Author Topic: Meteor Shower in Norway  (Read 2453 times)

Offline spacenut

• East Alabama
  • Liked: 2587
  • Likes Given: 2895
Meteor Shower in Norway
« on: 12/07/2016 02:36 am »
Does anyone know about the meteor shower in Norway.  Someone on YouTube posted an exploding meteor over Norway that lit up the sky like daylight.  My wife got it on her phone, so I don't know what connection to show it.  Can it be verified?  Guy said it was a huge object. 

Online AnalogMan

• Cambridge, UK
  • Liked: 1599
  • Likes Given: 50

Offline Eric Hedman

• The birthplace of the solid body electric guitar
  • Liked: 1953
  • Likes Given: 1142
Re: Meteor Shower in Norway
« Reply #2 on: 02/07/2017 03:37 am »
It's not worth another thread, but there was a similar fireball over Wisconsin at 1:30 AM this morning.  I was up, but didn't see it.  I did hear right at the time a short burst of what sounded like metallic bangs.  I opened my window to see if I could hear anything more, but did not.  A friend of mine heard the same thing about 20 kilometers away at the same time.

https://phys.org/news/2017-02-meteor-lake-michigan-sky-states.html

Online catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8779
  • Likes Given: 7815
« Reply #3 on: 02/07/2017 03:44 am »
Here is the trajectory of that meteor and a few news videos:

Major fireball Northwest of Chicago, Feb 6, 2017

NASA's Marshall Center
Published on Feb 6, 2017

There was a very bright green fireball seen by hundreds of eyewitnesses surrounding Lake Michigan early this morning at 1:25:13 AM Central Time (2017 February 6 7:25:13 UTC). The reports from these individuals and the video information from dash cameras and other cameras in the region indicate that the meteor originated 62 miles above West Bend, Wisconsin and moved northeast at about 38,000 miles per hour. It disrupted about 21 miles above Lake Michigan, approximately 9 miles east of the town of Newton. The explosive force of this disruption was recorded on an infrasound station in Manitoba, some 600 miles away - these data put the lower limit energy of the event at about 10 tons of TNT, which means we are dealing with a meteoroid - orbit indicates an asteroidal fragment - weighing at least 600 pounds and 2 feet in diameter. Doppler weather radar picked up fragments (meteorites) falling into Lake Michigan near the end point of the trajectory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-apyBu1ZxY?t+?t=001

« Last Edit: 02/07/2017 03:44 am by catdlr »
Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline Eric Hedman

« Reply #4 on: 02/07/2017 04:09 am »
That path is right over where I live.  It was a sound that reminded me of a turret punch rapidly punching through quarter inch plate.  I wonder if it fragmented and had a quick burst of explosions.

Offline RotoSequence

• Liked: 2068
  • Likes Given: 1535
« Reply #5 on: 02/07/2017 04:59 am »
That path is right over where I live.  It was a sound that reminded me of a turret punch rapidly punching through quarter inch plate.  I wonder if it fragmented and had a quick burst of explosions.

Like the Chelyabinsk meteor?

Offline Eric Hedman

« Reply #6 on: 02/13/2017 05:00 am »

Like the Chelyabinsk meteor?
That would be my guess too.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography