Author Topic: Jeff Bezos wins Heinlein Prize  (Read 6468 times)

Offline savuporo

• Liked: 970
  • Likes Given: 344
Re: Jeff Bezos wins Heinlein Prize
« Reply #20 on: 09/17/2016 01:43 AM »
  Who would win an Arthur C. Clarke Award? Or the Isaac Asimov Award? :)

A well deserving Arthur C. Clarke award should have gone to Dr. Harold Rosen

Isaac Asimov would probably still be pending, but Rodney Allen Brooks is a good candidate. Or maybe Joseph Frederick Engelberger
Orion - the first and only manned not-too-deep-space craft

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 5370
  • Likes Given: 3553
« Reply #21 on: 09/17/2016 03:04 AM »
Man against Nature. Cooperation. Yes, some competition too, but only compete on executing with excellence, and on efficiency. No cronyism. That's my hope. We'll see. But the inspirational vid that WashPo ran is actually really good. Perfect short bit to convince the mundanes that space is a game changer. Once it goes commercial.
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline sanman

• Liked: 485
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #22 on: 09/17/2016 08:01 AM »
Hopefully competition will be more along technological lines and in the form of technical innovation, which all can benefit from. For instance, imagine if SpaceX and Blue Origin get into an "arms race" on building bigger and more capable rockets - it could lead to radical improvements on space launch capability and on the cost of access to space.

There was a popular videogame series called "Red Faction" which was about Martian miners rebelling against greedy corporate mining overlords from Earth. Hopefully, competition won't lead us towards that kind of unpleasant future - exactly the kind that Heinlein would have written about:

Heinlein sometimes depicted a harsher view of existence in outer space, analogous to previous human endeavors like the colonization of the Americas. Stories of his I remember reading as a child were: Starship Troopers, The Moon is  a Harsh Mistress, Rocketship Galileo, Stranger in a Strange Land, The Puppet Masters, Have Spacesuit Will Travel, Starman Jones, The Starbeast, Between Planets, Time for the Stars, Podkayne of Mars, Space Cadet.

Hopefully, space industry innovation won't just be in launch vehicles, but all the other areas related to maintaining quality of life - particularly in robotics, which will be our essential workforce in space - and probably increasingly on Earth as well.

Offline sdsds

• "With peace and hope for all mankind."
  • Seattle
  • Liked: 577
  • Likes Given: 677
« Reply #23 on: 09/17/2016 08:33 AM »
Two things.

1. Bezos gave the 250,000 dollars to SEDS.

2. Show me the google search (with lmgtfy or whatever) that yields the image of jeff kneeling with the sword in front of a half-dozen people. I assert Google just won't give that image as the result of any query.

(Angels? Envy? Nah!)
-- sdsds --

Online AncientU

• Liked: 2885
  • Likes Given: 4050
« Reply #24 on: 09/17/2016 03:14 PM »
I suspect the opposite... or at least equal measures of both.  As much as idealists want humanity to be different, we are highly motivated by competition and individual achievement.  All mankind sharing equally in the benefits/resources of "Outer Space" sounds great but really isn't viable for humanity as it pragmatically (really) exists.  Who sticks it out there if achievements (profits, glory, whatever) are going to be equally distributed among the planet's 5B people?

Alright, but there's going to have to be a higher standard of ethics out in space - because what if you came across someone stranded out in space and had to make a choice between saving them versus saving your payload or completing your mission? Hopefully outer space won't become dog-eat-dog, because there's enough threat from the environment itself.

The high seas are like this already... plenty competition, winners and losers, and the benefits are an 'opportunity' for all humanity (equality of opportunity and all that) but when airmen or sailors are in need at sea, it is all hands to the rescue -- regardless of nation of origin or registry.  I recall one night on watch when one of our P-3 patrol planes ditched in the North Pacific (closest point of land was reported as Petropovalovsk) -- the Russian (Soviet at the time) response was immediate and unquestioning.  Their merchantman rescued the half of the crew that survived the ditching and exposure to the elements.

Competition and cooperation can co-exist. 
I just don't believe we'll ever get there to find out if we rely on idealism alone.
« Last Edit: 09/17/2016 03:18 PM by AncientU »
"If we shared everything [we are working on] people would think we are insane!"
-- SpaceX friend of mlindner

Tags: