Author Topic: LIVE: Delta IV-M+(5,4) - WGS-9 - March 18, 2017 (EDT)  (Read 61912 times)

Offline ZachS09

• Space Savant
  • Roanoke, TX
  • Liked: 2345
  • Likes Given: 2060
Re: LIVE: Delta IV-M+(5,4) - WGS-9 - March 18, 2017
« Reply #180 on: 03/19/2017 01:45 am »
Congrats to ULA, the U.S. Air Force, and the five participating international partners on the success of WGS-9.

I was going to help cover this launch, but I had to attend some sort of expo with my father, so I was out.
Liftoff for St. Jude's! Go Dragon, Go Falcon, Godspeed Inspiration4!

Offline marshal

• Liked: 14
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #181 on: 03/19/2017 02:41 am »
Congrats ULA! Nice Job !

;D

Offline FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 81684
  • Likes Given: 36941
« Reply #182 on: 03/19/2017 05:36 am »
John Kraus takes fantastic launch photos:

Closeup image I took of of the RS-68A engine and four GEM-60 SRBs on #DeltaIV launch of #WGS9. cc: @torybruno. Photo for @AmericaSpace

https://twitter.com/johnkrausphotos/status/843299763747479553

Long exposure photo I took of tonight’s stunning post-sunset launch of @ulalaunch #DeltaIV and #WGS9 satellite for @usairforce

https://twitter.com/johnkrausphotos/status/843256417427578880

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
« Reply #184 on: 03/19/2017 05:44 am »
45th Space Wing supports successful Delta IV WGS-9 launch
By 45th Space Wing Public Affairs / Published March 18, 2017

CAPE CANAVERAL AIR FORCE STATION, Fla.
The U.S. Air Force’s 45th Space Wing supported United Launch Alliance’s successful launch of the WGS-9 spacecraft aboard a ULA Delta IV rocket from Space Launch Complex 37 here March 18, 2017, at 8:18 p.m. ET.

The Air Force has been breaking barriers since 1947 and the successful WGS-9 launch marks an important occasion for the Wideband constellation as it is a major milestone in a 20-year multilateral partnership.

In January 2012, the United States, Canada, Denmark, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, and New Zealand signed a multilateral Memorandum of Understanding with the United States, agreeing to fund the procurement of the ninth WGS satellite. The U.S. is responsible for funding the launch, operation and sustainment of WGS-9. International partners will receive a proportional share of the bandwidth provided by the WGS constellation based on financial contribution.

The WGS constellation is the highest-capacity military communications system in the U.S. Department of Defense arsenal. WGS supports a wide variety of missions for Combatant Commanders around the world to perform missions, from search and rescue efforts to military operations.  Air Force Space Command's Space and Missile Systems Center is the Air Force's center for acquiring and developing military space systems.
The addition of WGS-9 to the constellation will increase speed, reliability, and effectiveness for the warfighter, which enables the U.S. and international partners to more efficiently coordinate on missions in the air, on land and by sea.

According to Brig. Gen. Wayne Monteith, 45th Space Wing commander and mission Launch Decision Authority, the fourth major launch operation on the Eastern Range this year, and second successful launch in just two and a half days, culminates many long hours and hard work by the entire mission team.

“Thanks to the amazing commitment, focus on the mission, and teamwork the men and women of the 45th Space Wing share with our mission partners at SMC and ULA, we successfully launched the next satellite in the WGS constellation,” he said. “This mission demonstrates the Air Force’s commitment to deliver secure and reliable satellite communications around the globe to U.S. forces and our allies.  It also once again showcases why the 45th Space Wing is the ‘World's Premiere Gateway to Space.’”

http://www.patrick.af.mil/News/Article-Display/Article/1123151/45th-space-wing-supports-successful-delta-iv-wgs-9-launch

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
« Reply #185 on: 03/19/2017 05:56 am »
A happy customer:

Thanks @ulalaunch @Boeingdefense @45thSpaceWing for helping us celebrate 70 yrs of USAF service to America with successful  #WGS9 launch

https://twitter.com/smc_cc/status/843277278092058624

Many congratulations to UKA and the US Air Force on yet another successful launch. Here's to many more to come.

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 3974
  • Likes Given: 220
« Reply #186 on: 03/19/2017 08:42 am »
Congratulations to all concerned.

Any word on the upper stage disposal being as this mission used a different final orbit to allow this I believe.

Online catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8823
  • Likes Given: 7826
« Reply #187 on: 03/19/2017 12:39 pm »
Delta IV WGS-9 Launch Highlights
United Launch Alliance

Published on Mar 18, 2017
A Delta IV rocket lifts off from Space Launch Complex-37 with the Air Force's ninth Wideband Global SATCOM satellite.

Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline ChrisGebhardt

• Assistant Managing Editor
  • ad astra scientia
  • ~1 AU
  • Liked: 7877
  • Likes Given: 853
« Reply #188 on: 03/19/2017 03:30 pm »
Last night after the launch, General Monteith of the 45th Space Wing came to speak to the press.  I asked him about the 30min delay.  This was his answer.

“The short delay we had today was because of an anomaly detected on the swing arm.  One sensor, when we were retracting the pins that would allow the gantry to move back, demonstrated an anomaly.  We went through it, made sure we understood what the anomaly was, pulled the pins again, and the anomaly did not recreate itself.  And that suggested to us that we were absolutely safe to launch.  And so we determined a new T0 and pressed forward.”  --General Monteith

Offline ChrisGebhardt

• ad astra scientia
  • ~1 AU
Re: LIVE: Delta IV-M+(5,4) - WGS-9 - March 18, 2017 (EDT)
« Reply #189 on: 03/19/2017 08:09 pm »
A few shots from last night's launch.

(NOTE: I'm not a photographer, so the fact the rocket was in frame is a success.)
« Last Edit: 03/19/2017 08:12 pm by ChrisGebhardt »

Offline ChrisGebhardt

• ad astra scientia
  • ~1 AU
« Reply #190 on: 03/19/2017 08:11 pm »
And one more of the ascent.
« Last Edit: 03/19/2017 08:11 pm by ChrisGebhardt »

Online launchwatcher

• Liked: 726
  • Likes Given: 988
« Reply #191 on: 03/19/2017 08:36 pm »

Closeup image I took of of the RS-68A engine and four GEM-60 SRBs on #DeltaIV launch of #WGS9. cc: @torybruno. Photo for @AmericaSpace

Looking at the big copy on johnkrausphotos.com, I noticed that some of the SRB's have a collar of sorts extending down around the nozzle, and others don't.   Is that by design or did something fall off?

Offline ChrisGebhardt

• ad astra scientia
  • ~1 AU
« Reply #192 on: 03/19/2017 08:42 pm »

Looking at the big copy on johnkrausphotos.com, I noticed that some of the SRB's have a collar of sorts extending down around the nozzle, and others don't.   Is that by design or did something fall off?

They recently changed the design of the SRBs for the Delta IV. Some are steerable, others are not. That's the difference you're seeing in the design.

Online catdlr

« Reply #193 on: 03/19/2017 10:40 pm »
a video from our friends at US Launch Report...

WGS-9 - 4K Launch - Delta IV 5-4 03-18-2018

USLaunchReport

Published on Mar 19, 2017
Hope you can view the 4K. We post the entire flight until over the horizon. ULA does not. The second stage is hundreds of miles across the Atlantic in Space. The ability to track a Florida Launch for this length is rare. Thousands of people watching all around the Cape.

Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Online catdlr

« Reply #194 on: 03/19/2017 10:47 pm »
ULA's Anton Kolomiets discusses Delta IV's DCSS in SFI exclusive

SpaceFlight Insider - Official Page

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. -- United Launch Alliance Mechanical Engineer AntonKolomiets spoke with SpaceFlight Insider regarding the March 18, 2017, flight of a Delta IV Medium+ 5,4 rocket and its payload of the ninth Wideband Global SATCOM (WGS-9) satellite that it carried. More specifically, Kolomiets discussed the Delta IV's Delta Cryogenic Second Stage (DCSS).

Online catdlr

« Reply #195 on: 03/19/2017 10:49 pm »
REMOTE CAMERA VIDEO - ULA Delta IV Blasts Off With WGS-9 For The Air Force

Matthew Travis

REMOTE CAMERA VIDEO - ULA Delta IV Blasts Off With WGS-9 For The Air Force

Offline Sam Ho

• Liked: 580
  • Likes Given: 71
« Reply #196 on: 03/20/2017 05:08 am »
Clip from 12 hours of Sebring coverage. Also mentioned on Jalopnik.

http://blackflag.jalopnik.com/watch-a-424-million-military-satellite-launch-over-the-1793410864

Online jacqmans

• Global Moderator
  • Houten, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 8564
  • Likes Given: 320
« Reply #197 on: 03/20/2017 05:10 pm »
Orbital ATK Technologies Support Delta IV Launch of WGS-9 Spacecraft

Company Provided Propulsion, Large Composite Structures for the Rocket and Critical Components on the Satellite

(Dulles, Virginia 20 March 2017) – Orbital ATK (NYSE: OA), a global leader in aerospace and defense technologies, provided propulsion, composite and spacecraft technologies to enable the successful launch of both the United Launch Alliance (ULA) Delta IV rocket and the ninth Wideband Global SATCOM (WGS-9) satellite that was launched Saturday from Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Florida.

“Orbital ATK’s is proud to contribute a number of key technologies to ULA’s Delta IV launch vehicle,” said Scott Lehr, President of Orbital ATK’s Flight Systems Group. “A launch like this one clearly demonstrates the breadth of our product lines in the launch and satellite sectors.”

Both the satellite and Delta IV launch vehicle use cutting-edge technologies from multiple Orbital ATK facilities. For the WGS-9 satellite, Orbital ATK produced both loop heat pipes and standard heat pipes, which provide payload, spacecraft bus and battery thermal management, at its Beltsville, Maryland, facility. Additionally, Orbital ATK manufactured the payload pallet boom tubes at its Magna, Utah, location and the payload module at its San Diego, California, site.

For the Delta IV rocket, Orbital ATK provided four 60-inch diameter Graphite Epoxy Motors (GEM-60). The 53-foot-long solid rocket boosters burned for 90 seconds and provided more than 1.1 million pounds of thrust, more than the combined thrust of four 747 jet aircraft. Orbital ATK produced the solid rocket motors at its Magna, Utah, facility, where it has manufactured 84 GEM-60s in support of the 36 Delta IV launches since the initial flight in 2002.

In addition to the GEM-60 propulsion, Orbital ATK supplied a combined eighteen Delta IV and GEM-60 key composite structures, which provide lower weight and higher performance. The largest composite structures are five meters in diameter, range from one to fourteen meters in length, and are produced using either advanced wet winding or hand layup, machining and inspection techniques at Orbital ATK’s manufacturing facilities in Iuka, Mississippi, and Clearfield, Utah.

Orbital ATK also manufactured the propellant tank for the Delta IV upper stage roll control system at the company’s Commerce, California, facility, and it designed and manufactured the nozzles for Delta IV's RS-68A liquid engine and GEM-60 solid motors at its Promontory, Utah, facility. Orbital ATK also designed and produced the nozzle's thermal protection material, which is capable of shielding the nozzle from the extreme heat of launch, when external temperatures can exceed 4,000 degrees Fahrenheit.

The WGS-9 satellite is part of a larger system that increases military communications capabilities for U.S. and allied forces deployed worldwide. As the backbone of the U.S. military's global satellite communications, WGS provides flexible, high-capacity communications for the Nation's warfighters through procurement and operation of the satellite constellation and the associated control systems. WGS provides worldwide flexible, high data rate and long haul communications for marines, soldiers, sailors, airmen, the White House Communication Agency, the US State Department, international partners, and other special users.
Jacques :-)

Online catdlr

« Reply #198 on: 03/20/2017 09:07 pm »
Aerial Views of Delta IV WGS-9

United Launch Alliance

Published on Mar 20, 2017

Online jacqmans

• Global Moderator
  • Houten, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 8564
  • Likes Given: 320
« Reply #199 on: 03/21/2017 11:19 am »
Ninth Boeing-Built Wideband Global SATCOM Satellite to Expand Military Communications Capabilities for U.S., Allies

The communications satellite will increase interoperability among the United States, Australia, Canada, Denmark, Luxembourg, the Netherlands and New Zealand

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla., March 18, 2017 – Boeing’s [NYSE: BA] ninth Wideband Global SATCOM (WGS) satellite launched into orbit today and will provide the United States and six allied nations with increased communications capabilities to prevent, protect against and respond to attacks.

The WGS-9 satellite was funded through an agreement between the United States and Canada, Denmark, Luxembourg, the Netherlands and New Zealand, and will also serve Australia (which funded the WGS-6 satellite). Each partner country gains access to the capabilities provided by the full WGS system, which include flexible and secure communication transmissions in the X- and Ka-band frequencies.

“This unique international collaboration increases military interoperability and expands affordable high-data-rate communications for U.S. and allied partners around the globe,” said Rico Attanasio, executive director, Boeing Department of Defense/Civil Satellite Programs. “WGS-9 is among the most capable military communication satellites on orbit today.”

WGS-9 launched on a United Launch Alliance Delta IV rocket. Boeing is on contract for 10 WGS satellites, the last of which is tentatively scheduled for launch in 2018.

The eighth, ninth and tenth WGS satellites include upgraded digital channelizers that nearly double the available bandwidth of earlier satellites in the series.

A Boeing video about WGS’s anti-jam capabilities is available at www.boeing.com/features/2016/11/innovation-wgs-11-16.page.
Jacques :-)

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography