Author Topic: NSF 2017: Article Presentation Improvements - done and being programmed  (Read 23122 times)

Offline Chris Bergin

A number of posts before we get into options.

Suggestion:

I would suggest a way to have bigger pictures in news articles. Ie, have the thumbnails, in the normal article, but have some 'click to enlarge' or something. That way, renders and informative images are way, way easiert to see, and the visual element can help images; you could have text like 'as can be seen in the image to the left, damage to the interstage of this F9 was a bit heavier then expected; sources tell us it might be replaced'
Or- actually showing something that is talked about, ie the connection point for the SLS booster being given a new paintjob.

Tldr; bigger images in the news section.

How it currently should appear to readers (I did extend the browser window, so I can appreciate it will vary depending on the browser.  Screenshot some of the key areas for reasons that will be noted below.
« Last Edit: 09/26/2017 01:28 pm by Chris Bergin »
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Chris Bergin

Re: NSF 2017: Article Presentation Improvements
« Reply #1 on: 08/14/2016 10:36 pm »
Here's what I work with, Wordpress CMS. It's great, but I bet we can use more options. I've only screenshot part, for the solution elements. When I add images to the article, the "featured image" is 650x250 (which is the display size of the front of site www.nasaspaceflight.com) When I add images to the body of the article, the CMS sizes it to 350x270 - so I have to use images above that, otherwise they'd lose resolution).
« Last Edit: 08/14/2016 10:52 pm by Chris Bergin »
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #2 on: 08/14/2016 10:41 pm »
What we have to work with is the area with the text. The recent forum posts, ads and other items on the right are uniform for all news pages, so there are likely two options open to us.

1) Make images clickable to make them bigger. I would note a lot of times the source image isn't all that much bigger, so not sure how that would work.

2) Have images bigger from the start, across the width of the text. Some sites do that.

And there's the other suggestion of captions, although we add the images with the text around them. Such as we know we're talking about the satellite, guess what, that's an image of the satellite. Not sure what adding a caption saying "The JCSAT-16 Satellite" adds.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #3 on: 08/14/2016 10:43 pm »
So fire away with ideas. Some I'll say "No way dude!". Some may be unworkable. Some may be great and things I hadn't thought about. People savvy at Wordpress will be of help here too. Keep in mind we're working within that text area.

Offline ChrisWilson68

• Sunnyvale, CA
  • Liked: 4992
  • Likes Given: 6459
« Reply #4 on: 08/14/2016 10:55 pm »
It would be great to have captions for the pictures.  Often, it's not clear unless one already recognizes the picture exactly what it's a picture of.  There are credits down at the bottom of the article, but it's not easy to relate those to the specific pictures above, it requires scrolling down to the bottom, and even then it's often not very informative.

Most news sites have some text below each picture that gives a sentence or two about it.  NSF could really benefit from doing that.

Edit: For example, in the JCSAT-16 article:

https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2016/08/spacex-second-jcsat-launch-via-falcon-9/

The second image shows what appears to be a satellite inside a building.  Presumably that's JCSAT-16.  Where was the picture taken?  How long ago?  Was it in the factory where it was built?  Was it at the cape just before encapsulation?

The next picture shows two satellites in space.  Which two are they?  Superbird 8 and Superbird B2?  JCSAT-16 and Superbird B2?  JCSAT-15 and JCSAT-16?

Later, there's a picture of an ASDS.  The text next to it talks about both JRtI and OCISL.  Which is in the picture?  How old is the picture?

Captions would clarify these issues.
« Last Edit: 08/14/2016 11:07 pm by ChrisWilson68 »

Offline NaN

• Liked: 248
  • Likes Given: 232
« Reply #5 on: 08/15/2016 12:04 am »
And there's the other suggestion of captions, although we add the images with the text around them. Such as we know we're talking about the satellite, guess what, that's an image of the satellite. Not sure what adding a caption saying "The JCSAT-16 Satellite" adds.

We really do need captions for the articles. It is obvious to you what each image represents, but even a dedicated NSF stalker like myself often has to guess. For example, in an article that mixes Nathan Koga images with official company images, I cannot easily tell which is which - sometimes it matters.

For the most recent JCSAT-16 article, I will nitpick the first several images on likely questions that readers would have:

Image 1. Where is it located? SSL? SpaceX hangar? Is it actually JCSAT-16 or is it another satellite of the same line which is also discussed immediately adjacent to the image? Why is cantilevered on that arm?
Image 2. Is this a Sky Perfect image? SSL? What is it trying to convey (I actually can't tell; they look like not-quite-identical CGI satellites)
Image 3. Clarification that it is from latest launch and not a file photo is always nice. A lot of news sites simply put up a convenient image of an F9.
Image 4. What attempt was that from? The adjacent text talks about multiple missions.
Image 5. From the latest launch or an image of an F9 v1.2?
Image 7. The adjacent text talks about three separate ASDS. Is this the new one being built, the old one getting decommissioned, or a new barge with the same name? Why is there a cruise ship in the way?

et cetera. IMO, captions would be very useful.

edit: looks like ChrisWilson already covered much of this, so consider this post an extended 'like'
« Last Edit: 08/15/2016 12:08 am by NaN »

Offline Lee Jay

• Elite Veteran
  • Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3603
  • Likes Given: 327
« Reply #6 on: 08/15/2016 12:44 am »
So fire away with ideas.

Both:

1) Make images clickable to make them bigger. I would note a lot of times the source image isn't all that much bigger, so not sure how that would work.

2) Have images bigger from the start, across the width of the text. Some sites do that.

Offline mheney

• The Next Man on the Moon
  • Global Moderator
  • Silver Spring, MD
  • Liked: 398
  • Likes Given: 199
« Reply #7 on: 08/15/2016 01:05 am »
Don't make the pictures larger in the articles.  I think you balance text and graphics pretty nicely as is.

I agree on the desirability for image captions.  I know that they're tied to the paragraphs that they're next to - but captions give you that "quick look" context.

If there's a larger version of the phpto available, link to it - either by clickking on the photo, or having a "(larger)" tag in the
(wait for it ....)  caption!

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #8 on: 08/15/2016 01:22 am »
Okay dokey. Captions are wanted. I did get a PM about a caption plug in for our CMS so I'll look at that. PS I'll create a test article (dated 2005 or something so it won't show to anyone else other than the link it'll create and I'll post in here, to work on these things. So there will be a physical article to see the changes as we make them on this particular subject.

Offline cwr

« Reply #9 on: 08/15/2016 01:44 am »
Okay dokey. Captions are wanted. I did get a PM about a caption plug in for our CMS so I'll look at that. PS I'll create a test article (dated 2005 or something so it won't show to anyone else other than the link it'll create and I'll post in here, to work on these things. So there will be a physical article to see the changes as we make them on this particular subject.

While I agree that captions would be an improvement, I don't think this addresses the biggest issue with images incorporated into articles.

Based on the posts that i've seen, I have the impression that there are 2 similar issues with images:
1) I think slimfeanor desired to be able to view higher res images of photographs or renders that were included in articles.
2) We frequently see images which are captured from NASA powerpoint slides which are very busy. I love the slides but at resolutions of the order of 350 pixels by 204 pixels they are invariably unreadable and communicate zero information other than that the slides exist somewhere.

I'm not familiar with WordPress so I don't know all the constraints that authors have to work with, I think both issues can be solved if the paragraph that refers to the embedded image also incorporates a sentence that says something like:

"higher resolution image available in L2 at http....."

This way it is possible to use L2 membership to prevent non L2 members gaining access to the higher res images which Chris wanted to prevent.

Currently when I click on these small embedded images I can't view the image in another tab or window hence can use the full screen size to view the image. I can save the image but all one gets is the small image.

If the tools do not allow something like the above just provide the URL in plain text so one can access a higher res image that is readable.

Thanks for listening

Carl

Offline Eric Hedman

• The birthplace of the solid body electric guitar
  • Liked: 1950
  • Likes Given: 1139
« Reply #10 on: 08/15/2016 02:12 am »
Can you add a link at the bottom of articles to the discussion thread?  If it isn't listed in the recent forum posts it would be easier to find it.

Offline Moonwatcher

• Haslett, MI
  • Liked: 24
  • Likes Given: 3126
« Reply #11 on: 08/15/2016 02:34 am »
Can you add a link at the bottom of articles to the discussion thread?  If it isn't listed in the recent forum posts it would be easier to find it.

Top and bottom would be even better... ;)

Offline Eagandale4114

• Liked: 541
  • Likes Given: 500
« Reply #12 on: 08/15/2016 02:54 am »
One thing that could help is a responsive image design. The idea is that the site would display images depending on the capabilities of the user reqestimg them. My tiny mobile device doesn't need a very high resolution image however my desktop with a 4K screen would love a lot more pixels.

Offline apirie98

• United Kingdom
  • Liked: 17
  • Likes Given: 33
« Reply #13 on: 08/15/2016 12:33 pm »
For reading the article, the balance between text and images is already quite good and captions or similar would probably clutter the article a bit. How about a caption that appears at the bottom of the image when a user scrolls over it with a mouse (or taps for touchscreen devices) - a click (or a double tap) would bring up a larger version of the image.
"It's Quite Big"  - Elon Musk

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 4548
  • Likes Given: 13523
« Reply #14 on: 08/15/2016 01:23 pm »
I made this suggestion in the logo thread: A different background behind "same logo" for each forum section:
For example, Historical behind NASASPACEFLIGHT a photo or graphic of Apollo on the Moon's surface...etc Oh Nathan ;) ;D
« Last Edit: 08/15/2016 01:25 pm by Rocket Science »
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #15 on: 08/15/2016 04:45 pm »
I made this suggestion in the logo thread: A different background behind "same logo" for each forum section:
For example, Historical behind NASASPACEFLIGHT a photo or graphic of Apollo on the Moon's surface...etc Oh Nathan ;) ;D

We used to do that! Maybe someone can check waybackmachine and find the circa 2009 ish? (I think).

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 4548
  • Likes Given: 13523
« Reply #16 on: 08/15/2016 06:18 pm »

We used to do that! Maybe someone can check waybackmachine and find the circa 2009 ish? (I think).
What a blast from the past... "rocket humor" Here it is! 8)
https://web.archive.org/web/20090311054416/http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #17 on: 08/15/2016 06:51 pm »

What a blast from the past... "rocket humor" Here it is! 8)
https://web.archive.org/web/20090311054416/http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/

Wow! There we go! The old, old NSF, with the different icons for different subject areas on the logo.

But no dedicated SpaceX area back then! ;D

Offline okan170

• Los Angeles
  • Liked: 6806
  • Likes Given: 1345
« Reply #18 on: 08/15/2016 07:19 pm »

I'd be down for providing some graphics for the redesign!  One of the reasons I render at 4k is so that we can have options if we want to use any of the renders for whatever reasons may come, and that seems a reasonably future-proof size.

Wow! There we go! The old, old NSF, with the different icons for different subject areas on the logo.

But no dedicated SpaceX area back then! ;D

Thumbing through the Wayback Machine there, I notice that one of the very first articles there in 2005 is about VG starting suborbital fights.  While you may not have had a SpaceX section yet, it appears some things have been touchstones throughout the site's lifetime!

Offline NaN

• Liked: 248
  • Likes Given: 232
« Reply #19 on: 08/15/2016 08:33 pm »
I will agree with other posters that, given the existing article formatting width, the default image sizes should not change. For images that users can zoom, they should do as overlays or new pages, they should not expand inline and change layout. For L2 images that you're concerned about other sites borrowing without credit, watermarks or limiting the max resolution are options. When you post an FPIP in an article, full resolution would be very nice ;)
Thank you for seeking our feedback.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography