Author Topic: LIFE: Official Trailer  (Read 8375 times)

Offline SgtPoivre

• Paris - France
  • Liked: 19
  • Likes Given: 0
LIFE: Official Trailer
« on: 11/01/2016 08:05 am »
From the trailer it looks like an Alien movie set in the ISS...

Offline slavvy

• Netherlands
  • Liked: 14
  • Likes Given: 33
Re: LIFE: Official Trailer
« Reply #1 on: 11/01/2016 08:28 am »
A very Hollywood-ized ISS. Cupola is three times its real size, and all the charming clutter of the ISS interior is polished away...Why is it so difficult to show things as they really look like?... Reminds me of my first visit to USA and seeing that actual US people looked very different from what I've been shown in movies...

Online catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8784
  • Likes Given: 7815
« Reply #2 on: 11/02/2016 03:10 am »
this is being covered by this poster:  http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=41540.0
Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 4548
  • Likes Given: 13523
« Reply #3 on: 01/26/2017 09:16 pm »
Saw this trailer at the theater today... Eye candy!! 8)

"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator

Offline Ben the Space Brit

• A spaceflight fan
  • London, UK
  • Liked: 806
  • Likes Given: 900
« Reply #4 on: 01/27/2017 10:03 am »
Okay, so I'm seeing the original Alien rebooted on the ISS? Yeah, plausible because the ISS and its biology lab (which is on Columbus, IIRC) is probably the single best isolation lab possible for a xenobiology investigation.

The bit with them using DEXTRE to capture an out-of-control ARM sample return pod (because that is definitely what that looked like) was a wonderful part of Hollywood reality; I don't think that there's any bit of RL telerobotics that could react that fast! That said, I strongly advise against using a flame-thrower in a spacecraft with an oxygen-rich environment as well as using a rivet gun around pressurised modules.

But I commit the crime of treating a popcorn movie as a documentary, which is bad form. ;)
"Oops! I left the silly thing in reverse!" - Duck Dodgers

~*~*~*~

The Space Shuttle Program - 1981-2011

The time for words has passed; The time has come to put up or shut up!
DON'T PROPAGANDISE, FLY!!!

Offline Blackstar

• Veteran
  • Liked: 7822
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #5 on: 01/27/2017 02:43 pm »
Okay, so I'm seeing the original Alien rebooted on the ISS? Yeah, plausible because the ISS and its biology lab (which is on Columbus, IIRC) is probably the single best isolation lab possible for a xenobiology investigation.

I'm assuming that you are being sarcastic here. But if you aren't, I'd point out that using a space station for examining returned planetary samples is an idea that some people have proposed before:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/4700190_The_Antaeus_Project_-_An_orbital_quarantine_facility_for_analysis_of_planetary_return_samples

It turns out to be a remarkably bad idea for lots of reasons. One of the big problems is that all of our knowledge and equipment for containing samples is based upon Earth gravity. We have many decades of expertise built up for biohazard containment. It includes things like if you break a beaker, you know that the pieces will fall to the table or the floor, making it easy to pick them up, and limiting the contamination to a single surface. Now imagine breaking a beaker in a zero-g environment: all the pieces float around and the material is now in the air and contaminating multiple surfaces.

Add to that the fact that the equipment you want to use is heavy and some of it (like cyclotrons) is massive. You cannot put that on a space station, so that limits your ability to actually analyze the samples.

It's just a bad idea, quite possibly unworkable.

Online eric z

• Liked: 475
  • Likes Given: 2127
« Reply #6 on: 01/27/2017 03:12 pm »
 Moon Base! You'd have some gravity; isolation would be easier; etc.  Great place for physics-stuff, too - let alone astronomy.

Offline Blackstar

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: 01/27/2017 03:17 pm »
Moon Base! You'd have some gravity; isolation would be easier; etc.  Great place for physics-stuff, too - let alone astronomy.

Cyclotrons weigh several thousand tons. Wanna take one of those to a Moon base?

Offline Rocket Science

« Reply #8 on: 01/27/2017 03:30 pm »
You can do other tests such as X-ray fluorescence... Cyclotrons, which I have utilized is but one method of analysis...

Offline Blackstar

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: 01/27/2017 03:36 pm »
You can do other tests such as X-ray fluorescence... Cyclotrons, which I have utilized is but one method of analysis...

My general point is that the technology for doing the analysis is on Earth. If you decide to do the analysis off-Earth, you either have to move most/much of that technology off-Earth, or you have to accept lower quality analysis. That's why it makes no sense. That's why it's a bad idea. That's why nobody who works on planetary protection issues takes it seriously.

Offline Rocket Science

« Reply #10 on: 01/27/2017 03:52 pm »

My general point is that the technology for doing the analysis is on Earth. If you decide to do the analysis off-Earth, you either have to move most/much of that technology off-Earth, or you have to accept lower quality analysis. That's why it makes no sense. That's why it's a bad idea. That's why nobody who works on planetary protection issues takes it seriously.
The fidelity of the test will always be a constraint for the amount of equipment that needs to be rad hardened. OTOH I haven't totally heard it being ruled out as of yet...

Offline OV135

• Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #11 on: 02/20/2017 08:44 pm »
The new trailer is now out and you kind of see what this thing is chasing the crew via a tentacle covering one of the pods Hiroyuki Sanada is hiding in.

Offline Archibald

• Liked: 500
  • Likes Given: 1096
« Reply #12 on: 02/21/2017 11:16 am »
Another movie that destroys the ISS. Bah. why so much hate against that unfortunate space station ?
Han shot first and Gwynne Shotwell !

• A spaceflight fan
  • London, UK
« Reply #13 on: 02/21/2017 11:28 am »
@Archibald,

Modern Hollywood always climaxes with the destruction of easily-recognisable landmarks. The ISS is the only one in space although I got the impression that the original Independence Day was toying with doing that to Tranquillity Base.

~*~*~*~

Offline Blackstar

• Veteran
« Reply #14 on: 03/03/2017 04:26 pm »
There's a new trailer and in this one the scientist is less stupid. He's not sticking his finger into the alien goo when it attacks him. You see that his hand is farther away and it reaches out and grabs him. I think there's also a line about how the alien being is rapidly reproducing muscle tissue, so it becomes mobile very quickly.

[Edited: I meant "alien goo"]
« Last Edit: 03/04/2017 06:55 pm by Blackstar »

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #15 on: 03/04/2017 05:32 pm »
Just seen this trailer at half time for the Liverpool vs Arsenal game (which means they spent a bunch of cash on marketing).
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline OV135

• Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #16 on: 03/12/2017 11:11 pm »
New trailer. 

Offline Dalhousie

• Liked: 780
  • Likes Given: 1131
« Reply #17 on: 03/12/2017 11:17 pm »
Another movie that assumes that everything in space is badly lit. 
Apologies in advance for any lack of civility - it's unintended

• A spaceflight fan
  • London, UK
« Reply #18 on: 03/13/2017 09:07 am »
It's called 'atmospheric lighting'. Which is odd because The Andromeda Strain proved that you can do 'dramatic' with painfully bright laboratory-level lighting.

~*~*~*~

Offline Blackstar

• Veteran
« Reply #19 on: 03/13/2017 04:03 pm »
I have long thought that you could do a parody of those TV tropes. For instance, have the cops in the super-modern police station marvel at how great and high-tech everything looked, then wander into the morgue and have a coroner cursing how dark it was in there. "How am I expected to do an autopsy in this low light?!" he'd yell, and curse that the lights could not be made brighter.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography