Author Topic: WIP - NSF 2017 Redesign - Now in work, see new thread  (Read 24037 times)

Online Chris Bergin

Some very much WIP views (a lot of work in the backbone and then started adding content - which you'll note is not actual content, just test content). Mark's allowing me to share to show how it'll still be the NSF you know and love, but cleaner and updated.

Note this is from Mark and a mash up of some of the redesign, not one page ;) Also note the new logo....the compromise and update that is still NSF, but not with a massive NASA, more subtle.

So click on the image. Bottom right is what one page will look like. Logo expanded in top right. Example of how the logo fits a design in the top left. Two forum pages shown bottom left.

Oh and there's a mobile version that is pretty amazing. Not some smaller view of the desktop site, an actual site that is NSF but in mobile form. It's very clever.
« Last Edit: 09/26/2017 01:29 pm by Chris Bergin »
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline pippin

• Regular
  • Liked: 312
  • Likes Given: 45
Re: WIP - NSF 2017 Redesign
« Reply #1 on: 01/13/2017 07:33 pm »
Love the design and especially the logo!

Offline pippin

• Regular
« Reply #2 on: 01/13/2017 07:34 pm »
One question: is this a responsive design for tablets/phones, too?

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #3 on: 01/13/2017 07:36 pm »

The backbone (had no images, just boxes at this stage) for the phone version is a different layout that reminded me what the BBC site when viewed through a phone. So hard to describe without showing a graphic (which will be forthcoming), but I think you'll all be very pleased.

For instance, the top menu on the desktop news site is a drag down menu on the mobile version. Good for people with fat fingers (i.e. me).
« Last Edit: 01/13/2017 07:37 pm by Chris Bergin »
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline NSF Webmaster

• Administrator
  • Almere, The Netherlands
    • NASASpaceFlight.com
  • Liked: 219
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #4 on: 01/13/2017 07:40 pm »

The backbone (had no images, just boxes at this stage) for the phone version is a different layout that reminded me what the BBC site when viewed through a phone. So hard to describe without showing a graphic (which will be forthcoming), but I think you'll all be very pleased.

For instance, the top menu on the desktop news site is a drag down menu on the mobile version. Good for people with fat fingers (i.e. me).

Yeah the goal (at least for the news site) is to have a fully responsive design. The forum might come a bit later as that's a lot more work.

Mark

Offline pippin

• Regular
« Reply #5 on: 01/13/2017 07:40 pm »
Sounds good. For the forum I mainly use Tapatalk and I usually read on iPad and that's all fine right now but articles were not optimal in the old layout in such a setup (opening them in a browser window). So if they work well in the new rd sign that would really be great!

Offline pippin

• Regular
« Reply #6 on: 01/13/2017 07:41 pm »
@Mark; thumbs up. News site is the important part, there's still Tapatalk for the forum

Offline wes_wilson

• Armchair Rocketeer
  • Florida
    • Foundations IT, Inc.
  • Liked: 542
  • Likes Given: 377
« Reply #7 on: 01/14/2017 05:28 pm »
I like it!
@SpaceX "When can I buy my ticket to Mars?"

Online FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 81637
  • Likes Given: 36932
« Reply #8 on: 01/16/2017 08:59 am »
Yes, love the new design - very clean and professional. Also fantastic news about increased mobile support. I can't be the only one who accesses the site from my phone too much!

Dare I politely enquire about a possible/approximate, er, launch date for the new design?

Offline mtakala24

« Reply #9 on: 01/16/2017 12:17 pm »
Mobile support looks fantastic. I just hope that it will have all the features that the full site does, instead of just removing features to fit on the screen.

Offline Urx

• Liked: 16
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #10 on: 01/17/2017 07:08 pm »
Personally I find the existing logo more pleasing.

Is it OK to add wishes? If so: To me any sort of animation is highly distractive - and the current news page has two of these thingies: The changeing pictures (unacceptable -> removed via a rule to my adblocker) and the scroll line (barely acceptalbe). Showing them to L2 members is also useless. So for L2 members please either remove it or at least change the link from the L2 subscription page to the specific page that the particular image or headline is referring to.

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #11 on: 01/17/2017 07:12 pm »
Yep, suggestions welcome.

The L2 ticker is going. It's been removed from the forum and will be gone from the news site. L2 is too massive to accurately show what's in it, so it served its purpose back in the day.

Removing ads for L2 members doesn't work, as the site only sees you as L2 when logged in (the forum), plus our ads are industry related (like ATK, Novatech).

However, we will be doing better with the "random" ad, which is google. I would prefer Amazon Books (space books) or something where it's more tailored. The google ads have nothing to do with the site's content these days. That'll be changed.
« Last Edit: 01/17/2017 07:12 pm by Chris Bergin »

Offline Martin FL

• Elite Veteran
  • Liked: 137
  • Likes Given: 278
« Reply #12 on: 01/23/2017 01:33 pm »
Looks nice! When do we get it?

Offline catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8786
  • Likes Given: 7815
« Reply #13 on: 01/24/2017 04:53 am »
Looks nice! When do we get it?

Will all known it's soon when Chris moves this thread to the Live Event Section.  ;)
« Last Edit: 01/24/2017 04:53 am by catdlr »
Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline moralec

« Reply #14 on: 01/24/2017 03:57 pm »
This is great guys! Looking forward!

Offline mikelepage

• ExodusSpaceSystems.com
  • Perth, Australia
  • Liked: 855
  • Likes Given: 1358
« Reply #15 on: 03/15/2017 08:19 am »
Great work guys!  Looking forward to the update.

About that forum though.  ;) I can understand the reluctance to modify the forum because, even as sprawling as it is, I'm guessing it's one of the biggest "stickiness" factors for the website as is.

One approach that might be the most painless is to leave the basic structure as is, but make it much easier to find threads that allow users to discuss what they want to discuss.  This could be a two step procedure:
1) allow forum users/mods to tag threads with a number of pre-defined tags in a set number of categories (see below).
2) create a universal sort function at the top of the main thread page (or directly below the L2 section threads) that will allow users to filter for certain tags.

What categories?
Well the way I figure it, there's a relatively few (4?) themes with which you could categorise the threads in the forum to make it much easier to navigate:

1) By destination object (choose object Moon, Mars, Jupiter, all planetary bodies, etc) or region (LEO, GEO, LLO, SEL2, all orbital regions etc), or leave undefined.

2) By space agency (choose NASA, ESA, JAXA, all government agencies etc), or space company (SpaceX, ULA, Blue Origin, or all private companies, etc) or leave undefined.

3) By scientific objective (astrobiology, solar system/stellar observations, human space flight health, all scientific objectives, etc) or commercial objective (telecommunications, space tourism, asteroid mining, all commercial objectives, etc) or leave undefined.

4) By time period (for real-life historical, current day activities/news, future within planning horizon, far future, all time periods) or popular culture relevance (for polls, discussion of science fiction, and other uncategorised/uncategorisable but relevant material), or leave undefined.

So beside each thread would be an option to "tag this thread" which would give you a dialogue box with a set of 4 or 8 drop-downs: each of which contains a standard set of tags (one of which is a catch-all type tag) that the user base can go through the hundreds of threads in the forum and categorise all threads with relevant tags.

Then, using the filters on the main page is basically an advanced search function, showing you lists of threads as you would see within each section, but tagged with the tags you chose in the filters.

Hopefully makes sense... Good luck however you choose to tackle it.  :)
« Last Edit: 03/15/2017 08:52 am by mikelepage »

Offline Kasponaut

• Denmark
  • Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 83
« Reply #16 on: 03/15/2017 09:04 am »
When will this big update arrive? 😊

Offline TripD

• Peace
  • Liked: 851
  • Likes Given: 677
« Reply #17 on: 03/18/2017 01:26 am »
Me likes!  Simple, stylish and expresses the concept very well imho.

But, does it come with cup holders?

Offline topo334

• California
  • Liked: 40
  • Likes Given: 50
« Reply #18 on: 03/18/2017 01:38 am »
I particularly like the dog latin text simulation in the display example, which for some reason is known to layout artists as "greeking".

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #19 on: 03/18/2017 01:49 am »
When will this big update arrive? 😊

Probably needs a lot of testing, but this year for sure.

Me likes!  Simple, stylish and expresses the concept very well imho.

But, does it come with cup holders?

No, but it does have extra cowbell ;D

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography