Author Topic: Apollo 12 Full Mission  (Read 14411 times)

Online catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8822
  • Likes Given: 7826
Apollo 12 Full Mission
« on: 07/26/2016 02:41 am »
Apollo 12 Full Mission 01 (SCE to AUX)

BY: lunarmodule5

Published on Jul 25, 2016

The Apollo 12 full mission begins with the countdown and eventual launch on November 14th 1969 on the second lunar landing mission. Onboard are astronauts Pete Conrad, Dick Gordon and Alan Bean.

This video covers the last 3 hours _ of the countdown through to launch and orbit. The launch is infamous as the one that was struck by lightning, which caused electrical issues in the spacecraft but not to the Saturn V.

Audio used is the PAO countdown and at about the 1 min 30 seconds point the audio used is the PAO and the Flight Directors loop in separate channels. That loop includes John Aaron's call of "SCE to AUX".

Photos from the pre mission training and video are used to depict events as they happened approximately synched to the actual events. Orbiter Space Simulator AMSO is used for the simulated sequences where original footage is not available.

My thanks to Project Apollo on Facebook for support and providing photos for this series.

All photos, video and audio is courtesy NASA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQJqAYTwx5g?t=001

« Last Edit: 07/26/2016 02:42 am by catdlr »
Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Online catdlr

Re: Apollo 12 Full Mission
« Reply #1 on: 07/30/2016 11:03 pm »
Apollo 12 - Trans Lunar Injection (Full Mission 02)

lunarmodule5

Published on Jul 30, 2016
Apollo 12 - Trans Lunar Injection (Full Mission 02)

The second video in the full mission series of Apollo 12. Earth Orbit - the crew and MCC check that the lightning strike has not damaged any systems onboard the spacecraft or the booster. The platform is aligned and preparations are made for TLI. President Nixon talks to the launch control team.

This second part of the Apollo 12 mission contains the transcript for the air to ground, photos of the launch and footage of the LCC gathering of Pres Nixon. Where real time video is not available I have used Orbiter Spaceflight Simulator to depict how things might have looked.

All video, audio and photos are courtesy NASA.

Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Online catdlr

« Reply #2 on: 08/20/2016 02:01 am »
Apollo 12 - Hello, Intrepid (Full Mission 03)

lunarmodule5

Published on Aug 19, 2016
Apollo 12 - Hello, Intrepid (Full Mission 03)

The third full mission video for Apollo 12 starts just after TLI. The S4B is positioned for the transposition and docking and the later ejection sequences. The crew show the sequences of docking to the Lunar Module Intrepid, earth shots, the S4B after ejection and interior views.

The audio sequences are incomplete in parts, and are noted in the text. Captions provide a reference to the timeline and photos/16mm sequence camera and simulator footage complete the picture of the first few hours of this flight.

All video/audio/photos are courtesy NASA

My thanks to Gary Scott (Houston controller and INCO on Apollo 13) for providing technical assistance.

Online catdlr

« Reply #3 on: 08/27/2016 07:12 pm »
Apollo 12 - Power Up Intrepid (Full Mission 04)

lunarmodule5

Published on Aug 27, 2016
Apollo 12 - Power Up Intrepid (Full Mission 04)

The fourth installment of the Apollo 12 mission begins with the S4B slingshot and subsequent crew entry into the Lunar Module Intrepid to give it an early check out after MCCH decided to check it had come through the lighning strike at launch. The crew also prepare for PTC and get out of their space suits.

This video covers the 4 to 9 hour stage of the mission. The transcript is included along with orbiter simulator footage.

Photos/video and audio are courtesy NASA

My thanks to Gary Scott (INCO in mission control during Apollo) for his valuable assistance in the making of this series.

Online catdlr

« Reply #4 on: 09/10/2016 11:39 pm »
Apollo 12 - End of Day 1 (Full Mission 05)

lunarmodule5

Published on Sep 10, 2016
Apollo 12 - End of Day 1 (Full Mission 05)

This video covers the 9 to 24 hour point in the Apollo 12 mission. It includes P23s and PTC maneouvres, along with the cew re-entering the LM to check electrical systems and earth descriptions as well as earth and moon photography. The first day ends and the overnight reports come in from the PAO.

All photos and audio are courtesy of NASA. All animated sequences are recorded from Orbiter Space Simulator.

My thanks to Gary Scott, Apollo 13 INCO, for his invaluable insight and knowledge and continuing support for this project.

Online catdlr

« Reply #5 on: 10/03/2016 04:41 am »
Apollo 12 - MCC2 (Full Mission 06)

lunarmodule5

Published on Oct 1, 2016
Apollo 12 - MCC2 (Full Mission 06)

The crew are awake and ready to start "day" 2. The day starts with the morning news, then the crew start preperations for Mid Course Correction 2 (MCC2). This culminates in a TV broadcast of the preperations and the burn itself. This video takes place between 27 and 31 hrs GET.

All video and audio courtesy NASA

Animated sequences are from Orbiter Space Simulator

My thanks to Gary Scott, INCO on Apollo 13, for his continued support of this project.

Online catdlr

« Reply #6 on: 10/19/2016 09:36 pm »
Apollo 12 - Tuna Fish (Full Mission 07)

lunarmodule5

Published on Oct 19, 2016
Apollo 12 - Tuna Fish (Full Mission 07)

IMPORTANT Please note - Part 7 starts some 20 hours after the end of Part 6. This is because the audio from 32 hours GET to 52 GET is not currently available on the NASA audio archive. Once it becomes available I will upload Part 6a etc

Part 7 covers a 10 hour stretch of Day 3 including the infamous tuna fish event. Plans are made for the upcoming TV show.

Orbiter Space Simulator is used to depict the spacecraft as it might have been seen in flight. PTC is exagerated as the spacecraft rotation was in no way as fast as depicted.

Audio is courtesy NASA

Online catdlr

« Reply #7 on: 11/01/2016 03:35 am »
Apollo 12 - Lights, Camera, Action! (Full Mission 08)

lunarmodule5

Published on Oct 31, 2016
Apollo 12 - Lights, Camera, Action! (Full Mission 08)

Day three is coming to a close and the crew give a nearly one hour TV presentation, of the LM inspection and exterior views of the Earth and Moon.

To cut down on the nearly 3 weeks it is taking me to put this series together I have decided to cut the captions except from PAO for the rest of this series. I would advise viewers to follow the action whilst reading the Apollo 12 Flight Journal which is available online and is an excellent resource.

I have used Orbiter Spaceflight Simulator to cover portions of the flight where video is not available.

All video and audio is courtesy NASA.

Online catdlr

« Reply #8 on: 11/21/2016 12:46 pm »
Apollo 12 - LOI Day (Full Mission 09)

lunarmodule5

Published on Nov 20, 2016
Apollo 12 - LOI Day (Full Mission 09)

At the end of the TV transmission the crew settle down for their 3rd night in space. PAO takes us through the night to the wake up call and prperations continue for LOI. The moon is getting closer.

Orbiter Space Simulator is used to depict the spacecraft - PTC is exaggerated and spcacecraft orientations are approximate.

All audio is courtesy NASA.

PAO transcript is included but I do recommend following the flight witht he Apollo 12 Flight Journal at http://history.nasa.gov/ap12fj/10day4_loi.htm

Online catdlr

« Reply #9 on: 01/09/2017 12:53 am »
Apollo 12 - LOI (Full Mission 10)

lunarmodule5

Published on Jan 8, 2017
Apollo 12 - LOI (Full Mission 10)

The crew prepares for the Lunar Orbit Insertion Burn (LOI). The contingency orbit checklist is read up to the crew. The crew conducts an early lunar observation, the spacecraft is turned ready for a scheduled TV show, which is subsequently canceled due to lighting issues. The LOI burn takes place and the crew establishes communications with Houston on AOS.

Audio is courtesy NASA

Video provides comes from Orbiter Space Simulator.

All burns/attitudes are approximate.

Online catdlr

« Reply #10 on: 01/13/2017 08:43 pm »
Apollo 12 - Lunar Orbit TV (Full Mission 11)

lunarmodule5

Published on Jan 13, 2017
Apollo 12 - Lunar orbit TV (Full Mission 11)

The crew conducts a 30 minute TV broadcast on orbit 2 then start preparations for the DOI 2 burn.

Orbiter Space Simulator is used to depict the mission when the real-time video is not available. Burns and attitudes are approximated.

All video/film and audio are courtesy NASA.

I recommend reading the transcript of the mission from the Apollo 12 Flight Journal.

Online catdlr

« Reply #11 on: 01/16/2017 12:51 am »
Apollo 12 - LOI 2 (Full Mission 12)

lunarmodule5

Published on Jan 15, 2017
Apollo 12 - LOI 2 (Full Mission 12)

The crew perform the circularization burn LOI2 and then inspect Intrepid before the lunar landing the following day.

Orbiter Space Simulator and AMSO are used to simulate attitudes and burns. All are approximations. Photos are added where appropriate.

All audio and photos are courtesy NASA.

I recommend using the transcripts on the Apollo 12 flight journal pages.

Online catdlr

« Reply #12 on: 01/22/2017 09:37 pm »
Apollo 12 - PDI Day (Full Mission 13)

lunarmodule5

Published on Jan 22, 2017
Apollo 12 - PDI Day (Full Mission 13)

The mission continues with the first day in lunar orbit ends and a sleep period is taken by the crew, interrupted by Alan Bean about three hours in. The crew is then awakened to begin PDI day.

Orbiter Space Simulator is used to show the spacecraft and video/photos are used when available.

I would recommend the viewer referencing the Apollo 12 Flight Journal and the Apollo Lunar Surface Journal online.

All audio is courtesy NASA.

Online catdlr

« Reply #13 on: 01/24/2017 06:05 am »
Apollo 12 - Yankee Clipper & Intrepid (Full Mission 14)

lunarmodule5

Published on Jan 23, 2017
Apollo 12 - Yankee Clipper & Intrepid (Full Mission 14)

In this video, the crew prepares for undocking the spacecraft. Bean and Conrad suit up and enter Intrepid then go through all the power up procedures before securing the hatch between Intrepid and Yankee Clipper, leaving Dick Gordon. The landing gear is deployed and Gordon oriented the spacecraft ready for the undocking.

Orbiter Space Simulator is used - the thruster firings and the attitudes are approximate.

All photos and audio courtesy NASA.

Online catdlr

« Reply #14 on: 01/28/2017 10:39 pm »
Apollo 12 - The Ocean of Storms (Full Mission 15)

lunarmodule5

Published on Jan 28, 2017
Apollo 12 - The Ocean of Storms (Full Mission 15)

The crew prepares for undocking and TV coverage of that event, followed by the 2nd lunar landing attempt on the Ocean of Storms.

All video/photos and audio is courtesy NASA.

Orbiter Space Simulator is used to depict events where real-time footage is not available. The TV coverage I have is silent and I have guestimated the audio with the film.

Online catdlr

« Reply #15 on: 02/18/2017 10:29 pm »
Apollo 12 - Moonwalk Prep (Full Mission 16)

lunarmodule5

Published on Feb 18, 2017
Apollo 12 - Moonwalk Prep (Full Mission 16)

The LM crew describe their landing site, Dick Gordon spots bot the LM and Surveyor 3 at the landing site and the LM crew press on with preperations for the first moonwalk.

For this video there is no live TV coverage, but I have added in some DAC taken from orbit by Dick Gordon. A variety of checklists and photos as well as some animation from the simulator is useed to depict events. Check lists do contain real time events. A transcript is begun again after the suits are donned which will continue through both moonwalks to come.

I could not have put this video together without sourcing information and photos from both the Apollo Lunar Surface Journal and the Apollo 12 Journal - both are invaluable tools in piecing the story together.

All audio and photos etc are courtesy NASA.

Online catdlr

« Reply #16 on: 03/07/2017 03:40 am »
Apollo 12 - Moonwalking (Full Mission 17)

lunarmodule5

Published on Mar 5, 2017
Apollo 12 - Moonwalking (Full Mission 17)

The first moonwalk begins. Pete Conrad descends the ladder with his infamous small step reference, takes a contingency sample and helps Al Bean descend the ladder. TV problems ensue and the first panoramas are taken. The Solar Wind Experiment is also placed on the surface along with the S Band Antenna.

This is the first of several videos dedicated to the moonwalks of Apollo 12 and would not have been possible without the assistance of the APoloo Lunar Surface Journal, who provided many of the cans of the checklists and my special thanks go to Brian McInall who has provided scans of his Apollo 12 LROC with superimposed annotations, which have enhanced this and subsequent videos. Many many thanks.

All video, audio and photos are courtesy NASA.

Online catdlr

« Reply #17 on: 08/02/2021 05:56 am »
Apollo 12 - The Moonwalk We Never Got To See, Until Now (Full Mission Part 18)

This video shows EVA-1 from the point just after the TV camera failed through to the goodnight calls from Mission Control and PAO announcements overnight to conclude Day 5 of the mission.

LRO imagery has been used as an overlay for "mini" Pete and Al to traverse over. LRO gave us a clear indication of where the astronauts went (their footprint trail is clearly visible), where the AlSEP was laid out, rocks collected, photos taken and their visit to Middle Crescent before returning to the LM at the end of the EVA.

Using the slides created by Brian, we have been able to piece together the whole of the EVA and I have been able to edit all the pieces together to form an accurate record of what happened during the EVA.

As each photo is taken, the photo number will appear on the screen and an arrow will indicate the direction the picture was taken. The original photograph will appear by the side of the slide.

Checklists were taken from the cuff checklist and checklist handbook and reworked for ease of viewing. These appear on the left side of the screen periodically and follow the EVA as the astronauts used it to guide them through the tasks they had to complete.

Various diagrams and pre mission photos of the equipment used as well as all the ALSEP components are used periodically in appropriate places.

Orbiter Space Simulator is used for some of the CSM sequences when Dick Gordon in Yankee Clipper was in contact. I have also used some HD sequences from JAXA which show the lunar surface from orbit and Earth rise/set.

DAC footage that was taken from the Lunar Module after the EVA is added as well as all the post EVA pictures Pete and Al took from inside the LM and the pictures taken that day by Dick Gordon from lunar orbit.

Online catdlr

« Reply #18 on: 08/02/2021 05:58 am »
Apollo 12 - Day 7 Photography and TEI (Full Mission 21)

Day 7 of the mission continues. The crew make an out of plane burn to take photographs of potential landing sites on the final 4 lunar orbits before Trans Earth Injection (TEI) and a TV broadcast.

Online catdlr

« Reply #19 on: 08/02/2021 05:59 am »
Apollo 12 - Day 8 - Trans-Earth Coast (Full Mission 22)

Apollo 12 - Day 8 - Trans-Earrh Coast (Full Mission 22)

Day 8 of the mission continues. After crew wake up they perform a 5 second RCS mid-course correction to put Yankee Clipper into a more refined entry corridor. After the morning news the crew set the spacecraft with the S-Band Antennas facing the sun to analyse the effects of thermal heating on the array. There are then some P23s to align the platform followed by a water dump and the start of Passive Thermal Control (PTC) spin up. The crew also field more questions about the moonwalks.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography