Author Topic: Orion Discussion Thread 2  (Read 54494 times)

Online woods170

• IRAS fan
  • IRAS fan
  • The Netherlands
  • Liked: 2108
  • Likes Given: 613
Re: Orion Discussion Thread 2
« Reply #240 on: 03/08/2017 05:29 PM »

How is Dragon V2 designed for BLEO?

The first part of the answer is the heat shield. It is overbuilt for LEO. It will allow for higher speed re-entry that is required for BLEO missions. The moon free return mission is the case in point.

The second part is the ECLSS system can handle longer duration missions.

I understand the heat shield (otherwise the moon mission would be off the table) but the ECLSS?  I haven't seen anything indicating how long the ECLSS can support crew.

I have. And it's substantially longer than the few days required to hop crews to and from the ISS.

Offline Welsh Dragon

• Liked: 83
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #241 on: 03/08/2017 06:06 PM »
Don't forget it's designed for 7 people. Take 4 or 5 out, and you'll be able to stretch the ECLSS a lot further already.

Offline Khadgars

• Long Beach, California
  • Liked: 94
  • Likes Given: 334
« Reply #242 on: 03/08/2017 07:44 PM »

The first part of the answer is the heat shield. It is overbuilt for LEO. It will allow for higher speed re-entry that is required for BLEO missions. The moon free return mission is the case in point.

I understand the heat shield (otherwise the moon mission would be off the table) but the ECLSS?  I haven't seen anything indicating how long the ECLSS can support crew.

I have. And it's substantially longer than the few days required to hop crews to and from the ISS.

Understood and thank you for the update. 

Offline sdsds

• "With peace and hope for all mankind."
  • Seattle
  • Liked: 571
  • Likes Given: 669
« Reply #243 on: 03/09/2017 06:21 AM »
Yet the mission for which Orion is designed includes staging in low lunar orbit.  That's pretty striking when you consider that access to the lunar poles was a design requirement.

It's all about the engine(s) used for LOI and lunar braking descent. In this context that is to say, "For Orion, lunar surface access was all about Altair."
« Last Edit: 03/09/2017 06:22 AM by sdsds »
-- sdsds --

Offline b0objunior

• Liked: 20
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #244 on: 03/09/2017 06:32 AM »

What, like a week or more?

Offline Flying Beaver

« Reply #245 on: 03/09/2017 08:56 PM »
Could the launch trajectory be changed for a crewed EM-1 to launch into the plane of the ISS? It would be still possible to get to the Moon (be it only one window a month), and it would allow the ISS to be used as a life-boat if a docking port was added to Orion for the flight (or maybe just EVA transfer :P).

Only real reason though would be orbital debris or MMO strikes to the heat shield in LEO.

Saw OG-2 Booster Land in person 21/12/2015.

Tags: