Author Topic: LIFE: Official Trailer  (Read 8376 times)

Offline Archibald

• Liked: 500
  • Likes Given: 1096
Re: LIFE: Official Trailer
« Reply #20 on: 03/13/2017 06:30 pm »
Anybody reminds this ?
https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=22690.0

I wonder if the movie makers ever heard of the Anthaeus report
https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=22690.0;attach=244282;sess=11061

Still, it would make for a great science fiction short story when the bugs escape and turn everybody on the space station into zombies:  "Houston, BRAINS!  Over."

;)
« Last Edit: 03/13/2017 06:32 pm by Archibald »
Han shot first and Gwynne Shotwell !

Offline Dalhousie

• Liked: 780
  • Likes Given: 1131
« Reply #21 on: 03/13/2017 10:32 pm »
It's called 'atmospheric lighting'. Which is odd because The Andromeda Strain proved that you can do 'dramatic' with painfully bright laboratory-level lighting.

Of course!  Here I was thinking it was sloppy use of cliched images  ;D

It's up there with brilliantly lit helmet interiors and sound in space.

I wonder which was the first movie to introduce this?  Alien? Outland? 2010 certainly had dimly limit interiors.
Apologies in advance for any lack of civility - it's unintended

Offline Dalhousie

« Reply #22 on: 03/13/2017 10:33 pm »
I have long thought that you could do a parody of those TV tropes. For instance, have the cops in the super-modern police station marvel at how great and high-tech everything looked, then wander into the morgue and have a coroner cursing how dark it was in there. "How am I expected to do an autopsy in this low light?!" he'd yell, and curse that the lights could not be made brighter.

I'd watch that!

Offline LM13

• Where the skies are so blue...
  • Liked: 59
  • Likes Given: 73
« Reply #23 on: 03/22/2017 11:03 am »
I have long thought that you could do a parody of those TV tropes. For instance, have the cops in the super-modern police station marvel at how great and high-tech everything looked, then wander into the morgue and have a coroner cursing how dark it was in there. "How am I expected to do an autopsy in this low light?!" he'd yell, and curse that the lights could not be made brighter.

Didn't they do something like that in one of the Star Trek movies, with 'emergency lighting' on the Bridge going very dim and Kirk calling that a dumb idea?

Offline Falcon H

• Liked: 108
  • Likes Given: 232
« Reply #24 on: 03/22/2017 04:32 pm »
Why does every space movie nowadays have to leave the audience saying "I'm sure glad I'm not an astronaut!"

Ugh.

Offline collectSPACE

• The Source for Space History & Artifacts
  • Houston, TX
    • collectSPACE
  • Liked: 287
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #25 on: 03/23/2017 08:45 pm »
'LIFE' on the space station: Stars, director talk about recreating ISS in sci-fi thriller
http://www.collectspace.com/news/news-032317a-life-movie-space-station.html

Daniel Espinosa believes NASA might forbid his new movie "LIFE" — which takes place on board the International Space Station — from being screened by the astronauts living aboard the real orbital outpost.

"I think it would give them a bit of nightmares!" the director said. "I would love that to happen, though."

Offline Dalhousie

« Reply #26 on: 03/23/2017 09:37 pm »
Why does every space movie nowadays have to leave the audience saying "I'm sure glad I'm not an astronaut!"

Ugh.

Much like every future has to be a dystopia. Because people prefer darkness to light.  Because, as as a friend of mine aid who writes SF, it's easier to write (and presumably sell)

Offline collectSPACE

• The Source for Space History & Artifacts
  • Houston, TX
    • collectSPACE
  • Liked: 287
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #27 on: 03/24/2017 03:52 pm »
'LIFE' imitating life off Earth: Space Station history 'easter eggs' in sci-fi thriller
http://www.collectspace.com/news/news-032417a-life-movie-easter-eggs-space-history.html

In space, everyone can see your homages.

"LIFE," Sony Pictures' new science fiction thriller featuring Jake Gyllenhaal, Rebecca Ferguson and Ryan Reynolds, has been described as a modern day "Alien" set on board the International Space Station. The movie, which opened in theaters on Friday (March 24), follows a space crew as they encounter an emerging life form, not unlike the basic plot of the 1979 Ridley Scott classic.

And that's not by accident.

Offline Dalhousie

« Reply #28 on: 03/31/2017 05:54 am »
The fictional NASA in Life is run by a bunch of psychopaths and idiots

http://www.theverge.com/2017/3/25/15047980/life-movie-space-science-iss-nasa-jake-gyllenhaal

Offline Dalhousie

« Reply #29 on: 03/31/2017 05:56 am »

Ugh.

Apropos to that, here is a comment by a real astronaut. 

http://motto.time.com/4716473/hollywood-misconceptions-about-female-astronauts-space/

Applies to male astronauts too I think

Offline Veronica

• Sweden
  • Liked: 7
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #30 on: 04/05/2017 01:25 pm »
I saw this movie only a few days ago. **Spoilers Below*

The beginning was very good. Very awe inspiring and fascinating that they were on the ISS.
But then they manage to revive or create a new life form from Mars. What stumps me is that Doctor Hugh, he right away assumes it's friendly. He tries to pet it like it's a dog or something. I'm like "what? o.O What are you doing!" And later they kind of dismiss giving it food of any kind. It is still a living organism. It has to eat something. No surprise really that it eats flesh since that's what most creatures on Earth do. But then again this fella is from Mars, so can't really compare it to a carnivore from here.

Anyways, just bugs me so much that he pets it. I'm like "nooo! Dx" You have no idea if it's naturally aggressive. And then later their surprised that it attacks. It was sleeping, or hibernating. Then you poke it with an electric wand. Like are you kidding me? If this creature has any form of intelligence, which I must say it demonstrates later in the movie. It sure isn't going to like being poked with an electric wand. Alright that's assuming it actually felt pain when being poked. Many assumptions flying around. I just got to say that guy Hugh is just plain stupid. So many basic safety precautions dismissed for no apparent reason. What does Calvin look so cute he/she/it couldn't possibly cause any harm? Pah, so wrong about that.
Nothing Is Impossible

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography