Author Topic: Nexø I Launch: Saturday 12:00 CEST  (Read 20971 times)

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4673
  • Likes Given: 768
Re: Nexø I Launch: Saturday 12:00 CEST
« Reply #40 on: 07/23/2016 06:13 pm »
Was this the first launch of a rocket with an electric fuel pump system?
possibly. I haven't found anything yet that would make that a no.

Offline HVM

• Finland
  • Liked: 1203
  • Likes Given: 596
« Reply #41 on: 07/23/2016 07:28 pm »
What? I tough that BPM5 is just pressure feed, both LOX and ethanol?

Offline Kryten

• Liked: 426
  • Likes Given: 33
« Reply #42 on: 07/23/2016 07:39 pm »
CopSub's cutaway diagram of Nexo (attached) shows a big DC motor in the engine section. If it's not for fuel pumping, I've no idea why it would be there.

Offline Mark McCombs

• SW Washington
  • Liked: 157
  • Likes Given: 2233
« Reply #43 on: 07/23/2016 07:48 pm »
"The test stand had been upgraded with a new automatic pressurization system for this test. The system consists of a 24 liter high pressure tank that can be filled with helium up to 200 bar. This is connected to a PWK06020W proportional valve from HYDAC, generously sponsored by HYDAC. This valve is actually designed to be used in hydraulic systems but we use it to pressurize our propellant tanks. The system proved to work excellent, the HYDAC valve and the control loop we had programmed hit the target pressure of 20.6 bar on the fuel tank spot on. For the next test round it will be fully implemented to the LOX tank as well. With this in place we expect to be able to pressurize the tanks in as little as 30 seconds. And most importantly, it is done automatically without human intervention, this is a must for the upcoming launch of Nexø I where the pressurization prior to flight has to happen immediately before lift off from Sputnik."

http://copenhagensuborbitals.com/bpm5-engine/

I'll have to listen again, but I think they were calling out propellant tank pressures prior to launch.
« Last Edit: 07/23/2016 10:15 pm by Mark McCombs »
"Are you sure you want to go to Red Alert, Sir? It does mean changing the bulb." - Kryten
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory". LLAP - Leonard Nimoy

Offline LtWigglesworth

• New Zealand
  • Liked: 42
  • Likes Given: 58
« Reply #44 on: 07/23/2016 09:01 pm »
CopSub's cutaway diagram of Nexo (attached) shows a big DC motor in the engine section. If it's not for fuel pumping, I've no idea why it would be there.

I think its the actuator for the LOX main valve. I remember seeing one of their videos where they were actuating the valves with DC motors.

Offline WBailey

• Planet Earth
  • Liked: 21
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #45 on: 07/23/2016 09:17 pm »
I like their passion and I'm sure this won't be much of a set back. Get the issues out of the way now is the trick.

I'd be very pleased if I were them, the only real problem is they didn't get to test their parachutes!

Offline Mark McCombs

• SW Washington
« Reply #46 on: 07/23/2016 10:11 pm »
From: http://copenhagensuborbitals.com/nexo-rocket-launched-crashed/

"It was a beautiful launch with a not so great landing. The rocket flew to about 1514 meters before a catastrophic failure occurred."

"Even though it didn’t go completely as planed we still see it as a partially success. A lot of sub systems actually work as they should."

"We managed to recover the rocket. We will therefore have a good chance of finding the root cause of the failure."

"We will post more about the launch and crash after we have had a closer look at the rocket and telemetry data."

« Last Edit: 07/23/2016 10:12 pm by Mark McCombs »
"Are you sure you want to go to Red Alert, Sir? It does mean changing the bulb." - Kryten
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory". LLAP - Leonard Nimoy

Online jamesh9000

• Liked: 165
  • Likes Given: 184
« Reply #47 on: 07/23/2016 10:48 pm »
Well oddly enough, I'm a complete convert after watching this. When so many tiny companies post wildly optimistic powerpoint presentations about all these great things they're going to do, this seems like an outfit with their feet firmly on the ground, and they're doing some great engineering. I hope that they determine the cause of the partial failure, and send something up again soon. Well done!

Offline Stan-1967

• Denver, Colorado
  • Liked: 1183
  • Likes Given: 614
« Reply #48 on: 07/23/2016 11:20 pm »
Gotta love these Danes!   Great unfiltered launch commentary, ( 3:15:30 & 3:21:00  ;D :o) everything they have been working on, posting videos of their progress, etc. all on display today.

It looked like the camera person was expecting the rocket to leap of the pad like some of the previous hybrid launches.   According the GLOW and thrust of BPM5 it looked about like you would expect. ( no so fast )

I chuckle to think of them accomplishing their BPM100 engine!  Their gonna need a bigger boat someday.

Tusind tak CopSub!

Offline Jarnis

• Liked: 830
  • Likes Given: 201
« Reply #49 on: 07/24/2016 11:47 am »
They really are the real life Kerbal Space Program - can't help but to cheer them on.

Online catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8822
  • Likes Given: 7826
« Reply #50 on: 07/25/2016 02:38 pm »
Nexø 1 Launch - Teaser

Copenhagen Suborbitals

Published on Jul 25, 2016

Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline Mark McCombs

• SW Washington
« Reply #51 on: 07/25/2016 04:06 pm »
From:  http://copenhagensuborbitals.com/preliminary-impressions-nexo-flight-event/

Preliminary impressions from Nexø I flight event.

24/07/2016

Posted in: Blog

Posted in: News

Posted in: Nexø News

Author: Niels Foldager

We have not yet had opportunity to examine data, parts or footage.

A tentative speculation on root cause would be simple LOX overload. In other words a problem with measuring the correct amount of LOX in the tank, which we have encountered previously, and worked on solving via several methods. We will look into this.

Too much LOX will result in a too small gas pocket in the tank – which equals too little gas propellant energy and a premature loss of tank pressure in the LOX tank, again resulting in an increasing O/F-ratio mismatch. The engine subsequently extinguished.

The GNC didn’t detect acceleration below minimum, as this detection was removed from the algorithm prior to the mission, based on the fact that the acceleration, through the use of pressure blow-down at relatively low altitude, would be very low before the occurrence of MECO.

The GNC instead used the chamber pressure. This was low at an unusually early time. The GNC treated this as a sensor failure, and instead an estimated pressure, based on a table generated from earlier tests, was used.

Thus the GNC didn’t signal the deployment of the parachute, as it was under the (false) impression that the engine was still operating as expected.

Offline Mark McCombs

• SW Washington
« Reply #52 on: 08/01/2016 05:08 am »
Nexø 1 Guidance, Navigation, & Control sleeps with the fishes.

A look at data and failure analysis.

"Nexø 1 GNC, now resting below 75 meters of water @ N55.034168 E15.601798"

http://copenhagensuborbitals.com/nexo-1-guidance-navigation-control/

Offline Mark McCombs

• SW Washington
« Reply #53 on: 08/14/2016 04:58 pm »
Guidance and Navigation computer data animation.

Offline Stan-1967

• Denver, Colorado
  • Liked: 1183
  • Likes Given: 614
« Reply #54 on: 08/18/2016 07:00 am »
CopSub reporting the overall failure was do to the LOX reaching sub critical temperatures.

https://copenhagensuborbitals.com/data-from-nexo-i/?utm_source=CS+Mailinglist&utm_campaign=72e54a89e3-Post+Nex%C3%B8+I+Newsletter+2&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_fa16329bc0-72e54a89e3-246663449

Things go downhill quickly as a result.  Was still fun to watch, and we will see how they correct the problem and do better next time.

Offline Steven Pietrobon

• Adelaide, Australia
    • Steven Pietrobon's Space Archive
  • Liked: 32738
  • Likes Given: 8196
« Reply #55 on: 08/18/2016 07:49 am »
"The second culprit is the missing thermal isolation around the LOX tank. If we had used the insulation around the LOX tank, then the temperature wouldn’t have risen nearly as much, and Nexø I would have reached a much higher altitude. How much higher is extremely hard to tell, the cost of the lesson learned has been quite dear."

Yes, don't use LOX! Use HTP instead. :-)
Akin's Laws of Spacecraft Design #1:  Engineering is done with numbers.  Analysis without numbers is only an opinion.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography