Author Topic: Best UK Postgrad?  (Read 3514 times)

Offline Calsattack

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Best UK Postgrad?
« on: 03/26/2016 07:50 PM »
I am currently completing a Physics degree but have decided I would like to switch to become an Astronautical Engineer. At this point it is not really possible for me to switch so I will have to make the switch at postgrad. Most postgraduate programs I have looked at accept people with Physics degrees so that is good. My question is what are the best institutions to pursue a postgrad masters or PhD in the UK in Astronautical Engineering? Thanks in advance.

Offline MikeAtkinson

• Bracknell, England
  • Liked: 391
  • Likes Given: 50
Re: Best UK Postgrad?
« Reply #1 on: 03/26/2016 08:37 PM »
The Mullard space science laboratory (UCL) has a good reputation for scientific payloads.

University of Surrey still has links with SSTL and has a good reputation for space engineering.

We had a undergrad from University of Southampton working for us a couple of years ago, he had lots of good things to say about the course, but don't know about postgrad courses.

You might also look into Cranfield.

Offline Eric Hedman

• Liked: 176
  • Likes Given: 152
« Reply #2 on: 03/26/2016 09:00 PM »
I am currently completing a Physics degree but have decided I would like to switch to become an Astronautical Engineer. At this point it is not really possible for me to switch so I will have to make the switch at postgrad. Most postgraduate programs I have looked at accept people with Physics degrees so that is good. My question is what are the best institutions to pursue a postgrad masters or PhD in the UK in Astronautical Engineering? Thanks in advance.
Welcome to the forum.  As you continue with your education, and gain experience I hope you feel free to contribute to the forums here.

Have you considered schools outside the UK?  I suspect some of the best careers will be in international projects.  Continuing your education in another country will only open a wider range of career options.

In the US the following site has a pretty good ranking of schools:

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-engineering-schools/aerospace-rankings

The following is a list of schools country by country:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_aerospace_engineering_schools
« Last Edit: 03/26/2016 09:17 PM by Eric Hedman »

Offline Calsattack

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: 03/27/2016 12:16 AM »
The Mullard space science laboratory (UCL) has a good reputation for scientific payloads.

University of Surrey still has links with SSTL and has a good reputation for space engineering.

We had a undergrad from University of Southampton working for us a couple of years ago, he had lots of good things to say about the course, but don't know about postgrad courses.

Thanks. When you say "we" who do you mean?

Offline MikeAtkinson

• Bracknell, England
  • Liked: 391
  • Likes Given: 50
« Reply #4 on: 03/27/2016 05:37 AM »

Thanks. When you say "we" who do you mean?

Kognitio, which does an in-memory analytic database for big data.

The one time I actually worked in the space industry was in the mid 1990's when our group at Nortel was part of a EU funded project for a broadband satellite constellation with Matra Marconi Space, University of Surrey, University of Rome, University of Athens and a couple of minor parties (one of which might have been the UCL).

Tags: