonies.

As to this boring idea for Earth, I don't think we see enough of his solution to understand how near-term or practical it is.
If we don't continuously lower the cost to access space, how are we ever going to afford to expand humanity out into space?

Offline Basto

• Salt Lake City, UT
  • Liked: 145
  • Likes Given: 204
« Reply #3 on: 01/26/2017 07:51 pm »
Almost everything Musk is involved with today on a public level has the ability to be used & useful for Mars colonies.

As to this boring idea for Earth, I don't think we see enough of his solution to understand how near-term or practical it is.

Or whether he is just trolling...

Offline nacnud

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 981
  • Likes Given: 347
« Reply #4 on: 01/26/2017 08:16 pm »
Or whether he is just trolling...

Na, trolls live under bridges not in tunnels.

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25222
  • Likes Given: 12114
« Reply #5 on: 01/26/2017 08:18 pm »
...except cave trolls, perhaps.
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 4548
  • Likes Given: 13523
« Reply #6 on: 01/26/2017 08:31 pm »
I though ULA was "the boring company", but in a good way... ;)
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
« Reply #7 on: 01/26/2017 08:41 pm »
Some speculate that this is only going to be a pedestrian underpass/tunnel from the main building to the parking deck.

Might be a way to test some  Mars tech but the soils composition is going to be so vastly different that it might not teach much.
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline clongton

• Expert
  • Connecticut
    • Direct Launcher
  • Liked: 7331
  • Likes Given: 3744
« Reply #8 on: 01/26/2017 08:48 pm »
Alternately, he has grown to hate I-405 from his home in Bel Air driving south to SpaceX/Hawthorne. That stretch of lovely LA freeway can drive anyone insane.

Helicopter  ;D
« Last Edit: 01/26/2017 08:50 pm by clongton »
Chuck - DIRECT co-founder
I started my career on the Saturn-V F-1A engine

Offline RonM

• Atlanta, Georgia USA
  • Liked: 2231
  • Likes Given: 1584
« Reply #9 on: 01/26/2017 08:58 pm »
Alternately, he has grown to hate I-405 from his home in Bel Air driving south to SpaceX/Hawthorne. That stretch of lovely LA freeway can drive anyone insane.

Helicopter  ;D

Yes, SpaceX is next door to Hawthorne Muni Airport (Jack Northrop Field).

Offline Darga

• Beyond the wall
  • Liked: 179
  • Likes Given: 881
« Reply #10 on: 01/26/2017 09:07 pm »

Helicopter  ;D

Private aircraft tend to crash too much. Just look at all the "accidents" with VIPs.

Offline Hotblack Desiato

• Austria
  • Liked: 74
  • Likes Given: 52
« Reply #11 on: 01/26/2017 09:12 pm »
Yes, somehow every technology he touches can be used Mars-related.

The tunneling system might have been born together with the hyperloop, the swiss-metro concept comes into mind (connect all major swiss cities by underground vacuum maglev tunnels, since they can't build those connections above the surface). On Mars, tunnels would provide radiation-free connections between buildings or could even work as locations for buildings.

On Earth, todays tunnels have a major problem: exhaust from cars needs to be removed, or otherwise the people using the tunnels die. It's vastly simpler to operate railway-tunnels (at least in Europe), due to the simple fact, that railways are working electrically. With electric cars, or hyperloops the same advantage will be at automotive transportation. And it will be even more important on Mars... because no one will operate a gasoline fuelled car inside a (large) martian colony. It'd be just plain ridiculous.

I'm just not sure, if he should go the route "hey, there is a fine new motorway, but it's only for electric cars"...

Online launchwatcher

• Liked: 724
  • Likes Given: 985
« Reply #12 on: 01/26/2017 09:14 pm »
Some speculate that this is only going to be a pedestrian underpass/tunnel from the main building to the parking deck.
Anecdotal points in support of this speculation:

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Hit-and-Run-Video-Hawthorne-Crosswalk-Search-SpaceX-408680785.html

The most specific of the tweets:
Starting across from my desk at SpaceX. Crenshaw and the 105 Freeway, which is 5 mins from LAX
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/824183010241216512

There is a light rail and bus stop at Crenshaw and 105; there is a large parking garage across Crenshaw from SpaceX's factory.

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
« Reply #13 on: 01/26/2017 09:32 pm »
Jdshetler posted a pic in another thread that I can't find showing why they couldn't build a bridge from the building to the deck. Some schmo parked a rocket on the corner...

See http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=40594.msg1635304#msg1635304 (found it)
« Last Edit: 01/26/2017 09:55 pm by Lar »
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline rsdavis9

« Reply #14 on: 01/26/2017 09:41 pm »
I vote for a electric car only tunnel. And only electric cars with autopilot.
With ELV best efficiency was the paradigm. The new paradigm is reusable, good enough, and commonality of design.
Same engines. Design once. Same vehicle. Design once. Reusable. Build once.

Offline RedLineTrain

• Liked: 2401
  • Likes Given: 10203
« Reply #15 on: 01/26/2017 09:58 pm »
If he has been thinking about this for a while, perhaps he has an innovative solution -- or more heavy use of a previously-proposed solution.  For instance, sonic boring.

Offline TripD

• Peace
  • Liked: 851
  • Likes Given: 677
« Reply #16 on: 01/27/2017 01:25 am »
Lar! You have created a Mobius thread!  ;)

Online meekGee

• N. California
  • Liked: 14030
  • Likes Given: 1391
« Reply #17 on: 01/27/2017 03:00 am »

Then he should quit his damn job, start his own company, and then he can work whatever hours he wants.
ABCD - Always Be Counting Down

Offline john smith 19

• Everyplaceelse
  • Liked: 2426
  • Likes Given: 13596
« Reply #18 on: 01/27/2017 07:06 am »
Self propelled boring machines have been called subterenes (by analogy with submarines).

The original notion was of using heat to just melt your way through rock, creating a water proof lining as you went (and saving a great deal of money in the process).

This was at Los Alamos in the early 60's and revived in 1970.

http://atomic-skies.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/those-magnificent-men-and-their-atomic.html

Discusses it's history. The report on the idea is

http://projectcamelot.org/la5354ms.pdf

Note the original plan was to just use an electric heating element and drive it from a power cable from the surface. Test models were built and used. Yes it can actually be done. However I'm guessing the power requirements go up with the hole size quite a lot.
MCT ITS BFR SS. The worlds first Methane fueled FFSC engined CFRP SS structure A380 sized aerospaceplane tail sitter capable of Earth & Mars atmospheric flight.First flight to Mars by end of 2022 TBC. T&C apply. Trust nothing. Run your own #s "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof" R. Simberg."Competitve" means cheaper ¬cheap SCramjet proposed 1956. First +ve thrust 2004. US R&D spend to date > $10Bn. #deployed designs. Zero.

Offline wuzetian

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #19 on: 01/27/2017 10:38 am »
Maybe the Russians don't have the necessary EW system or IAF only wants the Israeli systems so didn't include other cheaper bidders in the tender

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography