Author Topic: General Hypersonic Flight Related Topics  (Read 9727 times)

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 1047
  • Likes Given: 152
General Hypersonic Flight Related Topics
« Reply #40 on: 02/20/2017 12:38 PM »
Well my post has been censored but it doesn't matter. I say it again (perhaps more politely) David Axe knows little about spaceflight and it is more clickbait than anything else.
As for the Daily Mail it is hardly better.

I think we are talking at cross purposes here as I was referring to the classified report that Aviation Week were reporting on.
« Last Edit: 02/20/2017 12:39 PM by Star One »

Offline Archibald

• Liked: 173
  • Likes Given: 461
Re: General Hypersonic Flight Related Topics
« Reply #41 on: 02/20/2017 04:05 PM »
Russia Is Building a Nuclear Space Bomber
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/07/14/russia-is-building-a-nuclear-space-bomber.html

Russia reveals hypersonic stealth bomber that can launch nuclear attacks from space: Radical plane could begin testing in 2020
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3689325/Russia-reveals-hypersonic-stealth-bomber-launch-nuclear-attacks-space-Radical-plane-begin-testing-2020.html

I reacted to this post, more exactly to the links, which are pretty bad (a nuclear space bomber ? really ? powered by fairy dust ?)

Offline john smith 19

• Everyplaceelse
  • Liked: 641
  • Likes Given: 3441
« Reply #42 on: 02/20/2017 11:29 PM »
I reacted to this post, more exactly to the links, which are pretty bad (a nuclear space bomber ? really ? powered by fairy dust ?)
Yet Another SCramjet powered plan.   :(

It just does not add up.

The Russians have an ICBM that can hit anywhere on the planet in less than 30 mins already. They've sunk a lot of cash into that and it seems to work alright.

As has been noted an X37b could carry a nuclear warhead in it's payload bay but why would it?

"Solids are a branch of fireworks, not rocketry. :-) :-) ", Henry Spencer 1/28/11  Averse to bold? You must be in marketing."It's all in the sequencing" K. Mattingly.  STS-Keeping most of the stakeholders happy most of the time.

Offline QuantumG

• Australia
  • Liked: 2530
  • Likes Given: 594
« Reply #43 on: 02/21/2017 10:16 PM »
As has been noted an X37b could carry a nuclear warhead in it's payload bay but why would it?

Weapons to fight the Goa'uld.
When someone is wishing for a pony, there's little to be gained by suggesting a unicorn would be ever better.. ya know, unless it's sarcasm.

Offline R7

• Propulsophile
    • Don't worry.. we can still be fans of OSC and SNC
  • Liked: 942
  • Likes Given: 663
« Reply #44 on: 02/22/2017 08:56 AM »
Weapons to fight the Goa'uld.

Ah so if Americans fail to get all of them in orbit then Russian bomber will finish the job by nuking all the landed motherships.
Now it all makes sense.
AD·ASTRA·ASTRORVM·GRATIA

Offline Ronsmytheiii

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 423
  • Likes Given: 215
« Reply #45 on: 02/24/2017 02:29 PM »
Classified Report On Hypersonics Says U.S. Lacking Urgency

Sounds to me more like a call for more money by someone frustrated at the current lack of progress..

After all, it wouldn't be the first time in the history of aerospace that "The Russians Are Coming!" evoked a response from those holding the purse-strings.  :P

Yeah like that time people complained about Sputnik just for money......

Or maybe there is a real threat that unbiased experts now recognize as a threat, after all it is very arrogant to doubt the advanced engineering and determination of both Russia and China to develop hypersonic weapons.

Offline john smith 19

• Everyplaceelse
  • Liked: 641
  • Likes Given: 3441
« Reply #46 on: 02/24/2017 10:23 PM »
Or maybe there is a real threat that unbiased experts now recognize as a threat, after all it is very arrogant to doubt the advanced engineering and determination of both Russia and China to develop hypersonic weapons.
Historically the US has flown ramjet missiles to M5. It just took a stuck fuel valve and IIRC worked quite well (till it ran out of fuel)  :)

The problem with hypersonic flight is not that it can't be done, it's when people insist on doing it in the atmosphere and using a SCramjet to do it. If you're OK with using a rocket it's (relatively speaking) not that difficult. If you want longer range in the same package then ramjets can already do that with reasonable T/W.

Engineering a long range hypersonic missile using a conventional ramjet is within the current SoA. The toughest part is likely to be the structure and the TPS.
"Solids are a branch of fireworks, not rocketry. :-) :-) ", Henry Spencer 1/28/11  Averse to bold? You must be in marketing."It's all in the sequencing" K. Mattingly.  STS-Keeping most of the stakeholders happy most of the time.

Tags: