Author Topic: Bigelow Calls on Trump to Sharply Increase NASA Spending  (Read 5020 times)

Offline sanman

• Liked: 1312
  • Likes Given: 8
Robert Bigelow has called upon the new Trump administration to sharply increase NASA's funding:

http://www.space.com/34767-trump-should-boost-nasa-funding-bigleow-says.html

http://www.morningnewsusa.com/moon-not-mars-nasa-demands-money-lunar-exploration-23123475.html

http://www.natureworldnews.com/articles/32242/20161118/bigelow-aerospace-founder-trump-doubling-nasa-funding-good-nation.htm

He specifically wants more budgetary outlay for lunar exploration.

In his speech at the Spacecom conference last November 17, the founder of commercial space habitat developer Bigelow Aerospace said, "I propose that NASA should have, beginning in fiscal year 2019, an annual budget equal to at least one percent of total yearly federal spending."

According to Bigelow, increasing NASA's funding will be beneficial, supporting not only the space agency's space exploration efforts and business plans of commercial ventures, but also addressing the inefficiencies of select NASA programs. "It is no surprise that NASA needs a greater allowance just to offset the politics, much less what's needed to really get going," he said.

Bigelow added the new White House should put into priority the nation's space future, putting emphasis on lunar bases and industrial activity. "The reason I'm focusing on the moon is because the business case for the moon is potentially substantial compared to the business case for Mars, and the financial requirements are of no comparison," Space News reports.

Could this lead to a Bigelow moonbase?

Offline redliox

• Illinois USA
  • Liked: 683
  • Likes Given: 97
Re: Bigelow Calls on Trump to Sharply Increase NASA Spending
« Reply #1 on: 11/19/2016 07:27 am »

Doubtful, but it would be Bigelow's dream-come-true (and not necessarily a bad idea).  It's just premature right now, although trying to get Trump's attention (in a good way) isn't a bad idea.  Nobody can guess what Trump will do (which is partially why everyone's hysterical, and we're not even getting into ethics [which I won't touch to keep things on topic]).

If, either by Congress' or the President's whim, NASA's budget is significantly increased I'd enjoy seeing a Moonbase, and likewise a Mars expedition and continued expeditions by probes.  For the moment I'm assuming things "relatively-stay-the-course," i.e. Orion, E-Clipper eventually happen without wormholes, surprised whales, or petunias appearing spontaneously.
"Let the trails lead where they may, I will follow."
-Tigatron

Offline sanman

• Liked: 1312
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #2 on: 11/19/2016 08:54 am »
Bigelow's an old-economy guy like Trump, but who made his leap of faith to new-economy with Bigelow Aerospace.

Since Bigelow made his fortunes in Las Vegas real estate development, I was wondering if he might have crossed business paths with Trump in the past somehow - ie. if they know each other or have met before.

Bigelow isn't a real aerospace man, and could probably speak from a perspective that Trump would understand - ie. spaceflight is just the means to get someplace which has something you want. Ironically, Las Vegas itself was built from scratch out of an empty desert.

But why is Bigelow specifically making his pitch in connection with NASA? The rumors I've heard is that the new Trump administration is inclined towards Public-Private Partnership, which is now the cheaper/faster/better way to fly. Why wouldn't Bigelow feel that way too? What advantage does mentioning NASA bring? Or is this just the idea that a rising tide will lift all boats?

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 3974
  • Likes Given: 220
« Reply #3 on: 11/19/2016 10:20 am »
Bigelow's an old-economy guy like Trump, but who made his leap of faith to new-economy with Bigelow Aerospace.

Since Bigelow made his fortunes in Las Vegas real estate development, I was wondering if he might have crossed business paths with Trump in the past somehow - ie. if they know each other or have met before.

Bigelow isn't a real aerospace man, and could probably speak from a perspective that Trump would understand - ie. spaceflight is just the means to get someplace which has something you want. Ironically, Las Vegas itself was built from scratch out of an empty desert.

But why is Bigelow specifically making his pitch in connection with NASA? The rumors I've heard is that the new Trump administration is inclined towards Public-Private Partnership, which is now the cheaper/faster/better way to fly. Why wouldn't Bigelow feel that way too? What advantage does mentioning NASA bring? Or is this just the idea that a rising tide will lift all boats?

Completely agree. If anyone is going to be speaking Trump's language in new space it's going to be Bigelow.

Offline A_M_Swallow

• Elite Veteran
  • South coast of England
  • Liked: 500
  • Likes Given: 223
« Reply #4 on: 11/20/2016 12:41 am »
{snip}

In a Public-Private Partnership involving space NASA would be the Public side. See COTS and CRS.

Offline Prober

• Save the spin....I'm keeping you honest!
  • Nevada
  • Liked: 721
  • Likes Given: 729
« Reply #5 on: 11/20/2016 08:32 pm »

Doubtful, but it would be Bigelow's dream-come-true (and not necessarily a bad idea).  It's just premature right now, although trying to get Trump's attention (in a good way) isn't a bad idea.  Nobody can guess what Trump will do (which is partially why everyone's hysterical, and we're not even getting into ethics [which I won't touch to keep things on topic]).

If, either by Congress' or the President's whim, NASA's budget is significantly increased I'd enjoy seeing a Moonbase, and likewise a Mars expedition and continued expeditions by probes.  For the moment I'm assuming things "relatively-stay-the-course," i.e. Orion, E-Clipper eventually happen without wormholes, surprised whales, or petunias appearing spontaneously.

Well I live in Vegas and the tourist balloon project has gone no where for 8 years (just talk).  The millionaires and Billionaires are still in town each week so where's the space tourist business ?

2017 - Everything Old is New Again.
"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant..." --Isoroku Yamamoto

Online Coastal Ron

• I live... along the coast
  • Liked: 10199
  • Likes Given: 11934
« Reply #6 on: 11/20/2016 08:44 pm »
Well I live in Vegas and the tourist balloon project has gone no where for 8 years (just talk).  The millionaires and Billionaires are still in town each week so where's the space tourist business ?

Bigelow has never targeted space tourism, his clients are nation-states that want to experience being in space for a far less cost than having to create their own indigenous space industry.

And the reason why he hasn't launched this part of the business yet is well known - he has been waiting for two NASA-certifed commercial crew transportation services to be available to support his business.  And as you know that hasn't happened yet.  So no mystery here.

As far as his comments about the new Administration, and what it's goals should be, if there was a return to the Moon, or even some sort of space habitat authorized near the Moon (or anywhere), Bigelow stands a chance of winning some of that government business.  So I wouldn't say Robert Bigelow is being non-partial here - he hopes to profit off of potential Trump space goals.

And there is nothing wrong with that, but just that we have to remember what everyones motivations are...
If we don't continuously lower the cost to access space, how are we ever going to afford to expand humanity out into space?

Offline Prober

• Save the spin....I'm keeping you honest!
  • Nevada
  • Liked: 721
  • Likes Given: 729
« Reply #7 on: 11/20/2016 11:56 pm »

Bigelow has never targeted space tourism, his clients are nation-states that want to experience being in space for a far less cost than having to create their own indigenous space industry.

And the reason why he hasn't launched this part of the business yet is well known - he has been waiting for two NASA-certifed commercial crew transportation services to be available to support his business.  And as you know that hasn't happened yet.  So no mystery here.

As far as his comments about the new Administration, and what it's goals should be, if there was a return to the Moon, or even some sort of space habitat authorized near the Moon (or anywhere), Bigelow stands a chance of winning some of that government business.  So I wouldn't say Robert Bigelow is being non-partial here - he hopes to profit off of potential Trump space goals.

And there is nothing wrong with that, but just that we have to remember what everyones motivations are...

interesting, don't know how the nation-states issues and conflicts with ITAR get worked out, or have they?

Back to tourist space: Cirque du Soleil has new cash coming back in, and he's not getting any younger. Don't know if any clean up with Russia will happen but he will want that talked about Lunar fly by.  So Boeing, SpaceX, Blue are you listening?
2017 - Everything Old is New Again.
"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant..." --Isoroku Yamamoto

Online Coastal Ron

• I live... along the coast
  • Liked: 10199
  • Likes Given: 11934
« Reply #8 on: 11/21/2016 03:52 am »
interesting, don't know how the nation-states issues and conflicts with ITAR get worked out, or have they?

What ITAR issues?  The Bigelow stations are big balloons, not rockets.  Far less concerns...

Back to tourist space: Cirque du Soleil has new cash coming back in, and he's not getting any younger. Don't know if any clean up with Russia will happen but he will want that talked about Lunar fly by.  So Boeing, SpaceX, Blue are you listening?

In the travel sector space tourism would be part of the "experiential travel" segment.  Even here on Earth it's highly fragmented and not a significant part of the market at this point - and the price point for doing things here on Earth is dramatically less than for anything that would be done in space.

I've said this before, but tourism is usually something that develops after civilization in an area has been established, either through colonies or companies setting up operations.  Otherwise the overhead to take care of the tourists is too high.  And taking care of any human, regardless why they are in space, is already very expensive and time intensive, meaning it's not the right time for space tourism yet.
If we don't continuously lower the cost to access space, how are we ever going to afford to expand humanity out into space?

Online Blackstar

• Veteran
  • Liked: 7827
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #9 on: 11/21/2016 01:01 pm »
What ITAR issues?  The Bigelow stations are big balloons, not rockets.  Far less concerns...

ITAR applies to more than just rockets.

Offline RonM

• Atlanta, Georgia USA
  • Liked: 2231
  • Likes Given: 1584
« Reply #10 on: 11/21/2016 01:42 pm »

ITAR applies to more than just rockets.

Wouldn't ITAR only be an issue if Bigelow sold the modules to foreign organizations? Bigelow or NASA ownership with at least one American astronaut onboard shouldn't be a problem.

Online Blackstar

• Veteran
  • Liked: 7827
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #11 on: 11/21/2016 03:46 pm »
ITAR shows up in all kinds of ways, sometimes when you least expect it.

Assume that a foreign country wants to buy a trip to a Bigelow space station--not even own it, simply visit. They are probably going to want certain data about that, if only to reassure themselves that it is safe and their astronaut is not in danger. They will be limited in what data they can receive because of ITAR.

But I have also always thought that Bigelow's nation-states customers concept is very dubious. The problem is that countries don't simply want to access space, they want their industry and their education systems to directly benefit from that. They don't want to simply give money to a foreign company and then fly in space, because they don't get a lot out of that. That's true for lots of activities beyond space, like aircraft purchases--countries are more likely to purchase aircraft if they get some of the contracts to build them in the first place.

Offline bad_astra

• Liked: 316
  • Likes Given: 553
« Reply #12 on: 12/20/2016 05:53 pm »

Bigelow isn't a real aerospace man,

Exactly how many inflatable modules do you have to have in orbit to be considered a real aerospace man? 4?
"Contact Light" -Buzz Aldrin

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography