Poll

If cost considerations were eliminated, would you go to Mars?

My feet are planted on this Earth (No)
21 (12.2%)
I'd visit, but not move there permanently
69 (40.1%)
Sign me up. I am ready and willing to move there in the next 12 years
62 (36%)
I want to move there, but need more time to prepare my affairs (more than 12 years)
20 (11.6%)

Total Members Voted: 172

Voting closed: 06/01/2016 04:50 PM

Author Topic: Would you go to Mars on the BFS?  (Read 8346 times)

Offline Rocket Science

• Maker of physicists and engineers…
  • Liked: 1948
  • Likes Given: 4457
Re: Would you go to Mars on the BFS?
« Reply #20 on: 05/03/2016 08:04 PM »
No, never.
Have you seen the place?
Yeah, it kind of looks like this place... ;D
“The laws of physics are unforgiving”...
Rob

Offline RonM

• Atlanta, Georgia USA
  • Liked: 828
  • Likes Given: 654
« Reply #21 on: 05/03/2016 08:44 PM »
The evolution of the answers over time here is interesting. The majority of those who answered the poll quickly were willing to go permanently. Now they aren't in the majority anymore.  Go figure that the more likely you are to answer this immediately the more likely you are to be willing to go.

Or the quicker you answer, the less you've thought about it, and the less you think about it, the more likely you are to say you would go     :)

You people have no sense of adventure. Common sense perhaps, but not adventure.  :)

Offline Big Al

• Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #22 on: 05/03/2016 09:09 PM »
I would go, in fact I've all ready asked my wife and adult children if I could go. They all said if that is what I want to do , it's OK by them.
 My first challenge is to come up with the half million dollars that Musk quoted for the trip.
 Second challenge is that I will be 82 years old by then! I guess a carbon fiber tombstone wold be part of my baggage!

Offline cro-magnon gramps

• Very Ancient Caveman
  • Ontario, Canada
  • Liked: 610
  • Likes Given: 4053
« Reply #23 on: 05/03/2016 11:04 PM »
The evolution of the answers over time here is interesting. The majority of those who answered the poll quickly were willing to go permanently. Now they aren't in the majority anymore.  Go figure that the more likely you are to answer this immediately the more likely you are to be willing to go.

Or the quicker you answer, the less you've thought about it, and the less you think about it, the more likely you are to say you would go     :)

OR you have thought about it for 40 years and now it is happening...
"Hate, it has caused a lot of problems in the world, but it has not solved one yet." Maya Angelou
 Tony Benn: "Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself."

Offline CraigLieb

• Dallas Fort Worth
  • Liked: 605
  • Likes Given: 619
« Reply #24 on: 05/04/2016 03:11 AM »
I expect the poll to shift and people can change their vote as they contemplate this awesome possibility.

With a commercial capsule planned to leave in 2 years, it feels like it is more real. And so maybe they are more serious in their answers.
Applicant for Astronaut Candidate for class of 2017 - Colonize Mars!

Online fishbait

• wanna buy a paddle matey?
  • Sydney, NSW , Australia
  • Liked: 6
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #25 on: 05/04/2016 03:28 AM »
If any thing happens to me send my dust there in a capsule 2018.

Offline HankinNM

• Mountainair, NM
  • Liked: 17
  • Likes Given: 21
« Reply #26 on: 05/04/2016 07:15 PM »
I would love to go, and have been wanting to get off of this planet ever since I watched the Apollo moon landings on Dad's b&w TV.  I'll be in my mid-70's by then, but will still be able to work (dishwasher or waiter at a swanky Martian resort!) :)
Not an engineer or a mathematician.  Just a rabid space/astronomy freak and Spacex 'groupie'.

Offline TomH

• CA
  • Liked: 587
  • Likes Given: 180
« Reply #27 on: 05/04/2016 09:13 PM »
I'd visit and return. Alternately, if I outlive my wife and my daughter gives me no grandchildren, I'd go for good late in life.

Online guckyfan

• Germany
  • Liked: 1432
  • Likes Given: 1143
« Reply #28 on: 05/05/2016 12:55 AM »
I voted yes I would go.

Ignoring that I am too old and not fit enough. ;)

Offline FinalFrontier

• Space Watcher
  • Liked: 231
  • Likes Given: 111
« Reply #29 on: 05/05/2016 01:14 AM »
Yes without a second thought even if it were a one way trip.

If SpaceX was willing to put a volunteer on top of FH in 2018 for Red Dragon on a one way trip I'd put myself on that vehicle without a second thought, just so I could have that chance even if it meant death.

Without a second thought. There are some things worth dying for Mars is one of them.
3-30-2017: The start of a great future
"Live Long and Prosper"

Offline KelvinZero

• Liked: 370
  • Likes Given: 81
« Reply #30 on: 05/05/2016 01:46 AM »
No vote.

It all depends on what infrastructure is actually on Mars, not just for my own comfort but also before I could decide if I would be any use there or a dead weight.

I would possibly be interested in living a few years in an isolated trial Mars community here on earth somewhere, which would be an extremely good and (comparatively) cheap project from a technical standpoint also. It would also be an excellent requirement for anyone before actually going to Mars.

Offline RonM

• Atlanta, Georgia USA
  • Liked: 828
  • Likes Given: 654
« Reply #31 on: 05/05/2016 03:48 AM »
I would possibly be interested in living a few years in an isolated trial Mars community here on earth somewhere, which would be an extremely good and (comparatively) cheap project from a technical standpoint also. It would also be an excellent requirement for anyone before actually going to Mars.

That's a good idea, especially for the early missions. Make each crew stay at the test Mars community for a year to see if the individuals can stand the isolation. Changing your mind once you're on Mars isn't a good option.

Thrown in a BFS trip simulation too.

Offline AJW

• Liked: 481
  • Likes Given: 62
« Reply #32 on: 05/08/2016 02:39 AM »
I might consider going so long as I have access to NSF and can still keep up with the latest in space flight news.

Offline The Amazing Catstronaut

• Arsia Mons, Mars, Sol IV, Inner Solar Solar System, Sol system.
  • Liked: 753
  • Likes Given: 622
« Reply #33 on: 05/08/2016 03:22 AM »
I might consider going so long as I have access to NSF and can still keep up with the latest in space flight news.

You can check on NSF updates to the launch you're sitting on top of. That'll be surreal.
Resident feline spaceflight expert. Knows nothing of value about human spaceflight.

Offline CraigLieb

• Dallas Fort Worth
« Reply #34 on: 05/08/2016 10:40 PM »

You can check on NSF updates to the launch you're sitting on top of. That'll be surreal.

Or better yet, post stream of consciousness NSF exclusives.

Offline philw1776

• Seacoast NH
  • Liked: 365
  • Likes Given: 204
« Reply #35 on: 05/09/2016 06:27 PM »
Need a category would go but odds overwhelming that won't be above ground when BFS flies folks to Mars.
“When it looks more like an alien dreadnought, that’s when you know you’ve won.”

Offline CraigLieb

• Dallas Fort Worth
« Reply #36 on: 05/09/2016 06:29 PM »
Need a category would go but odds overwhelming that won't be above ground when BFS flies folks to Mars.

that would fall into the willing, but not able (feet and everything else) planted on/under the ground.

Offline KelvinZero

• Liked: 370
  • Likes Given: 81
« Reply #37 on: 05/11/2016 02:19 AM »

That's a good idea, especially for the early missions. Make each crew stay at the test Mars community for a year to see if the individuals can stand the isolation. Changing your mind once you're on Mars isn't a good option.

Thrown in a BFS trip simulation too.
I just stumbled on this link:

Place might be going cheap too. I would love someone to figure out a way to keep these places going, perhaps as some sort of IT hermitage or something. I just really like the idea of a city around a mall with great internet right next to true wilderness, and you only need one good road/rail line connecting you to other 'nodes', the opposite of urban sprawl. This place does look a bit dank but I think we could design much nicer ones.

Offline The Amazing Catstronaut

• Arsia Mons, Mars, Sol IV, Inner Solar Solar System, Sol system.
  • Liked: 753
  • Likes Given: 622
« Reply #38 on: 05/13/2016 06:08 PM »

Place might be going cheap too. I would love someone to figure out a way to keep these places going, perhaps as some sort of IT hermitage or something. I just really like the idea of a city around a mall with great internet right next to true wilderness, and you only need one good road/rail line connecting you to other 'nodes', the opposite of urban sprawl. This place does look a bit dank but I think we could design much nicer ones.

I'm an indoors type - I'd live in Whittier in a heartbeat if there were any residences going (there aren't right now). For some reason I revel in being able to do a certain thing in a certain space, just so long as I have lots of new and interesting tasks to do and skills to learn and acquire. That in itself is as benign a journey in my eyes as a thousand square miles.

It's partly why I feel I'd be good for Mars. I wouldn't be retired by then and I wouldn't really mind being locked in an airtight bank vault for the rest of my life, so long as it was a productive bank vault and I felt I was advancing the human race.

Besides, needing more personal volume is an incentive to build.

Only thing I'd miss is flying fixed winged aircraft. But hey, I'd have a good part of a year in a spaceship. That's some reassurance.
« Last Edit: 05/13/2016 06:10 PM by The Amazing Catstronaut »
Resident feline spaceflight expert. Knows nothing of value about human spaceflight.

Offline JasonAW3

• Claremore, Ok.
  • Liked: 356
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #39 on: 05/13/2016 06:57 PM »
I think Whittier is probably a pretty good model of a Mars type community, however; A bit more interior room would likely be a good idea, at least for psychological reasons.

While having access to windows and that is great, on Mars you'd want to limit this as radiation hazards as well as depressurization issues would come into play.

Should it prove possible, through some form of "sandwiching" of polymer layers between quartz glass, cheaply, the Whittier format might be acceptable, but having some at least semi-open green spaces, like in a mall type surrounding, would likely be a very good idea.

I suspect having a central open area, likely domed over and covered with regolith, as well as using light pipes to bring in supplemented sunlight, (as we all know, there's a lot less sunlight on Mars than on Earth) would go a long ways to help in both the psychology area, as well as physiologically.  (It's quite common that places in the northern and southern regions of the world, that have several months of darkness during the year, often use supplemental sunlamps to help generate vitamin D in the bodies of people isolated like this).

Also, by making the colony more enticing in appearance, it is more likely to draw more colonists than if it more resembles an Antarctic military base.  (Of course, having a facility that is reminiscent of either base in the movies, "The Thing" is something that tends to reside in the collective unconscious.  Yeah, I know it's just a movie, but does the deep reptile part of the brain know that?)

Besides, if I'm going to blow my entire life's savings on a one way trip to Mars, I, by gosh, want something nice that I can live in!
My God!  It's full of universes!

Tags: